The JP HOF poll, are we the Joe Montana 49ers

Are the Eagles the closest thing to Joe Montana's 49ers  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Eagles the closest thing to Joe Montana's 49ers

• Yes
    • No, dumbest thing I have ever heard

This poll is closed to new votes

After reading this gem, apparently none of us have realized the "obvious", what say you.

Do the 2022 Eagles resemble Montana's 49ers more than any other team in history

5 hours ago, JP HOF said:

I live several states away from Philly these days.  We have a wing joint that has an Eagles crowd that meets to watch Birds games, and everyone was exceptionally friendly from the getgo, it is like a brotherhood.  Presumably that's what this forum should be like but with the help of 2 of the most wretched individuals ever to post on a forum, downundermike and bwestbrook, it's always an unpleasant situation, never fails to be.

so I'll make my last point and move on down the road.  Must not be many longterm fans here, or anywhere because I've seen noone in social media ever mention the obvious fact that this year's Birds offense more resembles Montana's 49ers than any team in history.

2 minutes ago, Kz! said:

The downundermike go a couple of days without getting into a slap fight on a message board challenge.

(impossible)

Cmon man, the dude said 

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Must not be many longterm fans here, or anywhere because I've seen noone in social media ever mention the obvious fact that this year's Birds offense more resembles Montana's 49ers than any team in history.

I am now putting it out to all, have we all missed the fact that we resemble the Joe Montana 49ers. :roll:

1 hour ago, Kz! said:

The downundermike go a couple of days without getting into a slap fight on a message board challenge.

(impossible)

Bingo!

1 hour ago, Kz! said:

(impossible)

17 minutes ago, Procus said:

Bingo!

That is funny coming from the two guys who's entire existence revolves around getting into slap fights on a message board in the political sub forum of a football message board

The Montana 49ers went into Philly and crushed the Randall/Reggie/Jerome Eagles by 19 points.

12 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't know how they're calculating that but I disagree. Nothing shameful to admit we're winning against a weak conference and schedule IMO

Pats had a weak division for Brady's tenure there and won Lombardi's

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't know how they're calculating that but I disagree. Nothing shameful to admit we're winning against a weak conference and schedule IMO

Pats had a weak division for Brady's tenure there and won Lombardi's

They are calculating that on teams' winning percentages to date (although that info came out before Thursday's game).

Trying to be objective here:

I don't think it's just strength of opponents, Eagles have also been lucky in that the "toughest" games have all been home games: Vikings, Cowboys, maybe Jags.

The Eagles really only faced one "quality" opponent on the road, and that was Arizona. And it was the one game we came closest to losing.

So when people say that we had an "easy" schedule, I can see their point of view. We really did have a favorable early half of the season. 

I think the upcoming Colts and Giants road games will be a better gauge of just how good this team really is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

NFC being as weak as it is definitely impacting that

Honestly, I don't even know what you're talking about. Who are the AFC powerhouse teams this season? The Bills are living up to expectations. The Chiefs still seem pretty good, albeit, a little less explosive this season compared to the last couple. Then who do you have, the Jets? Dolphins? Ravens? Titans? There are 4 teams with 6 or more  wins in the NFC compared to just one in the AFC. Just like in 2018 when the Eagles were no longer the 2017 team, those great AFC teams from last season aren't necessarily great in 2022. 

The NFC in 2022 isn't "weaker" than the AFC. I have no idea where this notion is being derived from. Both conferences, IMO, seem to be pretty much the same.

16 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Honestly, I don't even know what you're talking about. Who are the AFC powerhouse teams this season? The Bills are living up to expectations. The Chiefs still seem pretty good, albeit, a little less explosive this season compared to the last couple. Then who do you have, the Jets? Dolphins? Ravens? Titans? There are 4 teams with 6 or more  wins in the NFC compared to just one in the AFC. Just like in 2018 when the Eagles were no longer the 2017 team, those great AFC teams from last season aren't necessarily great in 2022. 

The NFC in 2022 isn't "weaker" than the AFC. I have no idea where this notion is being derived from. Both conferences, IMO, seem to be pretty much the same.

Agree to disagree

• Like 1

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

For those who voted yes, @Captain F @beto_eagles @dawkins4prez please explain how we are like the Montana 49ers.

Not trying to start drama, legitimately curious why you think that.  Our offense is nothing that resembles that offense.

I just wanted to be first to say yes.  

19 hours ago, downundermike said:

For those who voted yes, @Captain F @beto_eagles @dawkins4prez please explain how we are like the Montana 49ers.

Not trying to start drama, legitimately curious why you think that.  Our offense is nothing that resembles that offense.

I like to throw gas on fires?  only thing we are short is a Tom Rathman.  WE NEED A BIG BACK!!!! 🤣

• Haha 1

I'm sure there are similarities. Montana's teams always ran a bit more than they passed. It will be easier to do a comparison after 16 games are played, but for now:

1984 49ers:

Tot Yds & TO     Passing Rushing Penalties
Player PF Yds Ply Y/P TO FL 1stD Cmp Att Yds TD Int NY/A 1stD Att Yds TD Y/A 1stD Pen Yds 1stPy
Team Stats 475 6366 1057 6.0 22 12 356 312 496 3901 32 10 7.5 204 534 2465 21 4.6 138 100 884 14
Opp. Stats 227 5176 1029 5.0 38 13 302 298 546 3381 14 25 5.7 173 432 1795 10 4.2 101 91 723 28
Lg Rank Offense 2 2     1 4 3   15 4 2 1 2   6 3 2 2        
Lg Rank Defense 1 10     10 17 10   22 17 1 7 11   3 7 2 21        

2022 Eagles (to date):

Tot Yds & TO     Passing Rushing Penalties   Average Drive
Player PF Yds Ply Y/P TO FL 1stD Cmp Att Yds TD Int NY/A 1stD Att Yds TD Y/A 1stD Pen Yds 1stPy #Dr Sc% TO% Start Time Plays Yds Pts
Team Stats 225 3128 539 5.8 3 1 188 164 241 1938 12 2 7.4 97 276 1190 16 4.3 76 43 324 15 85 42.4 3.5 Own 29.3 3:02 6.46 36.6 2.59
Opp. Stats 135 2392 505 4.7 18 6 161 170 291 1421 10 12 4.5 93 188 971 6 5.2 55 45 351 13 82 25.6 22.0 Own 25.0 2:43 6.2 29.3 1.55
Lg Rank Offense 3 5     1 1 3   24 10 13 2 4   2 6 1 22           7 32 5 5 5 4 3
Lg Rank Defense 4 4     1 5 19   26 3 12 2 2   5 18 12 29           32 1 1 9 25 8 4

I don't see this team and say to myself, "it reminds me of the 49ers in 1984," or anything. It's kind of a weird comparison, but as I said, I'm sure you can find something specific that is similar --- probably several things. But I'm not sure why this debate is very important. We get all kinds of weird stats, facts, and comparisons all year that really don't mean anything. Remember when Tampa had never won a game in freezing temperatures? That's because they are in a warm weather climate and were a bottom feeder for most of their history to that point so they didn't play a lot of games at those temps and when they did, they were a bad team. Unfortunately, they weren't a bad team when we hosted them in the NFCCG in below freezing temps. 

So we get bombarded by meaningless stats, facts, and comparisons all the time. For all I know, Hurts is the 1st QB in NFL history to squat 600 lbs, that played for his father in high school, and began the year 8-0 as the starter after losing a postseason game as the 7th seed the following year. What does this mean? Nothing.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, opa-opa said:

The Eagles really only faced one "quality" opponent on the road, and that was Arizona. And it was the one game we came closest to losing.

So when people say that we had an "easy" schedule, I can see their point of view. We really did have a favorable early half of the season. 

I think the upcoming Colts and Giants road games will be a better gauge of just how good this team really is. 

Take it one step further - in the last two road games, the Eagles looked so so in winning.  Of all the road games, only the game against the Redskins was a strong win.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 11:46 AM, downundermike said:

That is funny coming from the two guys who's entire existence revolves around getting into slap fights on a message board in the political sub forum of a football message board

Procus isn't allowed to post there anymore though.

Hahahahahhahahahaha

10 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

Procus isn't allowed to post there anymore though.

Hahahahahhahahahaha

Yeah. The tight-knit group of lefties over there must be real proud of squelching one more person with a different point of view. Comply and align or face the consequences!

• Haha 1