Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

Down 5 runs will pretty much do it. 

besides Alonso and the first hit of the game, every Mets hit is a freaking bloop hit 

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Down 5 runs will pretty much do it. 

Yup. Wheeler doesn't have it today and the offense sucks as well.

1 hour ago, John Blutarski said:

Yup. Wheeler doesn't have it today and the offense sucks as well.

I think you see at this point why we need harper and schwarber to win against better teams like the Mets. Can beat up on lesser opponents. Can even hang with the Braves but the 6-8 at bats hall and vierling are giving you aren’t good especially cause marsh and JT are a combined 0-17 for the series. Harper and schwarber give protection to the guys around them and have the ability to change the game with one at bat. Yesterday’s game might have been different if harper or schwarber in 1 of those 8 at bats went yard. Might be looking at 2 of 3 instead of losing 2 of 3 

Really love to play the Mets with scherzer and degrom with Harper and schwarber in the lineup. Schwarber isn’t good against degrom but he’s done well against scherzer. Harper has been really good against both. 

schwarber is 4-11 (.363), .533 OBP and 2 HRs vs. scherzer in his career. 

harper is 12-41 (.293). 2 HRs and a .442 OBP vs. degrom. 6-20 (.300), 3 HRs and .440 OBP vs. scherzer 

• Like 2

Phillies might wanna consider moving Bohm back down in the lineup once schwarber returns. Bohm in august is hitting .200 (9-45) and his on base percentage is .260. He was much better lower in the lineup. 

• Like 1

And knebel is now hurt. Not sure why we were using him down 6-0 to begin with. He’s been awful against the Mets and we aren’t coming back from down 6-0. Shouldve just gone with guys who we can burn as we don’t have an off day til Thursday 

Meh.  Too much hype about this team after beating bad teams.  Reality is they might back into the playoffs but probably won’t win a game.  This team refuses to rise to the occasion and as usual the entire lineup goes ice cold at once.  Way too inconsistent.  Shut out in 3 of their last 4.  September is getting close…..

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Meh.  Too much hype about this team after beating bad teams.  Reality is they might back into the playoffs but probably won’t win a game.  This team refuses to rise to the occasion and as usual the entire lineup goes ice cold at once.  Way too inconsistent.  Shut out in 3 of their last 4.  September is getting close…..

Not having schwarber and harper makes it infinitely worse. harper actually hits degrom well for his career. And both have hit scherzer well. Schwarber is hitting .375 against bassitt for his career. Could potentially change a lot in this series.

The issue with not having those two in this type of series, is that you have to use hall who I don’t think it’s ready for this type of matchup. You have to use Verling who is a platoon outfielder. And you have marsh who’s basically striking out at a 70% clip and an easy out. I just don’t see him ever being a consistent MLB hitter. Also forces bohm into the 3 hole which isn’t where you want him. Twice he came up with bases loaded, it’s much different if harper is batting 3 hole there. 

I get what you’re saying is that they all go cold particularly against the Mets this year. However the Mets have had the fortunate luck of always facing the Phillies at the most opportune time. The Phillies were terrible in May. the Mets got to face them 7 times. They went 6-1. The Mets get to face the Phillies right as Kyle Schwarber gets hurt and Bryce Harper is about two weeks away from playing again. I don’t know if the Phillies can beat the Mets with them but they definitely can’t without them. 

when harper and schwarber return i would like to see a lineup like this 

stott

hoskins

harper

realmuto

schwarber

segura 

castellanos 

bohm

marsh 

The reason why I move Schwarber down in the lineup is because I think stott and Hoskins can get on base for Harper and realmuto. Stott is playing really well and his average and OBP since the break makes him an ideal leadoff guy. And gives you the same L-R-L-R-L-R to start. so they don’t just hit solo home runs and have more opportunities to drive in runs. And then you can reset the lineup with schwarber and Segura who can still hit a bomb if Harper/realmuto fail to and get on base for Nick Castellanos and bohm to bring them in. The only major hole in that lineup is marsh 

the Phillies issue is really the Mets. They are actually decently good against the rest of the NL playoff teams. It’s a problem they don’t have harper and schwarber. It’s a problem that we tend to just not play well at citi field. We are 2-7 (2-4 at home; really we a 6 run lead in the 9th in one of them). I feel Like the 06 Phillies had this issue and they had to learn to beat the Mets and eventually broke through in 07 in doing so  

Mets 4-11

dodgers 4-3

braves 6-6

padres 4-3

cardinals 4-3

brewers 4-2 

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not having schwarber and harper makes it infinitely worse. harper actually hits degrom well for his career. And both have hit scherzer well. Schwarber is hitting .375 against bassitt for his career. Could potentially change a lot in this series.

The issue with not having those two in this type of series, is that you have to use hall who I don’t think it’s ready for this type of matchup. You have to use Verling who is a platoon outfielder. And you have marsh who’s basically striking out at a 70% clip and an easy out. I just don’t see him ever being a consistent MLB hitter. Also forces bohm into the 3 hole which isn’t where you want him. Twice he came up with bases loaded, it’s much different if harper is batting 3 hole there. 

I get what you’re saying is that they all go cold particularly against the Mets this year. However the Mets have had the fortunate luck of always facing the Phillies at the most opportune time. The Phillies were terrible in May. the Mets got to face them 7 times. They went 6-1. The Mets get to face the Phillies right as Kyle Schwarber gets hurt and Bryce Harper is about two weeks away from playing again. I don’t know if the Phillies can beat the Mets with them but they definitely can’t without them. 

when harper and schwarber return i would like to see a lineup like this 

stott

hoskins

harper

realmuto

schwarber

segura 

castellanos 

bohm

marsh 

The reason why I move Schwarber down in the lineup is because I think stott and Hoskins can get on base for Harper and realmuto. Stott is playing really well and his averaging and OBP since the break makes him an ideal leadoff guy. And gives you the same L-R-L-R-L-R to start. so they don’t just hit solo home runs and have more opportunities to drive in runs. And then you can reset the lineup with schwarber and Segura who can still hit a bomb if Harper/realmuto fail to and get on base for Nick Castellanos and bohm to bring them in. The only major hole in that lineup is marsh 

the Phillies issue is really the Mets. They are actually decently good against the rest of the NL playoff teams. It’s a problem they don’t have harper and schwarber. It’s a problem that we tend to just not play well at citi field. We are 2-7 (2-4 at home; really we a 6 run lead in the 9th in one of them). I feel Like the 06 Phillies had this issue and they had to learn to beat the Mets and eventually broke through in 07 in doing so  

Mets 4-11

dodgers 4-3

braves 6-6

padres 4-3

cardinals 4-3

brewers 4-2 

I agree with this.  I just hope they don’t go into one of their prolonged offensive funks because they can’t afford to being only 1.5 games up in the wild card race.  Need to take care of the Reds and at least split with the Mets next weekend (although not looking too promising with Syndergaard/Falter in the doubleheader)

6 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

I agree with this.  I just hope they don’t go into one of their prolonged offensive funks because they can’t afford to being only 1.5 games up in the wild card race.  Need to take care of the Reds and at least split with the Mets next weekend (although not looking too promising with Syndergaard/Falter in the doubleheader)

Positive with the Mets series next weekend is scherzer and degrom aren’t going for them. It’s bassitt, Carrasco, walker and whomever they start for the double header. Imo if schwarber plays against bassitt i think you likely see a different offense. He’s owned bassitt. Nola is up against bassitt. Wheeler should be one of those games next weekend. We have an off day Thursday. I’d go syndergaard (Monday), gibson (Tuesday) and ranger (Wednesday) vs. the reds. Then go nola (Friday), wheeler (Saturday), falter (Saturday) and syndergaard/gibson (technically it’s gibson’s day to start cause if the off day could use syndergaard or gibson). 

First, love the name trash pandas 

second, why i didn’t want to trade him for marsh who still has the same issues he’s always had. I just don’t think marsh is ever going to be a good mlb hitter. He’s likely always a below average to average hitter. Rather kept O’hoppe 

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Another power outage from this offense.  Guys like Bohm, Hoskins and Castellanos are just not hard wired to take this team and put it on their back.  Especially Hoskins.  Way too inconsistent.  

This.  And it’ll last a good week or 2.  Just too inconsistent…and they’ll lose the wild card spot in the process

I was hoping for that dbacks series at the end of the month. Have a feeling they are shooting for the Miami series on sept 6

32 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Awesome to see Stott hitting really well as of late. 

They talked about it on the radio broadcast before the game and in the first inning. The Phillies didn’t spend any time thinking about moving stott to leadoff when schwarber got hurt. They asked the hitting coach/Thomson today about when schwarber is healthy is he getting his spot back and they had to think about it. There’s a chance he stays there and schwarber is moved down in the lineup. 

• Like 2

Until castellanos learns to not swing at those pitches consistently teams are going to repeatedly keep throwing it. 

AB7CEBBC-2214-405E-BE8F-85056BE95635.thumb.jpeg.a01079b139070f2d7df25c85a722cd8a.jpeg

11 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Until castellanos learns to not swing at those pitches consistently teams are going to repeatedly keep throwing it. 

AB7CEBBC-2214-405E-BE8F-85056BE95635.thumb.jpeg.a01079b139070f2d7df25c85a722cd8a.jpeg

I'm not a huge into baseball but, even that I was screaming at the TV... " What the F are you swinging at you effing moron!" Lol