Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

3 hours ago, Blazehound said:

An article from last year, but it really puts into perspective how bad their drafting and player development has been over the past 15 years. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.phillyvoice.com/phillies-draft-pick-history-front-office-gm-analysis-trades-free-agents-first-round-picks-playoff-draught/amp/

Brings to light what we’ve talked about before. They really wasted an entire decade from the end of the phillies playoff runs until now with poor drafts and development when they had been awful and high draft picks. Nola, hoskins, Herrera, neris and bohm are the only ones contributing every night. That’s an awful. Even the trades they’ve made besides realmuto have not been great or downright bad. The Hamels trade is a complete joke in how it turned out. 

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Brings to light what we’ve talked about before. They really wasted an entire decade from the end of the phillies playoff runs until now with poor drafts and development when they had been awful and high draft picks. Nola, hoskins, Herrera, neris and bohm are the only ones contributing every night. That’s an awful. Even the trades they’ve made besides realmuto have not been great or downright bad. The Hamels trade is a complete joke in how it turned out. 

I don't think Herrera came through the system. Wasn't he a Rule 5 guy from the Rangers? Or am I misremembering?

Your point is obviously correct, of course. Their waste of resources over the past decade has been brutal.

52 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I don't think Herrera came through the system. Wasn't he a Rule 5 guy from the Rangers? Or am I misremembering?

Your point is obviously correct, of course. Their waste of resources over the past decade has been brutal.

He might have been. But really they’ve pissed away good resources either way. What makes it so much worse is looking at the white Sox and Padres who were as bad as the Phillies through much of the last decade and the Phillies are painfully a mediocre team and those teams are young looking like they are going to be contenders for much of the next decade 

5 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yes

3 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Luke Williams ladies and gentlemen!!!!

spacer.png

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Luke Williams ladies and gentlemen!!!!

That kind of thing is absolutely incredible. The kid will never forget that moment. I hope he celebrates heavy tonight. That’s once in a lifetime achievement he deserves to celebrate 

In one storybook week, Luke Williams goes from Captain America to Phillies walk-off hero

1H ago / by Jim Salisbury
5-7 minutes

PHILS INSIDER

In one storybook week, Luke Williams goes from Captain America to Phillies walk-off hero

Philly_PhilliesBkg.jpg

hat’s next for Luke Williams?W

A walk on the moon?

Seriously. Have you seen what this kid has done the last few weeks?

First, he lights up the stat sheet for the Phillies’ Triple A Lehigh Valley team, then he joins Team USA and leads that club in hitting while helping it qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, then he gets the call every ballplayer dreams of, the one telling him he’s headed to the big leagues. 

And next thing you know, he’s standing on the field at Citizens Bank Park on a hot, muggy night, hugging his mom and dad and brother and sister.

"You can’t make this up,” said the 24-year-old Californian, his eyes misty from the moment. "It’s pretty incredible.”

TRENDING

Yes, it was. 

The Phillies were down to their last out Wednesday night when Williams, on his second day in the majors, stepped to the plate and belted a two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning to lift his team to a dramatic 2-1 win over the Atlanta Braves.

Williams’ first big-league homer came on the same night he hit his first big-league double and one night after he bunted for his first big-league hit.

Before the game-winning homer, which came on an 0-1 slider from lefty closer Will Smith, the Phillies had not had a hit since the fourth inning. That hit was a double by Williams.

Williams’ heartstopping, line-drive homer to left, came two batters after Andrew McCutchen worked an eight-pitch, full-count walk to give the Phillies a little hope. 

Williams turned the hope into a victory -- one that pitchers Zach Eflin (six innings, one run) and Ranger Suarez (three scoreless innings) richly deserved – and a personal dream come true.

What a way to cap your first big-league start – with a raucous celebration at home plate.

"I don’t know if I’ll ever have words to describe this moment,” said Williams, who was a third-round draft pick of the Phillies in 2015. "I’m still trying to figure it all out.”

With years of experience and perspective, manager Joe Girardi could figure it out.

"There’s tons of emotion there,” he said. "This game is so much fun and can be heartbreaking at the same time because of moments like that.” 

Williams hit .444 (8 for 18) with a double, a triple, a homer and six RBIs in four games to help Team USA qualify for the Olympics last week. He won’t be going to Tokyo because the Phillies needed him in the big leagues, but that’s OK.

"This has always been something I’ve dreamed of,” he said of making the majors.

Eflin was out of the game, watching the ninth inning in the trainer’s room with a couple of other pitchers, when Williams stepped to the plate. 

"It was electric, absolutely electric,” Eflin said. "We were in the trainer’s room. We spoke it into existence. We said, ‘Captain America is going to end it right here.’ We said it and he clubbed it. We were freaking out.

"I think the boys needed this, needed to see that passion and that fire. For it to come down to two outs in the ninth and for Luke to club a two-run homer. Absolutely, it can be a momentum shift heading into tomorrow. We’re fired up. It very easily could be one of those moments in a season.” 

The Phillies have had trouble getting anything going consistently this season. After 60 games, they are 29-31, four games behind the NL East-leading Mets and a half-game behind the second-place Braves.

Fans haven't gotten fully behind this team. Citizens Bank Park is open at full capacity, yet the crowd Wednesday night (13,552) was the third-smallest in the ballpark's history. Tuesday night's crowd (13,125) was the smallest.

Maybe Williams’ heroics will bring out a few more fans Thursday afternoon when the Phils will have a chance to win the series behind their best pitcher, Zack Wheeler.

During his postgame Zoom conference with reporters, Williams racked his brain trying to think of the last time he’d hit a walk-off homer. Finally, he recalled doing it as a teenager in a travel ball tournament.

"To do it in the big leagues is pretty indescribable,” he said. "I thought my phone blew up with texts the other day. I can’t imagine tonight.”

Moments after the home run sealed the victory, Williams was joined on the field in front of the dugout by his parents, Mark and Jeannine, brother Ike and sister Samantha. The scene was both tender and triumphant. Mom and dad had been in Florida for the Olympic qualifying tournament last weekend, flew home to southern California on Monday then back east to Philadelphia when their son was called up on Tuesday. Samantha came in from Iowa, where she plays softball and Iowa State, and Ike from Utah, where he’s a student at the University of Utah. Older brother Jake could not make it in because he'd been out of the country and had to go through COVID protocols.

"It’s pretty incredible to have them here to witness this in person,” Williams said. "It wasn’t just me that got here. I had a lot of people help me out, family, friends, coaches.

"It hasn’t been the easiest journey. This is pretty awesome.”

Yeah, it was.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/phillies-vs-braves-one-storybook-week-luke-williams-goes-captain-america

• Like 2

He will be hitting 200 in the minors next year this time

4 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

It’s the Phillies way

Ranger Suarez has been a bright spot in this crappy season. When I first saw him pitch a year or two ago, I wasn't impressed at all but I think he has like a 20 inning scoreless streak going. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'm sad to admit I've lost almost all interest in this team - between them sucking and the Sixers in the playoffs, I just don't care.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I'm sad to admit I've lost almost all interest in this team - between them sucking and the Sixers in the playoffs, I just don't care.

you aren’t alone. This team is legitimately an awful watch. They aren’t fun. And their young prospects that you thought were promising still look bleh 

Just saw something I have not seen in years after a pitch, anyone else notice? 

7 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Just saw something I have not seen in years after a pitch, anyone else notice? 

I’m not watching but I’d love to know the Phillies actually did something they haven’t done in years.... like make the playoffs 

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m not watching but I’d love to know the Phillies actually did something they haven’t done in years.... like make the playoffs 

You will have to wait a few more yea…..decades for that. A ball popped out of the catchers mitt then rolled away and was kept in play 

4 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

You will have to wait a few more yea…..decades for that. A ball popped out of the catchers mitt then rolled away and was kept in play 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that tbh. Or i don’t remember it at all 

• Like 1

I feel bad for Wheeler. Another great performance by him but their offense just ****s so bad it's pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, John Blutarski said:

I feel bad for Wheeler. Another great performance by him but their offense just ****s so bad it's pathetic.

It’s why 5 wins the rest of the month was high. Wheeler is throwing gems. And yet we do nothing. Only other starter that’s reliable right now is eflin. Nola has been up and down depending the start. Velasquez seems to have reverted. And Spence howard can’t run bases and pitch 

Thanks hector!!! Throw a meatball to Freeman of all people 

12 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

tenor.gif

Never mind :furious:

How did Herrera miss that catch???