Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Brilliant managing by Thomson. let’s bring in one of our worst arms for the last month a day after an off day  

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Remember when we all said, all the Phillies have to do is go 10-10 in their past 20 games and they’d make it. Well they’ve started off 3-8. 

how many Fing double plays can you Fing hit into.  

Forget that we said that - they just need to win more games than the Brewers and/or Padres

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Brilliant managing by Thomson. let’s bring in one of our worst arms for the last month a day after an off day  

Brogdon hasn’t been the same since his injury

1 minute ago, Dave Moss said:

Forget that we said that - they just need to win more games than the Brewers and/or Padres

The brewers likely beat the cards tomorrow as the cards will celebrate a division title tonight and then likely rest guys tomorrow as they are locked into the 3 seed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Brogdon hasn’t been the same since his injury

It’s a worse decision knowing those numbers. But it was also dumb coming off the off day with dominguez, Alvarado and Robertson were rested. Could’ve went Alvarado, dominguez and Robertson to go through the 7-9th once they pulled they pulled wheeler. You don’t know what type of game is gonna be tomorrow. The Cubs could blow the Phillies or the Phillies could blow the Cubs out and then you don’t use them for two days. You play to win the game that’s there right now when you’re in a playoff chase. Thomson seems to be oblivious to the fact they aren’t a lock to make the postseason.

also, I’m pretty sure they said wheeler was supposed to go 80 pitches tonight. With how he was pitching, he likely finishes the 7th. 

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s a worse decision knowing those numbers. But it was also dumb coming off the off day with dominguez, Alvarado and Robertson were rested. Could’ve went Alvarado, dominguez and Robertson to go through the 7-9th once they pulled they pulled wheeler. You don’t know what type of game is gonna be tomorrow. The Cubs could blow the Phillies or the Phillies could blow the Cubs out and then you don’t use them for two days. You play to win the game that’s there right now when you’re in a playoff chase. Thomson seems to be oblivious to the fact they aren’t a lock to make the postseason.

also, I’m pretty sure they said wheeler was supposed to go 80 pitches tonight. With how he was pitching, he likely finishes the 7th. 

Could have also went Eflin over Brogdon. I would have been fine with that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Could have also went Eflin over Brogdon. I would have been fine with that.

Yup. Everyone was rested. I said during the dbacks series he had some bad decisions. It’s really been building for the last month and he’s had some poor decisions since then that have hurt them. 

• Like 1

Bad news: The Cardinals clinched tonight based on tiebreaker so they have no reason to care tomorrow other than hating the Brewers.

They might even let the Brewers win so they have a better chance of destroying them in the 1st round.

The good news is they are still 3 up with 9 to play (2 games + tiebreaker)

If they mess around the next 2 games its going to get ugly fast.

Just now, SkippyX said:

Bad news: The Cardinals clinched tonight based on tiebreaker so they have no reason to care tomorrow other than hating the Brewers.

They might even let the Brewers win so they have a better chance of destroying them in the 1st round.

The good news is they are still 3 up with 9 to play (2 games + tiebreaker)

If they mess around the next 2 games its going to get ugly fast.

It’s 1.5 currently. we have a doubleheader Saturday with gibson and thor going. That could be ugly especially if we don’t figure out crap out at the plate. Brewers like you said likely get an easy victory tomorrow with cards resting their guys. They then have marlins and dbacks. Gotta hope alcantara and gallien win their starts. 

52 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Lol

There is no magic in that number

Games left and wins don't matter as much as losses and tiebreaker.

The Brewers have 2 more losses and lose the tiebreaker so its 3 games up.

They have to make up the 3 loss difference.

If the Phillies go 5-4 in the last 9 then the Brewers can go 6-2 and still miss the playoffs.

If they are 4-5 or 3-6 in their last 9 then they don't deserve the playoffs.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Games left and wins don't matter as much as losses and tiebreaker.

The Brewers have 2 more losses and lose the tiebreaker so its 3 games up.

They have to make up the 3 loss difference.

If the Phillies go 5-4 in the last 9 then the Brewers can go 6-2 and still miss the playoffs.

If they are 4-5 or 3-6 in their last 9 then they don't deserve the playoffs.

There’s a decent possibility they go 4-5 or 3-6. Cubs are 33-29 since the all star break. They aren’t playing horribly and we can’t hit. And we tend to not hit pitching we’ve not seen before. Phillies have two of those types coming up in this cubs series the next two games. 

The weird thing about Houston for the last 3 is that even if they are resting their top starters, their 5 and 6 guys can be very good.

They have 7 good major league starters right now. They had one of the top pitching staffs all year then they got McCullers back 4-1 2.38 and brought up Hunter Brown.

Brown is a recent call up depth guy and he's 2-0 with a 1.06 ERA. They might rest Altuve and Alvarez but their pitchers might still be able to shut down this lineup.

• Like 1

Hunter brown is really really good. There’s been some in the organization that have compared him to verlander in his throwing style and his ability. I was listening to fantasy on Sirius as they talked about him when he got called up. They had an Astros beat writer come on saying he’s been told about the comp to verlander numerous times by the organization. That kid is legit.

McCullers is also really good now that he’s healthy. I wonder if they cap his innings but still start him because they are gonna have a week off when the season ends as the no. 1 seed. 

imo houston is the best team in the league. People will say the dodgers who i think have a better 1-9 lineup but the Astros pitching imo is better than the dodgers particularly the bullpen. And i trust verlander, Valdez, McCullers and Javier more than i trust kershaw, urias, gonsolin (who’s missed a bunch of time) and Anderson. 

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Hunter brown is really really good. There’s been some in the organization that have compared him to verlander in his throwing style and his ability. I was listening to fantasy on Sirius as they talked about him when he got called up. They had an Astros beat writer come on saying he’s been told about the comp to verlander numerous times by the organization. That kid is legit.

McCullers is also really good now that he’s healthy. I wonder if they cap his innings but still start him because they are gonna have a week off when the season ends as the no. 1 seed. 

imo houston is the best team in the league. People will say the dodgers who i think have a better 1-9 lineup but the Astros pitching imo is better than the dodgers particularly the bullpen. And i trust verlander, Valdez, McCullers and Javier more than i trust kershaw, urias, gonsolin (who’s missed a bunch of time) and Anderson. 

The Dodgers are the best 162 game team.

I'd rather have the Mets or the Astros with their pitchers in a 3 starters dominate the playoffs scenario. The Astros can throw out a good 4 if needed.

The Phillies have a punchers chance if Wheeler gets back to 90+ pitches and Nola stays good Nola and Suarez has some nice starts.

That could all happen and they could still lose some crucial 3-2 games.

Sure top of the 4th no outs runners at 2nd and 1st and now you Fing bunt 

name a more depressing duo than the Phillies and bases loaded 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Apparently the Angels organization doesn’t teach bunting either

:P

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

name a more depressing duo than the Phillies and bases loaded 

Thomson is turning into a buffoon 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Phils down 4-1, Brewers up 1-0

Yeah they definitely aren’t making this. Brewers schedule is the marlins and dbacks. Even if the brewers lose to alcantara and gallien they’ll go 6-3. I don’t think the Phillies win all 4 against the nats nor beat the cubs tomorrow. Good chance we finish the season 3-6 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah they definitely aren’t making this. Brewers schedule is the marlins and dbacks. Even if the brewers lose to alcantara and gallien they’ll go 6-3. I don’t think the Phillies win all 4 against the nats nor beat the cubs tomorrow. Good chance we finish the season 3-6 

Phils have a losing record (27-28) in Wheeler/Nola starts this year, which is insane

• Like 2