Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Isn't it a bit weird seeing Amaro there on the postgame while they're talking about how horrible this team is when the guy has had a solid hand in why they're at where the are right now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

According to Todd zolecki the Phillies are exactly .500 when wheeler, eflin and nola pitch. 

Pretty good depiction of the Phillies right now 

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

And harper on IL 

But Quinn is back :groovy:

6 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

But Quinn is back :groovy:

Roman Quinn be like 

spacer.png

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I don't entirely agree with all the anger and disappointment over the Phillies.

Sure, be mad at the administration/leadership/drafting side of things.  But this is just an OK baseball team.  Never should have expected more.

Harper is a .264 hitter as a Phil.  That's who he is and will continue to be.  Not bad, not great for your franchise hitter and the guy carrying your lineup.  JT is a tick above his normal, but he's going to give you high 270's with just OK pop.  Segura is actually the best they have at just getting the bat on the ball, but he has 0 power.  For a team whose strength is actually supposed to be their lineup, that's really weak.  Maybe it's the league-wide emphasis on launch angle over contact, but this lineup has so many high strikeout low batting average hitters, it should not be some mystery why the lineup is always so hot and cold.  It's not flashes of brilliance as to what the lineup *could be*.  This is who they are.

And the rotation...Nola is a really nice starter, but he's no ace.  So we've got a rotation with no true ace and no back end depth.

Erratic lineup with occasional power surges (and outages) and a think, ace-less rotation.  Cherry on top is the abysmal fielding.  That kind of fielding can be tolerated when you are putting together a stacked lineup of big bats, but that's not the case here.

Put it all together...this is a .500 team that belongs just outside of the playoff bubble.  I'm not sure why anyone expected otherwise.

The really disappointing part is that there is no help on the horizon.  It's just so reliable for every Phillie prospect who generates hype to fall flat on their face.  We no longer know what we have in Bohm.  Spencer Howard is going backwards.  No exciting bats in the system.  

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I don't entirely agree with all the anger and disappointment over the Phillies.

Sure, be mad at the administration/leadership/drafting side of things.  But this is just an OK baseball team.  Never should have expected more.

Harper is a .264 hitter as a Phil.  That's who he is and will continue to be.  Not bad, not great for your franchise hitter and the guy carrying your lineup.  JT is a tick above his normal, but he's going to give you high 270's with just OK pop.  Segura is actually the best they have at just getting the bat on the ball, but he has 0 power.  For a team whose strength is actually supposed to be their lineup, that's really weak.  Maybe it's the league-wide emphasis on launch angle over contact, but this lineup has so many high strikeout low batting average hitters, it should not be some mystery why the lineup is always so hot and cold.  It's not flashes of brilliance as to what the lineup *could be*.  This is who they are.

And the rotation...Nola is a really nice starter, but he's no ace.  So we've got a rotation with no true ace and no back end depth.

Erratic lineup with occasional power surges (and outages) and a think, ace-less rotation.  Cherry on top is the abysmal fielding.  That kind of fielding can be tolerated when you are putting together a stacked lineup of big bats, but that's not the case here.

Put it all together...this is a .500 team that belongs just outside of the playoff bubble.  I'm not sure why anyone expected otherwise.

The really disappointing part is that there is no help on the horizon.  It's just so reliable for every Phillie prospect who generates hype to fall flat on their face.  We no longer know what we have in Bohm.  Spencer Howard is going backwards.  No exciting bats in the system.  

Wheeler is a true ace

• Like 2

Phillies attempting to become one of the no hit teams 

alright we are actually beating the marlins 

Wow velasquez finally learned how to pitch.... still confident this bullpen will blow it 

Double V, baby!  Is there still hope for him to be something at least decent/solid or is this a teaser and he'll revert to going through the order once and then he'll start getting hit?

We won this game with TWO friggin hits.  TWO.  Luckily one of them was HR with a man on base.  This team is still trash.

• Like 1

Only 5 thousand fans there tonight, they need to move to a baseball city, miami is terrible

VV with a 2.95 ERA now. 2nd best in the rotation. Hopefully he can keep it up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Double V, baby!  Is there still hope for him to be something at least decent/solid or is this a teaser and he'll revert to going through the order once and then he'll start getting hit?

We won this game with TWO friggin hits.  TWO.  Luckily one of them was HR with a man on base.  This team is still trash.

I'm afraid to put any hope in VV. I expect him to crash and burn eventually but for now I'm enjoying the ride, it would be awesome if he is finally able to put it all together consistently.

5 minutes ago, devpool said:

I'm afraid to put any hope in VV. I expect him to crash and burn eventually but for now I'm enjoying the ride, it would be awesome if he is finally able to put it all together consistently.

Watch him continue this through the end of the season then sign a mega deal with another team in the offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Blutarski said:

Watch him continue this through the end of the season then sign a mega deal with another team in the offseason.

Contract year and he starts pitching well is always a cause for concern. Feels like he’ll get the money then revert back 

Brad Miller has tied harper for RBI on the season 

Wow, that really was perfect by Herrera to save the HR. Respek.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Wow, that really was perfect by Herrera to save the HR. Respek.

Couldn’t save the Phillies from the bullpen and the rest of the defense

• Sad 2

Nola finally has a good start after what seems like 3 bad ones and it's ruined by another terrible offensive showing