Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

50 minutes ago, TV Guy said:

When Easy Schedules Attack!

Yeah I was thinking we take 3 out of 4 at home against a team like the Rockies.  I thought 2-2 as worse case scenario. 

5 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

They will blame this year on Hoskins injury

Eh they still likely collapse even with him. 

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

So the offense went off tonight - great.  All that means is for the next week they’ll score 0-3 runs every remaining game

Seems that way, doesn't it?  They're like a boa constrictor.  Eat a big fat meal then lay around for a while digesting before being able to feast again.

Harper got on base 5 out of 6 times with 8 total bases in 4 official ABs.  His OPS is now 1.055 which leads MLB (Guerrero Jr. is 2nd at 1.017).  He's 6th in BA, 5th in doubles, T14th in HRs, 4th in BBs, 2nd in both OBP and Slugging %, and T11th in runs scored.  And he's missed about 20 games.

They need to gut this team of the dead wood and build smart around him, but unfortunately that won't happen as this FO is totally incapable of being able to do that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Seems that way, doesn't it?  They're like a boa constrictor.  Eat a big fat meal then lay around for a while digesting before being able to feast again.

Harper got on base 5 out of 6 times with 8 total bases in 4 official ABs.  His OPS is now 1.055 which leads MLB (Guerrero Jr. is 2nd at 1.017).  He's 6th in BA, 5th in doubles, T14th in HRs, 4th in BBs, 2nd in both OBP and Slugging %, and T11th in runs scored.  And he's missed about 20 games.

They need to gut this team of the dead wood and build smart around him, but unfortunately that won't happen as this FO is totally incapable of being able to do that.

Yes - he is just now in his prime years- it would be shame to see them wasted.

• Like 1

Granted I haven't seen many Phillies games this year, but I think you guys have a decent shot at the playoffs with this remaining schedule:

3 @ NYM

3 vs. BAL

4 vs, PIT

3 @ ATL

3 @ MIA

The only decent team is Atlanta. The rest is bottom-feeding trash, save for the Mets who are middle-feeding trash.

Harper is 3 points behind in the Batting Title picture and leading the league in OPS.

Has any player ever won the Batting Title and lead the league in OPS and not won the MVP?

It speaks to his talent that with such a violent launch angle type swing that he can put up the HRs but not be hitting .230 like so many guys do these days. 

14 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Harper is 3 points behind in the Batting Title picture and leading the league in OPS.

Has any player ever won the Batting Title and lead the league in OPS and not won the MVP?

In 1947, Ted Williams led the American league in HR (32), Runs (125), RBI (114), BB (162), BA (.343), SLUG (.634) -- and obviously OPS too which wasn't a thing back then -- and finished behind Joe DiMaggio in the voting. DiMaggio hit .315 with 20 homers and 97 RBI. But he was a Yankee and they won the pennant. Williams lost by one point in the voting, apparently because some writers (maybe only one) who didn't like him kept him off the ballot entirely. It's a famous baseball travesty.

28 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Granted I haven't seen many Phillies games this year, but I think you guys have a decent shot at the playoffs with this remaining schedule:

3 @ NYM

3 vs. BAL

4 vs, PIT

3 @ ATL

3 @ MIA

The only decent team is Atlanta. The rest is bottom-feeding trash, save for the Mets who are middle-feeding trash.

It sounds good on paper but as we've seen all year they consistently lose to the worst, bottom feeding teams.

6 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

3 @ NYM

3 vs. BAL

4 vs, PIT

3 @ ATL

3 @ MIA

Which is what other teams call the Phillies

• Haha 1

Probably going to end like this when we are eliminated. Phillies have a shot in the Braves series to win the division. the BP blows 2 saves in a row to get the blown saves record. While the offense scores 2 and 3 runs  

• Like 1

SF down to their last out and trailing 5-4 after coughing up a 2-run lead in the 9th on a 3-run HR, have tied the game on a HR.  Going into extra innings.  If SF can win then we're only 2 GB of the Braves.  If over the 9 games vs NYM/BTL/PGH they can go 6-3 at least then ATL would at least have to go 5-4 (2 @ SF, 4 @ ARI, 3 @ SD) to stay 1 game ahead going into their showdown in ATL.  Then they host the NYM while we go to our nemesis the Fish to close the season.  Looks like a tall order for the Phillies.  They can't stumble and the way this team is that doesn't seem likely.

SF wins it in the 11th with a SP,  Gausman, PH'ing a sac fly with the bases loaded.  Phillies now 2 GB.