Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I'm sort of the opposite.

The bats will come around.  The problem remains that the Phils still have precious few .300 type hitters.  Launch angle power hitters?  Yes.  Moneyball OBP guys who get on base despite mediocre contact?  Yes.  Those both matter and we've got them.  But, IMO, and no one has yet mathematically proved it in the analytics era, but our lack of high batting average barrel to ball reliable contact hitters is the primary reason that the offense is just so wildly streaky year in, year out.  Too darn hot and cold.  They are cold right now.  And the hot phase, the runs, and the winning streak will come.  That's a major concern in a postseason run...a bit less of a concern for getting to the post-season.  Over the full course of a season, they'll get their runs.

I do worry about the pitching...not the bullpen.  That's icing on the cake that can be fixed at a deadline.  It's the starting pitching.  Ranger Suarez was always fool's gold.  A lefty long reliever/back of rotation starter with ordinary stuff puts up great numbers in his first pass through the majors.  That's not a building block...that's a filler.  I don't trust Nola to be a #2 in a competitive rotation, especially a rotation that is theoretically top heavy without great depth.  And Wheeler...he's the best thing we've got going and I still do trust him despite a rough start to the season.  Put it all together and the starting rotation is more hurt then help.

Wheeler looks washed.  Gibson is a solid 3-4.  Nola, Suarez and Eflin are back of rotation guys.  The rotation is abysmal.

• Haha 1

@eagle45

I pretty much agree...... ownership? Yeah ol John is feeling his age and wants to go out a winner..... problem right now is fixing the last decade of cruddy team management.

Scouting and minors development have been a joke. Gotta have a quality, stars in the making, core of at least 5 or 6 players on a roster that come through the system together. Then a few more that are solid but average every day players. 

They have to find the balance between analytics and the old eye test to be able to fill the minors with decent players to develop. 

Then they have to find a solid working principle for hitters and pitchers that stays consistent on all levels as the players move up.

Then you can fill in the majors with FA's around your core....... but even then ..... FA's are an issue since most of the time you are picking up a player that is nearly halfway through their career. 

I don't see the organization being in that place right now.

Bottom line is they aren't ready yet, but they could get hot and make it to the post season ..... and make some noise but not nearly enough. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This offense has been so fun this year.  

It’s ok.  It’s early!

Speaking of it being early, these mofus are lucky most fans in this city are being distracted by the Sixers and upcoming draft.  They need to get their ish together before the smokes clears. 

17 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I'm not freaking out. 

I’d be freaking out but this is par for the course for the past decade. so it’s more normalcy now. 

This platoon infield project should be enough to show Girardi the door. When is the last time a contender went with a platoon infield? 

• Like 2

6'7" Righty who throws 99.....   Hopefully he can stay healthy and move quickly through the system

Who can they sell at the deadline? Pretty much everyone should be on the block.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Who can they sell at the deadline? Pretty much everyone should be on the block.

Harper :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

/ban

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:03 AM, nipples said:

Look it hasn’t been a good start, but let’s maybe wait more than two weeks before we start freaking out. Unless I’m misremembering, even during their good run years from ‘08-‘11 they always started slow. Not saying this team is like those ones, but you can’t overreact in April. 

Freaking out is the first stage of grief. Get past that in April, we’ll be well into acceptance by the end of May, and can turn all of our focus toward looking forward to training camp by early June!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Wouldn’t be opposed for the right offer

• Haha 1

What’s more premature…freaking out about a tiny fraction of the season, or expecting this team to be a contender despite a decade of organizational failure just because of a couple FA signings in the offseason before the games were played?

Oh look they actually scored some runs but the bullpen blew it anyway.  This team is full of suck

9 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Oh look they actually scored some runs but the bullpen blew it anyway.  This team is full of suck

It's the same issues for the past 10 years - when the offense scores, the bullpen blows it.  When the starting pitching is good, the offense sucks.  And the defense is just bad 100% of the time.  

• Like 2

I know it's early, but...if this continues into May, Girardi will be on the hot seat. He's already a lame duck this year since the Phils didn't pick up his option.

• Like 3

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

When this team is in the playoffs, remember how we feel now.  

How am I going to remember how I feel today 10+ years from now?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

It's the same issues for the past 10 years - when the offense scores, the bullpen blows it.  When the starting pitching is good, the offense sucks.  And the defense is just bad 100% of the time.  

Yup.  

31 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

When this team is in the playoffs, remember how we feel now.  

This feels appropriate right about now 

• Haha 1