Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

10 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I was going to comment on this yesterday, but it's just like...that's baseball. It's such an incredibly streaky game, and it seems almost like the norm that guys get a big contract and then start playing like sh**, often because of the structure of baseball contracts. More than any other sport, you are usually paying for past performance. But guys are going to slump hard at certain points. You just gotta hope it evens out in the end. The real thing to me, though, is that these guys tend to get paid when they're past their athletic primes. But it's not their fault. It's how the league is designed.

Yup, I get it. I was really just venting my frustration about their play. Its true its not their fault whether they're overpaid relative to current performance or not.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

F this offense.   I’m out.  Goodnight.  

I feel bad for nola. It’s like every time he starts now they don’t hit. 

• Like 2

Castellanos hasn’t homered in June?  

:nonono:

16 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Castellanos hasn’t homered in June?  

:nonono:

Probably needs to move out of Ben Simmons house 

• Like 2

Another great effort by Nola. I feel bad for the dude. It's like the offense thinks they can take the night off when he's on the mound. Just a waste of another great pitching effort.

• Like 1

Mark Appel getting called up

Acquired in the Ken Giles trade in 2015

:lol: 

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

Mark Appel getting called up

Acquired in the Ken Giles trade in 2015

:lol: 

It's a great story

14 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

It's a great story

Yeah, I’m happy for him.  

(Until he gives up a home run)

34 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Snell doesn’t have to throw a first pitch strike.  They’ll swing at it anyway.  

the offense has been dog crap since last Saturday besides Thursday night’s game. They scored over the last 6 games 2,3,0, 2, 6 and 0 runs. That’s an average of 2.2 runs and 4 of 6 they haven’t scored over 2 runs. 

If Harper is out for an extended time, it's over.

Just now, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

If Harper is out for an extended time, it's over.

If he’s out for like 2 months with a broken hand or thumb then he also should just have the TJ surgery at the same time considering he’s eventually going to need it. 

Of course Alfaro comes back to haunt us 

And chance he comes back before the end of the season? 

1 minute ago, Dave Moss said:

And chance he comes back before the end of the season? 

Takes about 6-8 weeks to heal from that injury but even if he does that quickly he’s not going to have full strength with it again until around 12-16 weeks. So looking like return around mid to late august 

11 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I'd rather they shut him down and fix the elbow 

It also depends if the thumb needs surgery. If it does he could be out even longer. 

At least we solved the closer problem. Too bad it took until Bryce getting hurt to solve it. 

What is the expected recovery time for the elbow surgery he would need? If he has it in October, could he be a viable player next April or May? If so, you gotta hold off til then in the faint and probably unrealistic hope that they could make the postseason. If it’s a ten month time frame, well, yeah, maybe you’d be better off getting it done now.

This really does suck. He’s really the only player on the team that is actually fun to watch.

10 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

What is the expected recovery time for the elbow surgery he would need? If he has it in October, could he be a viable player next April or May? If so, you gotta hold off til then in the faint and probably unrealistic hope that they could make the postseason. If it’s a ten month time frame, well, yeah, maybe you’d be better off getting it done now.

This really does suck. He’s really the only player on the team that is actually fun to watch.

I’d say hoskins had it in October and was back for the start of the season. However hoskins’ was his non throwing elbow. I’m thinking if Harper had it in July that he’d be ready for the start of the season. Tbh I’d see where the Phillies are after the next 16 games. They have: at SD, 3 vs. atlanta, 3 vs. St. Louis, 3 at nats, 3 at St. Louis and 2 at Toronto. If they fall apart then it’s better to just have the TJ surgery and have him ready by the start of next year. If they manage to be close like within 3-4 games of the wildcard or even better than that then i think you expect him back as after those 16 games. After the next 16 games, they have 3 at marlins, 3 vs. cubs, 3 vs. braves, 4 at pirates, 2 at Braves, 4 vs. nats and 3 vs. marlins. You could get hot during this 22 game stretch. But if they fall apart over the next 16 i think you just get the surgery and look forward to next year.