Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

1 minute ago, Eaglesrule76 said:

Sorry for naive post but what is Suarez long term potential?

Some think he can be a no. 2. I think he’s likely a no. 3 in a rotation. I’d still love if the Phillies somehow got another front line starter. Would be a really devastating rotation with nola, wheeler and Suarez especially if painter and/or Abel pan out. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you bumgarner for getting the offense on track. Hopefully we can win tomorrow and win the series. It’s gonna be a pitching duel between nola and gallen. I’m gonna be there so excited to see two studs right now going at it. 

Feels like Suarez the last two starts has had the same control issue once he gets into the 4-6 innings. He just loses it. I’m wondering if the innings are accumulating. This is the most innings he’s pitched in his major league career. 

id actually pull Suarez right now. He is not attacking the zone and the dbacks can’t hit and yet he’s all over the place. 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Thank you bumgarner for getting the offense on track. Hopefully we can win tomorrow and win the series. It’s gonna be a pitching duel between nola and gallen. I’m gonna be there so excited to see two studs right now going at it. 

Spoke to soon. Phillies about to blow a 7 run lead once again. Should’ve pulled Suarez as soon as he walked Walker. It was obvious he didn’t have it. 

Yeah feels like they are gonna get rocked this series. This is flat out embarrassing to be up 7 and piss it away before even getting out of 5 innings. 

Might be thomson’s worst managed game from keeping Suarez in too long and keeping Sanchez in after loading the bases without recording an out. To the idiotic base running in the first inning. 

dbacks about to score 20 on the Phillies as apparently no one remembers how to pitch. JFC it’s one of the worst hitting teams in the damn league 

I’m pretty sure the Phillies offense won’t do crap the rest of the game too. Lol at vierling. Five pitches not one was in the zone and this schmuck is swinging at everything after he walked stott on 5 pitches prior. 

Wow, glad I went to sleep when they were up 4-0 and didn’t watch the rest.

1 hour ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Wow, glad I went to sleep when they were up 4-0 and didn’t watch the rest.

1 hour ago, TV Guy said:

What a joke.

Pretty sure they are gonna get swept in this series if they don’t figure out gallen tonight. Dbacks outside of bumgarner have been playing solid baseball and getting good starting pitching. They are 20-15 since the all star break. Not great but they are playing well considering they are a young team  

The Phillies bullpen since the knebel and Dominguez news has been shakey. Every game seems to be adventure. Frankly since the second Mets series it’s been hit or miss with the pen. The offense lately tends to score the first couple innings then disappears for much of the rest of the game which is a bad formula when your bullpen hasn’t been as good the second half of the month. Plus wheeler is on IL so you are having to rely on falter and Sanchez. Plus Suarez is over his career high in innings and we are not even in September. 

the road trip to Az and SF/Sd (depending on year it’s sometimes sf and sometimes SD) is always tough due to the travel. However at the end of august at the height of the grind at  the part of the season where some guys hit a wall is even tougher. It’s why i said if they went 3-3 I’d be happy. Frankly i think we lose tonight we are getting swept in this series. Might be lucky to go 2-4 if that happens. 

This is actually pretty funny. Rallying cry around friend zoned mark 

• Haha 1

Im out on this team.  99% sure they won’t make the playoffs.  September collapse is like clockwork with these losers.

22 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Im out on this team.  99% sure they won’t make the playoffs.  September collapse is like clockwork with these losers.

You've been out for months my man. It's ok.

10 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

You've been out for months my man. It's ok.

I’m not panicking yet. I thought this road trip was gonna be much harder than what it looked like on paper. The Diamondbacks outside of Madison Bumgarner have actually played pretty well since the All-Star break. They are 20-15 which for a team of pretty much young kids is pretty good.

Plus the Phillies every time they come out to Arizona since like 2017 have not played well here. They’ve lost 11 of their last 14 in Phoenix. They’ve lost the last six games they played in Phoenix. They haven’t won a game in Phoenix since August 5, 2019 (granted didn’t play here in 2020). like they have played well in LA, San Diego and even San Francisco at times over that same period of time. For whatever the reason, they come to Arizona they just play poorly. 

that said there are some legitimate concerns right now with this team. The bullpen since knebel and Dominguez went on the IL has been an adventure every game. They’ve been shaky even when they have succeeded since about the second Mets series this month. Doesn’t help that Wheeler is dealing with a forearm issue and is on the IL. So now you’re relying on falter and Sanchez who are both not very good. Suarez is at a career high in innings pitched and we haven’t gotten to September. I think some of his issues is he’s hitting a wall and it really shows when he gets to the middle innings with his control. now Castellanos is dealing with some sort of turf toe injury. It’s like every time this team gets one major player back they lose one or two major players.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m not panicking yet. I thought this road trip was gonna be much harder than what it looked like on paper. The Diamondbacks outside of Madison Bumgarner have actually played pretty well since the All-Star break. They are 20-15 which for a team of pretty much young kids is pretty good.

Plus the Phillies every time they come out to Arizona since like 2017 have not played well here. They’ve lost 11 of their last 14 in Phoenix. They’ve lost the last six games they played in Phoenix. They haven’t won a game in Phoenix since August 5, 2019 (granted didn’t play here in 2020). like they have played well in LA, San Diego and even San Francisco at times over that same period of time. For whatever the reason, they come to Arizona they just play poorly. 

that said there are some legitimate concerns right now with this team. The bullpen since knebel and Dominguez went on the IL has been an adventure every game. They’ve been shaky even when they have succeeded since about the second Mets series this month. Doesn’t help that Wheeler is dealing with a forearm issue and is on the IL. So now you’re relying on falter and Sanchez who are both not very good. Suarez is at a career high in innings pitched and we haven’t gotten to September. I think some of his issues is he’s hitting a wall and it really shows when he gets to the middle innings with his control. now Castellanos is dealing with some sort of turf toe injury. It’s like every time this team gets one major player back they lose one or two major players.

I'm certainly not panicking. We are still a 2nd or 3rd wildcard team. Nothing is really changing in my mind. All they have done all year is prove that they are team worthy of the playoffs but unlikely to do much damage. Which is fine. I will happily watch our first playoff baseball series in 10+ years. 

10 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I'm certainly not panicking. We are still a 2nd or 3rd wildcard team. Nothing is really changing in my mind. All they have done all year is prove that they are team worthy of the playoffs but unlikely to do much damage. Which is fine. I will happily watch our first playoff baseball series in 10+ years. 

I think the issue catching up to them right now is the war of attrition. Even when Bryce Harper was out they really didn’t have this many significant injuries other than harper and segura. Suarez and eflin were the biggest and Suarez only missed like a week and a half. Right now they’re missing their closer, they’re missing their best starter, they’re missing their 7/8th inning guy in knebel and they’re missing castellano‘s who’s dealing with a turf toe when he finally started hitting. The effect of not having Zach Wheeler really hurts the bullpen. Because if you get 7 innings out of  Wheeler now we don’t have to use the bullpen as much and they get needed rest. With falter, Suarez looking like he’s tiring out and Syndergaard in his last start the bullpen is beginning to be taxed.

even if the Phillies go 1-5 on this road trip, they have 9 games against the Nats and the Marlins coming up. If they dominate those 9 games they’re going to be fine. The issue becomes if they come back from this road trip and they stumble through those 9 games. Then i think they’re in trouble. Because their next 9 games after that are 3 at Braves, 2 vs  Toronto and 4 vs braves  

They will make the playoffs no doubt, thanks to Brewers not being very good and having a 3rd wildcard, otherwise it would be just like every other year, they will get wiped out in the first round though 

I don’t get the people that think they are a shoe in for the wild card.  They are only 3 games up, and the Brewers have a pretty easy schedule too and are currently playing the Pirates.  It’s very possible the Brewers jump them during this road trip.  I don’t see the Phillies winning more than 2 games on this trip.

Seems like they are worse with Harper back which is really something.

• Haha 1

Pretty sure the highlight of the night is me yelling at Vierling about coming 10 straight games in Az and the Phillies losing every single one, him shrugging his shoulders and saying sorry

CB4C690C-8657-46CD-ABB1-D785A4951901.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only way this team is going far in the playoffs is if they have to travel to San Diego

Right on time, the late summer collapse…

Need to salvage a win today or this could really start getting out of hand, panic setting in, etc.

Absolutely no way they win today.  Not with Falter pitching and the way the Dbacks are hitting.  This team is done