Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

3 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not Brandon Brooks' Achilles Tendon.

1 hour ago, Mlodj said:

Not Brandon Brooks' Achilles Tendon.

Too soon. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 9:43 PM, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Looks like MLB hasn't learned its lesson.  Last time they didn't have a WS because of a labor dispute it started a plummet from vying for the #1 sport in America all the way to 3rd.  If they do this again they will very much deserve falling to 4th or 5th and they absolutely will.  BTW, I am pro labor almost all the time with these things, but when it comes to MLB, the players are Fing nuts, no respect for the product or the fans.

• Like 1

So the players proposed 72 games, the owners proposed 60, and the players wont agree because its not enough games? If thats true then it would seem inevitable something will be agreed upon.

Players are countering with 70. There was some chatter yesterday about landing on 66 games for scheduling purposes.

FFS, just get it done already.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Annnnnnd Manfred sharply rejected it.  This is getting is beyond ridiculous.   

I don't understand how Manfred and Clark can get together in person and hammer out the framework of a deal, and yet here we are four days later with both sides still arguing over 10 measly games. It's beyond pathetic at this point. Seems like the only thing they're concerned about is their image heading into CBA negotiations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

I don't understand how Manfred and Clark can get together in person and hammer out the framework of a deal, and yet here we are four days later with both sides still arguing over 10 measly games. It's beyond pathetic at this point. Seems like the only thing they're concerned about is their image heading into CBA negotiations.

It’s cause they’re 8 owners who really don’t want to play the season. It’s been reported multiple times. It only takes that many for a season to not happen. I think manfred knows this so he wanted to make the owners Look better by making it seem like they were close and giving a little. And when it collapses now more people Then prior to that heyman will look at the players like you couldn’t concede the amount of games. Still a lot will look at owners but i feel like there’s a lot more today that are going after mlbpa then they were prior to that heyman tweet 

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s cause they’re 8 owners who really don’t want to play the season. It’s been reported multiple times. It only takes that many for a season to not happen. I think manfred knows this so he wanted to make the owners Look better by making it seem like they were close and giving a little. And when it collapses now more people Then prior to that heyman will look at the players like you couldn’t concede the amount of games. Still a lot will look at owners but i feel like there’s a lot more today that are going after mlbpa then they were prior to that heyman tweet 

Just a total sheet show all around. Baseball could've been the first sport to return and have the spotlight all to themselves. Instead, we get this petty bickering and negotiating through the media. I know different people want to blame certain sides individually, but IMO... they're all idiots. 

Just now, Dawkins 20 said:

Just a total sheet show all around. Baseball could've been the first sport to return and have the spotlight all to themselves. Instead, we get this petty bickering and negotiating through the media. I know different people want to blame a certain side, but IMO... they're all idiots. 

Oh for sure both sides are idiots. I think the owners realize public perception right now looks even worse for them then the players. I think they made a last ditch effort to make it look a little better for them before this collapses. If there’s no agreement by the end of the month i don’t see them returning which i don’t see. I hope to be proven wrong 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Oh for sure both sides are idiots. I think the owners realize public perception right now looks even worse for them then the players. I think they made a last ditch effort to make it look a little better for them before this collapses. If there’s no agreement by the end of the month i don’t see them returning which i don’t see. I hope to be proven wrong 

I know the league has the ability to set a season for as many games as they wish, but apparently a union grievance will follow from the players which opens up a whole other can of worms.

I agree that if we don't see some sort of agreement made soon that we can pretty much forget about a season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

I know the league has the ability to set a season for as many games as they wish, but apparently a union grievance will follow from the players which opens up a whole other can of worms.

I agree that if we don't see some sort of agreement made soon that we can pretty much forget about a season.

I’ve always thought the threat of manfred just making a 48 game season and forcing players to play was never going to work. I think some players would just give the owners and manfred the finger. Then you have a grievance. I think the media made that a bigger threat to go down then realistically it actually working. 

to me i think the deadline is likely July 6th. You need ST for at least 3 weeks to get guys back into form. And if you need 48-60 games you have to start end of July. If you get to july 15 you are gonna run out of time if you want the season to end before October and playoffs in October 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’ve always thought the threat of manfred just making a 48 game season and forcing players to play was never going to work. I think some players would just give the owners and manfred the finger. Then you have a grievance. I think the media made that a bigger threat to go down then realistically it actually working. 

to me i think the deadline is likely July 6th. You need ST for at least 3 weeks to get guys back into form. And if you need 48-60 games you have to start end of July. If you get to july 15 you are gonna run out of time if you want the season to end before October and playoffs in October 

Yep, they've been very vocal about having everything wrapped up by the end of October. The clock is ticking.

This Phillies camp COVID outbreak could throw a wrench into not only baseball's chances of returning, but the NFL/NBA/NHL's chances as well. Let's hope it's contained and doesn't end up being too serious.

30 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Yep, they've been very vocal about having everything wrapped up by the end of October. The clock is ticking.

This Phillies camp COVID outbreak could throw a wrench into not only baseball's chances of returning, but the NFL/NBA/NHL's chances as well. Let's hope it's contained and doesn't end up being too serious.

Well if Fauci is correct the second wave is expected then so it would be more Imperative to get it done soon. I just don’t see it. Frankly it’s also going to screw with FA. Do players who were entering the last year of their deals become FA? Also guys like kris Bryant become one year closer to free agency or does this year just not count in baseball’s ability to hold onto players control for that year. There’s a lot of ramifications of a season doesn’t happen. I think even if it does do you bring up bohm and Howard and use a year of their control on a 48 game season? 

id love to know if the players were asymptomatic or mild symptoms. My dad and his brother who are doctors have a potential theory (could be completely wrong but they’d love to have access to testing coronavirus) about asymptomatic and mild symptoms People testing positive for coronavirus have a coronavirus but it might be the viruses related to the common cold (Like 229E). that’s why they haven’t gotten it as bad as others. As everyone has had common cold in their life they have more antibodies built up to protect against it getting bad or showing symptoms. They know the testing has had issues Like false positives amongst many other things so they wouldn’t really be surprised if that is an issue thats being nondisclosed. They’d just like to see multiple tests for coronaviruses not just ones for Covid 19. 

42 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

It doesn’t throw a wrench into anything. It is better they get it now then when the leagues start. I hope Harper and realmuto are two of the players so they don’t have to worry about it later. But it is probably friggin Knapp and Pivetta 

5 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

It doesn’t throw a wrench into anything. It is better they get it now then when the leagues start. I hope Harper and realmuto are two of the players so they don’t have to worry about it later. But it is probably friggin Knapp and Pivetta 

I think harper was out in Vegas if i remember correctly. So it’s likely not him as i think they reports were player who stayed in Florida. 

49 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

This x1000. I think that might be the knock out punch for baseball this year.  

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think harper was out in Vegas if i remember correctly. So it’s likely not him as i think they reports were player who stayed in Florida. 

Ok, well Florida is now a hot spot I guess, it will pass soon, just like Jersey is way down now because I would bet most have had it, over half never know and most others have mild symptoms and don't get tested. Florida is gonig to have issues for a bit but hopefully won't last too long

4 minutes ago, What The F said:

This x1000. I think that might be the knock out punch for baseball this year.  

How can it be a knockout punch if the next spring training didn't even start yet and it is common sense that some will get while playing? Getting it now is better than during the season! A knockout punch is half the team getting it first week of season

15 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Ok, well Florida is now a hot spot I guess, it will pass soon, just like Jersey is way down now because I would bet most have had it, over half never know and most others have mild symptoms and don't get tested. Florida is gonig to have issues for a bit but hopefully won't last too long

Ditto with AZ. 

43 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Welp.  It was fun while it didn’t last.  No sports this year.  Convince me otherwise.   

Joe hunter will soon be here to downplay the entire thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Your thoughts here couldn't be further from the truth.  FL and AZ and TX are seeing massive jumps because the lockdowns were lifted in early May when they shouldn't have been and people are morons when it comes to protecting themselves  The only reason NJ, NY and PA are down is because we've been on lockdown for 3 months.  Give me a break, man.

No baseball this year, and I'd expect the same for football.

2 hours ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

How can it be a knockout punch if the next spring training didn't even start yet and it is common sense that some will get while playing? Getting it now is better than during the season! A knockout punch is half the team getting it first week of season

It absolutely is a knock out.

• Like 1