Eagles 2023 Schedule Prediction Thread (REVISED 3/15/'23)

Wallyhorse

Here's what I think will be the 2023 Schedule:

(NOTE: This schedule is revised to reflect Aaron Rodgers intending to play for the Jets as he announced Wednesday 3/15 on The Pat McAfee Show).

Do note the Phillies are at home on Sunday 9/10, however, if the Eagles opened at home that day it would almost certainly be the Sunday Night game and it could be agreed to have the Phillies move up that game with the Marlins to a 12:05 PM start (or earlier if the MLBPA allowed or play a day-night doubleheader on Saturday 9/9) if that were the case.  Phils are also home Sunday 9/24 against the Mets.  This also allows for the possibility the Phillies could be hosting playoff games. 

Week 1: at Jets, Sun 9/10 at 8:20 PM on NBC (Aaron Rodgers's Jets debut).

Week 2: vs. Vikings, Monday 9/18 at 8:30 PM ET on ABC (Week 2 has MNF games on both ESPN at 7:15 and ABC at 8:30).

Week 3: at Giants, Sun 9/24 at 4:25 PM ET on FOX

Week 4: vs, 49ers, Sun 10/1 at 8:20 PM ET on NBC 

Week 5: at Commanders, Sun 10/8 at 1:00 PM ET on FOX

Week 6: at Bucs, Sun 10/15 at 1:00 PM ET on FOX

Week 7: Bye

Week 8: at Chiefs, Sun. 10/29 at 4:25 PM ET on FOX (full national game on FOX)

Week 9: vs. Cardinals, Sun 11/5 at 1:00 PM ET on FOX

Week 10: vs. Bills, Sun 11/12 at 4:25 PM ET on CBS

Week 11: vs. Dolphins, Sun 11/19 at 1:00 PM ET on CBS

Week 12: at Patriots, Thurs. 11/23 at 8:20 PM ET on NBC (Thanksgiving Night) OR Friday 11/24 at 3:00 PM ET on Amazon Prime (first "Black Friday" game)
(Note: When this was originally done, they did not yet have the rule a team could be on Amazon Prime twice)

Week 13: vs. Cowboys, Thurs. 11/30 at 8:15 PM ET on Amazon Prime

Week 14: at Seahawks, Mon. 12/11 at 8:15 PM ET on ESPN/ABC

Week 15: at Rams, Sun 12/10 at 4:05 PM ET on FOX (Eagles fly to LA immediately after the Seahawks game and practice in LA between the Seahawks and Rams and then the Rams and Cowboys games)

Week 16: at Cowboys, Mon. 12/25 at 4:30 PM ET on FOX (NFL will have Christmas Day games again in 2023)

Week 17: vs. Giants, Sun. 12/31 at 4:25 PM ET on FOX (cross-flexed to CBS if they have the doubleheader that week).  Game could be played at 3:25 IF the NFL has to move up the start times an hour on New Year's Eve (with SNF at 7:20 instead of 8:20) to accommodate NBC having Miley Cyrus's New Years Eve special that has aired on NBC the past two years and started at 10:30 PM ET). 

Week 18: vs. Commanders, Sat.-Sun 1/6-7, Time and Network TBD

This is how I think it goes.  I suspect Amazon Prime will be asking the NFL for one of the two Eagles-Cowboys games especially given the relatively lame slate they got this year.  It makes sense for Amazon Prime because NBC can advertise Eagles-Patriots on Thanksgiving (or Amazon Prime on "Black Friday") as a "Super Bowl LII rematch" (even if we know it isn't) to casual fans who watch that game, which is why I suspect that game will be Thanksgiving night (or "Black Friday" as when this was originally written the rule allowing two Amazon Prime games was not yet in place).  I also suspect FOX will get the other Cowboys-Eagles game on Christmas Day as a full national telecast (and since CBS had the "late" game on Christmas Day this season, FOX should get it this time) and it would be the second time they played Christmas Day (2006 was the one time that happened).  I can also see them do a SEA-LA-DAL road trip where they are based out of LA for two weeks where they practice before and after the Rams game before they go to Dallas. 

And yes, I think FOX will keep Eagles-Chiefs with that game a full national telecast on FOX while NBC gets the NFC Championship rematch with the 49ers in Week 4. With Rodgers now intending to play for the Jets, I do think the Eagles open in The Meadowlands against the Jets (also solves a problem the NFL would have with the Eagles opening at home due to the Phillies being at home Sunday 9/10 and MLB likely wanting Monday 9/11 being kept "open" in case the Phillies have to make up a game previously rained out at home that day).  If so, the Eagles for the second straight year open at home in an ABC-only Monday night game against the Vikings. 

Also, as Disney is getting additional NFL games this season between ESPN and ABC and again there will be games on Christmas Day, I believe the limit on prime time appearances will be increased to 7 (not including Week 18). 

Edited to reflect Aaron Rodgers saying he intends to play for the Jets.

• Like 1

Come on Wally.

The Eagles are going to the Super bowl. 

Next year will take care of itself.

And the Eagles will be opening the new season at the Linc 😃

On 1/30/2023 at 3:19 PM, nipples said:

Who the F cares about the 2023 schedule right now?

I was actually asked about it.  This looks to be the most likely schedule, however, it is a total guess.  Eagles have a loaded schedule in 2023 and I suspect they will be maxed out on national TV games (not including Eagles-Chiefs that I suspect FOX keeps with that going out to the entire country as the sole 4:25 PM ET game that week).  

I look forward to this post every year.  I can start making my travel arrangements early for games I want to attend. 

7 minutes ago, Captain F said:

I look forward to this post every year.  I can start making my travel arrangements early for games I want to attend. 

You must have cancelled a lot of flights and hotels last year 

On 1/30/2023 at 3:11 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Now that we know the Eagles are in the Super Bowl, here's what I think will be the 2023 Schedule:

Do note the Phillies are at home on Sunday 9/10, however, if the Eagles opened at home that day it would almost certainly be the Sunday Night game and it could be agreed to have the Phillies move up that game with the Marlins to a 12:05 PM start (or earlier if the MLBPA allowed or play a day-night doubleheader on Saturday 9/9) if that were the case.  Phils are also home Sunday 9/24 against the Mets.  This also allows for the possibility the Phillies could be hosting playoff games. 

Week 1: vs. Vikings, (If the Eagles win the Super Bowl) Thurs. 9/7 at 8:20 PM ET on NBC OR (If the Eagles do not win the Super Bowl) Sun 9/10 at 8:20 PM on NBC or Mon 9/11 at 8:15 PM ET on ESPN/ABC   W   

Week 2: at Jets, Sun 9/17 at 1:00 PM ET on FOX  W

Week 3: at Giants, Sun 9/24 at 4:25 PM ET on FOX  W

Week 4: vs, 49ers, Sun 10/1 at 8:20 PM ET on NBC  W

Week 5: at Commanders, Sun 10/8 at 1:00 PM ET on FOX  W

Week 6: at Bucs, Sun 10/15 at 1:00 PM ET on FOX  W

Week 7: Bye

Week 8: at Chiefs, Sun. 10/29 at 4:25 PM ET on FOX  W

Week 9: vs. Cardinals, Sun 11/5 at 1:00 PM ET on FOX  W

Week 10: vs. Bills, Sun 11/12 at 4:25 PM ET on CBS  L

Week 11: vs. Dolphins, Sun 11/19 at 1:00 PM ET on CBS  W

Week 12: at Patriots, Thurs. 11/23 at 8:20 PM ET on NBC (Thanksgiving Night)  W

Week 13: vs. Cowboys, Thurs. 11/30 at 8:15 PM ET on Amazon Prime  W

Week 14: at Seahawks, Mon. 12/11 at 8:15 PM ET on ESPN/ABC  W

Week 15: at Rams, Sun 12/10 at 4:05 PM ET on FOX   W

Week 16: at Cowboys, Mon. 12/25 at 4:30 PM ET on FOX (NFL will have Christmas Day games again in 2023)  L

Week 17: vs. Giants, Sun. 12/31 at 4:25 PM ET on FOX  L

Week 18: vs. Commanders, Sat.-Sun 1/6-7, Time and Network TBD  W

😎

On 2/2/2023 at 4:22 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

SF

I suspect NBC gets the NFC Title rematch for Week 4 SNF.  Vikings would be two playoff teams and a rematch from early this past season.  Also, the Vikings can be Thursday, Sunday or Monday night in Week 1 (depending on whether or not the Eagles win it all). 

Much tougher schedule next season.

As far as a "Super Bowl hangover” - less likely to occur - especially the way the season played out and the gut wrenching loss in the Super Bowl.  (Vs an easy win in the Super Bowl) 

There are at least a half dozen plays this team would like back and that typically is a motivating/driving force for the next season.  Hopefully the team responds accordingly. 

• Like 1

One caveat concerning the schedule I did not think of when I posted that:

If the NFL knows for sure by the time the schedule comes out Aaron Rodgers will be traded to the Jets as soon as the Packers are about to do so without the cap hit on June 2, then flip the Jets and Vikings games the first two weeks with the Jets game in The Meadowlands being the Sunday Night opener (as that would be Aaron Rodgers's regular season debut with the Jets) with the Vikings game becoming most likely for the second year in a row a Week 2 Monday night game on ABC (only as Week 2 has MNF games on both ESPN and ABC). 

On 2/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Super Bowl hangover here we come.

Nah. They’ll be good. It’s not a given that the Super Bowl loser has a down year. Bengals were 3 points away from getting back this year. 

• Like 1

Since Thursday openers started, Has there ever been a SB rematch where the winning team was at home and it wasn’t scheduled for game 1?

9 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Since Thursday openers started, Has there ever been a SB rematch where the winning team was at home and it wasn’t scheduled for game 1?

Looks like only Seattle/Denver. After beating them, Seattle was home to Denver but it was played in week 3.

Seattle opened against GB for some reason 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 10:04 AM, TorontoEagle said:

If we win the SB, I’d have to think the NFL would love a Bills/Eagles season opener?

That will be a game CBS wants to keep.  NFL has enough bones they can throw NBC and ESPN/ABC they can let CBS keep Bills-Eagles.

8 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

That will be a game CBS wants to keep.  NFL has enough bones they can throw NBC and ESPN/ABC they can let CBS keep Bills-Eagles.

Well we didn’t win the SB.

Opener seems likely to be KC/PHI

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Well we didn’t win the SB.

Opener seems likely to be KC/PHI

I doubt it.  I do think NBC gets the NFC Championship rematch vs. the 49ers on SNF in Week 4 (Phillies finish the regular season on the road).

I think FOX will keep Eagles-Chiefs and that will be a full national telecast on FOX in Week 8 as a 4:25 PM ET game directly leading into Game 5 of the World Series, also on FOX.

Bengals-Chiefs, a rematch of the AFC Championship Game is the likely opener.  Super Bowl loser usually plays the Sunday Night opener, which I have the Eagles doing against the Jets in The Meadowlands IF Aaron Rodgers is traded to the Jets, otherwise, they open Sunday or Monday night at home against the Vikings (depending on deals made where the Phillies move up their scheduled home game 9/10 against the Marlins up to 12:05 PM or earlier or agree to play that as part of a day-night doubleheader on Saturday 9/9).  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 3:19 PM, nipples said:

Who the F cares about the 2023 schedule right now?

Walleyhorse does so stop chaffing and let him be 

• 3 weeks later...

With Rodgers announcing Wednesday 3/15 he intends to play for the Jets, I have adjusted my original predictions to account for that as noted in the original post at the top. 

• 3 weeks later...

My prediction:

Mon. Sep. 11 830pm NY GIANTS

Sun. Sep. 17 1pm ARIZONA

Sun. Sep. 24 4pm at LA Rams

Sun. Oct. 1 820pm at Kansas City (SNF)

BYE WEEK

Thu. Oct. 12 8pm MIAMI (TNF)

Sun. Oct. 22 1pm at NY Jets

Sun. Oct. 29 820pm SAN FRANCISCO (SNF)

Sun. Nov. 5 1pm at Tampa Bay

Sun. Nov. 12 1pm WASHINGTON

Sun. Nov. 19 820pm at Dallas (SNF)

Sun. Nov. 26 425pm BUFFALO

Mon. Dec. 4 830pm at New England (MNF)

Sun. Dec. 10 1pm at NY Giants

Sun. Dec. 17 4pm at Seattle

Sun. Dec. 24 1pm MINNESOTA

Sun. Dec. 31 425pm DALLAS

Sun. Jan. 7 1pm at Washington

Other Notes:

Opening Night Game: LA Chargers at Kansas City

Opening Sunday Night Game: Cincinnati at San Francisco

Thanksgiving Games: Chicago at Detroit, NY Jets at Dallas, Green Bay at Pittsburgh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was back on forth on if the Eagles would start the year against Dallas SNF because Dallas is definitely starting the year on SNF.  NFL loves Dallas in prime time too much to start the season.  But I think ultimately the NFL goes with Giants @ Dallas SNF and then saves the Dallas games for later in the year.

W1 Dolphins 4 PM
W2 Commanders 1 PM
W3 @ Jets 4 PM
W4 @ Chiefs SNF
W5 Giants 4 MNF
W6 @ Buccaneers 1 PM
W7 @ Seahawks 4 PM
W8 BYE
W9 49ers SNF
W10 @ Rams 4 PM
W11 Cardinals 1 PM
W12 @ Cowboys Thanksgiving 4 PM
W13 Vikings 4 PM
W14 @ Patriots 1 PM
W15 Bills SNF
W16 @ Giants 4 PM
W17 @ Commanders 1 PM
W18 Cowboys 4 PM/FLEX to SNF

On 4/14/2023 at 8:04 PM, RememberTheKoy said:

I was back on forth on if the Eagles would start the year against Dallas SNF because Dallas is definitely starting the year on SNF.  NFL loves Dallas in prime time too much to start the season.  But I think ultimately the NFL goes with Giants @ Dallas SNF and then saves the Dallas games for later in the year.

W1 Dolphins 4 PM
W2 Commanders 1 PM
W3 @ Jets 4 PM
W4 @ Chiefs SNF
W5 Giants 4 MNF
W6 @ Buccaneers 1 PM
W7 @ Seahawks 4 PM
W8 BYE
W9 49ers SNF
W10 @ Rams 4 PM
W11 Cardinals 1 PM
W12 @ Cowboys Thanksgiving 4 PM
W13 Vikings 4 PM
W14 @ Patriots 1 PM
W15 Bills SNF
W16 @ Giants 4 PM
W17 @ Commanders 1 PM
W18 Cowboys 4 PM/FLEX to SNF

Usually, the Super Bowl loser opens on Sunday night.  That would be the Eagles.  Since barring a total collapse at this point Aaron Rodgers is going to sign with the Jets, I think THAT will be the Sunday night opener as I think NBC will want Aaron Rodgers's debut for the Jets to be SNF which fits that and the Super Bowl loser opening Sunday night (also the Eagles can't really open at home anyway because the Marlins game Sunday 9/10 is their last meeting of the season AND I also suspect MLB will insist on the Eagles not opening at home Monday 9/11 in case the Phils have to make up a rainout that Monday).  They will save games in Dallas for October when the MLB playoffs are  taking place and there could be potential issues in some locations (why I have the Eagles not playing any home games in October as I think the NFL will assume the Phillies make another long playoff run).  While technically the Cowboys and Texas Rangers share parking facilities for their stadiums, that complex is far bigger than the sports complex in Philly so even if the Cowboys and Rangers were playing at the same time parking would not be an issue.  Also, I have Eagles at Cowboys being Christmas Day and I'm sure FOX has their sights set for that (as they have the 4:30 slot Christmas Day this time) especially given to me it's a lock Amazon Prime will want the other Cowboys-Eagles game here (why I have the Eagles playing in New England on Thanksgiving Night as Eagles-Patriots is very sellable for NBC as a "Super Bowl LII rematch" to casual fans). 

One wild card is we could have the Eagles play a 3:00 PM ET game on Black Friday with the Eagles then playing the Cowboys the following Thursday with both on Amazon Prime (there will be a Black Friday game this year for the first time, though that could also be one of the international games).