LB Nakobe Dean Foot Injury (UPDATE: Placed Back on IR on 11/16/23

time2rock

Dean is trash

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Why even bother at this point? 

Because hes at least a better tackler than Morrow.

Howie’s philosophy will never change on LB’s. I can’t see him spending anything higher than a 3rd on a LB and he will never allocate serious money in free agency.  I can already see the excuses in the offseason, too many injuries, blah, blah, blah. The D was much better when Dean played. We added ______ (cheap vet) in free agency a drafted ________ (mid-round guy) and expect better production. 

I would love to see us draft some inside backers like the 49ers have. Guys that will take your head off but don’t kill you in coverage either. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Howie’s philosophy will never change on LB’s. I can’t see him spending anything higher than a 3rd on a LB and he will never allocate serious money in free agency.  I can already see the excuses in the offseason, too many injuries, blah, blah, blah. The D was much better when Dean played. We added ______ (cheap vet) in free agency a drafted ________ (mid-round guy) and expect better production. 

I would love to see us draft some inside backers like the 49ers have. Guys that will take your head off but don’t kill you in coverage either. 

Greenlaw was a 5th round pick and Warner a 3rd round pick. They have really great coaching at the position, along with a fantastic system and eye for talent. Other than Foster they've hit on all their starters and a lot of that has to do with developing the talent and putting them in the right situation.

Other top LB'ers in the league

Smith - 1st round pick

Milano - 5th round pick

Davis - 3rd round pick

David - 2nd round pick

Wagner - 2nd round pick

Mosely - 1st round pick

Quincy Williams - 3rd round pick

Zaire Franklin - 7th round pick 

Nick Bolton - 2nd round pick 

Edmunds - 1st round pick

I'll add a couple of other guys in as well

Leonard was a second round pick and is now looking like a shell of his former self in just his 6th season 

TJ Edwards was undrafted

The key with a lot of these guys is giving them time to develop. 3 were first round picks, 4 were 2nd rounders and 5 were 3rd round or later

Fun fact, Smith was the first Georgia Bulldog to win the Butkus award, the next Bulldog to win it was Dean (who is a two time winner). It would have been nice to get more from Dean in year 2, the expectation were higher, but there is still every chance he develops into a top 10 LB'er in the league

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mat said:

Greenlaw was a 5th round pick and Warner a 3rd round pick. They have really great coaching at the position, along with a fantastic system and eye for talent. Other than Foster they've hit on all their starters and a lot of that has to do with developing the talent and putting them in the right situation.

Other top LB'ers in the league

Smith - 1st round pick

Milano - 5th round pick

Davis - 3rd round pick

David - 2nd round pick

Wagner - 2nd round pick

Mosely - 1st round pick

Quincy Williams - 3rd round pick

Zaire Franklin - 7th round pick 

Nick Bolton - 2nd round pick 

Edmunds - 1st round pick

I'll add a couple of other guys in as well

Leonard was a second round pick and is now looking like a shell of his former self in just his 6th season 

TJ Edwards was undrafted

The key with a lot of these guys is giving them time to develop. 3 were first round picks, 4 were 2nd rounders and 5 were 3rd round or later

Fun fact, Smith was the first Georgia Bulldog to win the Butkus award, the next Bulldog to win it was Dean (who is a two time winner). It would have been nice to get more from Dean in year 2, the expectation were higher, but there is still every chance he develops into a top 10 LB'er in the league

Some people just haven't paid attention to the NFL trending away from investing in off-ball LBs. Even a large percentage of the EMB's prized draft experts balked at the idea of drafting Parsons when we were still holding the #6 pick. At the time of the draft he was expected to be full time off-ball LB in the NFL. With his combine numbers and college production does anybody think he falls to #12 if scouts had projected him as an edge rusher? Even if he could play equally as dominant as an off ball LB (which he probably would if that was where he played full time) would anybody still use him there instead of as an edge rusher the way dallas uses him?

The truth is one position is more valuable and more sought after than the other and you can see that on draft boards and in salary allocations. It's not just the Eagles. There will always be about 3 or 4 really special off-ball LBs in the NFL each season and the rest are just ... the rest. Shaq Leonard was one for 4 years and got paid at exactly the time the NFL began devaluing the position. The injury set him back for sure and clouded his future with uncertainty. The colts had no choice but to get out of that deal and take the big dead cap hit --- even if he returned to his all-pro form, nobody was trading for that contract for an off-ball LB. 

As for Dean, I still love the pick. The injury was unfortunate, but the people labeling him injury-prone are ignorantly basing it on 1 injury that was reaggravated after trying to let it heal without surgery. He never missed a game in college or his rookie NFL season. There's no reason to equate him to Maddox at this time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Some people just haven't paid attention to the NFL trending away from investing in off-ball LBs. Even a large percentage of the EMB's prized draft experts balked at the idea of drafting Parsons when we were still holding the #6 pick. At the time of the draft he was expected to be full time off-ball LB in the NFL. With his combine numbers and college production does anybody think he falls to #12 if scouts had projected him as an edge rusher? Even if he could play equally as dominant as an off ball LB (which he probably would if that was where he played full time) would anybody still use him there instead of as an edge rusher the way dallas uses him?

The truth is one position is more valuable and more sought after than the other and you can see that on draft boards and in salary allocations. It's not just the Eagles. There will always be about 3 or 4 really special off-ball LBs in the NFL each season and the rest are just ... the rest. Shaq Leonard was one for 4 years and got paid at exactly the time the NFL began devaluing the position. The injury set him back for sure and clouded his future with uncertainty. The colts had no choice but to get out of that deal and take the big dead cap hit --- even if he returned to his all-pro form, nobody was trading for that contract for an off-ball LB. 

As for Dean, I still love the pick. The injury was unfortunate, but the people labeling him injury-prone are ignorantly basing it on 1 injury that was reaggravated after trying to let it heal without surgery. He never missed a game in college or his rookie NFL season. There's no reason to equate him to Maddox at this time. 

Your first round picks will always be the high upside difference makers. Offensively those positions are QB, Offensive Tackle and WR. Defensively it's D-line, Pass Rushing LB'ers and CB's. In a passing league you need guys that can get to the QB and cover. On the other side of the ball you need a QB, someone to keep them upright and someone to throw to. NFL FO's are looking at the position similar to RB. They can get some good value picks in later rounds and let them develop. 

Some guys take that little bit longer to develop and probably begin to hit their prime around 26-27. Dean just turned 23 last month (he is 4 months older than Jalen Carter) and needs a few more years in the gym to get that NFL body/strength. 

I think they made a few mistakes this year, the first was probably going too young at the position. They brought in Morrow to replace White but they didn't have any older heads in the room, hence why they made the move for Jack and Cunningham. They really like Christian Elliss before they released him and Ben VanSumeren is another rookie that will take time to develop, however they're not ready to step in right away but may be pretty good players in 3 years time. They have a new LB'er coach since Gannon took Nick Rallis with him to be the Cards DC. They also lost Dennard Wilson after they didn't give him the DC job and the secondary has also been poor. That's a lot of change on the defensive side of the ball and D. J. Eliot is an experienced coach but this is his first NFL job coaching the LB'ers. 

All i know is we had the #1 run D when Dean and Cunningham were both healthy and shooting the gaps...

19 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

All i know is we had the #1 run D when Dean and Cunningham were both healthy and shooting the gaps...

I think the injuries hurt the run D, but I think some of the #1 ranking was a result of the teams we faced and the game scripts. We’re also terrible against the pass so why run against us. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 12:23 PM, opa-opa said:

Can Dean stay healthy?  He came in hurt and seems to end up hurt over and over. 

Dean was important to this defense.  He got people lined up in the right place.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Dean was important to this defense.  He got people lined up in the right place.  

Bad idea to rely on an injury prone dude to be that guy. 

• Like 1