LB Nakobe Dean Foot Injury (UPDATE: Placed Back on IR on 11/16/23

time2rock

Per Cody Benjamin (CBS Sports):

The Eagles escaped Foxborough with a win on Sunday, but they didn't escape unscathed. Starting linebacker Nakobe Dean is expected to miss multiple weeks after leaving Week 1's game against the Patriots early with a foot injury, per NFL Media.

A 2022 third-round draft pick, Dean was making his first career start in New England. The Georgia product logged seven tackles, ranking among team leaders, before exiting. He was later seen leaving the locker room in a walking boot, and while he won't require surgery for his injury, NBC Sports Philadelphia reports he's set to miss "at least" a few games, "maybe more."

A trip to injured reserve (IR) is likely in the cards; that would ensure at least a four-game absence but free up a roster spot.

In the meantime, ESPN is reporting that the Eagles signed former Titans' first-round pick, Rashaan Evans, to their practice squad. They were already thin at the position, entering 2023 with only former Texans and Titans starter Zach Cunningham and third-year reserve Christian Elliss on the 53-man roster.

Philadelphia also has Nicholas Morrow and Ben VanSumeren on the practice squad; both are candidates to be promoted for Thursday's Week 2 game against the Vikings.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-nakobe-dean-expected-to-miss-multiple-weeks-with-foot-injury-suffered-vs-patriots-per-reports/

Not good, not good at all. Dean has some talent and I think could be a good solid starter but if he can’t stay healthy that is going to be an issue for him. Hopefully he can return quickly because LB is just such a worry!

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not good, not good at all. Dean has some talent and I think could be a good solid starter but if he can’t stay healthy that is going to be an issue for him. Hopefully he can return quickly because LB is just such a worry!

There is no one behind Dean on the DC. 

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/depth-chart

Not that this is official or anything, but as we all know there are only 2 LBs not named Dean on the roster currently (Cunningham and Elliss).  They do have Morrow and VanSumeren on the PS that can be called up but I don't think any of them are ILBs.  And obviously they just signed Evans to the PS.  LB definitely needs to be a draft day focus next year (along with OT and RB since all are FAs except Gainwell).  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Not that this is official or anything, but as we all know there are only 2 LBs not named Dean on the roster currently (Cunningham and Elliss).  They do have Morrow and VanSumeren on the PS that can be called up but I don't think any of them are ILBs.  And obviously they just signed Evans to the PS.  LB definitely needs to be a draft day focus next year (along with OT and RB since all are FAs except Gainwell).  

If Dean goes to IR the Eagles arguably won't have a single LB on the active roster that would be given a spot on any other team's 53.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I missed when he got injured. Does anyone know how he hurt it?

He got his leg stuck between an eagles DL and rolled during a tackle, really weird play, looked like something out of MMA.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Morrow and Vansumeren are both off ball LBs.

• Thanks 1

The Eagles put way too much on their expectations for Dean. This guy was just anointed to be the guy and they just assumed it would work. Howie gambled here and he lost this one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles put way too much on their expectations for Dean. This guy was just anointed to be the guy and they just assumed it would work. Howie gambled here and he lost this one. 

Yep. That's exactly it. For as smart as Howie is that was absolutely the wrong move after watching the defense not be able to get off the field vs the Chiefs. I think his draft choices were correct, but he needed to bring in better players than NM or the other JAGs he tried to patch things with when he saw they had a problem. It's a balancing act trying to fix everything but he could have done better.

• Like 1

Dean gets hurt stepping out of the shower.

Dean gets hurt buttoning his shirt.

Dean gets hurt putting down his electric windows in his $85K BMW.

:huh:

• Like 2

Maybe we should just play a lot more dime formations. Since this team obviously doesn't value LBs at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well I mean it's not like Howie spent a ton of resources on off ball LB in previous years, TJ Edwards was undrafted.

Kyzir was a low level street FA.

2017 was weird in that Jordan hicks their best LB got hurt as usual and Mychal Kendricks who was once a high pick riding the bench comes in and has his best season next to Bradham.🤷‍♂️

Don't think they have anyone like Kendricks  just lying around 

Personally I'd roll with Ellis and Morrow, they may not be allpro  but they're better in coverage than Dean and Cunningham.

Cunningham is great against the run but in a Passing league That's not a skill set with as much value.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

If Dean goes to IR the Eagles arguably won't have a single LB on the active roster that would be given a spot on any other team's 53.

If a player is placed on IR, is it minimum 4 weeks before they can be added back to the active 53?  I forget the specific length of time.

11 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Well I mean it's not like Howie spent a ton of resources on off ball LB in previous years, TJ Edwards was undrafted.

Kyzir was a low level street FA.

2017 was weird in that Jordan hicks their best LB got hurt as usual and Mychal Kendricks who was once a high pick riding the bench comes in and has his best season next to Bradham.🤷‍♂️

Don't think they have anyone like Kendricks  just lying around 

Personally I'd roll with Ellis and Morrow, they may not be allpro  but they're better in coverage than Dean and Cunningham.

Cunningham is great against the run but in a Passing league That's not a skill set with as much value.

I just feel like linebacker and safety under Howie as GM get the attention they should. We end up with guys they just throw at the position and hope they work out. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Yep. That's exactly it. For as smart as Howie is that was absolutely the wrong move after watching the defense not be able to get off the field vs the Chiefs. I think his draft choices were correct, but he needed to bring in better players than NM or the other JAGs he tried to patch things with when he saw they had a problem. It's a balancing act trying to fix everything but he could have done better.

Like Seth Joyner said on the radio they could have moved some contracts around to find 6mil for TJ Edwards. They developed the player and just let him walk. Sure they couldn’t keep everyone, but they should have kept at least one of those linebackers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If a player is placed on IR, is it minimum 4 weeks before they can be added back to the active 53?  I forget the specific length of time.

Yes 4 weeks.  I believe 4 games in case of bye

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Like Seth Joyner said on the radio they could have moved some contracts around to find 6mil for TJ Edwards. They developed the player and just let him walk. Sure they couldn’t keep everyone, but they should have kept at least one of those linebackers.

But, TJ signed with the Bears like within the first 15 minutes of FA. So, IMO, he wanted out. And the rumors I heard were that the Eagles offered just about what the Bears offered. Maybe TJ just wanted to move to another team. It happens.

With that said, the Eagles cannot rely on Dean, not with his injury issues. There’s a BIG reason why he fell to the 3rd round. We’re seeing it now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Edwards was gone "home to Chicago" 15 minutes into free agency. His heart wasn't here. I doubt outside of overpaying him, Howie was going to change his mind. Edwards is a life-long Bears fan. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

How did Howie lose here? You can't predict injuries. Bradberry is concussed --- Howie lost another one I guess ... 

The injury is only supposed to be about 4 weeks. It's a good opportunity for Elliss, another player I think you were optimistic about. It will give him a chance to fill in as the starter much like Blankenship did last season when CJGJ was out. I think you're a wee bit premature with the "I told you so" about Dean. He was playing well and after he left, there was a noticeable downgrade in coverage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah, one of the two would have been nice

• Like 1

I feel like this is definitely the situation where letting the Giants get Isiah Simmons for a 7th comes back to bite us. Yes, I know the giants got spanked yesterday. It doesn't make me feel any different, would have been a great depth piece with nuts upside.

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

LB definitely needs to be a draft day focus next year (along with OT and RB since all are FAs except Gainwell).  

They can pull a Steelers and draft the kid of one of their historical stars i.e. Trotter Jr

23 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

They can pull a Steelers and draft the kid of one of their historical stars i.e. Trotter Jr

Well, we’re all hoping for that but think he may got higher than they’d like. I suspect we’ll draft an LB in the 2nd or 3rd round - maybe one of those Georgia boys who have a couple inches and 15 lbs on Dean and can cover, stop the run and rush the passer. 

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Edwards was gone "home to Chicago" 15 minutes into free agency. His heart wasn't here. I doubt outside of overpaying him, Howie was going to change his mind. Edwards is a life-long Bears fan. 

How did Howie lose here? You can't predict injuries. Bradberry is concussed --- Howie lost another one I guess ... 

The injury is only supposed to be about 4 weeks. It's a good opportunity for Elliss, another player I think you were optimistic about. It will give him a chance to fill in as the starter much like Blankenship did last season when CJGJ was out. I think you're a wee bit premature with the "I told you so" about Dean. He was playing well and after he left, there was a noticeable downgrade in coverage. 

When I say he gambled I mean he put all his eggs in the Dean basket. Elliss is probably the only linebacker I think has potential in this group. He should not have let both Edwards and White both walk. Should’ve kept one. He just assumed Dean would be the guy and that’s it. Funny you bring up Bradbury, because at least at that position Howie has filled it with talent. Maybe you should stop acting like everything is just great, because you gush over mediocre players. Howie did not put enough effort in manning the linebacker situation. They didn’t even try to offer Edwards money.