OZARK

DBW

I don't think this spoils anything. I think the reason Three kinda disappeared throughout the series is that the kid actor wasn't good. And he grew up SO fast that it was almost impossible to pretend that he's a fifteen year old (or whatever he was supposed to be) when he looked like a giant. It was tough enough to explain Jonah's growth spurt.

Ruth's pitch: "Hey you want to leave your home and travel over a thousand miles to live with an acquaintance that you may not know all that well to really stick it to a guy who's heavily involved with a Mexican drug cartel that's known for brutally dismembering their enemies?"

I mean, how could she have said no?

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Anyone think Wendys dad story arch went on too long?

I also found it difficult to believe John Boy acting like that. It was hard to take him seriously as a character.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

man, they really killed off Ruth in the finale.  that ain't right.  :nonono:

• Sad 1

this show was really annoying at times...just finished it and the ending was pretty much trash. it had some good moments but was overall average. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

this show was really annoying at times...just finished it and the ending was pretty much trash. it had some good moments but was overall average. 

I didn’t like the ending either.  But it was a decent show while it lasted.

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

I didn’t like the ending either.

image.gif.daf3bfa33f7773971c67d5dd9c942a85.gif

• Haha 2

On 5/23/2022 at 9:06 AM, mikemack8 said:

Regarding the part about the cougar wife

Hide contents

The way they laid it on thick with her and Sam, I thought for sure those two were gonna bang :lol: Then when nothing happened it was like OK, so that was kinda pointless

Spoiler

No doubt.  We had to see Wyatt bang that old hag, but Sam didn't get to close on the deal with a chick that looks 100x better.

3 hours ago, The_Omega said:

image.gif.daf3bfa33f7773971c67d5dd9c942a85.gif

That doesn’t make me feel better about the ending.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to finishing Ozark off.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:52 AM, NOTW said:

Just finished the finale. Surprised no one said this about the ending:

Hide contents

They didn't show Jonah actually shoot anything/anyone they did a Sopranos cut to black. You could think Jonah shot the urn, so the evidence would fall on the ground, easy to

wash away. Just before, I thought why don't Wendy & Marty just attack him, take the urn and dump it in the water. 

My first thought was the Sopranos ending and potential for a season 5 or special down the road. Part of me hoped Jonah shot his mother; Wendy seriously grated on me by the end of it and her dying was more preferable than Ruth. How Marty didn't drown her, I'll never know 🤣

Overall, I like Ozark but the quality slipped; way too much filler and convolution for the sake of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished it the other night

Spoiler

It was pretty underwhelming. Everything was looking like it was going to be a happy ending (which was never going to be the case) and in the end Clare giving up Ruth felt like cop out. It would have made more sense to have Wendy get one of her kids or Marty killed considering she kept digging them into a hole. Plus Ruth was my favourite character so I am still salty that she was the only one of the remaining major cast that died.

The first ep of volume 2 (The Cousin of Death) is quite possibly one of my fave of any show. It ties into Ruth's character perfectly since she listens to old school rap throughout the show and they use Illmatic as a theme. 

On 5/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

The final scene is not someone who regrets everything he did and where he is at in his life. You can tell with his smirk as he's looking at the equipment he's proud. He knew he was dying anyway because the cancer came back, so he went out on his terms, taking out Lydia, Jack and the gang and Todd in the process.

He also left $10M of cash for Walt Jr/Holly/Skylar through that trust fund he set up with Gretchen. 

Read what Gilligan said about the ending

So in his mind he:

1. Set up his family for life

2. Got revenge

3. Didn't get arrested or face direct punishment for his drug empire

4. Died  with his "Precious", the thing he loved most, per the creator of the show

You don't think he thinks he won?

I'm not saying from a casual viewers perspective or state of mind. From his. 

Walt was "in the empire business.”

Even if we go with a totally psychopathic mental state, where Walt has absolutely zero regard for his family name or public shame, and all he cares about is his meth business, he still lost.

His "precious” wasn’t his anymore. It was stolen from him even more egregiously than grey matter was. He was in the empire business, and that empire went completely teets up because a more powerful and ruthless crew came along and stole it from him. By black hat Heisenberg’s own terms, he lost.

He didn’t die as the mastermind drug kingpin of the southwest, he died as a guy on a suicide mission against the people that ripped his business from him by naked force. 

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Walt was "in the empire business.”

Even if we go with a totally psychopathic mental state, where Walt has absolutely zero regard for his family name or public shame, and all he cares about is his meth business, he still lost.

His "precious” wasn’t his anymore. It was stolen from him even more egregiously than grey matter was. He was in the empire business, and that empire went completely teets up because a more powerful and ruthless crew came along and stole it from him. By black hat Heisenberg’s own terms, he lost.

He didn’t die as the mastermind drug kingpin of the southwest, he died as a guy on a suicide mission against the people that ripped his business from him by naked force. 

His original goals were met though:  get money to afford his cancer treatments, get money for his family, get out of his boring job that he settled for and make something of himself, the satisfaction of proving Hank wrong; he got teased by him all that time and right under the nose of a DEA agent did all that.  He made a name for himself, put out the best product.  That was more than he could have dreamed of when he started.  He thought he was just going to make some extra money on the side to pay for his cancer treatments.  

• Like 2

The final goal of WW was raising $771k to support his family if he died. What he then became in pursuit of that, changed what the end goal was into something more sinister.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

His original goals were met though:  get money to afford his cancer treatments, get money for his family, get out of his boring job that he settled for and make something of himself, the satisfaction of proving Hank wrong; he got teased by him all that time and right under the nose of a DEA agent did all that.  He made a name for himself, put out the best product.  That was more than he could have dreamed of when he started.  He thought he was just going to make some extra money on the side to pay for his cancer treatments.  

And then got to poison Lydia who crossed him as well as taking out everyone else that ever crossed him. He went out on top out of everyone in the drug world.

Also thought it was interesting in Better Call Saul how Meth in general ended with Walt and Ecstasy was the new big drug.

51 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

The final goal of WW was raising $771k to support his family if he died. What he then became in pursuit of that, changed what the end goal was into something more sinister.

He certainly progressed through the series of course.  Once he got a taste of that power and climbing that ladder he did have those empire goals.  But, he always knew he was dying so there was no empire for him to hold onto.  Once he severed ties with Gus, the only successor to his business was Jessie and he ruined that.  He made a lot of bad choices that hurt his empire.  Trusted the wrong people too quickly, hurt Jessie who was loyal to him and his decisions also cost Hank his life which he was really upset about.

The finale scene when he has satisfaction on his face makes sense given all he'd been through, the unexpected turns and to finish with taking revenge on his enemies, not going to jail and having money for his family to live comfortably and to look on his achievements and realize it was a helluva ride...for a boring chemistry teacher who was depressed with a cancer diagnosis to that.