Jeffrey Lurie is a Bad Owner

wrestlevessel

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Story has it Lurie wants a mad bomber offense, deep balls all over the field, apparently Sirianni is giving him what he wants, everybody is running deep with no safety valves in sight.

So no, Sirianni isn't walking away from Lurie's mad bomber mandate if the reports about what Lurie wants are true.

There were reports of the same nature in Sirianni'a first year here when the run:pass ratio was skewed more heavily to the latter.  It wasn't until Steichen took over play calling that we went run heavier and started winning at a higher clip.  It would be completely mind-boggling if Lurie is still mandating a pass heavy offense since he saw with his own eyes how a balanced attack helps (it took us to the Super Bowl last year).  

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There were reports of the same nature in Sirianni'a first year here when the run:pass ratio was skewed more heavily to the latter.  It wasn't until Steichen took over play calling that we went run heavier and started winning at a higher clip.  It would be completely mind-boggling if Lurie is still mandating a pass heavy offense since he saw with his own eyes how a balanced attack helps (it took us to the Super Bowl last year).  

That's the thing, you're not thinking as a billionaire. Lurie is putting out a product and wants to keep making a great profit.  It's a passing league, so it's no shocker that he'd want to see big plays. We all know that running first is this offenses identity, but that's boring to them. 

I just dont think it's out of the question to believe the rumblings when the same were said during Doug's tenure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MF POON said:

That's the thing, you're not thinking as a billionaire. Lurie is putting out a product and wants to keep making a great profit.  It's a passing league, so it's no shocker that he'd want to see big plays. We all know that running first is this offenses identity, but that's boring to them. 

I just dont think it's out of the question to believe the rumblings when the same were said during Doug's tenure.

he isn't going to get much profit by having the eagles not host a playoff game. i don't think Lurie micromanages that much. He wants a dynamic, forward thinking offense but i think that is about the extend he goes to. at the end of the day he wants wins. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Eagles, 1985 Media Guide (Philadelphia) (C)_0000.jpg

Truth be told, I liked Braman as an owner, it's not his fault that Reggie took his ball and went elsewhere, Braman would have paid him, he just didn't like getting strong-armed by Reggie.

At least Braman knew the value of Randall, that football ignorant Lurie when asked about bringing Randall back replied, "well, we'll see", I never liked him since.

16 minutes ago, MF POON said:

That's the thing, you're not thinking as a billionaire. Lurie is putting out a product and wants to keep making a great profit.

Winning in any fashion will do more for his profit making than losing with his mad bomber product.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

it's not his fault that Reggie took his ball and went elsewhere,

Reggie isn't the only issue. Braman refused to play the free agency game at all. That's why one of the greatest D's in NFL history was dismantled prematurely. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Truth be told, I liked Braman as an owner, it's not his fault that Reggie took his ball and went elsewhere, Braman would have paid him, he just didn't like getting strong-armed by Reggie.

At least Braman knew the value of Randall, that football ignorant Lurie when asked about bringing Randall back replied, "well, we'll see", I never liked him since.

There is no defending Braman. POS.

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Reggie isn't the only issue. Braman refused to play the free agency game at all. That's why one of the greatest D's in NFL history was dismantled prematurely. 

I thought that was Harry Gamble that didn't do the FA thing.

Defending Norman Braman is a new level of TATER.  :roll:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I thought that was Harry Gamble that didn't do the FA thing.

Braman being the owner, sets the agenda and makes the rules for all of his employees.

Here's an article from a few years ago:

Why Norman Braman is the ultimate Eagles Villain

By Reuben Frank, Eagles Insider • Published June 22, 2020 • Updated on June 22, 2020 at 10:05 am

Reggie White. Clyde Simmons. Eric Allen. Seth Joyner.

Is this a list of guys on the all-time Eagles team or a list of guys who bolted from Philadelphia solely because of Norman Braman?

It’s both.

White may be the greatest defensive player ever. Simmons was a two-time all-pro. Allen was a six-time Pro Bowler and should be a Hall of Famer. Joyner was the best outside linebacker of his generation. 

Keith Jackson was a record-setting all-pro tight end. Keith Byars was the top pass-catching back of his era. Wes Hopkins and Andre Waters were ferocious book-end safeties

In the span of three years, Braman let every one of them go.

Braman is the ultimate Philadelphia villain because he gleefully, knowingly, willingly and systematically oversaw the dismantling of one of the most popular teams in Philadelphia sports history.

We’re not going to know the results right away,” Braman told the Inquirer in March of 1993 when asked about letting all the team’s free agents leave without as much as a legit counter offer. 

"This is going to take time. I’d like people to be patient enough to wait to see the results on the field before automatically condemning us.

Can we condemn you now, Norman?

You think Chip Kelly was bad for cutting ties with LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson and Nick Foles? 

Multiple that by about 10.

Fortunately, Jeff Lurie came along and rescued the franchise. But the damage had been done. 

Braman was cheap, yeah. But that was only part of it. Heck, just days after losing Reggie the Eagles signed defensive end Tim Harris to a three-year, $4.7 million deal. Typical mis-judgment by Braman and his cronies thinking the former 49er could replace Reggie White. Harris lasted four games.

So it wasn’t really the money as much as Braman wanting to purge the roster of every player that had been loyal to Buddy. Which was pretty much all of the team’s good players.

"I wish I had the opportunity to retire there,” White told the Inquirer before signing with the Packers. "But it’s not going to happen. It hurts. I never really ruled out the Eagles, but they ruled me out. If anyone is running me out of town, they are.”

Braman was the ultimate outsider. He bought the team as an investment, not out of any passion for football or the city of Philadelphia.

Heck, he didn’t even live here. He was a Miami auto dealership magnate who had as much in common with the average Eagles fan as a Martian.

"Buddy cared about winning,” Joyner said in his famous 1992 interview with the New York Times. "Braman cared about making money.”

Braman charged players for their socks. He never tried to upgrade the team’s decrepit Veterans Stadium practice facility. He hired Rich Kotite, for crying out loud. And he let some of the greatest players in franchise history walk away without so much as a wave good-bye.

He did irreparable harm to the franchise, alienated players and fans and laughed all the way to the bank.

Norman Braman is the greatest villain in Philadelphia sports history.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/why-norman-braman-is-the-ultimate-eagles-villain/344186/

18 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

He is the reason Howie Roseman stays no matter what, and we are forced to have horrible coordinators instead of good veterans. Cowboys get Dan Quinn for years while we get inexperienced duds. It is so cheap.

I feel that this is a response out of emotion from the poor performance in the last several weeks and less of how you truly feel about the Philadelphia Eagles owner, Jeffrie Lurie. He has been a great owner, fan, and lover of Philadelphia.

The fact that you are able to create this threat and keep it up shows how good of an owner he truly is.

• Like 2

Lurie should STFU and write checks.

Let the people who know football dictate what wins game. Whether those guys are currently employed with the Eagles or need to be brought in is another matter.

The Eagles could do worse for an owner. I know because I’ve witnessed it. Could Lurie be better? Yes absolutely, but he could also be a lot worse. 

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Braman being the owner, sets the agenda and makes the rules for all of his employees.

Here's an article from a few years ago:

I saw that article when it came out, I didn't read it then and I'm not reading it now, I heard him speak when he was the owner, I thought he was a good owner, PERIOD, I got a mind of my own.

10 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I didn't read it then and I'm not reading it now ...

Ok, I only provided it because I thought we were having a discussion. The article has direct quotes from players who dealt with Braman, so I thought it might give some firsthand insight that maybe you'd be interested in. But if you're not, that's ok too.

For me, I'm glad Lurie bought the team from him. I only wish he'd done it a year earlier. 

5 hours ago, MF POON said:

Lurie makes money hand over fist regardless. This is a successful franchise, especially when seen through the prism of the league's desire for parity. This is all a red herring. If the team wins just enough, the rest should just be icing for a money driven businessman. If that's what he is, he'll be happy as long as the team is there, or thereabouts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

IMO, Siri and BJ were overconfident in their talent and expected that if Hurts can scramble with the threat of running, it will open opportunities for the receivers and he just needs to throw to them and they will find a way to make the grab.  They also admittedly love the big play downfield.  It seems they don't rely much on scheme and play design which are very basic, they rely on star players just making plays.  And sometimes it works!  So they keep trying it, AJ Brown will just muscle his way to make a catch and then run for yards after catch.  Get the ball in Smitty's hands and he'll make it happen.  Get a screen to Goedert and he'll just push his way to a 1st down.  Throw those stupid bubble screens and expect the blockers to make it happen.  If we can see with our eyes as fans on the couch what's working and what's not, how in the world are the "analytics" driving the decisions?  I would think analytics would show failures and then the areas that need to improve.  

I don't know to what extent analytics is driving decision making with the Eagles. I don't know for sure that it is driving decision making. I've just heard from more than one reporter that it's real. What that means is anyone's guess. Maybe the interns holding the HC, OC, & DC positions are just so far in over their heads that they simply can't do the job. At this point the explanation as to why the team has checked out going into the playoffs isn't nearly as important as the fact that they have. In every case it comes back to piss-poor leadership and that my friend belongs to Siri and his clown show coordinators. For my part, only the O-line coach is safe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Truth be told that POS Norman Braman went on local tv and in an interview stated he didn't care about winning championships. He stated he cared about making money and he's been making a lot of it. I watched that interview. Shortly after that he announced he was selling the team. Anybody who thinks Norman Braman was a good NFL franchise owner is sadly mistaken.

Also truth be told he never made an offer to Reggie despite inquiries from his agent.

• Like 1

Lurie isn't perfect but to say he's a bad owner is ridiculous. He's one of the better owners in the league....

• Like 2

He is a good owner, but he has to stop meddling. Let football people make football decisions. Howie too- stay the F out of football decisions- evaluate talent, drafts, etc- but stay away from the choices the coach has to make. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I’m not seeing how Lurie is a bad owner? He makes big decisions when he feels they need to be made. He generally picks good replacements. This team has made the play offs more than most teams during his tenure.

It’s not that he’s a bad owner, it’s that he’s allowing his GM to maintain total control of team philosophy, talent evaluation, player selection, and coaching/coordinator selection.  Howie thinks he deserves this power because he believes he was more responsible for the SB win in 2016 than anyone else. Granted, he did a great job that season, but no GM should have that much control, especially over the coaching staff. But 6 years later, while we’re still competitive, we’ve been shortchanging our players and fans by not providing them with genuine coaching talent and true football personnel who aren’t limited and/or restricted by a glorified accountant believing he’s a football mastermind. We’d win more SB’s if Jeff would limit his sidekick and let him stick to what he does best - wheeling and dealing, cap structure, and contracts. 

Lurie's only issue is that he recently started meddling too much. Otherwise he's an awesome owner.

16 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Speaking of Laurie...I bet he's furious that this team threw away their potential for any home playoff games over the last two months.  The amount of money lost to the organization here is immense.  The impact of this implosion goes far beyond just upsetting fans. 

Get it right, pal.  It's Lorrie🙂

• Haha 1