Jeffrey Lurie is a Bad Owner

wrestlevessel

5 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Get it right, pal.  It's Lorrie🙂

I can never spell his name right :nonono:

He’s not a bad owner. Under his ownership the team has been gone to three super bowls and won one. They’ve had mostly winning records at least since 1999 when I first started supporting this team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was curious so I looked up the win-loss history of each owner. It only went to 2021, so I updated Lurie with the appropriate numbers for 2022 and 2023. So ignore the '1994-2021' for Lurie, the numbers are through the end of the 2023 season. 

Under Lurie, the Eagles have won more games than the previous 4 owners combined (1953-1993). 269 wins under Lurie, 262 wins under those previous 4 owners. Make of it what you will.

Eagles Owners 1933-2023.png

• Like 3

On 1/8/2024 at 7:23 AM, time2rock said:

Trade Lurie to Carolina for Tepper!  

Thanks for the comic relief.  I gotta take a break here and another bp pill.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Procus said:

I miss Jerry Wolman and Leonard Tose

I was only 3 months old when Tose bought the Eagles from Wolman, so I don't go back far enough to remember him. I do remember Tose, though. But growing up in Redskin territory, Eagles news was hard to come by so I never really got a lot of news on him or any of his news conferences. 

From what I've heard past players and Dick Vermeil say of Tose though, he was a really good guy, he just had a really bad gambling addiction.  

16 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was curious so I looked up the win-loss history of each owner. It only went to 2021, so I updated Lurie with the appropriate numbers for 2022 and 2023. So ignore the '1994-2021' for Lurie, the numbers are through the end of the 2023 season. 

Under Lurie, the Eagles have won more games than the previous 4 owners combined (1953-1993). 269 wins under Lurie, 262 wins under those previous 4 owners. Make of it what you will.

Eagles Owners 1933-2023.png

His win % is pretty much identical to Braman and he's played longer seasons than all but the last 6 years of Tose, by sheer longevity he's going to have won a lot of games.

I don't particularly have an axe to grind with Lurie, I think Howie is given a lot more kudos for making splashy trades and FA moves than he deserves for overall roster maintenance through the draft and contract structuring.

The big concern I have is why the last 2 coaching hires have imploded so quickly after initial success, why are we always appointing guys that are in the lower ranks of the well regarded candidates, Pederson and Sirianni were both well down the potential HC hire lists in '16 and '21, why are we fishing down there?

Especially in '16 we'd fired Chip midseason, we had the pick of the candidates available but we took Doug, I recognise Doug won a Superbowl and I'd pay that man's bar bill if I saw him until the day one of us dies, but outside '17 we were a dull workmanlike football team to watch.

Sirianni did get recognised for his OC work in Indy, they once went 3 straight games without a single 3 and out, but his offense has stagnated this year to a stuttering mess, Brian Johnson as an OC at Florida put Kyle Trask in the discussion for a Heisman and put over 30 points on everybody they played bar Oklahoma, how does that translate to this years mess? How did we get here, coaches going against their previous tendencies?

Is it because the rumours of the owner and FO imposing conditions on scheme are true?

• Like 1

This is just a categorically stupid take. Be frustrated. Be angry. But also be informed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

His win % is pretty much identical to Braman and he's played longer seasons than all but the last 6 years of Tose, by sheer longevity he's going to have won a lot of games.

I don't particularly have an axe to grind with Lurie, I think Howie is given a lot more kudos for making splashy trades and FA moves than he deserves for overall roster maintenance through the draft and contract structuring.

The big concern I have is why the last 2 coaching hires have imploded so quickly after initial success, why are we always appointing guys that are in the lower ranks of the well regarded candidates, Pederson and Sirianni were both well down the potential HC hire lists in '16 and '21, why are we fishing down there?

Especially in '16 we'd fired Chip midseason, we had the pick of the candidates available but we took Doug, I recognise Doug won a Superbowl and I'd pay that man's bar bill if I saw him until the day one of us dies, but outside '17 we were a dull workmanlike football team to watch.

Sirianni did get recognised for his OC work in Indy, they once went 3 straight games without a single 3 and out, but his offense has stagnated this year to a stuttering mess, Brian Johnson as an OC at Florida put Kyle Trask in the discussion for a Heisman and put over 30 points on everybody they played bar Oklahoma, how does that translate to this years mess? How did we get here, coaches going against their previous tendencies?

Is it because the rumours of the owner and FO imposing conditions on scheme are true?

I agree 100%. It really makes no sense that Nick and Brian would somehow forget how to coach/design good plays, and would also be so oblivious to things not working.  I get that some coaches are really stubborn (Andy Reid), but Nick noticed last season that his offense wasn't working and switched things up, yet he somehow lacked the ability to do that this season.  

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was only 3 months old when Tose bought the Eagles from Wolman, so I don't go back far enough to remember him. I do remember Tose, though. But growing up in Redskin territory, Eagles news was hard to come by so I never really got a lot of news on him or any of his news conferences. 

From what I've heard past players and Dick Vermeil say of Tose though, he was a really good guy, he just had a really bad gambling addiction.  

Tose didn't have the capacity to lobby properly for a new stadium, or a new training complex.  Braman did, and even floated the idea of building a stadium called "Eagles Stadium" - but he didn't have the ability to bring his idea to fruition.  He was too abrasive and unable to work with those he needed to to get it done.  But his Eagles teams were consistently winners - even if playoff victories were hard to come by.

On 1/7/2024 at 7:28 PM, wrestlevessel said:

He is the reason Howie Roseman stays no matter what, and we are forced to have horrible coordinators instead of good veterans. Cowboys get Dan Quinn for years while we get inexperienced duds. It is so cheap.

If Howie was not there, Jeffrey would invent another version of him. After all owning movie theaters makes you know everything there is about football.

Is he a bad owner? WE got dat Lombardi..... 🤷🏻‍♂️

I genuinely believe he's a fan like the rest of us and is equally impatient as us. 

Howard on the other hand is doing is his best but the man just doesn't have a football 'brains'. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:02 PM, EagleVA said:

Truth be told, I liked Braman as an owner, it's not his fault that Reggie took his ball and went elsewhere, Braman would have paid him, he just didn't like getting strong-armed by Reggie.

At least Braman knew the value of Randall, that football ignorant Lurie when asked about bringing Randall back replied, "well, we'll see", I never liked him since.

And this here ladies and gentlemen tells you all you need to know about this guy. He’s a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. 

• Like 2

Lurie is an excellent owner.  We are blessed to have him and Howie.  Team is good almost every year and we have won a Super Bowl, almost two.  But if his son is meddling in the game plans, Lurie needs to straighten that out pronto.  Something is gumming up the works.

• Like 1

Jeffrey Lurie is one of the best owners in the NFL.

/thread 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 10:28 PM, wrestlevessel said:

Cowboys get Dan Quinn

:roll::roll::roll:

Is this the gold standard? One Super Bowl win in his 30 years of ownership. 

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Is this the gold standard? One Super Bowl win in his 30 years of ownership. 

How many Super Bowls did they have before him?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

How many Super Bowls did they have before him?

Is that the standard? Measuring Super Bowl wins vs previous ownership. 

So if the Lurie family owns the team for the next 30 years and fails to win another SB we’ll consider that successful because they still did better than any other ownership group? Man, you have low standards. 

The team has been consistently competitive since Lurie took over. It´s laughable that anyone could consider him a bad owner.

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Is that the standard? Measuring Super Bowl wins vs previous ownership. 

So if the Lurie family owns the team for the next 30 years and fails to win another SB we’ll consider that successful because they still did better than any other ownership group? Man, you have low standards. 

You can't win a SB without regular season success.  Lurie's brought winning culture, has fired coaches at the first sign of a losing season, his teams have been to 3 Super Bowls, prior to that they only went to 1.  The 2 they lost, they only lost by 3 points it's not like they got blown out they were legit contenders in each.  

Besides, what are you going to do about it?  It's not an election, Lurie isn't going anywhere.  There are a lot things to complain about with this team, Lurie isn't one of them.

• Thanks 2

It's not clear who is most responsoble for the team's precipitous decline.

Offensive and defensive coordinators? Are they incompetent of just stymied by Hurts or Sirianni?
Reid's tenure here was marred by his reliance on Mourningwig. Who he didn't bring to the Chiefs.

Hurts? Is he too stubborn to submit to coaches' play-calling?

Howie?

Sirianni?

I'd give Lurie a pass. He writes big checks to all the above. It's up to them to earn them.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:10 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I’m not seeing how Lurie is a bad owner? He makes big decisions when he feels they need to be made. He generally picks good replacements. This team has made the play offs more than most teams during his tenure.

He’s not, it’s just that he needs a coach who has near to complete autonomy. He has abandoned that position’s importance over a glorified accountant, who’s good at his job, if his job were limited to contracts, trades, money management, etc. Instead we have a GM who believes he’s a superior talent evaluator and understands the game better than those he’s hiring. His fragile ego and desire for control over those under him have led us to the most historic collapse for an NFL franchise. Lurie needs to hire those in the know and allow them to do their jobs while putting a leash on his GM. That’s not going to change things immediately, but it’ll allow for a needed philosophical change that’ll bring this organization a SB more often, rather than just being competitive and falling short. Good, no nonsense coaches and their staffs will want to come here as well. 

25 minutes ago, eaglegenius said:

It's not clear who is most responsoble for the team's precipitous decline.

Offensive and defensive coordinators? Are they incompetent of just stymied by Hurts or Sirianni?
Reid's tenure here was marred by his reliance on Mourningwig. Who he didn't bring to the Chiefs.

Hurts? Is he too stubborn to submit to coaches' play-calling?

Howie?

Sirianni?

I'd give Lurie a pass. He writes big checks to all the above. It's up to them to earn them.

The fish rots from the head down. 
Therefore Lurie is to blame. 
That’s not to say he’s a bad owner, but decisions from the top affect the bottom.