Jeffrey Lurie is a Bad Owner

wrestlevessel

On 1/28/2024 at 9:42 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Most of us know the past. We have witnessed the dark times before Lurie. The Eagles have gone to the bowl three times under Lurie. Prior to that they went once. Is Lurie perfect? No he’s not, but he’s easily the best owner the Eagles have had since the SB era and he’s one of the better owners in the league today. Still that doesn’t mean he’s above some criticism, because again he’s not perfect. 

Yeah I’m not sure if it’s millennials or gen z’s thinking Lurie is a bad owner - but whoever it is, doesn’t have a clue of what bad ownership is. 

Previous owners would either refuse to spend (never signed big name free agents, let our big name free agents walk)  or previously to that would be too drunk to manage the team properly to the point that the team could have been sold/moved to other cities at various times. 

Some folks really have no idea what they’re taking about. 

• Like 2

Norman Braman. Not much more needs to be said. That's the definition of bad ownership. 

• Like 2

Tose and before were bad owners with the exception of the guys in the 40’s and 50’s.

Lurie along with Braman is a mediocre owner.  Or slightly above average at best.

Just because the team had bad owners in the past doesn’t make Lurie great.  

Common fallacy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MF POON said:

The main reason I say he's fortunate is because I feel his wins are fluke.  It honestly took crap field conditions and complete meltdowns in the 4th quarter for both of his super bowl wins. I agree, there's not many HC's that have won SB's without elite QB's.  The only guys that come to mind are Noll and Gibbs.

I mean yeah sure luck comes in to it but I guess you can say that of some of Belichick's too? You can also say the same of his losses where he perhaps had some bad fortune. A top HC puts his team in a position to win the SB, Reid has done that on a number of occasions and has 2 rings to show for it.

10 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

Tom Coughlin would be one... 🥷

Yeah you are absolutely right there. Pederson would be another.

Pederson had Foles, who I think we can all agree is the greatest quarterback who ever played the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

Pederson had Foles, who I think we can all agree is the greatest quarterback who ever played the game

Obviously...

Spoiler

Nick Foles Philadelphia Eagles Unsigned Super Bowl LII Vince Lombardi Trophy  Celebration Photograph

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

5af9eab3-1132-4b38-ac25-f1855a32843d_text.gif

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:21 PM, Loosechange said:

Norman Braman. Not much more needs to be said. That's the definition of bad ownership. 

Eagles overall record during the nine years Braman was owner was 79-63-1.  Not so bad.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 9:47 PM, Arsenal79 said:

Tose and before were bad owners with the exception of the guys in the 40’s and 50’s.

Lurie along with Braman is a mediocre owner.  Or slightly above average at best.

Just because the team had bad owners in the past doesn’t make Lurie great.  

Common fallacy.

Eagles overall record with Jeff Lurie as owner is 269-211-3.  Pretty damn good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Procus said:

Eagles overall record during the nine years Braman was owner was 79-63-1.  Not so bad.

That record doesn't tell the whole story. Rich Kotite had a 36-28 record here. He was arguably one of the worst coaches in franchise history. As for Braman, he let Reggie White walk for starters. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:31 AM, Procus said:

Yah, owners are to be judged on the color of the uniforms of their teams.  Seems like a legit criteria

I wasn't the one who brought up the uniform color change, just commented that giving him credit for bringing Kelly Green back should be taken with a grain of salt given it was his decision to get rid of it. Then again maybe he should have been worried about other things than uniform color which pretty much nobody thought was an issue at the time other than his wife. 

Eight teams have won multiple super bowls since 1994 when Lurie took over.  Six teams including the Eagles have won 1 Super Bowl since then.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-super-bowl-wins-since-1994

Like I said, Lurie is a bit above average but nothing special.  Homer fans with childhood trauma of terrible ownership notwithstanding.

2 hours ago, Arsenal79 said:

Eight teams have won multiple super bowls since 1994 when Lurie took over.  Six teams including the Eagles have won 1 Super Bowl since then.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-super-bowl-wins-since-1994

Like I said, Lurie is a bit above average but nothing special.  Homer fans with childhood trauma of terrible ownership notwithstanding.

I suggest you find another team to root for.  The Eagles are much too pedestrian under Lurie for your refined tastes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Eagles are competitive almost every year, there's very few teams can match their recent and medium term success. Look at the Giants, two Lombardis in recent memory, but a ton of wasted years. Following the Eagles is way more fun and interesting 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 10:50 AM, MF POON said:

This. I don't see this success stemming from Reid's brilliance, it's really from having fortunate circumstances.  I still think if last year's game is played on a decent field, the chiefs don't win that SB.  They got lucky against the whiners, and we all saw them get outclassed at every position vs Tampa. I still think Reid having 2 SB wins is pretty fluke, but I can't hate on the guy. I'm actually rooting for him this time because I loathe the 40-whiners 😂

Reid did jump all the way up and draft Mahomes. Say what you want about McNabb, but he was by far the best quarterback of his draft, and since that time the Eagles quarterback selections have been streaky at best. You could argue that Reid’s success is due to having the best player in the league, but he’s the guy who picked that player. In hindsight it’s insane that he fell all the way to 10 and the Bills were the team to let them do it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 1:03 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah sure luck comes in to it but I guess you can say that of some of Belichick's too? You can also say the same of his losses where he perhaps had some bad fortune. A top HC puts his team in a position to win the SB, Reid has done that on a number of occasions and has 2 rings to show for it.

Yeah you are absolutely right there. Pederson would be another.

I agree and thats why this SB is so big for Mahomes and Andy. A win means the difference between a legit claim to dynasty or they just got two lucky fluke SB wins.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:33 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Reid did jump all the way up and draft Mahomes. Say what you want about McNabb, but he was by far the best quarterback of his draft, and since that time the Eagles quarterback selections have been streaky at best. You could argue that Reid’s success is due to having the best player in the league, but he’s the guy who picked that player. In hindsight it’s insane that he fell all the way to 10 and the Bills were the team to let them do it. 

Actually John Dorsey wanted mahomes Reid doesn't have full control over the chiefs roster and still doesn't he answers to veach and the president and at that time Dorsey

After selecting him with the 10th pick of the 2017 Draft, former Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey had no doubts that Patrick Mahomes would go on to do great things in Kansas City.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:33 PM, EazyEaglez said:

No doubt, I just view it no different than Belichick and Brady. I think it's also crazy that in the 3 super bowl games he's won with the Chiefs, there wasn't a single holding call on their OL, and that OL holds like crazy! Would be interesting to see just how many losses they would have if some of those big QB runs and plays were called back due to obvious holds. *shrugs*

And yeah, teams let great players fall all the time. He hit on Kermit and McNabb, but he's had a lot of misses too. Kudos to him, but I'll always view him as the disappointing "I gotta put players in a better position" coach. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:09 AM, MF POON said:

No doubt, I just view it no different than Belichick and Brady. I think it's also crazy that in the 3 super bowl games he's won with the Chiefs, there wasn't a single holding call on their OL, and that OL holds like crazy! Would be interesting to see just how many losses they would have if some of those big QB runs and plays were called back due to obvious holds. *shrugs*

And yeah, teams let great players fall all the time. He hit on Kermit and McNabb, but he's had a lot of misses too. Kudos to him, but I'll always view him as the disappointing "I gotta put players in a better position" coach. 

I don’t want to act like a sudden Reid apologist either. He did enough to merit getting fired here and he still has his moments when he does some of his old frustrating habits too. Perhaps Mahomes is better at overcoming some of those deficiencies than McNabb was. 

• Like 1

Eagles are constantly near the top of the league in $ spent. Lurie has won 55% of his games as owner, with 6 NFCCG appearances (with 3 different head coaches), 2 Super Bowl appearances, and 1 SB win.

Qualitatively, he does not allow the team to be aimless. You want the Pederson/Press Taylor show for 10 years because of 2017? You want Sirianni to keep trotting out a high school offense and hiring his groomsmen?

Judging if something is good or Bad ..misses the point. The problem with Lurie is a problem with all the people at the top, be it politicians or Corporation owners who isolate themselves. Sooner or later paranoia creeps in. Many people at the top have traveled down the same road with the same consequences. They isolate themselves in a small circle. They try to control opinions of others. And the people they isolate themselves with...keep lying to them that everything is fine. How many times did Lurie appear on a talk show and try to address issues? Once? Twice? He is not interested in communicating with the fans...because Philadelphia fans are A holes who would hold him accountable for every wrong decision that he ever made. Instead we have Howie and Siri at the helm of public relations and Siri is strapped to the next Coach to be Fired Rocket if the team does not start winning. Even if the team does start winning ..it would have nothing to do with Siri.  He has no future with this team as far as I am concerned.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 11:09 AM, Traveler Vic said:

Judging if something is good or Bad ..misses the point. The problem with Lurie is a problem with all the people at the top, be it politicians or Corporation owners who isolate themselves. Sooner or later paranoia creeps in. Many people at the top have traveled down the same road with the same consequences. They isolate themselves in a small circle. They try to control opinions of others. And the people they isolate themselves with...keep lying to them that everything is fine. How many times did Lurie appear on a talk show and try to address issues? Once? Twice? He is not interested in communicating with the fans...because Philadelphia fans are A holes who would hold him accountable for every wrong decision that he ever made. Instead we have Howie and Siri at the helm of public relations and Siri is strapped to the next Coach to be Fired Rocket if the team does not start winning. Even if the team does start winning ..it would have nothing to do with Siri.  He has no future with this team as far as I am concerned.

Agreed.  One more year of cheerleader Nick then it's the next puppet

• Like 2