Hurts is dissatisfied with Offensive calls

Traveler Vic

Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts is disappointed that Philadelphia hasn't taken the offense in his desired direction, Jack Browne of theScore reports.  This according to ESPN's Tim McManus who cites a source.

The lack of identity for the Eagles' offense - which averaged just over 20 points per game during a 1-6 finish to the regular season - reportedly has been caused by a disconnect between Hurts' vision, head coach Nick Sirianni, and first-year offensive coordinator Brian Johnson.

Hurts hoped to move away from relying too heavily on downfield throws in favor of short-to-intermediate and middle-of-the-field throws, adds McManus.

Johnson was promoted to OC from quarterbacks coach after Shane Steichen left to become the Indianapolis Colts' head coach last offseason, with an eye on maintaining continuity for an offense that ranked first in points scored and propelled the team to a Super Bowl appearance in 2022.

However, with Sirianni occasionally overruling Johnson's in-game decisions, some players are reportedly unsure who is calling the plays and when.

After finishing second in MVP voting last season, Hurts - who's been nursing a knee injury this year - has seen his interception total jump from six to 15 while his passer rating has dropped from 101.5 to 89.5.

The quarterback has remained a rare threat to score with his legs - he collected 15 rushing touchdowns in 2023 after earning 13 in 2022 - but he has rushed for 605 yards in 17 games compared to 760 in two fewer appearances last year.

• Thanks 1

Um isn’t Johnson like family to Jalen? I mean if you had a problem with the offense then why not work with your family to fix it?why not use some of the successful plays from last year? Ultimately to me it just looked like the NFL has quickly caught up to the Eagles offense. It’s time for a new offensive mind and if Hurts can’t run that offense then it’s time for a new quarterback too. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Um isn’t Johnson like family to Jalen? I mean if you had a problem with the offense then why not work with your family to fix it?why not use some of the successful plays from last year? Ultimately to me it just looked like the NFL has quickly caught up to the Eagles offense. It’s time for a new offensive mind and if Hurts can’t run that offense then it’s time for a new quarterback too. 

Did you read the part about Siri overriding in game calls? To me that is a tell tale. Siri and his offense is failing and everyone around him keeps crashing down. I have no idea what will happen, but I don’t see how Siri stays a head coach. Jeff is not a patient owner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Traveler Vic said:

Did you read the part about Siri overriding in game calls? To me that is a tell tale. Siri and his offense is failing and everyone around him keeps crashing down. I have no idea what will happen, but I don’t see how Siri stays a head coach. Jeff is not a patient owner.

I agree on Sirianni needing to be gone. The overall play designs has been horrible too. They’re so predictable that it’s an embarrassment. Siri needs to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Headline should surprise nobody. Everyone is dissatisfied with the Eagles playcalling. I'm pretty chill as a fan, but I swear whoever was calling all those empty backfield plays tonight should be fired into the midle of the sun, along with whoever drew up all those screens. That was beyond pathetic. And what's the point in pretending to be an RPO when you never run the ball?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hurts gave the game away with a safety, and a weak alligator-arms block for Gainwell the play prior.

He also throws the ball short constantly, or panic-throws after holding the ball too long.

He has no room to criticize anyone. He regressed big time after getting paid.

• Like 6

I'm dissatisfied with his hoop earrings. I'm dissatisfied with his continual regression as a player. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree, Hurts has been exposed by the league. I always thought that Lamar was just a running back, but at least he has a great arm. Hurts is done as a runner, so his game dropped a lot. At this point I would take Prescott in a heartbeat, with proper coaching, I emphasize. Even with great coaching hurts will not be a QB

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 4

11 minutes ago, Equinox said:

Hurts gave the game away with a safety, and a weak alligator-arms block for Gainwell the play prior.

He also throws the ball short constantly, or panic-throws after holding the ball too long.

Got paid and went back to his old ways. Shocked he didn’t have a turnover tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

Headline should surprise nobody. Everyone is dissatisfied with the Eagles playcalling. I'm pretty chill as a fan, but I swear whoever was calling all those empty backfield plays tonight should be fired into the midle of the sun, along with whoever drew up all those screens. That was beyond pathetic. And what's the point in pretending to be an RPO when you never run the ball?

See Siri

There's a reason why he's a 2nd round pick....

But we're stuck with him, for better or worse. At least we should try to get someone who can coach him better.

And I don't see how you fire BJ but keep Siri. That won't solve the problem. 

1 hour ago, Equinox said:

No running game, and instead of short slants Siri is constantly calling for deep throws. What do you think will happen??? High reward = High Risk. Intersections, predictability, loss of confidence in your head coach and play caller. Siri has got to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Equinox said:

The internal promotions haven’t worked. His QB coach isn’t holding him accountable like BJ. BJ is not even close tHe play caller that Steichen was. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well this "report" came from someone "familiar with Hurts thinking."

Who is that?  What does that mean?  Lots of stuff comes out when they lose from "sources."

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

No running game, and instead of short slants Siri is constantly calling for deep throws. What do you think will happen??? High reward = High Risk. Intersections, predictability, loss of confidence in your head coach and play caller. Siri has got to go.

Intersections always piss me off too

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Intersections always piss me off too

Congratulations you get a cookie.I was furious at a stupidity of professional organization, instead of watching my auto spell checker…correct interception to intersections. I am getting burned by the Eagles arrogance. 

This is nice to know.  I'll bet they are equally impressed with his happy feet, poor mechanics, inability to read a defense, and tendency to play hero ball.  The OC and HC may look a little better if he could play the position as designed.  Personally, I think all three of them need to get their crap together. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The OC and HC may look a little better if he could play the position as designed.  Personally, I think all three of them need to get their crap together. 

Here’s where I’m at. Sirianni is responsible for an unimaginative offense that hasn’t changed or developed. BJ is a bad play caller who played his part in a bad offense. Hurts struggled and missed open guys and was not good enough this year. But he’s under contract and so the focus needs to be on trying to fix him. And that may not be possible. He may just not be good enough but he’s going nowhere so they need to try that avenue.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Here’s where I’m at. Sirianni is responsible for an unimaginative offense that hasn’t changed or developed. BJ is a bad play caller who played his part in a bad offense. Hurts struggled and missed open guys and was not good enough this year. But he’s under contract and so the focus needs to be on trying to fix him. And that may not be possible. He may just not be good enough but he’s going nowhere so they need to try that avenue.

I thought Wentz was going nowhere because of his contract, too.  Hurts is who he is.  This is the same happy feet guy that they drafted and pretended they could fix.

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I thought Wentz was going nowhere because of his contract, too.  Hurts is who he is.  This is the same happy feet guy that they drafted and pretended they could fix.

And look you are absolutely right bud. We all thought we were stuck with Wentz and Howie found a way. But they are going to give Hurts a year to try and turn things around. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And look you are absolutely right bud. We all thought we were stuck with Wentz and Howie found a way. But they are going to give Hurts a year to try and turn things around. 

You are probably right, but I still hope some miracle offer comes.  I watched him in college alot and I don't see anything new and have a good idea what another year will look like.  Shows how hard it is to get a quality QB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You are probably right, but I still hope some miracle offer comes.  I watched him in college alot and I don't see anything new and have a good idea what another year will look like.  Shows how hard it is to get a quality QB.

And hypothetically say you do manage to trade him… Given our draft position and the state of the defensive roster who do you replace him with?

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And hypothetically say you do manage to trade him… Given our draft position and the state of the defensive roster who do you replace him with?

We can figure it out when the miracle trade happens...which won't happen.  You just can't invest so much in QBs and get this performance.