Official Coaching Changes: DC Fangio; OC Kellen Moore, Clint Hurtt DL Coach

time2rock

48 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I don't think Howie/Lurie are involved in play calling. That seems to be a WIP type conspiracy.  I think they have guys and styles that they definitely like and influence the hiring. But I very much don't think they are telling the OC to throw more go balls to AJ or anything like that

There were rumors in Sirianni's first year that Lurie desired to have a high flying aerial attack ... wondering if this is just building on that original rumor.  I do wonder how much analytics are swaying some decisions (since Lurie's son Julian runs the analytics).  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I doubt someone with such a lengthy background like Fangio will be told how to run the defense.  If it is true that Sirianni was given the 'Doug directive' of hiring different coordinators I'd have to believe it was just to bring in coaches with a proven track record of success at this level and that they'll be given full autonomy in running those units.  I sure hope that is the case.  

Yeah, and to be fair, we've never heard rumors of them interfering with how the defense should be run.  We'll have a really good idea of who's calling the shots as we've seen Kellen's offenses before, so if he's here and the offense is still the same mess, then something's going on for sure lol.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There were rumors in Sirianni's first year that Lurie desired to have a high flying aerial attack ... wondering if this is just building on that original rumor.  I do wonder how much analytics are swaying some decisions (since Lurie's son Julian runs the analytics).  

Exactly. I mean it's been well documented that Lurie has a love for analytics. It only makes sense for why we abandoned our identity from last season and became the mess we were this year. 

this article is very telling

Paranoia, mismanagement and office politics: Inside the Eagles’ downfall under Jeffrey Lurie, Howie Roseman - The Athletic

• Like 1

Analytics has screwed sport up so badly. Nobody TRAINS anymore, nobody has to put in the work anymore. I would go "old school" over any of this trash they put out. Truth is, old school isn't old- it kicks analytics ass.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Analytics has screwed sport up so badly. Nobody TRAINS anymore, nobody has to put in the work anymore. I would go "old school" over any of this trash they put out. Truth is, old school isn't old- it kicks analytics ass.

The problem honestly isn't necessarily analytics. You'll notice the teams that have issues with it all have something in common. They view it as the solution, rather than simply a tool. All the principles that have applied to football before, still apply now. But when you abandon those things for analytics and use that as your only tool, you're going to get burned, quickly.

It should simply be a new tool in the toolbox, not the tool that runs the show. 

• Like 2

Hire Chad Johnson as WR coach

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

it’s called common sense 

4 hours ago, MF POON said:

Exactly. I mean it's been well documented that Lurie has a love for analytics. It only makes sense for why we abandoned our identity from last season and became the mess we were this year. 

Paranoia, mismanagement and office politics: Inside the Eagles’ downfall under Jeffrey Lurie, Howie Roseman - The Athletic

Kudos on posting that article. It rings pretty true to me.

On 1/30/2024 at 5:24 PM, Procus said:

If the team does well and Moore is in demand for a HC opening elsewhere, do not be surprised to see Siri fired and Moore promoted to become HC

It is obvious. Siri is a placeholder/ bookmark until a new head coach emerges.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Talonblood said:

3 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

The problem honestly isn't necessarily analytics. You'll notice the teams that have issues with it all have something in common. They view it as the solution, rather than simply a tool. All the principles that have applied to football before, still apply now. But when you abandon those things for analytics and use that as your only tool, you're going to get burned, quickly.

Lions-49ers-Football-8-1706539487.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCTANK said:

it’s called common sense 

They don't use analytics. the way it should be used. It's gotten out of control.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Yes, it IS the problem. Why? Because it has gotten people jobs, and it then took on a whole new, twisted form. Analytics got people jobs, then spun out of control. 

25 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Yes, it IS the problem. Why? Because it has gotten people jobs, and it then took on a whole new, twisted form. Analytics got people jobs, then spun out of control. 

That's like if someone blamed the Internet for their lack of ability to study rather than taking responsibility for being unable to maturely handle their own time and resources. The problem is people being stupid, not the actual thing itself. Statistics have existed in almost every facet of our lives for quite some time, and are used maturely in many industries. Incompetence isn't something that you blame on your tools.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

That's like if someone blamed the Internet for their lack of ability to study rather than taking responsibility for being unable to maturely handle their own time and resources. The problem is people being stupid, not the actual thing itself. Statistics have existed in almost every facet of our lives for quite some time, and are used maturely in many industries. Incompetence isn't something that you blame on your tools.

It's misused, plain and simple.

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Yes

10 hours ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Analytics can be helpful for some scenarios ... it is up to whoever is making decisions to either use them or go with gut feeling on what is best in any given situation.  Unfortunately some folks don't have a trusty gut so they rely more heavily on analytics to drive those decisions.  

19 hours ago, MF POON said:

Forgot about that article, good call-out. 

How the Eagles actually run things is quite the mystery.  Whatever they do, it's amazing that they've reached 2 Super Bowls in the last 6 years.  

The one thing that irks me how they treat their HC.  Seems they basically dictate who his staff should be...which is bad enough....but to possibly get into playing time decisions or even play calling?  That would be utterly ridiculous.  They'll never attract any high profile HC candidate with their current model.  

• Like 1

The Eagles analytics department was a key driver in empowering Doug and then Nick to go for it on 4th down a lot more. Changed the league really.  There are definitely good uses of anlytics. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Oh bummer!  Wonder if Renaldo Hill is now back in play.  

18 hours ago, Godfather said:

Julio Jones plz. 

19 hours ago, Godfather said:

You know who I always thought would probably make a decent WR coach?  Jason Avant.  

• Like 2