Official Coaching Changes: DC Fangio; OC Kellen Moore, Clint Hurtt DL Coach

time2rock

Regardless of Sirianni’s eventual fate, it is almost a certainty we’ll be hiring new coordinators for the 2024 season.  So I figured may as well create a thread to track candidate rumors and interviews.

To kickstart this thread, it is being reported we’ve reached out to former Eagles OC (and Colts HC and Panthers HC).  

https://fanrecap.com/article-667051/

Cool, so now the front office is basically admitting that Sirianni's only worth as a coach is to be a figure head for the staff and be propped up by great coordinators. We are heading into drak times for this organization I fear.

• Like 1

Here we go down a long road to try and find coaches to lift up the Eagles figure head. Does anyone really see a truly viable coach coming in here taking orders from a guy they believe they’re better than? No there will be a long drawn out process and some guys will be given the job. Expect more of the same. 

• Like 2

Reich isn't going to be getting any HC job (in the NFL) for the next few years. He's the kind of coach that would find this OC opening (assuming there is one) attractive. He already has a good relationship with the HC, owner and GM and would likely get the keys to the offensive play-calling. If it works out, he would provide stability there for at least a few years before he'd see another HC offer. There's also a good O-line, Smith, Brown, Goedert and Hurts and it's actually quite realistic we keep Swift as well. So any OC coming here should see this as a great chance to repair their reputation as a viable HC in the future --- assuming they are confident in their own ability to design  and call plays and game plans. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Reich isn't going to be getting any HC job (in the NFL) for the next few years. He's the kind of coach that would find this OC opening (assuming there is one) attractive. He already has a good relationship with the HC, owner and GM and would likely get the keys to the offensive play-calling. If it works out, he would provide stability there for at least a few years before he'd see another HC offer. There's also a good O-line, Smith, Brown, Goedert and Hurts and it's actually quite realistic we keep Swift as well. So any OC coming here should see this as a great chance to repair their reputation as a viable HC in the future --- assuming they are confident in their own ability to design  and call plays and game plans. 

Reich is Steichen’s older twin brother.  Very similar skill sets as coordinators.  See the game in the same way.  Can make in game adjustments and great communicators.  I wouldn’t hate it!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Here we go down a long road to try and find coaches to lift up the Eagles figure head. Does anyone really see a truly viable coach coming in here taking orders from a guy they believe they’re better than? No there will be a long drawn out process and some guys will be given the job. Expect more of the same. 

Things are different for OC, and DC. Entire defensive side will be shown the door so a new DC with his own assistants can take over. OC is tricky, because given that we are entering a multi year rebuilding project on defensive side, we need an OC not so much with NFL experience, but someone innovative who may be from college ranks and can help pick later round guys. If we bring Siri back and BJ is still here… we will be taking a big step backwards.. but that is what I think may happen. JL will repeat everything on offense and expect different results.

• Like 1

If sirianni stays hopefully he'll realise that if he Fs up again he's out.

If you has any sense he'll be making a strong case to get experienced and well known co ordinators, like Reich, and most importantly, someone that he can trust improve things.

18 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

If sirianni stays hopefully he'll realise that if he Fs up again he's out.

If you has any sense he'll be making a strong case to get experienced and well known co ordinators, like Reich, and most importantly, someone that he can trust improve things.

He may know that, but who'd work for him that fits that criteria?

Edit: He'd be brain dead not to know it.

There are  decent HC's  or potential HC's available. This FO would be brain dead to bring this clown back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That could happen depending on who the end up hiring.  If so then basically 2024 is a throw away year and we are almost surely going to be looking for a new HC a year from now.  Reich makes sense since he and Sirianni (reportedly) have a strong relationship so there would probably be less chance of dissent.  On defense, regardless of who is hired, Sirianni needs to allow him full control over that unit and run whatever scheme he has a proven track record with (i.e. Sirianni simply cannot dictate what scheme to run).  

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Reich is the best, smoothest transition. He knows the FO, most players, etc, etc, etc. Hire the dude- it will be almost seamless. On the defensive side of the ball? Clean house and get a REAL DC. Show us you learned the lesson here, Lurie and Howie.

• Like 1

Hopefully whenever it does happen we look at Ravens, Texans, Lions, and Packers

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Reich is the best, smoothest transition. He knows the FO, most players, etc, etc, etc. Hire the dude- it will be almost seamless. On the defensive side of the ball? Clean house and get a REAL DC. Show us you learned the lesson here, Lurie and Howie.

Hopefully he has updated his attack after 7 years if he does land here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Things are different for OC, and DC. Entire defensive side will be shown the door so a new DC with his own assistants can take over. OC is tricky, because given that we are entering a multi year rebuilding project on defensive side, we need an OC not so much with NFL experience, but someone innovative who may be from college ranks and can help pick later round guys. If we bring Siri back and BJ is still here… we will be taking a big step backwards.. but that is what I think may happen. JL will repeat everything on offense and expect different results.

I don’t expect this big rebuilding timeframe for the Eagles. In that league the right kind of coaching coupled with some savvy moves by the GM can quickly turn things around. We have witnessed them do this multiple times. The Eagles will never look at themselves as a team on a rebuild. Better coaching and better play from the quarterback and they’re right back to the playoffs. Heck they got crappy coaching and less than stellar quarterback play this year and still made the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Reich returning here being a smooth transition sounds like more of the same crap we already have been witnessing. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

That could happen depending on who the end up hiring.  If so then basically 2024 is a throw away year and we are almost surely going to be looking for a new HC a year from now.  Reich makes sense since he and Sirianni (reportedly) have a strong relationship so there would probably be less chance of dissent.  On defense, regardless of who is hired, Sirianni needs to allow him full control over that unit and run whatever scheme he has a proven track record with (i.e. Sirianni simply cannot dictate what scheme to run).  

Reich didn’t call the plays when he was here. That was Doug, and Reich’s stints as a head coach and play caller haven’t exactly been special and innovative. If Reich comes here and flounders as the play caller, and we know Sirianni can’t call plays what happens then? 

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Reich didn’t call the plays when he was here. That was Doug, and Reich’s stints as a head coach and play caller haven’t exactly been special and innovative. If Reich comes here and flounders as the play caller, and we know Sirianni can’t call plays what happens then? 

image.png.7aa2700205a699af207e261609b6dba6.png

:lol:

Seriously though, Reich was credited for completely changing the offense to cater to Foles' strengths after Wentz went down, so that alone gives me some confidence that he knows what he is doing (and will fare better than BJ).  Plus he actually ran the ball in Indy lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

image.png.7aa2700205a699af207e261609b6dba6.png

:lol:

Seriously though, Reich was credited for completely changing the offense to cater to Foles' strengths after Wentz went down, so that alone gives me some confidence that he knows what he is doing (and will fare better than BJ).  Plus he actually ran the ball in Indy lol

I feel like trying to rekindle something from the past always tends to fail. I don’t recall a lot of moments where coaches or players came back to a place where things worked out great. Going to Reich feels like looking backwards when Sirianni definitely needs to prove he’s capable of moving forward. On a side note let’s say for a moment Reich comes in, revamps the offense, and his innovations get the Eagles back to a deep run in the playoffs. If that’s the case what do we need Sirianni for? 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I feel like trying to rekindle something from the past always tends to fail. I don’t recall a lot of moments where coaches or players came back to a place where things worked out great. Going to Reich feels like looking backwards when Sirianni definitely needs to prove he’s capable of moving forward. On a side note let’s say for a moment Reich comes in, revamps the offense, and his innovations get the Eagles back to a deep run in the playoffs. If that’s the case what do we need Sirianni for? 😂😂😂

Well someone needs to water the flowers!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Reich returning here being a smooth transition sounds like more of the same crap we already have been witnessing. 

What are you talking about? Everyone knows this guy is a good OC.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t expect this big rebuilding timeframe for the Eagles. In that league the right kind of coaching coupled with some savvy moves by the GM can quickly turn things around. We have witnessed them do this multiple times. The Eagles will never look at themselves as a team on a rebuild. Better coaching and better play from the quarterback and they’re right back to the playoffs. Heck they got crappy coaching and less than stellar quarterback play this year and still made the playoffs. 

I think irrelevant of what they do, the Super Bowl window has been closed. If they do decide to rebuild then they can get back to another SB quicker. This means loose all the hired guns, draft well, and let the young guys learn on the job. Thinking that with a regressed QB they can get back to Super Bowl..is not realistic. Will watch Hurts next season! If he doesn’t show immediate offseason improvement…it will be another long season.

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

What are you talking about? Everyone knows this guy is a good OC.

"San Diego Chargersedit

Reich was hired by the San Diego Chargers, along with Whisenhunt, in 2013. When Whisenhunt left to become head coach of the Tennessee Titans, Reich was promoted to offensive coordinator.[17] On January 4, 2016, he was fired from his position as offensive coordinator after the Chargers finished 31st in rushing and struggled on offense.[18]

Reich’s only been an OC twice. Once for the Chargers and once for the Eagles. He did not call plays for the Eagles. How is he a good OC?

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not a coach, but bringing back Nick Foles worked wonders for us in 2017 😁

Reich checks a lot of the boxes and I think he would be a solid choice for OC, although I'm sure the front office will look at other options.

24 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

"San Diego Chargersedit

Reich was hired by the San Diego Chargers, along with Whisenhunt, in 2013. When Whisenhunt left to become head coach of the Tennessee Titans, Reich was promoted to offensive coordinator.[17] On January 4, 2016, he was fired from his position as offensive coordinator after the Chargers finished 31st in rushing and struggled on offense.[18]

Reich’s only been an OC twice. Once for the Chargers and once for the Eagles. He did not call plays for the Eagles. How is he a good OC?

He had scrub players in San Diego. He excelled with good offensive players with the Eagles, an helped Pederson by adding down field plays. Pederson was West Coast dink and dunk, Reich brought in the the vertical game, were, in the playoffs and Super Bowl, Nick Foles used THAT long yard/long gains/vertical game to win it all.