Round 1 #22: Eagles select Quinyon Mitchell, CB Toledo

Traveler Vic

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Our first CB in the 1st round since Lito Sheppard in 2002 and the fact we had our pick of the field, wow!

Pleasantly surprised by Howie tonight, personally thought he would cave and force an OL pick. 

Dream draft for a GM with defensive needs. 2 Top CBs are available. Just pick your flavor. Mitchell is slightly faster. I like the pick. and we did not have to move up. He was supposed to go in the lower teens by most drafts. Great value at 22.

Very happy with the pick. I marginally preferred Arnold but that’s more based on the level he played at. Love that we got arguably the best CB on the board and didn’t even have to trade up to get him.

About time we got a corner 

• Like 2

Regardless of your opinion on individual players (and I do have concerns about the level of competition he faced at the Toledo Rockets) Howie followed the scouting and that's all you can ask, it's a solid pick, you can't argue with 22 for a guy who was consensus 1a corner in the draft and was being mocked as high as 11 or 12. If Mitchell doesn't pan out, it's just one of those things it's not because Howie thought he was smarter than the room. It's the opposite of the Reagor pick.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Falls down the depth chart. Eagles gain nothing dumping him. 

They should try him out at safety.

If Ringo and Mitchell are the future at corner for the Eagles, they have two guys with size and speed. Both guys will get a lot of hands on experience trying to deal with Smith and Brown in practice. Could become a very solid duo of corners within the next few years.

• Like 3

What a solid pick and to be able to stay put and NOT trade draft capital for it is just unreal.  I was leaning towards Arnold but I was fine with either..

Also was glad Dallas took Guyton to keep Howie from doing something crazy today, I really get Dillard vibes from that guy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

What a solid pick and to be able to stay put and NOT trade draft capital for it is just unreal.  I was leaning towards Arnold but I was fine with either..

Also was glad Dallas took Guyton to keep Howie from doing something crazy today, I really get Dillard vibes from that guy. 

We should thank Pittsburgh for taking Troy Fatuanu because I'm pretty sure he would have been the Eagles pick at 22 if he fell, even if all the corners were on the board.

Once Pittsburgh took Fatuanu, there really wasn't a OL/DL prospect left worth taking over Mitchell/Arnold 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Eagleblood52 said:

First…i dont know enough about these players..to really criticize or critique, wether they are worth the pick or not..

but i do have a question regarding this kid and toledo…

why take this kid that apparently was really good for his school over some of these players that play for Alabama or LSU?…seems to me that the cbs playing for bigger schools play against better wrs…

again, before ya’ll think im against this kid, I AM NOT against the pick..from what ive read and heard i hope itll work for him and us.

He’s played against elite talent, namely Ohio State and Notre Dame. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

We should thank Pittsburgh for taking Troy Fatuanu because I'm pretty sure he would have been the Eagles pick at 22 if he fell, even if all the corners were on the board.

Once Pittsburgh took Fatuanu, there really wasn't a OL/DL prospect left worth taking over Mitchell/Arnold 

Definitely...I still didn't breathe easy till the pick because of all the talk of Guyton who I really didn't want...now if we can come away today with LB Colson or WR Polk  OL like Beebe or Zinter ( might be a little early for him but I don't see him making it to 120).... I'd be happy. Still feel he's going to go DL because I think after this season we only have Huff and N. Smith on the EDGE.

Solid pick, hopefully he can ball out, stay healthy, and be a starter for the next many years!!

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

He’s played against elite talent, namely Ohio State and Notre Dame. 

Quinyon Mitchell has never played Ohio State in his life.

I have to trust the talent evaluators who studied his film and watched him play. It seems like he's a very good player but questions will always linger about the talent he played against. 

The Bama Kid would be a safer pick. But I'm just happy we got a CB. I would have been happy with any one of them.

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

If Ringo and Mitchell are the future at corner for the Eagles, they have two guys with size and speed. Both guys will get a lot of hands on experience trying to deal with Smith and Brown in practice. Could become a very solid duo of corners within the next few years.

What about Isaiah Rodgers? Was he outside or inside corner?

1 minute ago, EagleMatt said:

What about Isaiah Rodgers? Was he outside or inside corner?

I thought they could play him inside, but my guess is for now Mitchell and Slay are the outside guys with Rodgers in the middle. We also know how much they love Maddox too so he probably gets used a bunch of different places provided he stays healthy. 

Wow, I'm shocked.  Howie breaks the streak after a 20+ year drought.  Can he shock us even more by taking an LB in the 2nd, or is that too greedy 🤣

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought they could play him inside, but my guess is for now Mitchell and Slay are the outside guys with Rodgers in the middle. We also know how much they love Maddox too so he probably gets used a bunch of different places provided he stays healthy. 

Lets not forget that slot cb eagles got that was a raider, Hall..

Raiders fans really liked him. I like maddox but when it comes to reducing roster, they better pick the overall better guy over loyalty.

Maddox is made of porcelain and wasnt anything special when he returned. I assume he was just rusty.

55 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Sure about that? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yes he has. They showed tape against MHJ - he locked him up

• Like 2

Hmmm. Will Howie move up in the 2nd round and grab Cooper DeJean? For S and giggles. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Falls down the depth chart. Eagles gain nothing dumping him. 

Ive heard they ant to try him in the slot. 

11 hours ago, homerpat said:

Right?  meanwhile we get Jalen in round 2. Good teams pick a qb a few years before they need a qb. bad teams reach constantly

This is exactly why I don't understand why so many people are shocked by Atlanta's pick.  That kid should have probably 2-3 years before he has to start.  See the Packers for how to do this properly.  They did it with Rodgers and they did it with Love.  There's a lot to be said for not throwing a young QB to the wolves and destroying his confidence (see NY Jets).

Back to the point, I am super happy with this pick.  I would have been so disappointed with an OL or DL pick.  Now if we get an LB in round 2, then I'm fine with whatever else they do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

McLaughlin_Wrong.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Regardless of your opinion on individual players (and I do have concerns about the level of competition he faced at the Toledo Rockets) Howie followed the scouting and that's all you can ask, it's a solid pick, you can't argue with 22 for a guy who was consensus 1a corner in the draft and was being mocked as high as 11 or 12. If Mitchell doesn't pan out, it's just one of those things it's not because Howie thought he was smarter than the room. It's the opposite of the Reagor pick.

The bolded, yes. It's been really interesting - and surprisingly positive - to watch Howie's change of philosophy in recent drafts. Sticking to the board, trusting the board they all collectively put together, no reaches. Drafting from better schools, more pro-ready players. He's still aggressive and makes trades but is taking guys that are worth it. Jordan Davis was a gamble, they even admitted that it was a risk/reward type pick. He might just be a JAG and I don't like they gave up 3 extra picks for him. But Smitty, Carter and now Mitchell (assuming he works out) would be 3/4 hits in the 1st round. 

Some people wanted a different corner but it's not typical to see this much consensus, everyone seems to like him.