Round 1 #22: Eagles select Quinyon Mitchell, CB Toledo

Traveler Vic

25 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Sure about that? 

and this was 2 years ago. He’s improved since then 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

This is exactly why I don't understand why so many people are shocked by Atlanta's pick.  That kid should have probably 2-3 years before he has to start.  See the Packers for how to do this properly.  They did it with Rodgers and they did it with Love.  There's a lot to be said for not throwing a young QB to the wolves and destroying his confidence (see NY Jets).

Back to the point, I am super happy with this pick.  I would have been so disappointed with an OL or DL pick.  Now if we get an LB in round 2, then I'm fine with whatever else they do.

I think the complaint is using pick 8. I actually agree and think they’re planning ahead. Cousins only on 2 year deal despite contract length. 

4 minutes ago, Gannan said:

McLaughlin_Wrong.gif

16 minutes ago, leftcoastnest said:

Yes he has. They showed tape against MHJ - he locked him up

Turns out I am wrong, my bad, although I would offer in my defense ESPN has absolutely no record of the game in his game logs.

I would say it's probably best not to look at the result of that game and his stat line if you do have concerns about the level of competition he faced.

10 hours ago, Peacekeeper said:

If you watched his pre draft videos this guy is all business and focused on achieving huge goals 

Some people jump and flop around after being drafted.. others know the journey is just beginning and focused on being the best player in the league, they’ll celebrate when they accomplish that 

He carried himself like a professional, and people got upset over that? If anyone is upset that he acted like a pro, go watch the video of him celebrating with the fans after that, and you will be ok.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

He carried himself like a professional, and people got upset over that? If anyone is upset that he acted like a pro, go watch the video of him celebrating with the fans after that, and you will be ok.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

This is exactly why I don't understand why so many people are shocked by Atlanta's pick.  That kid should have probably 2-3 years before he has to start.  See the Packers for how to do this properly.  They did it with Rodgers and they did it with Love.  There's a lot to be said for not throwing a young QB to the wolves and destroying his confidence (see NY Jets).

Back to the point, I am super happy with this pick.  I would have been so disappointed with an OL or DL pick.  Now if we get an LB in round 2, then I'm fine with whatever else they do.

Yes but Penix is 24 ... Love and Rodgers were 21/22... it was by all accounts a horrible pick.

Bill addressed him coming from Toledo and not playing against better competition:

27 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

Yes but Penix is 24 ... Love and Rodgers were 21/22... it was by all accounts a horrible pick.

So he'll be 26 when he takes over and still have 10+ years to play.  Atlanta is good at QB for the next 12+ years probably.

2 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

What about Isaiah Rodgers? Was he outside or inside corner?

He is an outside corner

I don't watch any college football so most of these guys are just names and positions when I see them pop up. Corner is one of the harder positions to play as a rookie and having Slay to learn off will be amazing for Mitchell. It will take him some time to adjust coming from a smaller school and going up against NFL calibre players. I'm excited to see what he does early and maybe he ends up taking snaps in the slot if he is super athletic. 

13 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Is he unhappy Philly drafted him or just a very intense person? Hopefully, the latter. 

Looks like he’s pretty happy to me 

56B0C527-3CFD-4E8D-A982-304111CB0A81.thumb.jpeg.a346d15e15bff553a040f1ad1573dd01.jpeg

Did I also hear correctly that Siri is close friends with the Toledo HC? I'm guessing that's another reason they picked him with the recommendation coming from his college HC

7 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Looks like he’s pretty happy to me 

56B0C527-3CFD-4E8D-A982-304111CB0A81.thumb.jpeg.a346d15e15bff553a040f1ad1573dd01.jpeg

Looks like buddy trying to snatch his bracelet...

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Portyansky said:

For the love of God, please please please live up to your hype/potential. 

First thought to this post, Sidney Jones... :ph34r: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Lets not forget that slot cb eagles got that was a raider, Hall..

Raiders fans really liked him. I like maddox but when it comes to reducing roster, they better pick the overall better guy over loyalty.

Maddox is made of porcelain and wasnt anything special when he returned. I assume he was just rusty.

I think we have a lot of versatility on some of these backup defensive backs. I’d much rather see a guy like Maddox used sparingly than being forced to play every down, because we know he can’t do it.

This guy looks very good.  A blessing.  We needed him pretty badly.

1 hour ago, rrfierce said:

Do we think he'll be a starter straight away?

I’d say he should start over Bradbury, but going into camp he probably shows as a backup. I think this kid is going to develop tremendously having to battle Brown and Smith week after week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

First thought to this post, Sidney Jones... :ph34r: 

Sorta. SJ was coming off an injury and we took a risk. Everything about Mitchell is golden

1 minute ago, Portyansky said:

Sorta. SJ was coming off an injury and we took a risk. Everything about Mitchell is golden

Yeah, no comparison between the players. Just to the 'live up to his potential' part. 

14 hours ago, metal said:

Bye Bradberry

I wanted him gone after that holding penalty in Super Bowl.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

Meh, pocket passers can play into their late 30s. I don't know how anyone can call it a bad pick at the moment. If the guy ends up being a good NFL QB it will have been a good pick. If he sucks, it'll have been a bad pick. 

Like others, I don't really get the uproar/controversy around the pick. Cousins is 35 and coming off an achilles tear, why not pick a QB if there's one you like at that spot? If Cousins plays well over the next couple of years, they won't be in position to draft a top prospect because they'll be picking toward the end of the first round. If he completely sucks this year, they have his successor already on the roster.