Round 1 #22: Eagles select Quinyon Mitchell, CB Toledo

Traveler Vic

9 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Meh, pocket passers can play into their late 30s. I don't know how anyone can call it a bad pick at the moment. If the guy ends up being a good NFL QB it will have been a good pick. If he sucks, it'll have been a bad pick. 

Like others, I don't really get the uproar/controversy around the pick. Cousins is 35 and coming off an achilles tear, why not pick a QB if there's one you like at that spot?

Everyone knows that you can only draft your backup QB in round 2 or lower.

38 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Meh, pocket passers can play into their late 30s. I don't know how anyone can call it a bad pick at the moment. If the guy ends up being a good NFL QB it will have been a good pick. If he sucks, it'll have been a bad pick. 

Like others, I don't really get the uproar/controversy around the pick. Cousins is 35 and coming off an achilles tear, why not pick a QB if there's one you like at that spot? If Cousins plays well over the next couple of years, they won't be in position to draft a top prospect because they'll be picking toward the end of the first round. If he completely sucks this year, they have his successor already on the roster. 

It's a mess the Falcons made for themselves, but if Cousins' deal is a de facto two years, rather than the four that's inked, it may make sense. Still, the Guardian newspaper in the UK ran a whole piece about Counsins' reaction, which is pretty much unheard of for the outlet's level of NFL coverage https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/26/kirk-cousins-atlanta-falcons-nfl-draft-michael-penix

2 hours ago, Mat said:

Did I also hear correctly that Siri is close friends with the Toledo HC? I'm guessing that's another reason they picked him with the recommendation coming from his college HC

Yes.

In this phone call clip, Siri says his friends were telling him about Mitchell for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Looks like buddy trying to snatch his bracelet...

LOL.

And that Lions fans is grabbing...? 👀

2 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Do we think he'll be a starter straight away?

These coaches don't typically start rookies, they rotate them in. But it's a possibility. 

Belichick and others noted that at a smaller school they're not taught a lot of techniques and rely on athletic ability. He will have to learn new schemes and techniques more than a "pro-ready" school prospect, but they said with the teaching and coaching he will develop into a great player.

Good thing we have a reputable Defensive Coordinator at least. I would love to see quality rookies start if they win the job though. Get them right in and gain experience.

2 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

So he'll be 26 when he takes over and still have 10+ years to play.  Atlanta is good at QB for the next 12+ years probably.

yeah... he will be the next  Tyrod Taylor so there's that.  I'm glad they made the stupid pick...it helped us get what we all wanted and needed

without having to move up. 

If belichick likes him it's a good sign he has always been pretty good at drafting cbs 

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

These coaches don't typically start rookies, they rotate them in. But it's a possibility. 

Belichick and others noted that at a smaller school they're not taught a lot of techniques and rely on athletic ability. He will have to learn new schemes and techniques more than a "pro-ready" school prospect, but they said with the teaching and coaching he will develop into a great player.

Good thing we have a reputable Defensive Coordinator at least. I would love to see quality rookies start if they win the job though. Get them right in and gain experience.

He can learn from slay too so that helps

• Like 1

Damn, I just realized that the Clemson DB was there to draft as well. Hmmmph.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Yep. And even without marquee techniques he managed to develop into someone who randomly came on and clamped up the Senior Bowl prospects. Kinda wild.

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He can learn from slay too so that helps

This is really important because if you didn't notice, they have very similar body types and athletic profiles. I actually don't think that's a coincidence.

image.png.bdfc6fae6734bbd1feac6ee53f1c46c4.png
Some of the spider-chart guys noticed it too in the comparisons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

So he'll be 26 when he takes over and still have 10+ years to play.  Atlanta is good at QB for the next 12+ years probably.

Yeah, but are they trying to win now or 5 years from now. You can’t do both at the QB position. I think they should’ve drafted Rome Odunze instead. That’s a win now pick and a win in 5 years pick. 

2 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

It's a mess the Falcons made for themselves, but if Cousins' deal is a de facto two years, rather than the four that's inked, it may make sense. Still, the Guardian newspaper in the UK ran a whole piece about Counsins' reaction, which is pretty much unheard of for the outlet's level of NFL coverage https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/26/kirk-cousins-atlanta-falcons-nfl-draft-michael-penix

I don’t get the move at all. I mean I think Penix but be pretty good but unless Coupons gets hurt he’s going to sit for like 2 years… 

8 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Yeah, but are they trying to win now or 5 years from now. You can’t do both at the QB position. I think they should’ve drafted Rome Odunze instead. That’s a win now pick and a win in 5 years pick. 

They brought Cousins in to win now and Penix is to win for the next 10+ years. It’s a smart pick. They will win the division this year and not be in position to draft a qb next year, which is an average qb class anyway. So if they had waited, who would they be picking next year that’s better than Penix?  Nobody. 

Just now, Dweedlebug said:

They brought Cousins in to win now and Penix is to win for the next 10+ years. It’s a smart pick. They will win the division this year and not be in position to draft a qb next year, which is an average qb class anyway. So if they had waited, who would they be picking next year that’s better than Penix?  Nobody. 

I guess… But that GM had to be very confident he’s going to get that time.

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don’t get the move at all. I mean I think Penix but be pretty good but unless Coupons gets hurt he’s going to sit for like 2 years… 

So?  How many years did Rodgers sit?  How many years did Love sit?  Again, if they pick someone else, who are they drafting at qb next year in the later part of the first round that’s going to be better than Penix?  They’re going to win the division, so they’re not picking in the top 10 again.  Cousins is 35 coming off Achilles surgery. Will he even finish this year?  If he doesn’t, then who’s playing if they don’t take Penix?

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's exactly the point. Bring a guy in, let him sit and learn. Don't throw him into a lion's den before he's had five minutes. Coach the guy up. Let him brew. How many excellent QBs get drafted early in terrible situations, then get considered as a bust because they can't turn water into wine or raise the dead?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

Yeah, but Penix isn’t a sure thing. Odunze is a million times better prospect.

Atlanta went half way in for next year. They should’ve gone all in. 

3 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Yeah, but Penix isn’t a sure thing. Odunze is a million times better prospect.

Atlanta went half way in for next year. They should’ve gone all in. 

Let’s say they did that and win the division and maybe win the wild card round. They’re picking in the bottom 10 of the first round next year?  Who they picking for qb at like 20 in an average qb class that’s going to be better than Penix?  They’re not winning the superbowl this year regardless, so why not get the better qb now instead of next year?

9 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

Let’s say they did that and win the division and maybe win the wild card round. They’re picking in the bottom 10 of the first round next year?  Who they picking for qb at like 20 in an average qb class that’s going to be better than Penix?  They’re not winning the superbowl this year regardless, so why not get the better qb now instead of next year?

Why are you acting like Penix is the next Patrick Mahomes? You can find a franchise QB in any round (Brady, Montana, Hurts, L.Jackson (end of 1st), Dak, Romo, Cousins, etc.) 

I don't follow college football at all. What's the general feeling on this player? I've read a couple of things, but not a lot. Seems to be highly thought of.

34 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't follow college football at all. What's the general feeling on this player? I've read a couple of things, but not a lot. Seems to be highly thought of.

I don't follow college either. What I've gathered:

• Overwhelming majority of Eagles fans like the pick
  • He's aggressive, fast and has strong work ethic
  • Forces turnovers, gets interceptions
  • Criticism: was at a small school, didn't face tougher competition as much as if he played elsewhere
  • He did play against Harrison Jr. vs Ohio State and played well (Harrison still had a good game)
  • He impressed at the combine and at the Senior Bowl where he did play against the top WRs and looked great
  • Belichick, Baldy, RGIII and others who analyze the draft like him. Saban wanted him in the portal to go to AL. He's received high praise
  • Siri is friends with Toledo's coach so he heard about him for 3 years and knew a lot about him, the Eagles really liked him and were surprised he dropped to them at 22
  • Belichick noted smaller schools don't always teach all the pro techniques and schemes, so he will have to learn and be coached up but that he's a great prospect and should do well
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eagles trade up in 2nd Round.

could it be Cooper DeJean?