Round 1 #22: Eagles select Quinyon Mitchell, CB Toledo

Traveler Vic

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Why are you acting like Penix is the next Patrick Mahomes? You can find a franchise QB in any round (Brady, Montana, Hurts, L.Jackson (end of 1st), Dak, Romo, Cousins, etc.) 

Yeah, happens all the time…

I'd like to thank the Falcons for taking Penix in the top 10 allowing the Eagles to get two of the top DB's in the draft with the first two picks. Two first round talents. Magical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2024 at 10:59 PM, homerpat said:

Right?  meanwhile we get Jalen in round 2. Good teams pick a qb a few years before they need a qb. bad teams reach constantly

And after Carson's meltdown in Philly, we managed to get a mid-1st for him after Jalen took over.  

This looks like it was an excellent pick. 

16 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

I'd like to thank the Falcons for taking Penix in the top 10 allowing the Eagles to get two of the top DB's in the draft with the first two picks. Two first round talents. Magical. 

In fairness I would have taken Penix over Caleb Williams.  Given all the knocks I thought he'd fall to late first (to where a team would trade back into Round 1 to get him) but this he went where he should have. 

This was a nice pick and they didn’t have to give up anything to get him.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 3:03 PM, NOTW said:

I don't follow college either. What I've gathered:

• Overwhelming majority of Eagles fans like the pick
  • He's aggressive, fast and has strong work ethic
  • Forces turnovers, gets interceptions
  • Criticism: was at a small school, didn't face tougher competition as much as if he played elsewhere
  • He did play against Harrison Jr. vs Ohio State and played well (Harrison still had a good game)
  • He impressed at the combine and at the Senior Bowl where he did play against the top WRs and looked great
  • Belichick, Baldy, RGIII and others who analyze the draft like him. Saban wanted him in the portal to go to AL. He's received high praise
  • Siri is friends with Toledo's coach so he heard about him for 3 years and knew a lot about him, the Eagles really liked him and were surprised he dropped to them at 22
  • Belichick noted smaller schools don't always teach all the pro techniques and schemes, so he will have to learn and be coached up but that he's a great prospect and should do well

Kid is loyal.  Nick Saban admitted that Alabama tampered with him trying to get him to transfer to Alabama. Saban said he would have been there #1 target in the transfer portal.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Knik Eagle said:

Kid is loyal.  Nick Saban admitted that Alabama tampered with him trying to get him to transfer to Alabama. Saban said he would have been there #1 target in the transfer portal.  

Yeah he showed loyalty to Toledo because they gave him the opportunity in the first place. I like that and have huge respect for that as that shows huge character. 

• Like 2

I like the Mitchell pick. But I’ll admit I was surprised they chose him over Arnold.

I initially had Reagor/Jefferson vibes…picking the small school guy over the big school guy. I know it’s a different situation, I just hope Mitchell hits his ceiling.

It’s gonna be interesting to see how he does in the NFL compared to Arnold.

12 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

I like the Mitchell pick. But I’ll admit I was surprised they chose him over Arnold.

I initially had Reagor/Jefferson vibes…picking the small school guy over the big school guy. I know it’s a different situation, I just hope Mitchell hits his ceiling.

It’s gonna be interesting to see how he does in the NFL compared to Arnold.

I had the same initial reaction, but read through the thread and you should feel much better. Apparently because of academic issues, Toledo was the only D1 school that offered him a scholarship. He decided to stay with them out of loyalty even though he could have transferred to basically his pick of the powerhouse schools. Then he went to the Senior Bowl and dominated elite level competition.  

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 7:21 PM, Kz! said:

I had the same initial reaction, but read through the thread and you should feel much better. Apparently because of academic issues, Toledo was the only D1 school that offered him a scholarship. He decided to stay with them out of loyalty even though he could have transferred to basically his pick of the powerhouse schools. Then he went to the Senior Bowl and dominated elite level competition.  

For all the talk portraying Mitchell’s decision to stay at Toledo as being loyal, what if his true reasoning was that he didn’t want to face better competition and potentially hurt his draft stock?  

Obviously he would never admit that, but that is a completely viable possibility.  Not trying to be down on him, but the level of competition question is legit.  The Senior Bowl doesn’t change that.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

For all the talk portraying Mitchell’s decision to stay at Toledo as being loyal, what if his true reasoning was that he didn’t want to face better competition and potentially hurt his draft stock?  

Why would he participate in the Senior Bowl then?

There are guys every year that dominate against weak opponents and they very rarely get drafted in the first round. So it wouldn't really make much sense if your goal was to prevent hurting your draft stock. We're dealing with professional scouts. Competition is like the first thing they notice. It would be like putting electrical tape over your check engine light before taking your car in for a smog check. That is the first thing they will notice.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Obviously he would never admit that, but that is a completely viable possibility.  Not trying to be down on him, but the level of competition question is legit.  The Senior Bowl doesn’t change that.

Bottom answer shows that it's common for a top CB to come from a smaller school

• Like 3

14 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Saban wanted him in the portal to go to Alabama. 

We should be celebrating loyalty, not finding a negative spin in speculation. 

Siri is a longtime friend with his college coach and heard all about him. The scouts, coaches & GMs did their diligence & research. They evaluate every aspect of these players. They had their pick of any corner and chose him. I'm sure they aren't speculating that maybe he's a liar and a coward...but let's draft him anyway. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Saban wanted him in the portal to go to Alabama. 

We should be celebrating loyalty, not finding a negative spin in speculation. 

Siri is a longtime friend with his college coach and heard all about him. The scouts, coaches & GMs did their diligence & research. They evaluate every aspect of these players. They had their pick of any corner and chose him. I'm sure they aren't speculating that maybe he's a liar and a coward...but let's draft him anyway. :lol:

Not trying to find a negative spin, just simply asking a question because it’s a legit alternate way of looking at his decision to stay at Toledo.

Loyalty is a great characteristic. But the NFL is built upon the best of the best, and the best players want to play against the best to prove themselves. 

I’m sure there have been many players who wanted to maximize their college career and pre-draft process to get selected as high as they could and get that initial money.  Then when reality hits by playing against the best of the best and they can’t cut it, they will have already made as much money as they could have.  

Mitchell very well could be being 100% honest and his "loyalty” is why he stayed.  And in reality, that’s what we all have to go on.  That said, It’s also possible that he had some hesitation about transferring out and facing better competition and masked it by saying he wanted to remain loyal. 

20 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Not trying to find a negative spin, just simply asking a question because it’s a legit alternate way of looking at his decision to stay at Toledo.

Loyalty is a great characteristic. But the NFL is built upon the best of the best, and the best players want to play against the best to prove themselves. 

I’m sure there have been many players who wanted to maximize their college career and pre-draft process to get selected as high as they could and get that initial money.  Then when reality hits by playing against the best of the best and they can’t cut it, they will have already made as much money as they could have.  

Mitchell very well could be being 100% honest and his "loyalty” is why he stayed.  And in reality, that’s what we all have to go on.  That said, It’s also possible that he had some hesitation about transferring out and facing better competition and masked it by saying he wanted to remain loyal. 

10 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Bottom answer shows that it's common for a top CB to come from a smaller school

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 10:10 PM, NOTW said:

Literally the only one of those guys drafted round 1 was Sauce and he was unanimously a top 10 pick

Sneed round 4

Johnson round 2

Kenny Moore round 5

Ward UDFA

Williams UDFA

taron johnson round 4

So either he was a reach because we could've drafted other small-school CBs or even waited until after to get a stud UDFA

Also, you can play that game with literally any position in football, it's called cherry picking stats. This literally proves the opposite of what it's suppose to...

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

Literally the only one of those guys drafted round 1 was Sauce and he was unanimously a top 10 pick

Sneed round 4

Johnson round 2

Kenny Moore round 5

Ward UDFA

Williams UDFA

taron johnson round 4

So either he was a reach because we could've drafted other small-school CBs or even waited until after to get a stud UDFA

Also, you can play that game with literally any position in football, it's called cherry picking stats. This literally proves the opposite of what it's suppose to...

But we couldn't have drafted Mitchell in one of the later rounds because he was universally considered a first round pick and was a consensus top 3 corner available. The post was just showing that many of the league's best corners came from small schools so there's no reason to believe that Mitchell can't excel at the pro level because he went to Toledo.

31 minutes ago, Kz! said:

But we couldn't have drafted Mitchell in one of the later rounds because he was universally considered a first round pick and was a consensus top 3 corner available. The post was just showing that many of the league's best corners came from small schools so there's no reason to believe that Mitchell can't excel at the pro level because he went to Toledo.

yeah but if you look at the reverse of that data.....the players that didn't work out...

that's nearly equivalent to landing Tom Brady, Romo, etc 

I get the hype but only time will telll

• Confused 1

The Eagles didn't set out to draft a small school prospect. They drafted a player that went to a small school. This whole notion that they could have just waited until later in the draft to pick a different CB prospect from a small school is silly. They drafted the prospect they felt was the top one at the position available in the draft. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The Eagles didn't set out to draft a small school prospect. They drafted a player that went to a small school. This whole notion that they could have just waited until later in the draft to pick a different CB prospect from a small school is silly. They drafted the prospect they felt was the top one at the position available in the draft. 

Yup.  Most draft sites rated him as their top CB, over Arnold, Wiggins and prospects from the other "bigger" schools.  

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

they did the same with Reagor and? 

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yup.  Most draft sites rated him as their top CB, over Arnold, Wiggins and prospects from the other "bigger" schools.  

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024?pos=CB

This is a compilation of over 400 mocks and the overall consensus was arnold, mitchell, dejean

Don't have to fabricate stats to justify it because the Eagles picked him...

On 4/26/2024 at 2:47 PM, NOTW said:

These coaches don't typically start rookies, they rotate them in. But it's a possibility. 

Belichick and others noted that at a smaller school they're not taught a lot of techniques and rely on athletic ability. He will have to learn new schemes and techniques more than a "pro-ready" school prospect, but they said with the teaching and coaching he will develop into a great player.

Good thing we have a reputable Defensive Coordinator at least. I would love to see quality rookies start if they win the job though. Get them right in and gain experience.

I guess it depends on the quality of the vets competing with the rookie. The concern I'd have about starting a rookie to "gain experience" is you hope that experience doesn't come at the cost of too many yards/points against the Eagles. If the powers that be feel the rookie is the best choice then so be it.

25 minutes ago, RunItBAck said:

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2024/consensus-big-board-2024?pos=CB

This is a compilation of over 400 mocks and the overall consensus was arnold, mitchell, dejean

Don't have to fabricate stats to justify it because the Eagles picked him...

Fabricate stats???  FO with that nonsense.