Doug cleared and back to work - after COVID-19

Wallyhorse

11 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

You realize people can possibly get it more than once. They aren't sure, but the antibodies may only last a month or two.

Please read the article I posted.

25 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Please read the article I posted.

And? All that means is they tested him twice. How does that relate to the statement that it is good he is getting it now? He could get it again in a few weeks or months.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

And? All that means is they tested him twice. How does that relate to the statement that it is good he is getting it now? He could get it again in a few weeks or months.

Please read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/health/covid-antibodies-herd-immunity.html

"Dr. Mina had choice words for the physicians who caused the panic over reports of reinfections. "This is so bad, people have lost their minds,” he said. "It’s just sensationalist click bait.”

"In the early weeks of the pandemic, some people in China, Japan and South Korea tested positive twice, sparking similar fears.

South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigated 285 of those cases, and found that several of the second positives came two months after the first, and in one case 82 days later. Nearly half of the people had symptom at the second test. But the researchers were unable to grow live virus from any of the samples, and the infected people hadn’t spread the virus to others.

"It was pretty solid epidemiological and virological evidence that reinfection was not happening, at least in those people,” said Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Columbia University in New York.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

You realize people can possibly get it more than once. They aren't sure, but the antibodies may only last a month or two.

I don’t think the antibodies being undetectable means anything. I read smallpox antibodies are undetectable in some people years after the vaccine but you are still immune to smallpox for life. 

10 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I don’t think the antibodies being undetectable means anything. I read smallpox antibodies are undetectable in some people years after the vaccine but you are still immune to smallpox for life. 

From the article:

"Antibodies are not the only form of protection against pathogens. The coronavirus also provokes a vigorous defense from immune cells that can kill the virus and quickly rouse reinforcements for future battles. Less is known about how long these so-called memory T cells persist — those that recognize other coronaviruses may linger for life — but they can buttress defenses against the new coronavirus.

"The first cells that secrete antibodies during an infection are called plasmablasts, which expand exponentially into a pool of millions. But the body can’t sustain those levels. Once the infection wanes, a small fraction of the cells enters the bone marrow and sets up shop to create long-term immunity memory, which can churn out antibodies when they’re needed again. The rest of the plasmablasts wither and die."

• Thanks 2

See this is all part of the issue here. Coaches are going to test positive, players are going to test positive. What if they test positive the week of a game, its ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See this is all part of the issue here. Coaches are going to test positive, players are going to test positive. What if they test positive the week of a game, its ridiculous. 

Then they will be quarantined until they test negative twice, the goal is to keep it limited

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Then they will be quarantined until they test negative twice, the goal is to keep it limited

I know but you can't prepare properly for games with this constant unknown. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know but you can't prepare properly for games with this constant unknown. 

You follow the protocols  and if someone is removed then the next player steps in, just like an injury or if a coach has to leave for an emergency, the idea like I said is to limit the cases. It is really easy to spot the people that watch the news channels, the mask deniers and the virus is  hoax people watch Fox and that kind and the ones who think the end of the world is here watch CNN and those channels 

1 minute ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

You follow the protocols  and if someone is removed then the next player steps in, just like an injury or if a coach has to leave for an emergency, the idea like I said is to limit the cases.

Its going to lead to a mess of a season. If you lose your star player or star QB a couple of days before a key game. It'll lead to a joke of a season with players in and out. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Its going to lead to a mess of a season. If you lose your star player or star QB a couple of days before a key game. It'll lead to a joke of a season with players in and out. 

Have seasons stopped because the star QB gets hurt during the first play of a game? is that a joke? no, some teams have tons of injuries and the season goes on. In the NFl players are in and out all the time. This is a another layer of risk but will not stop the league. There is too much money involved and will cause big problems for next year.

1 minute ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Have seasons stopped because the star QB gets hurt during the first play of a game? is that a joke? no, some teams have tons of injuries and the season goes on

Injuries are very different. This is going to be an every week issue, key players can contract this disease at any given moment. They may even be able to contract it more than once. This is very very different to injuries so don't try to compare it. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Injuries are very different. This is going to be an every week issue, key players can contract this disease at any given moment. They may even be able to contract it more than once. This is very very different to injuries so don't try to compare it. 

You can get injured at any moment, can't get it twice, at least so far there is no evidence of  that, please read the following

2 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

You can get injured at any moment, can't get it twice, at least so far there is no evidence of  that, please read the following

There's no proof you can't get it twice. In fact it has been reported here in the UK that you can get it twice. 

This is very very different to injuries so stop trying to compare. 

• Like 3

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's no proof you can't get it twice. In fact it has been reported here in the UK that you can get it twice. 

This is very very different to injuries so stop trying to compare. 

I don't care what is reported, there are zero cases of reinfection, zero, please read the article, I am done with this waste of my time, believe what you want it does not change the facts.

From the BBC

"

Have people caught it twice?

There were early reports of people appearing to have multiple coronavirus infections in a short space of time.

But the scientific consensus is that testing was the issue, with patients being incorrectly told they were free of the virus.

Nobody has been deliberately reinfected with the virus to test immunity, but a pair of rhesus macaque monkeys have.

They were infected twice, once to build up an immune response and then a second time three weeks later. Those very limited experiments showed they did not develop symptoms again after such a quick reinfection.

3 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

I don't care what is reported, there are zero cases of reinfection, zero, please read the article, I am done with this waste of my time, believe what you want it does not change the facts.

The "facts" sure sure. That's fine, I can't be bothered to argue with narrow minded individuals who try to compare COVID with injuries. Have a nice day now. 

• Like 2

The "facts" sure sure. That's fine, I can't be bothered to argue with narrow minded individuals who try to compare COVID with injuries. Have a nice day now. 

Yeah fact pal, something you don't have a grasp of

But as this virus changes and morphs... which it does and will because that's what they do. 

The good news is that a vaccine will most likely work against variants with this mutation, according to the Scripps researchers.

In fact, the slow and mild nature of the mutations is good news for a vaccine.

"The virus is still so similar now to the initial sequence that there isn’t really much reason to think the differences will matter in terms of vaccine,” Neuman said.

The new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 has already mutated a handful of times, which has many people wondering whether the mutations could lead to a more severe, deadlier disease.

According to experts, the new mutations are extremely similar to the original virus that appeared in Wuhan, China, and don’t seem to be any more aggressive.

Because the mutations are so similar, a vaccine would likely protect people against not only the original strain but new mutations as well.

24 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Yeah fact pal, something you don't have a grasp of

Well you like to compare a deadly worldwide virus and pandemic with injuries so... Any how tata old chap. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well you like to compare a deadly worldwide virus and pandemic with injuries so... Any how tata old chap. 

I took his comparison to mean "next man up" was going to be part of this season in a big way....not that the illness was equivalent to a high ankle sprain or concussion or broken leg....however, all of those would be "next man up" scenarios this year.

They aren't getting the season in anyway, so it won't really matter.