Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

Losing raffl sucks but farabee is good.  He was playing well and developing a little bit of grit.  Should be fine.  

On 8/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, hputenis said:

Never thought 1 year ago that I'd be saying the Flyers are the best team in town.  But that seems to be the case!  

It's been that way since AV was hired. It's really been the case for almost 2 years but unfortunately we had hakstol holding them back for so long. I think I was saying this a year ago :lol:

23 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pronger.   Not 2nd beat defenseman in team history but your criteria was who has been in the organization.   

I recorded the game and watched tonight.  Laughton and Raffl were great.  Provorov had a terrible shift while we were on the PP in the 2nd.  He has lapses of some really bad play at times.   Giroux was quiet.   Didn’t seem like Boston was in it mentally.  Not sure you wanna cruise through these round robin games and hope to flip the switch against a team who just played a playoff series.   So it’s encouraging the Flyers energy looked good in the 2nd and 3rd.  1st period they were a mess.  

Provorov's biggest issue is on the PP, but one bad PP shift out of almost 25 minutes is fine with me. He absolutely needs to get better on the PP though. Once he does, it's gonna be really hard to keep him out of the discussion for a top 15 d man (possibly even top 10 but it would be harder), at age 23. I would argue top 15 as he currently stands.

His contract is going to look like highway robbery by the flyers over the next few years 

2 hours ago, DBW said:

4p Thursday for those who arent  watching all 16 hours of hockey every day.  😆 

Of course the playoffs started right when I went back to work, so unfortunately I am unable to otherwise I would be watching all 16 hours lol

Thats 1 PM for me so I'll probably miss most of the game <_<

5 hours ago, DBW said:

It’s like the ncaa tournament. There’s hockey on at all hours. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s like the ncaa tournament. There’s hockey on at all hours. 

I love it!  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DBW said:

That’s good for me, 10pm start my time. 

46 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Amazing he is almost back after his treatments. 

And meanwhile, we never hear a peep about Nolan Patrick.

57 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I feel every time the Flyers get the no. 2 pick we wind up getting the player who just never lives up to his billing here. JVR became what we hoped when he went to Toronto. Patrick who i had high hopes for kind of feels like he could follow in those footsteps 

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

lol I forgot about him

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

JVR is just a guy.  Never liked him.  Don’t like how he talks.  Sounds like a turd 

They'd have won a cup if it wasn't for a freaking ping pong ball

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

My prediction is Patrick won’t ever play again.  

9 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

JVR is just a guy.  Never liked him.  Don’t like how he talks.  Sounds like a turd 

Good thing he’ll be a rain pigeon next year.  

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What’s a rain pigeon?   Might I ask.  

Referring to Seattle expansion draft where they'll take either ghost or voracek

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We were talking about JVR.   And they can take Ghost for all I care.  

Yea they aren't taking JVR if voracek and ghost are available, and they should be 

11 minutes ago, devpool said:

Yea they aren't taking JVR if voracek and ghost are available, and they should be 

I think they will protect jake.  The other forwards more likely to be available are 

Nolan Patrick; James van Riemsdyk; Scott Laughton; Tyler Pitlick; and Oskar Lindblom. 

Only van Riemsdyk and lindblom are currently signed through the 2021-22 season, so before the Flyers even face this decision, they must choose whether they want to re-sign these other forwards.

on defense they’ll protect Provorov and sanheim for sure and the 3rd would be a choice of  Shayne Gostisbehere, and assuming they all get re-signed, Matt Niskanen; Philippe Myers; and Robert Hagg.

the 3rd in all likelihood in that scenario would be niskanen or Myers.  Ghost will almost definitely be exposed.  Nobody is taking hagg so he’ll be back, assuming he resigns and he probably will.  

2 hours ago, DBW said:

I think they will protect jake.  The other forwards more likely to be available are 

Nolan Patrick; James van Riemsdyk; Scott Laughton; Tyler Pitlick; and Oskar Lindblom. 

Only van Riemsdyk and lindblom are currently signed through the 2021-22 season, so before the Flyers even face this decision, they must choose whether they want to re-sign these other forwards.

on defense they’ll protect Provorov and sanheim for sure and the 3rd would be a choice of  Shayne Gostisbehere, and assuming they all get re-signed, Matt Niskanen; Philippe Myers; and Robert Hagg.

the 3rd in all likelihood in that scenario would be niskanen or Myers.  Ghost will almost definitely be exposed.  Nobody is taking hagg so he’ll be back, assuming he resigns and he probably will.  

I highly, HIGHLY doubt they are exposing Patrick and lindblom. Voracek is very likely going to be exposed. An aging forward with a huge contract and there are a ton of promising young forwards in the system right now.

Provorov sanheim and myers are all getting protected, there is almost zero chance that there's even a discussion about this at the organization. 

Your protected players are likely going to look something like this:

F(7): G, Coots, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Frost, Farabee 

D(3): Provorov, Sanheim, Myers

G(1): Hart

Flyers will likely go the 7F 3D 1G route vice the 8 skaters 1 G route as the latter exposes too many young forwards to the draft and they really only have the big 3 D right now who really need protection (Provy, Sanheim, Myers). 

Farabee and frost likely will not be exempt by the time of that draft (they only need 40 games played in the pervious season or 70 across past 2 seasons) so they round out the last two forward slots.

The big names who may be exposed are ghost, hayes, jvr, and voracek. Out of those, if I'm Seattle, I'm going voracek unless he falls off a cliff between now and the draft or if one of those other guys looks great between now and then. From the flyers perspective, if everyone plays at their current level between now and then, I would love it if they took JVR. He's not terrible, but as it stands right now he's the most expendable. Unfortunately for us he played his best hockey in Toronto and he probably won't return to that level as he gets older.

Of course it's also possible the flyers either give a pick or two Seattle to poach someone the flyers are fine with losing or Seattle can go the Vegas route and choose someone no one cares about for free (Bellemare, but I doubt we get that lucky twice).

All of this is based on the players continuing on their current projections, obviously things change if someone breaks out or falls off a cliff, but if the expansion draft were held tomorrow your protected group is probably going to look very similar to who I listed above.

5 minutes ago, devpool said:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt they are exposing Patrick and lindblom. Voracek is very likely going to be exposed. An aging forward with a huge contract and there are a ton of promising young forwards in the system right now.

Provorov sanheim and myers are all getting protected, there is almost zero chance that there's even a discussion about this at the organization. 

Your protected players are likely going to look something like this:

F(7): G, Coots, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Frost, Farabee 

D(3): Provorov, Sanheim, Myers

G(1): Hart

Flyers will likely go the 7F 3D 1G route vice the 8 skaters 1 G route as the latter exposes too many young forwards to the draft and they really only have the big 3 D right now who really need protection (Provy, Sanheim, Myers). 

Farabee and frost likely will not be exempt by the time of that draft (they only need 40 games played in the pervious season or 70 across past 2 seasons) so they round out the last two forward slots.

The big names who may be exposed are ghost, hayes, jvr, and voracek. Out of those, if I'm Seattle, I'm going voracek unless he falls off a cliff between now and the draft or if one of those other guys looks great between now and then. From the flyers perspective, if everyone plays at their current level between now and then, I would love it if they took JVR. He's not terrible, but as it stands right now he's the most expendable. Unfortunately for us he played his best hockey in Toronto and he probably won't return to that level as he gets older.

Of course it's also possible the flyers either give a pick or two Seattle to poach someone the flyers are fine with losing or Seattle can go the Vegas route and choose someone no one cares about for free (Bellemare, but I doubt we get that lucky twice).

All of this is based on the players continuing on their current projections, obviously things change if someone breaks out or falls off a cliff, but if the expansion draft were held tomorrow your protected group is probably going to look very similar to who I listed above.

I don’t disagree with much there especially defensively.  They have to resign Patrick before he would be exposed anyway.  As you said jake has a huge contract.  At 30 years old They aren’t taking him to build around and for Less dollars they could take JVR (a year older) as a role/pp guy with decent production.  It really comes down to what Seattle wants to build around and fill needs with in terms of who they would take if both were there.  I can’t see them exposing Hayes. He’s been better than advertised.

1 hour ago, DBW said:

So glad Edmonton is losing!  Can’t stand mcdork! 

About to see two 12/5 upsets. 

Back from my vacation in the rockies. Luckily, I kept myself entertained enough that I barely missed hockey on the trip. Good to see the Flyers are still right in the mix. Can't wait for today's game!

15 hours ago, DBW said:

They will protect Patrick.