2023: Continued dead cap hell (Currently $54 Million)

paco

19 hours ago, paco said:

Fletcher Cox - Fake year in 2023.  $3.6 million

Alshon Jeffery - Two fake years starting 2022.  $5 million
Zach Ertz - Two fake years starting 2022.  $3.5 million
Lane Johnson - Three fake years starting in 2026.  $1.2 million
DeSean Jackson - Two fake years starting 2022.  $3.86 million
Jason Kelce - Three fake years starting in 2022.  $7.2 million
Brandon Graham - Three fake years starting in 2022.  $12.2 million
Malik Jackson - Three fake years starting in 2022.  $9 million
Darius Slay - Two fake years starting 2022.  $2.5 million
Javon Hargrave - Two fake years starting 2023.  $5 million
Rodney McLeod - Three fake years starting in 2022.  $1.8 million
Isaac Seumalo - Two fake years starting 2023.  $2 million

What does this mean?  Well, assuming 1) everyone lives out their contract and 2) there is no further restructuring, in 2022 we are looking at a $45 MILLION DOLLAR DEAD CAP HIT.  

Good lord how many of those guys would you want to restructure in 2 years?

Lane, Seumalo and Hargrave?

Alshon and DJax are both gone, Kelce would be 34 and has already contemplated retirement, I can see him pulling the trigger if this season continues like it is, Graham will be 34, M Jackson and Cox will be over 30, Slay will be over 30, Revis,Talib and Rodgers-Cromartie were all done as top level corners at 30.

It's inevitable that some of them will be extended because otherwise the roster is left in chaos, but I don't see much contribution out of that lot 2 seasons from now.

We're really in a big old hole unless the cap rises a lot in 22.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Alshon and DJax are both gone, Kelce would be 34 and has already contemplated retirement, I can see him pulling the trigger if this season continues like it is, Graham will be 34, M Jackson and Cox will be over 30, Slay will be over 30, Revis,Talib and Rodgers-Cromartie were all done as top level corners at 30.

It's inevitable that some of them will be extended because otherwise the roster is left in chaos, but I don't see much contribution out of that lot 2 seasons from now.

I was waiting for someone to make the opposite question so I can make the same point you just did.  If this was a list of players entering their prime, he could easily extend and restructure to get us out of the 2022 jam. But here, most of the guys are at the tail end of the career.  Their production is dipping and it would be irresponsible to add on years at roughly the same salary.  You can't go to Cox and say "Hey, we want to do an extension and restructure to add a year, but you are going to take a significant pay cut".  He's going to want to test the market and get one last pay day

I will need to look, so what I am about to say might be me mis-remembering.

I read that they are instituting a limit to how much the cap will drop in 2021 due to COVID.  However, I *think* that the loss will be spread out to following years if things are back to normal in 2022. So if 2021 goes back to packed stadiums and concessions, etc, it may go up in 2022, but not to the level that was previously projected before all this started.

Edit: I found some old articles about proposals where it could trickle down to future cap years, but nothing concrete.  

• Like 1

ugh, after watching the raiders, now i wish i had that gm on this team right now.

3 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Yea but how do we look after that? Gotta stay positive Paco. 

From a purely cap perspective...

2023:

No dead money (duh)

$101,989,646 under with only 26 players under contract, bringing us to an effective cap space of $83,239,646.   2nd worst in the NFL

On 9/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, time2rock said:

His time has come, he has made a complete mess out of this roster and hitched our wagon to what he hoped would be a star QB but is nothing more than average. 

Average is being too generous.  Through 2 weeks he's ranked 32nd in QBR and 33rd in Passer Rating...

23 hours ago, NOTW said:

Someone said the other day that Foles is like Fitzpatrick:  sometimes you get greatness, sometimes mediocrity and sometimes bad.  Foles hasn't played a single full season in his career.  He was widely criticized in 2014 when he struggled and then got injured again.  People called his 2013 success a fluke (like people are now doing with Wentz' 2017 season).  Foles had chances in KC then retired, then after his success here got beat out by Minshew and can't beat Trubinsky in Chicago.  Foles is a journeyman backup who played excellent football on a team that rallied around him and a lot of things were going right in that playoff run.  The offensive coaches that since left, the veterans who gave it their all for one last push, the underdog mentality...that all went away.  Foles played some downright bad games in 2018 when he took over and was ok in the playoffs.  We love him forever for what he did, but he was not the full-time answer at QB.

How is Wentz any different right about now? He isnt clutch. Everyone was just blinded because there was a false hope he would be a franchise qb.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, time2rock said:

Regardless of what happens, at least we came out of this era with a long overdue Lombardi!!  I’m ready to move on from Howie and bringing in someone who has a real eye for talent to begin a rebuild.  It makes it much easier to feel OK with the "take a step backward to take two steps forward” approach knowing we did win it all just a couple years ago.  I just don’t want to replicate the Phils that hung on to aging, overpriced talent far too long mistakenly thinking their window was still open (anyone thinking ours is, that we are legitimate championship contenders, that we’d be able to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Seattle (I have them as my next Super Bowl champs), Baltimore (I have them as the team that loses to Seattle in the next Super Bowl), KC, NO, GB, etc. are delusional.  I pray we do not drag this out too long.  I’m OK with stinking for a couple years to make the changes needed.  LII makes that pill easier to swallow.

Man, you’re right. Thank god we have a SB title, it really will ease the pain for what we as fans are about to endure. Anytime we have a bad game, I go back to my happy place in 2017. I’d hate to be a falcons fan staring down a total rebuild, knowing your team had the trophy in its grasp but lost it. 

• Like 3

On 9/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, nipples said:

And if they chose to get out of Wentz contract after 2021? Believe that adds another $24M in dead cap. So we are either stuck with a crap load of dead cap, an extremely expensive backup QB, or more of the same Wentz BS for the next few years. Wonderful. 

Thank god the Flyers look to be heading in the right direction or Philly sports would be entirely unbearable for the foreseeable future. 

Just a couple of years ago we were looking like f’ing Titletown. Crazy how this has unraveled. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Man, you’re right. Thank god we have a SB title, it really will ease the pain for what we as fans are about to endure. Anytime we have a bad game, I go back to my happy place in 2017. I’d hate to be a falcons fan staring down a total rebuild, knowing your team had the trophy in its grasp but lost it. 

Yeah, I’m still happy enough with LII that this doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much as it would have before. 

That said, still sucks for Sundays to be more irritating than fun. 
With the cap situation and what we are seeing from Wentz, probably the best thing that could happen is for Hurts to turn out to be the real deal, and move on from Wentz. If his replacement is on a second round rookie contract it at least makes Wentz awful contract a bit more bearable in that scenario. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Not gonna lie.... I go back to it often.  I'll watch that, I'll watch the turning point videos of that and the NFCCG, I have the banner raising on my DVR.... heck, I recently recorded a replay of the 2 hour post game from NBC Sports net so I could finally watch it (I had to get up at 3:30 the next day so I had to go from celebrating to asleep within 30 minutes)

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m glad more people are seeing the light when it comes to Howie.  I’m not the crazy old man yelling at the sky anymore.   

Same.  In 2018 he made some real headscratchers and whenever they got called out we got "cap genius".  

But he gets credit where credit is due.  Nailed the 2017 FA class.  Knocked that out of the park.   And in 2016 moving up to #8 while unloading Bryon Maxwell and Demarsha Murray was terrific as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

That game against the Cowboys must have felt like the ultimate reminder. 

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah that's all fine and good.  But the 2017 FA was like hitting the jackpot multiple times.  So many players, (both FA and Regulars) stepped up that year it wasn't sustainable:

Blount

Agholor

Big V

Wiz

Kendricks

Patrick Robinson

Clement

It was more coaching and cohesiveness than that dingus doing anything worthwhile.  I will give him credit for the 2016 draft maneuvering.  That's all he's done positive.  He's now been enabled.  Which is a dangerous thing.  Kind of reminds me of Jimmy Rollins.  Rollins hits 30 HR in 2007.  Has a great season.  All of the sudden he thinks he's a power source, rather than a lead-off hitter and his numbers plummeted afterwards.  

I agree but I would also throw the Ajayi trade into the good category for 2017. 

Not for nothing, but if the 14,15,and 17 drafts weren’t as bad as they were the team might not have been in this situation. Crazy how teams like the Steelers rarely make big trades nor do they spend a lot of money on free agents keep churning out talent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing, but if the 14,15,and 17 drafts weren’t as bad as they were the team might not have been in this situation. Crazy how teams like the Steelers rarely make big trades nor do they spend a lot of money on free agents keep churning out talent. 

Yeah this is spot on. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

That game against the Cowboys must have felt like the ultimate reminder. 

whats-the-difference-between-the-falcons-and-a-dollar-bill-15770914.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, paco said:

Not gonna lie.... I go back to it often.  I'll watch that, I'll watch the turning point videos of that and the NFCCG, I have the banner raising on my DVR.... heck, I recently recorded a replay of the 2 hour post game from NBC Sports net so I could finally watch it (I had to get up at 3:30 the next day so I had to go from celebrating to asleep within 30 minutes)

Howie keeps trying to figure out a philosophy.

Dream Team > Wait, extend our own and focus on draft > drafted poorly so trade draft picks for players > won SB, let's extend the aging vets > wait we're old and injured let's get young again

@PoconoDon has said it for years.  It all has to start with a GM with a solid philosophy.  Then you hire the personnel people, scouts and coaches that go with that philosophy.  Then those scouts find players that fit the philosophy, coaches design schemes and plays with that philosophy, you hire assistant coaches that fit...everything top to bottom.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nipples said:

Yeah, I’m still happy enough with LII that this doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much as it would have before. 

That said, still sucks for Sundays to be more irritating than fun. 
With the cap situation and what we are seeing from Wentz, probably the best thing that could happen is for Hurts to turn out to be the real deal, and move on from Wentz. If his replacement is on a second round rookie contract it at least makes Wentz awful contract a bit more bearable in that scenario. 

I used to get legitimately mad after a bad loss, to the point it could ruin my whole day. The games don’t really affect my mood as much now, if we win I’m definitely going to be in a better mood. And if we lose sure I’m bummed, like last 2 games, but after 20-30 minutes I’m pretty much over it. 

getting more into sports betting last 2 years has eased that pain also, drawn my interest in other games. I had a parlay bet on all the first games this Sunday, got every pick right except for Eagles and Cowboys. Would of won $9k on a $15 bet had Eagles hit the -2 & Falcons hit -3. This got me more emotional than anything on football Sunday lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Dream Team > Wait, extend our own and focus on draft > drafted poorly so trade draft picks for players > won SB, let's extend the aging vets > wait we're old and injured let's get young again

@PoconoDon has said it for years.  It all has to start with a GM with a solid philosophy.  Then you hire the personnel people, scouts and coaches that go with that philosophy.  Then those scouts find players that fit the philosophy, coaches design schemes and plays with that philosophy, you hire assistant coaches that fit...everything top to bottom.

Am I really seeing what I'm thinking that I'm reading?

Could that really be...sound logic?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

Howie doesn't have a philosophy. He can't because he can't draft for ish.

Howie is pretty good at NFL talent evaluation, or at least his team are and he then tends to make decent moves in FA. But Howie and his team are terrible at draft evaluation and they have no real philosophy in the draft and that's what hurts us.

It' time for Howie to go! He's put this team in the mess that it is in and he needs to be moved on so that we can truly start the rebuild.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Howie doesn't have a philosophy. He can't because he can't draft for ish.

Howie is pretty good at NFL talent evaluation, or at least his team are and he then tends to make decent moves in FA. But Howie and his team are terrible at draft evaluation and they have no real philosophy in the draft and that's what hurts us.

It' time for Howie to go! He's put this team in the mess that it is in and he needs to be moved on so that we can truly start the rebuild.

Not saying it WILL happen, but hypothetically let’s say Hurts goes out there and turns out to be the real deal. Becomes a legitimate franchise QB... do you give Howie more leeway at that point for having the guts to take the QB in the second round knowing there’s going to be a lot of questioning that pick?

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 8:07 AM, toughfighter83 said:

ugh, after watching the raiders, now i wish i had that gm on this team right now.

Funny cause their GM used to call preseason Eagles games.