2023: Continued dead cap hell (Currently $54 Million)

paco

11 minutes ago, paco said:

$51,890,633 in dead cap

:roll: 

Following up a $60m burger with a $50m burger. Atta boy, Howard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Here come the cap nerds to tell us how much cap trouble we are in for the 10th yr in a row. 

It is getting worse, not better.  And I take cap nerd as a compliment.

26 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Here come the cap nerds to tell us how much cap trouble we are in for the 10th yr in a row. 

What are your thoughts about having $63 million in dead cap last year and $51 million this year?

I mean, having 33% of the cap tied up in dead money one year and 24.5% the following year is a great thing, right?  I can't possibly see how this puts the team at a disadvantage.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Every team stays under the cap every year, they have to.  Being under the cap figure isn't the issue.  It's the cap space available to make moves, the dead money tied up in players on IR or no longer on the team due to giving bad contract extensions to older/injury prone guys.  It's bad for the team, and you should feel bad.  :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Following up a $60m burger with a $50m burger. Atta boy, Howard.

To be fair to Howie, who could have saw this coming?

On 9/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, paco said:

in 2022 we are looking at a $45 MILLION DOLLAR DEAD CAP HIT.  

VKL5P2YOIZC4TOS7LMIKZFYMZI.jpg

CAP GENIUS 

21 minutes ago, paco said:

$51,890,633 in dead cap

:roll: 

I mean, besides some rando loser on a message board who knows how google works.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, paco said:

I can't believe you called us rando losers.  We are cap nerd losers.

2 minutes ago, paco said:

To be fair to Howie, who could have saw this coming?

Lurie:  "look, other teams just took the best cap space before us so there weren't any good options left."

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Lurie:  "look, other teams just took the best cap space before us so there weren't any good options left."

Lurie: There are rando cap nerds on the internet saying we have a ton of dead cap space this year.  Is this true

Howie: It's high, but thanks to me, I got $21 million of dead cap off the 2022 books.

Lurie: That's great!  So we don't have to deal with it then?

Howie:  We sure don't.  That's future Howie's problem!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paco said:

What are your thoughts about having $63 million in dead cap last year and $51 million this year?

I mean, having 33% of the cap tied up in dead money one year and 24.5% the following year is a great thing, right?  I can't possibly see how this puts the team at a disadvantage.  

There are no major players that to be resigned next year (unless you count Miles Sanders), they shouldn't be overpaying for mediocre free agent talent right now and they are not in the negative this year like they were last year.

So what is the disadvantage that they have right now?

12 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

There are no major players that to be resigned next year (unless you count Miles Sanders), they shouldn't be overpaying for mediocre free agent talent right now and they are not in the negative this year like they were last year.

So what is the disadvantage that they have right now?

You are asking me what disadvantage we have because we have no good players to extend and shouldn't be signing anyone due to lack of space (yay, barely negative!) and are not a competitor as constructed?

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is a way out, there always is a way out but it limits you in future years.

He will do what he has always done and make Slay and Hargrave uncuttable for the next three years.  Just because we can do that, doesn't mean its a great solution. But I'd prefer if we actually just limited ourselves in FA, especially with this team, for one year to get out if this kicking the can down the road mess 

4 minutes ago, paco said:

You are asking me what disadvantage we have because we have no good players to sign and shouldn't be signing anyone due to lack of space (yay, barely negative!) and are not a competitor as constructed?

How do upcoming draft picks play into the salary cap? Especially given they have 3 1sts? (I could see them only actually drafting two 1st rounders)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, paco said:

You are asking me what disadvantage we have because we have no good players to extend and shouldn't be signing anyone due to lack of space (yay, barely negative!) and are not a competitor as constructed?

Yep.  We can not address all needs in the draft, we could add a long term starter at Safety in free agency.  There is some good ones hitting the market, we would be outbid for them.

5 minutes ago, paco said:

I am asking you how having so much dead money puts them at a disadvantage right now. Who should they be spending all the dead money on?

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

How do upcoming draft picks play into the salary cap? Especially given they have 3 1sts? (I could see them only actually drafting two 1st rounders)

The cap hit for the 15th, 16th and 19th picks last year totaled 9.288 million.  Will obviously be more than that this year.  11 million for all 5 of our top 100 picks.

5 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I am asking you how having so much dead money puts them at a disadvantage right now. Who should they be spending all the dead money on?

Top free agents that can help the Eagles that we could spend that 50 million on.  These are just the guys in the top 30 I would be interested in.

Davante Adams

Chris Godwin

J.C. Jackson

Mike Williams

Marcus Williams

Allen Robinson II

Jessie Bates III

Ryan Jensen

Carlton Davis

Brandon Scherff

Darious Williams

Emmanuel Ogbah

Melvin Ingram

Casey Hayward Jr

De'Vondre Campbell

Michael Gallup

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I’d be shocked if they didn’t use one to move back and add a 2nd or 3rd for this year and/or next year 

• Like 1

To be fair, I think we should take into consideration the roll over. I don't like what Howie does either, but 51 million is in reality 35 considering the 16 million he "saved" this year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Here is one disadvantage

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yep.  We can not address all needs in the draft, we could add a long term starter at Safety in free agency.  There is some good ones hitting the market, we would be outbid for them.

Here is another:  Pretend they have 0 dead cap space and instead have a whopping $62 million in dead cap.  Even if you look at the roster and think we are still too far away from really contending and need to build through the draft, you can always roll over the cap to the next year and then go on a spree of resigning players and filling the remaining gaps in FA.

Honestly, I can't begin to understand the line of thinking "well, we can't really contend nor get players make us contend, we really arnt at a disadvantage".  It's like saying "well, dinner isn't until 5 and I have no money, I don't see the point in buying groceries now"

15 minutes ago, OCEaglefan said:

I was happier before opening this thread. Damn TATE

Don't worry, I will bring my sunshine to WU too

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Top free agents that can help the Eagles that we could spend that 50 million on.  These are just the guys in the top 30 I would be interested in.

Davante Adams

Chris Godwin

J.C. Jackson

Mike Williams

Marcus Williams

Allen Robinson II

Jessie Bates III

Ryan Jensen

Carlton Davis

Brandon Scherff

Darious Williams

Emmanuel Ogbah

Melvin Ingram

Casey Hayward Jr

De'Vondre Campbell

Michael Gallup

Who needs em!  50 million in dead cap is no disadvantage, if you really think about it.

5 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

To be fair, I think we should take into consideration the roll over. I don't like what Howie does either, but 51 million is in reality 35 considering the 16 million he "saved" this year. 

Both with the current cap space and what we can use any extra space today in the future.  Roll over is always lost in these discussions.  I'm guilty of it myself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Davante Adams

Chris Godwin

J.C. Jackson

Mike Williams

Marcus Williams

Allen Robinson II

Jessie Bates III

Ryan Jensen

Carlton Davis

Brandon Scherff

Darious Williams

Emmanuel Ogbah

Melvin Ingram

Casey Hayward Jr

De'Vondre Campbell

Michael Gallup

Did you just google 'Top NFL FA' and copy and paste the first list you saw?

Other then Marcus Williams and MAYBE Davante Adams (who probably will not see FA) - most of these guys are just OK and will demand a lot of money that will not be worth it.

Do you think that Allen Robinson, Mike Williams, Michael Gallup and Chris Godwin (coming off an injury) is worth more than $18 million a year? That is what Golladay got paid last year and these guys will want more. Guys like Ryan Jensen, Melvin Ingram, Casey Hayward are all at or over 30 and on a young team you shouldn't spend a lot of money on them. 

Even if we had that dead cap money none of it should be spent on most of those guys.

6 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Did you just google 'Top NFL FA' and copy and paste the first list you saw?

Other then Marcus Williams and MAYBE Davante Adams (who probably will not see FA) - most of these guys are just OK and will demand a lot of money that will not be worth it.

Do you think that Allen Robinson, Mike Williams, Michael Gallup and Chris Godwin (coming off an injury) is worth more than $18 million a year? That is what Golladay got paid last year and these guys will want more. Guys like Ryan Jensen, Melvin Ingram, Casey Hayward are all at or over 30 and on a young team you shouldn't spend a lot of money on them. 

Even if we had that dead cap money none of it should be spent on most of those guys.

As I posted, these are guys in the top 30 that could help the Eagles at positions of need.