fantasy b-ball league...Days without a commish banning: 0

Shepard Wong

I am intrigued by the idea of an off-line draft doing a Team-style format. The thing that was always tricky for me with fantasy basketball, is one team may have 2 games in a calendar week whereas another has 4 in that week (example below with the two teams I've been a season ticketholder for). Does fantasy basketball allow you to "lock" your players for the entire week (so set lineups once a week) and then your player "score" is their average of points/rebounds/steals/turnovers/etc., instead of the net accumulation of their stats across all games that week? 

image.thumb.png.83989055a1f070cee3baf45026f877b2.png

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

The thing that was always tricky for me with fantasy basketball, is one team may have 2 games in a calendar week whereas another has 4 in that week

Yeah, that kind of ruins the whole team league idea.  

Just now, downundermike said:

Yeah, that kind of ruins the whole team league idea.  

but even when having individual players, your entire roster can have 47 games played that week where your opponent might have 54 or something. I remember in the early EMB fantasy basketball days (2011-2012 season) it was literally a strategy to add-drop backend of the roster players so that you could fill a full lineup every day of the week. And while your roster was weaker, but getting so many additional starts allowed managers that have endless free time to stack wins. It cheapened things -- which is why the idea of an average weekly score per player sounds less ticky tack

4 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I am intrigued by the idea of an off-line draft doing a Team-style format. The thing that was always tricky for me with fantasy basketball, is one team may have 2 games in a calendar week whereas another has 4 in that week (example below with the two teams I've been a season ticketholder for). Does fantasy basketball allow you to "lock" your players for the entire week (so set lineups once a week) and then your player "score" is their average of points/rebounds/steals/turnovers/etc., instead of the net accumulation of their stats across all games that week? 

image.thumb.png.83989055a1f070cee3baf45026f877b2.png

agreed.  that's why fantasy basketball (& even baseball) can't compete with football. espn does let you lock your lineup for the week.....BUT....they don't do scoring based on weekly averages, which sucks. 

4 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

agreed.  that's why fantasy basketball (& even baseball) can't compete with football. espn does let you lock your lineup for the week.....BUT....they don't do scoring based on weekly averages, which sucks. 

that's a bummer. I never did fantasy baseball, but I always thought averaging performance was how that works (or maybe it was just the ROTO method if I'm vaguely recalling things I have never done before and last read about a decade or more ago). 

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

that's a bummer. I never did fantasy baseball, but I always thought averaging performance was how that works (or maybe it was just the ROTO method if I'm vaguely recalling things I have never done before and last read about a decade or more ago). 

just did a quick search & a couple people are saying cbs sports allows it...or at least they used to. i'll try to take a look when i have more time. that would be ideal. otherwise, we wind up chasing games played & that's kind of lame. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

just did a quick search & a couple people are saying cbs sports allows it...or at least they used to. i'll try to take a look when i have more time. that would be ideal. otherwise, we wind up chasing games played & that's kind of lame. 

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/basketball/story/_/id/30296896/espn-fantasy-default-points-league-scoring-explained 

might be specific to roto - i'm just googling espn fantasy basketball to look up what options exist

image.png.74cbd007702bb2ba60e01366efc08d8a.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

might be specific to roto - i'm just googling espn fantasy basketball to look up what options exist

image.png.74cbd007702bb2ba60e01366efc08d8a.png

i'll check it out. 

i always hated b-ball leagues that use categories...so i'd prefer some sort of  point system. the number of games thing is always the catch though.

I mean, picking players by how many games they have that week is part of the strategy in fantasy basketball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

I mean, picking players by how many games they have that week is part of the strategy in fantasy basketball.

oh, i agree. it totally is. it's also the part of fantasy basketball i like the least. :lol:  

4 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

oh, i agree. it totally is. it's also the part of fantasy basketball i like the least. :lol:  

I always pick up free agents that had a big week the previous week and then realize it’s probably because they played in four games

:wacko: 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i'll check it out. 

i always hated b-ball leagues that use categories...so i'd prefer some sort of  point system. the number of games thing is always the catch though.

My league used to give a point total rather than individual stats categories scoring. 

But there was no way to limit people from churning the end of their roster to pick up extra games each week. 

That hurt teams with better rosters that didn't really have droppable players.  It's a Diario in the face to those who Astral can draft well. Cheapens the whole experience then. Since it takes 0 skill/ knowledge to draft a sucky team and add/drop scrubs daily just because they have a game that night. 

That was one of the issues people argued about in my league and there was no answer for it to keep everyone happy. 

5 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

Its less a strategy than it is a way of seeing who has more free time to regularly check a free league to continuously manage daily lineups.

Hunt -- not sure if this would work, but maybe there is a way to control Waivers? Like, if the league week runs Monday through Sunday, maybe all players are on waivers Mon-Fri where nobody can pick up anybody. Then come Saturday waiver claims go through, Sunday all players are available as a free agent, and then come Monday all rosters are essentially locked for the next 5 days.

That way Owners, once a week, have to examine their roster versus the free agent pool, and decide if they want to swap those depth guys because maybe the 10-14th players on their roster have 2-3 games this up coming week and some FAs have 3-4 games. This stops people from just churning players day after day and also making people decide if its worth dropping players on their roster for others.

Or we shrink starting spots. Maybe do a PG, SG, SF, PF, C with one extra G and F each (no Util players), or even modify since Centers are so rare that maybe PF/C are a single position (decreasing from 5 to 4 main starting spots) and still limiting to 2 or 3 additional players:

PG - SG - SF - PF/C - G - F - Util

14 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

Its less a strategy than it is a way of seeing who has more free time to regularly check a free league to continuously manage daily lineups.

Hunt -- not sure if this would work, but maybe there is a way to control Waivers? Like, if the league week runs Monday through Sunday, maybe all players are on waivers Mon-Fri where nobody can pick up anybody. Then come Saturday waiver claims go through, Sunday all players are available as a free agent, and then come Monday all rosters are essentially locked for the next 5 days.

That way Owners, once a week, have to examine their roster versus the free agent pool, and decide if they want to swap those depth guys because maybe the 10-14th players on their roster have 2-3 games this up coming week and some FAs have 3-4 games. This stops people from just churning players day after day and also making people decide if its worth dropping players on their roster for others.

Or we shrink starting spots. Maybe do a PG, SG, SF, PF, C with one extra G and F each (no Util players), or even modify since Centers are so rare that maybe PF/C are a single position (decreasing from 5 to 4 main starting spots) and still limiting to 2 or 3 additional players:

Now that you say it, I think that was what we did to solve the issue. I think you can set a limit on waiver moves per week or something like that. 

Something like 3 per week seems reasonable, I think.

Im against shrinking rosters. There are enough contributors in the NBA to support rosters with those extra G and F spots as well as a Util or 2. Shrinking rosters too much means there will be a ton of good players on free agent/waiver wire all the time and reduces the challenge of playing. Like an 8 team fantasy football league.

But weekly waiver limits is a good idea.

40 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I certainly wasn’t checking daily. I think you set your lineup for the week then it locks, right?  

1 minute ago, Dave Moss said:

I certainly wasn’t checking daily. I think you set your lineup for the week then it locks, right?

when i played in the past, you could go in every day and swap players in and out. I think each individual day locked at like 5pm or whenever the first scheduled game of the calendar day tipped off

5 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

when i played in the past, you could go in every day and swap players in and out. I think each individual day locked at like 5pm or whenever the first scheduled game of the calendar day tipped off

I’m a little foggy on the details but I don’t think we were doing that in Hunt’s league.

I was going to gracefully offer my spot to someone who would really want in, but then I remembered I'm the Inaugural champion. I'm back beeches!

Guess I'm going to have to change my name....

• Like 2

i like the idea of doing waivers once weekly...but of course espn doesn't allow that. :nonono:  

best i can do is limit the number of player acquisitions per week. we can make it a low number like maybe 2 or 3 per week.  another option is to have weekly lineup locks...meaning you can't make lineup changes during the week. sucks if a player gets injured early in the week though. 

let me know what you guys prefer.  also, looks like we actually have a chance at a 12 team league if that fogtag agent stays in...jenkins too.