Keep Jackson and Jeffery out...

nipples

3 hours ago, JohnB said:

Unfortunately the way my work schedule has been, I have not been able to see any of the games in their entirety. That being said, from what I have seen, Wentz is an absolute check-down machine. I would like to see Alshon & DJax out there because I believe they still give us the best chance to win. 

A check down machine? You're kidding? I'm not sure there's a QB in the league who's will check down less than Wentz. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Not sure we want all rooks and Ward out there.

10 hours ago, judunno said:

If... they get healthy... big if... they play.

Yeah - everybody is gushing over Fulgham and Hightower and they did a nice job in the circumstances, but they both had two catches against a team that was crippled at corner. The 49ers could basically focus on taking away the run and Ertz because they weren’t worried about our receivers at all.

Great win for the Eagles but 18 points and 267 yards is not going to get it done going forwards. If and when Jackson, Jeffery and Reagor are healthy they need to play because right now they are our best receivers.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't be disappointed if the team decided to sit them or IR them for the year. 

People will argue that if we are to pull it out and get to the play offs that we should play our best players.

On paper DeSean and Alshon may be 2 of our best receivers but as a team I think we function better without them.

C'mon man, Jesus tapdancing Christ, while Jackson has one good game against Washington and 2 games of alligator armed meh as his Eagles return, define "better" with regards Alshon because with Alshon we won the Superbowl and a Play off game and without Alshon we look like a team that made the playoffs by a cockeyed miracle of Dallas choke last year and a shambling mess that will struggle to reach 5 wins this.

If you don't want them back in that's fine that's legit your opinion and you're entitled to it, but don't try and dress it up as a logical football decision because putting practice squad guys in there over a healthy Alshon Jeffery just isn't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

C'mon man, Jesus tapdancing Christ, while Jackson has one good game against Washington and 2 games of alligator armed meh as his Eagles return, define "better" with regards Alshon because with Alshon we won the Superbowl and a Play off game and without Alshon we look like a team that made the playoffs by a cockeyed miracle of Dallas choke last year and a shambling mess that will struggle to reach 5 wins this.

If you don't want them back in that's fine that's legit your opinion and you're entitled to it, but don't try and dress it up as a logical football decision because putting practice squad guys in there over a healthy Alshon Jeffery just isn't.

Yeah just crazy. Even when clearly at 50% last year Jeffery was on pace for close to 1000 yards and put up 9 catches for 137 yards in his last game.

His contract is a nightmare, but he’s a legitimate NFL receiver and while he’s here we need to use him until he gets legitimately beaten out by younger WRs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Care to explain Sunday night then? Care to explain the last few weeks of last year then? 

54 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Care to explain Sunday night then? Care to explain the last few weeks of last year then? 

Let's not overstate Sunday night mate. Gutsy performance but the offense put up 270 yards and 18 points against a crippled San Fran D. They had none of their first choice corners and none of their best DEs. Fulgham and Hightower had 2 catches each, that was it. 

Wentz played really well at the end of last year, but the only half decent team we beat was Dallas and that was mainly due to the D/Dak playing badly.  Wentz's worst games by far were against Seattle and New England last year where he didn't have Jeffery or Jackson.

Definitely would help to have Jeffery at least out there and DJax at least until Reagor returns. It will stop teams being able to just take Ertz away.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Let's not overstate Sunday night mate. Gutsy performance but the offense put up 270 yards and 18 points against a crippled San Fran D. They had none of their first choice corners and none of their best DEs. Fulgham and Hightower had 2 catches each, that was it. 

Wentz played really well at the end of last year, but the only half decent team we beat was Dallas and that was mainly due to the D/Dak playing badly.  Wentz's worst games by far were against Seattle and New England last year where he didn't have Jeffery or Jackson.

Definitely would help to have Jeffery at least out there and DJax at least until Reagor returns. It will stop teams being able to just take Ertz away.

I'm not trying to overstate Sunday night at all bud. It was a gutsy performance but it wasn't a pretty one. I am just saying it is odd that this offense seems to produce better when using the young guys at receiver. I wonder if that's a trust thing with Wentz?

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not trying to overstate Sunday night at all bud. It was a gutsy performance but it wasn't a pretty one. I am just saying it is odd that this offense seems to produce better when using the young guys at receiver. I wonder if that's a trust thing with Wentz?

You see for me it's more about how Wentz approaches the game.

Too often in the past 3 seasons we've seen Wentz hang on to the ball too long. He doesn't move well in the pocket. Tends to stay quite static about 10 yards back and wait for plays to develop downfield and then try and make rushers miss if they get to him. He has done it too often and in the wrong situations. So if it's 2nd and 6 he takes a sack to make it 3rd and 15 rather than throwing it away and having a manageable 3rd down situation. 

What he did really well at the end of last season, and to an extent, Sunday night, was get the ball out a lot quicker, take the check down and only take the risks at sensible times. 

But to be honest one of the main reasons we won Sunday night was that the D finally got some turnovers and we scored 14 points off them. That needs to continue.

But even though Wentz played better, we are not going to get away with continuing to roll out those skill players and expect to win. Jeffery will command attention away from Ertz. Obviously it will be good to have Goedert back. Jackson is a downfield threat and we need that at least until Reagor gets back.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You see for me it's more about how Wentz approaches the game.

Too often in the past 3 seasons we've seen Wentz hang on to the ball too long. He doesn't move well in the pocket. Tends to stay quite static about 10 yards back and wait for plays to develop downfield and then try and make rushers miss if they get to him. He has done it too often and in the wrong situations. So if it's 2nd and 6 he takes a sack to make it 3rd and 15 rather than throwing it away and having a manageable 3rd down situation. 

What he did really well at the end of last season, and to an extent, Sunday night, was get the ball out a lot quicker, take the check down and only take the risks at sensible times. 

But to be honest one of the main reasons we won Sunday night was that the D finally got some turnovers and we scored 14 points off them. That needs to continue.

But even though Wentz played better, we are not going to get away with continuing to roll out those skill players and expect to win. Jeffery will command attention away from Ertz. Obviously it will be good to have Goedert back. Jackson is a downfield threat and we need that at least until Reagor gets back.

That really is a nice summary of Wentz's tendencies ME.  

Regarding the last (bolded) part, I don't think we are anywhere near being legitimate contenders for a championship this year (perhaps we can be considered contenders for the division since it is historically bad, but I don't really think we are that either ... as much as it pains me to say it, we aren't going to keep up with Dallas head-to-head this year regardless of how bad their defense is playing).  So in that case, to me it only makes sense to continue to play the young WRs to get them some valuable experience.  The best way to expedite their development is by playing - let them work out the kinks in their game now and learn from their mistakes so that they are ready to go full speed next year (when it is likely both DJax and Jeffery are gone).  

Beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore and I'd change my tune about our chances (but would still want the young WRs to get some on-field experience).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

That really is a nice summary of Wentz's tendencies ME.  

Regarding the last (bolded) part, I don't think we are anywhere near being legitimate contenders for a championship this year (perhaps we can be considered contenders for the division since it is historically bad, but I don't really think we are ... as much as it pains me to say it, we aren't going to keep up with Dallas head-to-head this year regardless of how bad their defense is playing).  So in that case, to me it only makes sense to continue to play the young WRs to get them some valuable experience.  The best way to expedite their development is by playing - let them work out the kinks in their game now and learn from their mistakes so that they are ready to go full speed next year (when it is likely both DJax and Jeffery are gone).  

Beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore and I'd change my tune about our chances (but would still want the young WRs to get some on-field experience).

Thank you and I hear what you are saying regarding not being legitimate contenders (I actually think we did have that potential previously, particularly in 2018).

But my issue is that these receivers are probably not the future. Sure we need to play Reagor a lot when he comes back, but Hightower is a project and Fulgham is an overachieving practice squad player. We need to try and build Wentz back up again and I'm just not sure he trusts or will throw to the likes of Hightower and Fulgham. Also as teams can basically cover them with one player, it opens up blitzes/taking away Ertz and Sanders.

I would love it if Hightower could develop into a legitimate starting receiver, but generally 4th round picks and later do not, so I think right now we need to put our best WRs out there and if that's Jeffery and Jackson when they are healthy - so be it.

16 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’d be completely shocked if they weren’t.  I think they spent so many picks (4) at the position the past 2 years anticipating the cap situation and the need to move on from those 2.  It’s a shame JJAW continues to look like a complete failure.  Hated the pick then, hate it even more as time goes on.  

You know how you have vivid memories of your reaction and exactly where you were for traumatic experiences. I get intense flashbacks of draft night every time I notice JJAW make an uninspiring play (AKA every play he isn't on the sideline).  

Jeffrey and Jackson's contracts for 2019 and 2020 and their age and injury history meant that this was a passing of the baton period.  They drafted JJAW to be ready to replace Jeffrey and he's a bust.  They drafted 3 guys this year to bring youth and speed.  

You can argue that the young guys need reps but they're getting them now and they did at the end of last season with all the injuries.  Ward continues to improve and be a reliable receiver.  Having Goedert out affects the WR group as well.  Ertz is their top receiving threat and draws the attention.  Getting Reagor back will be big.

Jeffrey and Jackson at this point you know you're getting rid of them after the season to dump their salaries.  As the season progresses if they're losing more games and it appears the season is lost, it will be interesting to see what they do.  Doug's philosophy tends to be to play the guys you have not to bench them for the young guys.  Look at last year when Dillard was playing well at LT then he started JP once he came back from injury.  

You can also argue that since Wentz is having a bad year he needs reliable WRs to help him.  Jackson was making some plays this year before he got hurt again.  Having reliable hands and veterans who know what it takes can help the young WRs learn as well.  So it's really just a passing the torch, and next year you're looking at Reagor, Ward, Hightower and perhaps other young receivers and maybe a veteran free agent (if there's any money) or another draft pick added.

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

This can't be down played or overlooked. 7 points came directly from the defense. Another 7 came from a turnover. This was far from a good offensive display for the most part. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This can't be down played or overlooked. 7 points came directly from the defense. Another 7 came from a turnover. This was far from a good offensive display for the most part. 

Agreed. Still trying to figure out who the QBs were for San Fran. But this will always go down as the epic Sunday that we discovered Fug Em. He may be cut in a few weeks but Fug It go Fug Em!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Seriously, I dont think the Eagles will have a choice to make, Neither Djax or Alshon can stay healthy (Like Peters) so even if they are back for 1/2 a game or so, it wont matter, I'd be shocked if either will play more than a game or two the rest of the season. 

20 hours ago, nipples said:

Pretty good chance they’re high enough in the draft to get Ja’Marr Chase... be a perfect WR to pair with Reagor on the outside. 

I really hope we draft an offensive lineman with our first rounder next year.

On 10/5/2020 at 11:56 AM, nipples said:

Maybe I’m alone here, but I honestly don’t want these two back on the field this year. I’d much rather see who develops out of Hightower, Fulgham, Watkins and Reagor. Ward I think is what he is, which is a solid if not spectacular slot WR, which is fine. 

I say sit them out until they’re fully healthy. No need to have them take reps from younger, seemingly hungrier guys unless they can contribute as a game changer. 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, nipples said:

I think you need to consider more than talent alone, but also chemistry. Wentz, for whatever reason, seems to play better with these young guys. 

I heard Fulgham say : Wentz said to him..Hey You! Be Ready!. Jackson and Alshon have too much ego to be commanded with Hey you! This is why sometimes fresh blood works better.

12 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

I heard Fulgham say : Wentz said to him..Hey You! Be Ready!. Jackson and Alshon have too much ego to be commanded with Hey you! This is why sometimes fresh blood works better.

I wouldn't view it like that.  Wentz is the veteran QB at this point now, and Jeffrey and Jackson are veterans that know what it takes.  A guy ripped from the practice squad where Wentz has not practiced with him, it makes sense to give him some coaching.  Wentz was asked about him and said he only saw him running with the practice squad offense against the starting defense.  I'm sure there are times when he might give an excited nod to any receiver like Jeffrey, Jackson or Ertz or others to prep for an idea on play execution.  Making something out of nothing here IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I wouldn't view it like that.  Wentz is the veteran QB at this point now, and Jeffrey and Jackson are veterans that know what it takes.  A guy ripped from the practice squad where Wentz has not practiced with him, it makes sense to give him some coaching.  Wentz was asked about him and said he only saw him running with the practice squad offense against the starting defense.  I'm sure there are times when he might give an excited nod to any receiver like Jeffrey, Jackson or Ertz or others to prep for an idea on play execution.  Making something out of nothing here IMO.

Yeah if we have a Quarterback who can only connect with fringe players with no ego then we have a problem. If Fulgham has another decent game, do we have to cut him in case he doesn't take Wentz's disrespect anymore and replace him with another no name cast off?

As you say it's not an issue, just Wentz ensuring his guys with next to no experience are sharp and ready to go.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah if we have a Quarterback who can only connect with fringe players with no ego then we have a problem. If Fulgham has another decent game, do we have to cut him in case he doesn't take Wentz's disrespect anymore and replace him with another no name cast off?

As you say it's not an issue, just Wentz ensuring his guys with next to no experience are sharp and ready to go.

Wentz and Jeffrey may have issues.

12 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Wentz and Jeffrey may have issues.

My view on this is that if there were issues, they were dealt with a long time ago. Last game they properly played together - AJ put up 9 catches for 137 yards.

I have no idea how effective Jeffery will be when he comes back, but if he’s even 2019 hobbled Alshon, he’s a big upgrade on what we currently have.

Both Carson and AJ need to play well for their futures. It will be fine.

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

My view on this is that if there were issues, they were dealt with a long time ago. Last game they properly played together - AJ put up 9 catches for 137 yards.

I have no idea how effective Jeffery will be when he comes back, but if he’s even 2019 hobbled Alshon, he’s a big upgrade on what we currently have.

Both Carson and AJ need to play well for their futures. It will be fine.

That's what I think.  Reporters like to drum up rumors and drama.  The team knows for sure if a player is a problem or if there is an issue with teammates getting along.  Not everyone will always like each other but they can go out and perform.  If the team felt a player really were a problem they'd get rid of him.  There are also some very mature leaders on the team I can't see them letting something like that happen.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

That's what I think.  Reporters like to drum up rumors and drama.  The team knows for sure if a player is a problem or if there is an issue with teammates getting along.  Not everyone will always like each other but they can go out and perform.  If the team felt a player really were a problem they'd get rid of him.  There are also some very mature leaders on the team I can't see them letting something like that happen.  

Yeah agreed - Jeffery may well have spoken to a reporter, but when you look at what was actually said (in a nut shell Wentz needs to check down more), it was hardly inflammatory or created a situation they couldn't come back from.

Ultimately both benefit from the other, so I'm sure they will just get on with things.