Nate Gerry Under Fire for Series of Racist Tweets

time2rock

10 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

If he is this bad imagine the talent of the guy he beat out?

You're giving Jim Schwartz to much credit.  The most talented players on this team don't always play for some reason.  And yes I know the linebackers aren't good.  Just saying. 

10 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

If he is this bad imagine the talent of the guy he beat out?

You mean like LJ Fort who is now playing a significant role in Baltimore and playing rather well??  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Cut him. Straight up cut him. I don't care if it was a few years ago he still made those racist comments. 

And yes that would be the same for any player regardless of how good or bad they may be. 

Come on, dude. Do you understand what it means to be RACIST?  It means to look down upon another person for the color of their skin.  I don't think him referring to his friend with the N-word (soft a) is racist.... this is a dramatic response to a non-issue.

19 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

That might have been the worse part of the RIley Cooper saga. Lets not forget, he was also wearing the Eagles Alternate black uniform in that calendar also for February. Completely tone-deaf lol

Nah, the worst part was giving him a contract extension.  He should have been cut.  Drunk means "no filter". It doesn't mean "I said something I don't believe."

He could have insulted that man in any way, and he chose the pick race.  I say crap some times to stir people up, but race is off limits.  Especially as a white person, that thought never should have been in his head.

The Gerry thing is a total non-issue.  And any black teammate looking to get offended by his decade-old, soft-"a" tweet is too weak for me to support. Guarantee they say way worse things on the field. 

Likely, the only people to get offended here will be white social justice fairies, always having to get offended on behalf of someone else. 

Saying a particular word, no matter what it is, should not be automatically considered racist. This is why I have such an issue with calling people "racist.”  It’s ALL about context.  Clearly, this does not check off the boxes to be considered so.  

Are there racists among all groups?  Sure.  Is the word grossly misused, overused and weaponized?  Abso-Fin-lutely it is. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Cut him. Straight up cut him. I don't care if it was a few years ago he still made those racist comments. 

And yes that would be the same for any player regardless of how good or bad they may be. 

Eh I mean he was a teenager. And he didn't use it with a hard R. He used the version of the word that is in about every other rap song. Cutting him because he sucks is a different story. 

20 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Eh I mean he was a teenager. And he didn't use it with a hard R. He used the version of the word that is in about every other rap song. Cutting him because he sucks is a different story. 

I never realized there were different connotations whether a "hard R" was used or not.  To me (which doesn't mean as much since I am Caucasian) ending that word with an a or an r should carry the same level of disrespect (when used by anyone who isn't black).   

But I do agree with others that he likely wasn't making those comments with the intent to be racist ... he just sounded like a goofy teenager trying to make himself look cool (it didn't work).  

If he get cut because of the tweets, shouldn’t DJax get cut too? I mean DJax was a grown man when he made his tweet. 

12 hours ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

If anyone should be apologizing, it's the Eagles organization, not Gerry.  This stuff is supposed to be thoroughly vetted during the draft process to prevent PR nightmares just like these from occurring.  I don't care if he's a 5th rounder.  Sure it may be tedious to scroll through everyone's social media history, but that's what you get paid to do.  This should have been scrubbed a long time ago, and it's for the sake of the black fans and the black players in that locker-room as much as anyone.  Now it's something they have to deal with (which includes going though the act of "forgiving" him, even though we all know forgiveness isn't something you instant download on your tablet).

Is this to let Gerry off the hook?  No.  Wherever he grew up and however he spelled it, he knew full well not to use that word.  But that doesn't mean he should be retroactively held accountable for it now.

With all due respect the Eagles looked at this slow 200 pound safety and said to themselves "Let’s not draft a real linebacker, but instead turn this safety into one.” It’s a typical move for a group that believes they’re smarter than everyone else. So are you really that surprised the people who missed the fact Danny Watkins had no desire to ever play football would miss this too?

• Like 1

Just now, Road to Victory said:

If he get cut because of the tweets, shouldn’t DJax get cut too? I mean DJax was a grown man when he made his tweet. 

Considering neither player is contributing much I say good riddance to both. 

4 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

Come on, dude. Do you understand what it means to be RACIST?  It means to look down upon another person for the color of their skin.  I don't think him referring to his friend with the N-word (soft a) is racist.... this is a dramatic response to a non-issue.

So that makes it OK does it? I can go around calling all of my black friends the N word can I? That's OK now is it?

2 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Look if that word is now acceptable within our society then fine. As far as I was aware it still caused some offense if used by a white person but if I'm wrong I'll accept that I'm wrong. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look if that word is now acceptable within our society then fine. As far as I was aware it still caused some offense if used by a white person but if I'm wrong I'll accept that I'm wrong. 

Lol it's not acceptable

The responses in here are laughable 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If a word only causes offense if used by a person of a certain race (but not others), then people that believe that are also practicing racism. 

As pointed out by others already, there is a difference between something that is racist and something that is hateful. Intent means a whole lot more than actions. If you see a person mugging an old lady and you throw a brick and it hits the mugger, that doesn't make you a hero if you were aiming for the old lady. 

They didn't cut DeSean for anti-semetic tweets he made 3 months ago. They shouldn't cut Gerry for racist tweets he made 9 years ago. 

I'll be very happy when our society takes all of the power away from words/names. Powerless, they won't be used and if they are, they'll just be meaningless words. We aren't there yet, of course. But I hope we get there in my lifetime. 

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'll be very happy when our society takes all of the power away from words/names. Powerless, they won't be used and if they are, they'll just be meaningless words. We aren't there yet, of course. But I hope we get there in my lifetime. 

In the US, that’s not going to happen for a long time. Our culture has totally glorified victimhood. People are too incentivized to make a big deal of these words/names because society rewards them and gives them attention when they do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol it's not acceptable

The responses in here are laughable 

So why is it acceptable in just about every other rap song out there? I agree the word should NEVER be said. But you wanna punish a guy for a word that is used frequently by others and no one bats an eye? Cut him for his crappy play not over some overboard cancel culture nonsense. 

8 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

So why is it acceptable in just about every other rap song out there? I agree the word should NEVER be said. But you wanna punish a guy for a word that is used frequently by others and no one bats an eye? Cut him for his crappy play not over some overboard cancel culture nonsense. 

Is your argument that black people use it so white people should too?

I want to punish the guy for his trash play but they are still keeping him. If something that he shouldn't have said to begin with gets him cut then that's fine too. I just want him off the team.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:28 AM, time2rock said:

You mean like LJ Fort who is now playing a significant role in Baltimore and playing rather well??  

Statistically Rasul Douglas is one of the top CBs in the league this year so far too...

• Sad 1

A lot of old guys in this thread would be mortified if they only knew just how much 16 year olds of all races use this word in casual conversation to each other on a daily basis. The younger generation has thrown the "only black people are allowed to say n166a" to the curb years ago. I don't like it but that's the real deal.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:11 AM, Talonblood said:

He was just trying to act cool, a pasty faced white boy (sure, go ahead and say I am a racist- I don't care- it's funny, because I was called that once. I didn't get angry- I laughed my a** off because it sounded so funny to me at the time) trying to act hip hop n gangsta. I'm not saying it was right. I'll tell you what is an issue to think about, though... say a white guy just so happens to really love rap n hip hop, and they keep hearing two words in particular dropped over and over and over- the N word that ends with an A, NOT an R, and the F word. I mean like thousands of times, over and over and over. ANY human being, and even some Martians who hear certain words or phrases repeatedly are going to say them eventually. That's just reality. And if a white person slips and says it- after hearing it over and over and over again because they love the music, they are suddenly a racist, when in actuality, they really aren't- they love the black culture and the black cultures music.  So either the white person stops listening to music he loves, or blacks need to stop saying that stuff if they don't want it repeated. NEITHER is going to happen- that's just reality, man. I wish we could all try to understand each other more. Touchy situations. Sigh. 

You should look into Kendrick Lamar stopping his concert after inviting a white girl on stage. She sang his song and dropped the N word as the song did and he stopped everything and kicked her out. Said white peoples need to censor themselves if singing a song with the N word in it. I think he was in Alabama. 

On 10/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They cut Riley Cooper after his comments didn't they?

Na. They gave him a raise. 

56 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Is your argument that black people use it so white people should too?

No, my argument is no one should use it but the idea that a word is ok/not ok based off the color of your skin is stupid. Something is either wrong or it is not. This word NO ONE should use. But punishing a teenager for using a word that is used in everyday culture again is stupid. 

• Like 1