Special Teams blog

FranklinFldEBUpper

49ers debacle.

Braden Mann punted three times with an average of about 51.7 yards and 4.66 hangtime. Two of the three (not his last one) had a hangtime of at least 4.5 seconds and all three were hit outside the numbers. Mitch Wishnowsky only punted twice (we know why). He averaged about 48.0 yards and 4.55 hangtime. Both were at 4.5 or better and both were hit outside the numbers. The better statistical game goes to Mann, putting his mark at 5-5 on the season with the Eagles as a team at 6-6.

On the season, Mann is averaging about 46.9 yards and 4.52 seconds with 58% at 4.5 seconds and 48% hit outside the numbers. Opponents are averaging about 47.0 yards and 4.52 seconds with 60% at 4.5 seconds and 53% hit outside the numbers. Pretty much a virtual tie in terms of the numbers. We're "average" there, I guess.

Snap to foot times were slightly in our favor. Around 2.00 (one was slower) compared to around 2.10 for the Niners.

Snap to foot times on place kicks were comparable. In the 1.25 range for both teams. The Niners were quicker than most teams seem to be. We're always good there.

Excluding the onside kick, which was hit by Mann anyway, Jake Elliott kicked off four times. He averaged about 72.8 yards and 4.10 hangtime. Jake Moody kicked off repeatedly throughout the game. Seven times in total. He averaged about 67.1 yards and 4.06 hangtime. On the season, Elliott is averaging about 71.5 yards and 4.17 hangtime. Opponents are averaging about 71.4 yards and 4.18 hangtime. Once again, the numbers are staggeringly similar.

Elliott made his only two field goal attempts, from distances with an expectancy of about 1.77. On the season, he's now 21-of-23 from distances with an expectancy of about 17.2. This means he's made about 3.8 more than expected based on the distances of his attempts. This means he's "earned" the Eagles about 11.4 points. His average attempt distance is 40.3 yards, which is about a yard longer than the league average. He's obviously having a strong year.

Elliott's Elo Kicking Rating improved slightly to 2342, which ranks seventh (tied) in the league. It's actually the same rating as Justin Tucker, the presumed best kicker in the league. But Tucker has quietly missed more kicks since the second half of last year than you'd probably think. That's about 0.91 standard deviations above the mean. The rating of Eagles Opponents remains at 2293, which would be ranked 19th and is 0.13 STD above the mean. The League Average is 2285. The standard is 2200. The Top Five kickers are Koo (2385, +1.60); Folk (2357, +1.15); Gay (2353, +1.09), Butker (2352, +1.07); and Hopkins (2352, +1.07). The Bottom Five kickers are Moody (2212, -1.16); A Carlson (2207, -1.24); Havrisik (2181, -1.65); Ryland (2164, -1.92); and Ammendola-PS (2118, -2.65). Havrisik might be on the verge of losing his job with the Rams as they just signed Mason Crosby to their practice squad. We'll see. I'm kinda surprised Crosby wasn't picked up earlier. The Texans decision to sign Ammendola rather than Crosby always looked silly. Ammendola is historically a poor NFL kicker, albeit one with a strong leg. Whatever.

Other stuff:

* Deebo Samuel showed contempt for the Eagles kickoff coverage unit by returning a kick from about six yards deep in his endzone. He ended up making a profit on the play, getting the ball to the 27. Patrick Johnson missed a diving attempt at about the twenty.

* Britain Covey was hit just as he made a fair catch. Somewhat of a risky venture on Covey's part. Josh Jobe got beat by the gunner down the sideline.

* On the Eagles first punt, there was a semi-high snap by Lovato. It feels like I'm calling out slightly off target snaps by him every week. Don't be surprised if the Eagles make a move here in the next year or two.

* The 49ers were called for a facemask on a kickoff and the Eagles got to start a drive at the 42. Hooray!

* On the Eagles PAT to make the score 21-13, Lovato's snap was a bit high and inside. Again, I'm seeing concerns with him.

* On the ensuing kickoff, Kenneth Gainwell made a shoestring tackle.

* The Eagles continue to use two deep returners on kickoffs. Boston Scott returned a couple and showed some quickness attacking upfield. However on his final return he tried to bounce it wide and got tripped up at about the fifteen. I hate these slow developing kick returns.

* The Eagles tried some trickery on their onside kick attempt late in the game. Elliott faked it and Mann kicked it. It was kind of a poor effort. (It didn't matter anyway, of course.) I hope we never have to try an onside kick at all but if we do, I think we're better off with Elliott handling it.

Okay, let's do this stupid Cowboys game.

Braden Mann punted once for an "average" of about 39.0 yards and 4.53 hangtime. The ball was not hit outside the numbers. Bryan Anger only punted once for Dallas. His average was about 48.0 yards with 4.82 hangtime. His punt was hit outside the numbers. The obvious "win" goes to the Cowboys, putting Mann's mark at 5-6 on the season. Opponents are now 7-6.

On the season, Mann is averaging about 46.7 yards and 4.52 hangtime with 59% at 4.5 seconds and 47% hit outside the numbers. Opponents are averaging about 47.0 yards and 4.53 hangtime with 61% at 4.5 seconds and 54% hit outside the numbers. Virtually identical.

The Eagles were ever-so-slightly quicker with their operation. Both teams were absolutely fine with this. But hell, it's only two punts.

Kickoffs were difficult to interpret. I did the best I could. Jake Elliott kicked off four times with an average of about 74.3 yards and 4.24 hangtime. Brandon Aubrey kicked off too damn many times. His eight kickoffs averaged about 74.5 yards and 4.36 hangtime. Several of them were hit extremely high, including one that was other-worldly. Impressive. Of course that stadium is notorious for the distance and hangtimes generated. Balls absolutely fly there, comparable to Denver. On the season, Elliott is averaging about 71.7 yards and 4.18 hangtime. Opponents are averaging about 71.9 yards and 4.21 hangtime. Again, very comparable.

The snap to foot times on placekicks were telling. The Eagles were their usual selves, coming in around 1.25 to 1.30, which is good. The Cowboys on the other hand were more deliberate, especially on longer attempts. Aubrey is notable deliberate to the ball (let's hope this costs them down the line) on his long attempts. Those were close to 1.45. Kicks can get blocked around the edge on attempts that are that slow. You have to have a special athlete, but it can be done.

Elliott made his two field goal attempts from distances with an expectancy of about 1.3. On the season he's 23-of-25 from distances with an expected value of about 18.6. That's 4.4 above standard, meaning he's earned the Eagles about 13.2 points. That's a great number for twenty-five attempts. His average attempt distance is 40.9. The league average is about 39.5. Aubrey's is only 37.3.

Elliott's Elo Kicking Rating improved to 2351, which is 1.06 standard deviations above the mean and puts him fourth in the league. The Rating of Eagles Opponents dramatically shot up to 2328, which wound rank 12th in the league. That's 0.69 standard deviations above the mean. The league average is 2284.

The Top Five Kickers are Hopkins (2359, +1.18); Folk (2358, +1.17); Butker (2353, +1.09), Elliott (2351, +1.06); and Zuerlein (2350, +1.04). The Bottom Five Kickers are A. Carlson (2203, -1.28); Grupe (2197, -1.37); Havrisik (2196, -1.39); Ryland (2164, -1.89); and Ammendola-PS (2118, -2.62). It looks like Houston's kicker is coming back so we'll probably never see Ammendola kick in the NFL ever again.

Other stuff:

* Once again, an opposing team showed contempt for the Eagles kick coverage by returning a kickoff from halfway in the endzone. The Eagles somehow managed to stop him at the 25-yard line so "no harm no foul". But it's an obvious indication that other teams don't respect us.

* Mann completed a fake punt pass for a first down. That's the first fake punt we've run in at least a decade. For all the hoopla about how aggressive Doug Pederson was, he was actually very conservative on specials, running only one fake in his tenure as head coach. It was a fake field goal against the Vikings. It did not work. Similarly Sirianni has also been conservative in his manner. This was his first "trick" play on special teams. Glad it worked. Disappointed that it didn't really mean squat in the big picture of the game.

* With two very long field goals made by the Cowboys, the Eagles have now somehow "allowed" 8 of the last 9 field goal attempts from 58 yards and beyond. A kick like that ought to be made about a third of the time. Instead, opponents almost never miss when they're absolutely trying to bomb them. It's beyond annoying.

* For what it's worth, I was impressed with an attempt made by Jalen Carter to block a PAT. I have a feeling he's a guy who's going to get a couple of them throughout his career.

* Britain Covey had a very good punt return down the sideline for about eighteen yards. He quietly and consistently makes yardage that other returners wouldn't be getting.

* Josh Jobe was flagged for running into the punt returner on a fair catch. I would say that was as much Braden Mann's fault as it was Jobe's. Though the hangtime was solid, that ball was hit a bit short and the returner just kept coming and coming. And contact inevitably ensued.

* And OF COURSE there's rain in the forecast against Seattle. Sunday will apparently be nice out there, but we're gonna have rain AGAIN on Monday night. Isn't it great that the league switched the dates?

Seattle game. Not a lot going on.

Braden Mann punted five times for the Eagles. He averaged about 43.8 yards and 4.45 hangtime. Two reached the magical 4.5 mark. Only one was hit outside the numbers. Michael Dickson only had five official punts but he actually punted six times, with one being negated by a penalty. His six "live" punts averaged about 53.7 yards and 4.88 hangtime, which is fantastic. He's very, very impressive. Five of the six hit the 4.5 second mark (and three were over 5.0 seconds), and five of the six were hit outside the numbers. Dickson was the obvious "winner" in the theoretical battle of punters. This puts Mann's mark at 5-7 on the year. The Eagles as a team are 6-8.

On the season Mann is averaging about 46.3 yards and 4.51 hangtime with 57% at 4.5 seconds and 43% hit outside the numbers. Opposing punters are averaging about 47.8 yards and 4.57 hangtime with 61% at 4.5 seconds and 54% hit outside the numbers. Slight advantage for the other team.

The snap to foot times on Eagles punts were as good as usual. Right around 2.0 seconds. Some slower, some quicker. But overall quite good. The Seahawks on the other hand were amazing. Right around 1.93 to 1.95 seconds on most every punt. So in addition to having an amazing leg which hits the ball nearly sixty yards with terrific hangtime and direction, Dickson also has amazingly quick mechanics. Truly impressive work. I hate the Seahawks so it's rather annoying watching them have a punter I really like. Oh well.

Jake Elliott kicked off five times. He averaged about 69.8 yards and 3.87 hangtime. The hangtime was hurt because of one line drive. Jason Myers kicked off five times for the Seahawks. The first kickoff was excluded from the data because it did not meet the requirements for inclusion. Basically it was an intentional short kick so including it would spoil the meaning of the statistics. Anyway, his four good kickoffs averaged about 69.5 yards and 4.16 hangtime.

On the season, Elliott is averaging about 71.6 yards and 4.16 hangtime. Opponents are averaging about 71.7 yards and 4.20 hangtime. Slight edge to the other team but almost identical, really.

The snap to foot times on place kicks were right around 1.30 for both teams. Solid. No issues.

Elliott made his only field goal attempt from a distance with about a 95% expectancy. On the season he's now 24-of-26 from distances with an expected value of about 19.5. This means he's made 4.5 more than expected, meaning he's earned the Eagles about 13.5 points. Very, very good. His average attempt distance is a robust 40.4 yards, about a yard longer than the league average. Elliott's Elo Kicking Rating improved ever so slightly to 2352, which ranks sixth in the league. That number is 1.14 standard deviations above the mean. The rating of Eagles Opponents improved to 2332, which would rank eleventh in the league. That's 0.80 standard deviations above the mean. The league average is 2284.

The Top Five Kickers after week 15 are Folk (2361, +1.29); Hopkins (2361, +1.29); Prater (2359, +1.25); Fairbairn (2356, +1.20); and Tucker (2353, +1.15). The Bottom Five kickers (with an asterisk) are Joseph (2217, -1.13); A Carlson (2209, -1.26); Grupe (2206, -1.31); Havrisik (2180, -1.75); and Ryland (2147, -2.30). The asterisk involves the exclusion of punters and running backs who have attempted field goals this year.

Other stuff (not much):

* As mentioned earlier, the opening kickoff by the Seahawks was a short pop-up kick which Boston Scott field and returned.

* The Seahawks were penalized for an illegal batting of the ball on their second punt of the night. It was an obvious infraction, as well as a stupid decision since there was never going to be an advantage to the Seahawks. What I found most annoying was Troy Aikman somehow find it the appropriate moment to **** about the officiating. WHAT THE HELL? Why is calling an obvious penalty something to be criticized? It is the announcers who influence the mind of the populace, and their criticizing good officiating poisons the waters. I like Aikman, but JFC.

* Britain had a couple of solid punt returns.

* Josh Jobe had a very good tackle on a punt.

* I continue to like the way the Eagles drop an extra blocker in the middle of the field on punt return plays.

* I still hate the Seahawks.

It is interesting to look at the ESPN rankings for punters.  Mann ranks 4th in Net Yards per Punt
1720536972_Screenshot2023-12-26at2_40_17PM.thumb.png.a32efafdac7c523b5f1bf0174b71c0a9.png

And 9th in Gross Average Yards per punt at 49.3.

695316424_Screenshot2023-12-26at2_41_48PM.thumb.png.ee312e182af48e34bed83d5a39815fdd.png

Covey has risen to #2 in Punt Returns

1880031745_Screenshot2023-12-26at2_44_43PM.thumb.png.6ac487e07eb5208eb74d867b539283c3.png

Derius Davis was an excellent Punt Returner for TCU last year in college.  He hasn't missed a beat since coming to the NFL.

1133628138_Screenshot2023-12-26at2_44_44PM.thumb.png.4a13654db4eff32fc1e937371ff75c6c.png

One hidden aspect about Covey's punt returning is his ratio of returns to fair catches. A lot of the top guys are fair catching roughly the same number as they're returning. But Covey is returning almost twice as many. He's said in the past that he's not afraid to return a punt that he knows he's only going to be able to get a couple of yards on. Every yard is important. But a lot of other guys are reluctant to do so because they don't want to spoil their average.

• Thanks 1

Giants game.

Braden Mann only punted twice. He averaged about 54.0 yards and 4.46 hangtime. One (barely) reached the 4.5 second mark. Neither was hit outside the numbers. Although one was negated by penalty, Giants punter Jamie Gillan punted five times. He averaged a pathetic 38.6 yards and 3.53 hangtime. Only one was hit outside the numbers. None reached the 4.5 second mark. Heck, only two of them reached 4.5 seconds. And one was below 3.0 seconds! Ugh. The obvious winner was Mann, putting his mark at 6-7 on the year.

On the season, Mann is averaging about 46.7 yards and 4.50 hangtime with 56% at the 4.5 second mark and 41% hit outside the numbers. Eagles Opponents are averaging about 47.0 yards and 4.48 hangtime with 58% at 4.5 seconds and 44% hit outside the numbers. Pretty much identical.

The snap to foot times for the Eagles were standard for them. Right around 2.0 seconds. One thing I've noticed over years of doing this is that the Giants are very often slower than average. They were downright deliberate. Or I guess I should say Gillan was. There were around 2.10 to 2.15 seconds on their punts. Supposedly Gillan has an injury of some sort, so maybe that explains why he was so slow and ineffective. Whatever.

Jake Elliott kicked off seven times. He averaged about 70.3 yards and 4.21 hangtime. Mason Crosby kicked off five times for the Giants. He only averaged about 60.4 yards (roughly to the five yard line) with a somewhat poor 3.91 hangtime. On the season, Elliott is averaging about 71.4 yards and 4.16 hangtime. Opponents are averaging about 70.9 yards and 4.18 hangtime.

The Eagles kicking operation was right around 1.25 to 1.30 seconds. The Giants were closer to 1.40 seconds on theirs.

Elliott made all four of his field goal attempts. Based on the distances involved, the standard expectancy was around 3.41. On the season, he's now 28-of-30 from distances with an expectancy of about 22.9. This means that he's made 5.1 more than "expected", meaning he's earned the Eagles about 15.3 points. Elliott's Elo Kicking Rating improved to 2359, which ranks fourth in the league. That's 1.19 standard deviations above the mean. The Rating of Eagles Opponents improved to 2338, which would rank tenth in the league if it were a single person rather than a collection of dudes. That is +0.84 standard deviations above the mean. The league average is 2286. The standard is 2200. Very few kickers are ever below the standard anymore. When the standard was created about twenty years ago, about half were above and half below. That's how much better kicking is now vs. then.

The Top Five Kickers are Prater (2366, +1.30); Folk (2362, +1.23); Hopkins (2361, +1.22); Elliott (2359, +1.19); and Zuerlein (2358, +1.17). The Bottom Five Kickers are A. Carlson (2222, -1.05); Joseph (2218, -1.12); Grupe (2206, -1.31); Havrisik (2168, -1.93); and Ryland (2150, -2.23).

Other stuff:

* Fantastic punt return by Britain Covey on the Giants first punt.

* Kenny Gainwell and Boston Scott converged to field a kickoff. It was one of those situations where when watching you're not exactly sure who has the ball. Anyway, Gainwell had a pretty decent return out to the 35 or so.

* On a very short field goal attempt, the Eagles had Jack Stoll shift from his wing position out wide. The Giants reacted properly so the Eagles took an intentional delay of game penalty, turning a potential 23-yard field goal into a 28-yard field goal.

* On another Giants punt, Covey came up very aggressively to field the ball on a high bounce. He would up gaining about ten yards. Figuring the ball would probably have bounced for another five yards, his quick thinking probably gained about fifteen net yards. Hidden yardage, man. (I think we all know that Greg Ward would have let that ball roll.)

* On the PAT to go up 17-3, Lovato's snap was off the mark. Mann had to kind of dig it out. I'm pretty sure almost no one but me actually looks at Lovato's snaps so it's not really been widely noted. But I gotta say he's been pretty shaky this year. Nothing dramatic of course, but he's really all over the place. I'll say it again. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles make a chance next year...or the year after.

* Covey muffed a punt and fell on the ball. Or perhaps I should say that he quickly picked it up. I might have preferred that he actually fall on it. Fortunately he got it cleanly. But what if he hadn't?

* Practice squad call-up Brandon Smith combined with Sydney Brown to make a tackle on a punt.

* Jalen Carter was flagged for offside on a Giants punt, turning a 4th and 6 in to a 4th and 1, which they subsequently converted. He didn't get off the field in time after having hustled to the Giants sideline on the third down play. I guess he didn't run as hard as he ought to across the field. Bad play.

* The worst special teams play of the year happened on the opening kickoff of the second half, as Olamide Zacchaeus inexplicably plowed into Boston Scott causing a fumble which the Giants recovered. The game seemed headed to a blowout and then, bang, suddenly it's a contest again. Just an awful, embarrassing play.

* For the rest of the game, the Eagles fair caught all of Mason Crosby's short kickoffs.

* I didn't love the snap by Lovato on the final Elliott field goal. Kinda high and inside.

* Those were quietly two pretty darn clutch field goals by Elliott in the fourth quarter. 44 and 43 yards are ones you expect to make but they're still kinda in that range where you might miss every now and then. But he drilled them both down the middle. Kudos. That final Giants drive would have had a completely different feel if they were only down five rather than eight. Completely different.

• Like 1

Interesting take by Jimmy Kempski

Eagles' Britain Covey is the best punt returner in the NFL this season

He correctly includes the impact of Covey's low rate of Fair Catches.  The only thing that is missing is the proportions that unfielded/downed punts and Touchbacks are.  By my count the Eagles have been punted to 54 times, plus one having been nulified by a penalty ... the Jalen Carter penalty this week.  Covey has 28 returns and 15 Fair Catches.  There have been 3 Touchbacks and 6 punts that have gone out of bounds.  That leaves only 2 punts that hit the ground and rolled.  Pretty amazing.

Cardinals game stuff. Not a lot in this one.

Braden Mann only punted twice. (The Eagles haven't punted all that much this year, which is actually a sign that the offense consistently moves the ball. And that's a good thing.) He averaged about 58.0 yards and 4.36 hangtime. One had a hangtime of at least 4.5 seconds. Neither were hit outside the numbers. The Cardinals never punted. So this is counted as a "tie" for me, meaning Mann's mark on the season is 6-7-1. Opponents are at 8-7-1.

On the season, Mann is averaging 47.2 yards and 4.50 hangtime with 56% at 4.5 seconds and 39% hit outside the numbers. Opponents are averaging about 47.0 yards and 4.48 hangtime with 58% at 4.5 seconds and 44% hit outside the numbers. Pretty much almost identical.

The snap to foot times on the two Mann punts were a tick slower than usual. I got them at around 2.05 seconds. YMMV.

Jake Elliott kicked off six times. He averaged about 66.5 yards and 4.21 hangtime. Matt Prater had six deep kickoffs for the Cardinals. He averaged about 70.8 yards and 4.34 hangtime. On the season, Elliott is averaging about 71.1 yards and 4.17 hangtime. Opponents are averaging about 70.9 yards and 4.20 hangtime. Again, pretty much almost identical.

The operational time on place kicks were pretty standard. Right around 1.30 for both teams. Maybe a tick faster for the Eagles on some and maybe a tick slower for the Cardinals on some. But both teams were fine.

Elliott made his only field goal attempt from a distance with an expectancy of about 75%. On the season, he's 29-of-31 from distances with an expectancy of about 23.66. He's made 5.34 more than expected, meaning he's earned the Eagles about 16.02 points. His average attempt distance is about 39.7 yards. His Elo Kicking Rating improved to 2362, which ranks fourth in the league. That's about 1.25 standard deviations above the mean. The Rating of Eagles Opponents improved to 2340, which would rank eighth in the league. That's about 0.89 standard deviations above the mean. The fact that kickers against the Eagles would rank in the top quarter of the league is indicative of the Eagles having a string of bad luck. Especially when you consider they play games on grass in the northeast. They're not playing all their games in a dome where kicking is notoriously easy. Yet opponents still kick great against the Eagles. It's sickening. Anyway. The league average is 2286.

The Top Five Kickers are Folk/Prater (2368, +1.35); Fairbairn (2364, +1.28); Elliott (2362, +1.25); and Hopkins (2361, +1.23). The Bottom Five Kickers are A Carlson/Moody (2228, -0.97); Grupe (2218, -1.13); Havrisik-waived (2168, -1.96); and Ryland (2135, -2.50).

Other stuff:

* Lovato made a tackle on a punt.

* Patrick Johnson made a tackle on a punt.

* Ringo and Nolan Smith combined on a kickoff tackle.

* The Cardinals tried a surprise onside kick late in the game which Eli Ricks smartly came up to field. Good play by him. Somehow the Cardinals were flagged for offside even though they weren't. Unless the call was because the kicker's plant foot was across the line on contact, which is something that is always allowed. Super weird call.

* When the other team moves the ball at will and is never forced to punt, it makes for a game without much special teams activity. It's also not fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's get this over with. The Giants debacle.

Braden Mann punted four times with an average of about 49.5 yards and 4.50 seconds. Two hit the 4.5 second mark. Two were hit outside the numbers. Jamie Gillan punted five times for the Giants. He was amazingly consistent. Almost every punt went the same distance with the same hangtime. Amazing. He averaged about 44.2 yards and 4.48 hangtime. Only one was at 4.5 or more. Four were hit outside the numbers. The better statistical day goes to Mann, putting his mark at 7-7-1 on the season. Opponents finished 8-8-1.

On the season, Mann averaged 47.4 yards and 4.50 hangtime with 56% at 4.5 seconds and 40% hit outside the numbers. Opponents averaged 46.7 yards and 4.48 hangtime with 55% at 4.5 seconds and 56% hit outside the numbers. Slight edge to the Eagles, I'd say.

Snap to foot times once again favored the Eagles. They were right around 2.0 seconds on the ones I was able to time. The Giants were around 2.1 with one of them closer to 2.2. I'm still amazed at how the Giants have been "slower than average" for about two decades straight. How does that not get exploited? Or fixed?

Jake Elliott kicked off three times. I did the best I could. It looked to me like he averaged about 70.3 yards and 4.16 hangtime. Mason Crosby is washed. He kicked off six times with an average of about 62.7 yards and 3.95 hangtime. On the season, Elliott averaged 71.1 yards and 4.17 hangtime. Opponents averaged about 70.3 yards and 4.18 hangtime. Overall advantage to the Eagles.

The snap to foot times on place kicks for the Eagles was around 1.30 seconds. The Giants were around 1.40.

Elliott made his only field goal attempt. It was from a distance with about 86% expectancy. On the season, he was 30-of-32 from distances with an expectancy of about 24.5. This means he earned the Eagles about 16.5 points above expected value. His average attempt distance was 39.5. Elliott's Elo Kicking Rating improved to 2363, which ranks third. It's 1.35 standard deviations above the mean. The league average is 2286. The rating of Eagles Opponents dropped to 2320, which would rank 15th. That's 0.60 standard deviations above the mean.

The Top Five Kickers at the end of the regular season were Fairbairn (2369, +1.46); Folk (2368, +1.44); Elliott (2363, +1.35); Hopkins (2361, +1.32); and Tucker (2359, +1.28). The Bottom Five kickers were Grupe (2219, -1.17); Crosby (2218, -1.19); A Carlson (2209, -1.34); Moody (2208, -1.36); and Ryland (2138, -2.59). Four of those were rookies, three of whom were drafted.

Other stuff (not much):

* Patrick Johnson made a tackle on a punt.

* Britain Covey inexplicably allowed a punt to bounce and roll for seven yards. That's Greg Ward territory.

* Excellent play by Josh Jobe to bat a ball from going into the endzone for a touchback. The Eagles ended up downing it at the three. The Giants were offside on the play but it was not called.

If we lose tonight, it might take me months before I get around to doing the game. That's kinda how I roll.