What is the point of winning?

wyote

Many are more afraid of the status quo than the unknown, because they are confident that what they'll get without change won't be nearly good enough.

• Thanks 1

Many are talking out of their buttholes because they don't know nearly as much as they pretend to about who's responsible for what but they don't care because they're starving for blood to satisfy their childish rage. 

It's all just a temper tantrum. Everyone on the internet who talks like they could coach or manage an NFL team are FOS. 

You don't always get what you want. Get over it. Sports is hard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Many want change because they’re not afraid of the unknown, even with the uncertainty that comes with the unknown. 

Everything is "unknown" until it happens. The arguments I am seeing repeatedly are embracing the concept that the Eagles aren't capable of winning a postseason game this year. We aren't even through October yet.  Mathematics and probability are interesting for discussion purposes when used to prognosticate sports. But neither has any actual effect on the game. So a person can say it's not likely this team "will go anywhere" this year and people will find that prediction credible. It is not, however, truth at this time. It's merely a prediction because there are no "knowns" that haven't happened yet. 

In other words, these people are afraid of the unknown. They are afraid this team might succeed too much now, and believe that might hurt their future. They're afraid to see the current plan through. They're afraid that the people responsible for the plan can't fix any current problems. They're afraid that they will only add more problems. 

All I can say is that I don't care if we pick 1st or 32nd. We are not "out of it" yet this year and I want to see us fight the whole way.

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

In other words, these people are afraid of the unknown. They are afraid this team might succeed too much now, and believe that might hurt their future. They're afraid to see the current plan through. They're afraid that the people responsible for the plan can't fix any current problems. They're afraid that they will only add more problems. 

Why would people be afraid that this team may succeed now? Surely that's what we all want for our team? I know it's what I want. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why would people be afraid that this team may succeed now? Surely that's what we all want for our team? I know it's what I want. 

You have stated it yourself that you are afraid Howie will keep his job and believe that will hurt this team's future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

You have stated it yourself that you are afraid Howie will keep his job and believe that will hurt this team's future.

Yeah I'm afraid of that sure. But if this team succeeds then I'm put my hands up and say I got it wrong with Howie. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'm afraid of that sure. But if this team succeeds then I'm put my hands up and say I got it wrong with Howie. 

And if Howie were gone, would you start actually supporting the team or would you start undermining the new guy immediately? 

That's where we've got to give the Wentz haters credit. They waited almost two seasons to start trying to ruin his career. 

Watching the Bengals-Browns game today, I was wondering, why are these guys playing to win? If everyone thinks the Eagles should just be rolling over for a draft pick, what about teams like this? 

Imagine the NFL if each year only about 8 teams actually tried to win. What an awful game it would be. 

2 hours ago, wyote said:

And if Howie were gone, would you start actually supporting the team or would you start undermining the new guy immediately? 

What are you even talking about? I support this team as I've said many times. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What are you even talking about? I support this team as I've said many times. 

In your own way, you do. 

I'm glad I'm not on any of your teams, though. 

Just now, wyote said:

In your own way, you do. 

I'm glad I'm not on any of your teams, though. 

Oh pipe down. 

We are all fans. We are all entitled to our own views. Just because I don't think Howie is a good GM doesn't mean I'm not a fan. That in fact is a ridiculous thing to suggest. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh pipe down. 

We are all fans. We are all entitled to our own views. Just because I don't think Howie is a good GM doesn't mean I'm not a fan. That in fact is a ridiculous thing to suggest. 

Oh stop being defensive.

I'm not denying you're a fan. I'm denying you're a very good one. You have a loser's attitude. Fix the attitude, you won't have to be so defensive. 

1 minute ago, wyote said:

Oh stop being defensive.

I'm not denying you're a fan. I'm denying you're a very good one. You have a loser's attitude. Fix the attitude, you won't have to be so defensive. 

A losers attitude? What because I don't rate our GM. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A losers attitude? What because I don't rate our GM. 

Rate him? Whatever. 

Who else would you like to be fired, benched, cut, injured, or whatever? You interested in tearing down any other part of the organization, or just the one? Besides that Howie wouldn't be fired, what other fears do you have if the Eagles win too many games? 

Just now, wyote said:

Rate him? Whatever. 

Who else would you like to be fired, benched, cut, injured, or whatever? You interested in tearing down any other part of the organization, or just the one? Besides that Howie wouldn't be fired, what other fears do you have if the Eagles win too many games? 

You talk utter rubbish. 

I don't think Howie is a good GM. I'm entitled to my opinion. Why do I have to want players to be benched or others fired? I think Howie has done a bad job. That's my opinion. I'm not the only one. 

49 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You talk utter rubbish. 

I don't think Howie is a good GM. I'm entitled to my opinion. Why do I have to want players to be benched or others fired? I think Howie has done a bad job. That's my opinion. I'm not the only one. 

Who says you're the only one? Who says you're not entitled to your opinion? 

But as for opinions, actually, let's clear this up one more time. 

Neither you nor I nor anyone else on TATE knows jack poop all of what went on when the decisions that you don't like were made. We don't know who said what, who advocated for what, who asserted themselves, who compromised, who put their foot down.... We don't even know who was in the room, who was on the phone, who was sitting next to whom or what the snacks were. You can pretend to be as naive as you want about the GM title - but you know that Howie's not consistently defying Lurie, Pederson, or Schwartz at least. 

Even if we did know all that, it would be because of some kind of organization breakdown, and it still wouldn't be any of our business. 

We're not executives on the team. We don't know and we're not supposed to know anything about any of that. It's not and probably never will be our job to decide who's fired or hired or to know why those decisions are made. It's not our business. I don't even know crap like that about the places where I actually work. I don't go around saying which of my coworkers I think should be fired. 

We're fans. We have only the tiniest of roles -- and what is that role? Ask yourself, is there any contribution, even the tiniest little one, that you can make to this team playing better? What is it? Because that's your duty and not one thing else. 

So you've got an opinion. Great. Whatever. Good for you. I'll nominate you for the having an opinion ribbon.  

But as long as he's a member of the Eagles, I will support and defend him against fans like you, as well as fans of other teams who come here to try to make trouble about how much they think (or pretend to think) he sucks. The day he's fired, or quits, or dies, or whatever, he'll mean almost nothing to me, and I'll fully support whoever the new guy is, though I will still be grateful for the role Howie played in winning the 2017 Super Bowl and I'll have a little loyalty to him for that. 

27 minutes ago, wyote said:

But as long as he's a member of the Eagles, I will support and defend him against fans like you

So let me get this right. You will support and defend Howie because he's the GM of this team? That's it? So you will defend any player and any coach on this team no matter what?

Ok well good for you. Think you are in a class on your own there. 

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So let me get this right. You will support and defend Howie because he's the GM of this team? That's it? So you will defend any player and any coach on this team no matter what?

Support is not the same as defend. Also, I'll only promise to support them about things relevant to football and only as long as they're Eagles. 

So when are you applying for an executive position at the Eagles? 

1 minute ago, wyote said:

Support is not the same as defend. Also, I'll only promise to support them about things relevant to football and only as long as they're Eagles. 

So when are you applying for an executive position at the Eagles? 

No no you said you would support and defend. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No no you said you would support and defend. 

Against fans like you and fans of other teams, yes. 

Defend more broadly, it depends. 

What position are you applying for? Or am I being disrespectful in assuming you don't already hold one? 

1 hour ago, wyote said:

Against fans like you and fans of other teams, yes. 

Your point makes no sense. I'm no going to continue this pointless debate with you. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Your point makes no sense. I'm no going to continue this pointless debate with you. 

That breaks my heart, of course. 

I guess this means you won't be open to considering me as Howie's replacement? 

Here's Spads contributing to the kitten-ification of the Eagles fanbase

And when you have a gunslinger, you live with the moments where you say, "What are you doing on that throwwwwwww?" And when your gunslinger does what Wentz did on Thursday night, leading the Eagles from an 11-point deficit to a victory with two fourth-quarter touchdown passes that were just so improbable and exhilarating, you say, "This guy is going to give me a heart attack!!!!"

is that what "you" do? 

This is a big problem with the management of this team. They've been trying to tame the fan base for years. There's only thing this fan base will respect, and that's abuse. The team needs to say something like, "Wentz is the QB. If you don't like it, go cheer for someone else." People will whine, and they will cry, and they will ultimately fall in line. Trying to nurse them has not worked for two decades, and it won't start working now. 

What is the goal of any NFL team?   It's to win the super bowl. And to get a shot at the super bowl you have to have to qualify for the playoffs.

Teams and organization don't give a flying f---- who the fans and media think will win the super bowl, because, up until this year, they think dallas, new orleans, baltimore or new england were  always the favorites.

Teams play to qualify for the playoffs, whether it's a wild card or winning a poor division.  And the NFL is a long season where each and every weekend, the outlook for the playoffs changes. Some teams struggle in the first half of the year and are written off, other teams come out of the gate fast, only to fade in the last 6 weeks of the season.

Teams are affected by injuries, new coaching staffs and new systems, slow integration of new players and trades and signing of players to replace injured or released players.

The eagles, again, have suffered a ridiculous amount of injuries, especially on the offensive line & skill positions. And fans who dismiss that are the knee jerk kind of fans.  The media are even worse.

Teams like the eagles, 49ers and a couple others have been crippled by injuries.....the 49ers went to the super bowl last year....do they all of a sudden suck too?  

When offenses, like the eagles are so banged up, their ability to score, move the ball effectively, gain field position, and control the ball and the time is greatly hampered, which puts loads of pressure on their defense.  And the eagles defense has not been able to carry the team. And the offense has other issues besides injuries.

This 10 day rest until the dallas game and the 14 days rest after the dallas game may be more important than any other time this season.  They need to beat Dallas with the same lineup as they used against the Giants and give the injured guys 3+ weeks of just healing.

The trade deadline is coming up and hopefully,  the eagles can obtain a LB and some other defensive help.  So with guys coming back from injury and maybe a trade or two, it just might give them some stability and give them a chance against a tough 2nd half schedule.

Fans whine about the GM, the draft and the division.....but if the eagles can get healthy, they can win the division and get a home playoff game.  Yet, in typical philly fan fashion, you get the whiners who want to throw in the towel for draft position.....LMAO.