What is the point of winning?

wyote

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I thought McNair did well under Fisher.

I always thought it was a lot more McNair than Fisher. After him? Nada. 

Just now, PoconoDon said:

I always thought it was a lot more McNair than Fisher. After him? Nada. 

Maybe McNair would have been like Mahomes under Reid ... who knows?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 11:56 PM, brkmsn said:

Yes, I made a prediction that the Eagles would be a top 10 team (think power rankings)  by the end of December. If they win the division, they won't be a bottom seed. I agree with your overall point, but I also believe the law of averages can easily be a factor by the end of December. As you know, right now this team has had a ton of injuries, although most of them aren't season ending. The 49ers have had a ton of Injuries. Dallas has been hit pretty good. The Giants lost their best player. Then there are some of the NFL's top teams in 2020 that are playing with pretty healthy rosters. A lot can change in 2 months. The weather can change outcomes. We could see bigger crowds at the end of the year which could bring HFA back into play... There's still a lot that can change. Remember in 2009 when the Broncos started 6-0 (with Dawkins :furious: ) and were hyped up --- then ended the season 8-8? 

But a prediction isn't a fact. 

For years? Did you already forget about 2017? Heck in 2018, half the EMB was all "In Howie we trust." Now all of a sudden they've been more than patient, waiting for him to do something ... lol.

I'm fed up of fans actually hoping we lose because they don't think this team can win a Super Bowl. In 2017 - pretty much nobody gave us any chance. In 2018, after that Saints blow out, everybody was saying we sucked beyond belief. We got to the playoffs and if Brooks hadn't of got injured, I think we beat the Saints and then who knows after that. 2019 - If Wentz/McCown hadn't of got hurt we may well have beaten the Hawks.

This team is flawed, but the O has been crippled by injuries and starting to get players back. We almost knocked off the Steelers and Ravens despite that and Schwartz has proven he can keep the points down at the end of the season/in the playoffs. They are up against it, but if they get healthy and add a smart cheap LB or DB in a trade then this team can be dangerous if it gets in.

I have been really frustrated at times with Howie (JJAW, not addressing the D properly over the past 5 years, the Hurts pick), but the hatred on the board for him has become silly. He has made some bad moves, but it's crazy people aren't giving him credit for some of his good picks (Sanders, Mailata, Goedert etc) and how about picking up Fulgham?

• Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 7:39 PM, brkmsn said:

Andy Reid coached here for 13 years and we never got to the point where we hoped this team would end up. Halfway through the 13th year, I was fine with moving on. It seemed this guy was always going to lose big or important games by making the same mistakes over and over. When he began coaching for KC, I mocked him for being the same old Andy Reid that couldn't manage the clock or value running plays. I was sure he would never win a Super Bowl because when facing a good coach, he gets out-coached repeatedly.

I guess I was wrong. It seems that not only did he win a SB, but he changed somewhat (probably learned from his past mistakes). Weird ... Who knew that was even possible?

And sometimes, it takes a change of scenery to get the kick in the ass needed. Howie needs that kick in the ass. 

While standing in front of the Novacare exit doors. 

On 11/2/2020 at 12:16 AM, wyote said:

Benjie Solak at BGN is apparently another winner among us

Did I miss some kind of memo explaining that Eagles fans have to get castrated? 

I don't understand why people with that mentality even watch regular season games at all. None of them mean anything. Don't come telling me about some great story about some memorable game experience you shared with a friend or family member other than the Super Bowl LII. Don't try to justify ever attending a regular season game. I mean you would have to be seriously stupid to pay that kind of money to be a part of something so meaningless. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

RE: to win or lose the rest of this year.  Question: what would you rather have as a fan...a 5-10-1 record, win the division, lose in Round 1 of playoffs and end up with, at best, pick 19....or...lose out, see some "real" changes made, and have a top 5-10 pick?

Which is better for the long term, next year and beyond?

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

RE: to win or lose the rest of this year.  Question: what would you rather have as a fan...a 5-10-1 record, win the division, lose in Round 1 of playoffs and end up with, at best, pick 19....or...lose out, see some "real" changes made, and have a top 5-10 pick?

I would take playoff football any day of the week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

That is a fan and media question.  But owners, GMs and coaches don't look at things that way.  They WANT to make the playoffs regardless of how they do it or the odds of them winning it all.  Fans and media in philly should realize, nobody picked the eagles to win it all in 2017.....ESPECIALLY when Wentz got hurt.  Top seed home underdogs?  2nd round home underdogs?

Super bowl underdogs?  I can guaranteed you, Lurie, Roseman or Pedersen doesn't give a f---- about their "chances" in playoffs, they WANT to be there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

If you could absolutely guarantee that the top 5-10 pick would actually turn out to be a much better player than 19, and that the "real" changes would be improvements, then maybe I'd consider taking some losses. 

But there are no guarantees, so you're trading losses for dreams. I'm not going to do that. 

I wrestled in high school. I wasn't great but a guy in my weight class and grade was 2x state champion, so I got to go against him day after day in practice. I never beat him, but I got close a few times. That guy was a champion for several reasons, but one was that he just never quit. It didn't matter if he was down on points and exhausted and just about to be pinned, he just seemed to fight harder and harder. There was no quit in him. 

Why not be like him? 

We have enough skinny little computer programmer types with big heads trying to figure out the hacks. Why not be a man with a heart who fights? 

I can't get over the irony of this pathetic whiney little fan base identifying with Rocky. Makes me sick. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wyote said:

If you could absolutely guarantee that the top 5-10 pick would actually turn out to be a much better player than 19, and that the "real" changes would be improvements, then maybe I'd consider taking some losses. 

This is absolutely right and fair. There's no guarantees that the player in the top 10 will be a much better player than at 19. I guess there's a better chance but even then it probably isn't a huge difference. 

But to me the real issue lies in the no changes approach. We know Howie is a disaster so we should surely change there? I mean we don't know that we would get his replacement right straight away but surely that's not a reason to keep him? We know Doug's offense is stale and lacks creation so should we not look to replace him in that aspect? Again we may not get the right OC / play caller straight away but is that reason to carry on as we are?

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is absolutely right and fair. There's no guarantees that the player in the top 10 will be a much better player than at 19. I guess there's a better chance but even then it probably isn't a huge difference. 

But to me the real issue lies in the no changes approach. We know Howie is a disaster so we should surely change there? I mean we don't know that we would get his replacement right straight away but surely that's not a reason to keep him? We know Doug's offense is stale and lacks creation so should we not look to replace him in that aspect? Again we may not get the right OC / play caller straight away but is that reason to carry on as we are?

If "we" know all that, then the changes will be made even if we win, right? So why give up? 

1 minute ago, wyote said:

If "we" know all that, then the changes will be made even if we win, right? So why give up? 

I disagree on that. I think if this team wins the division and makes the play offs then people will be fooled. People will be lauded for a great achievement after a rough first half of the year and things will be overlooked. I may well be wrong but that's how I see it. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I disagree on that. I think if this team wins the division and makes the play offs then people will be fooled. People will be lauded for a great achievement after a rough first half of the year and things will be overlooked. I may well be wrong but that's how I see it. 

"People" will be fooled means "we" don't know the things you say we do.

But you're literally saying you want some people gone so badly that you want the Eagles to lose. 

Think about what that says about you. 

You disgust me. 

30 minutes ago, wyote said:

"People" will be fooled means "we" don't know the things you say we do.

But you're literally saying you want some people gone so badly that you want the Eagles to lose. 

Think about what that says about you. 

You disgust me. 

I didn't actually say that. At no point did I actually say in my post that I want the Eagles to lose. I'm just arguing why it may be necessary. 

45 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I didn't actually say that. At no point did I actually say in my post that I want the Eagles to lose. I'm just arguing why it may be necessary. 

So you're saying it's "necessary" but you don't want it? 

Whatever you have to tell yourself man. 

31 minutes ago, wyote said:

So you're saying it's "necessary" but you don't want it? 

Whatever you have to tell yourself man. 

I'm saying, this team can't stick with the current set up. Ideally they'd make the play offs and make wholesale changes right?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm saying, this team can't stick with the current set up. Ideally they'd make the play offs and make wholesale changes right?

Ideally they win the Super Bowl. Short of that, ideally they win as many games as they can. 

Regardless of what actually happens, I'm not going to pretend to know what changes need to be made. If I knew how to run an NFL franchise successfully, I'd be doing it. 

8 hours ago, wyote said:

Ideally they win the Super Bowl. Short of that, ideally they win as many games as they can. 

Regardless of what actually happens, I'm not going to pretend to know what changes need to be made. If I knew how to run an NFL franchise successfully, I'd be doing it. 

Well that's not true. To run an NFL franchise you need something called money...

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well that's not true. To run an NFL franchise you need something called money...

I'm sure if I could run a team as you think you can someone would hire me. I'd work my way up of course, winning lots of championships at lower levels. 

That's what you should do. With all your answers, you could be a head coach and GM. Maybe the greatest of all time. 

9 hours ago, wyote said:

I'm sure if I could run a team as you think you can someone would hire me. I'd work my way up of course, winning lots of championships at lower levels. 

That's what you should do. With all your answers, you could be a head coach and GM. Maybe the greatest of all time. 

What a ridiculous thing to say. We all have opinions. Some of them are right, some of them are wrong. What a stupid argument to make. If we aren't here to discuss our views and opinions then why are we on a forum?

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What a ridiculous thing to say. We all have opinions. Some of them are right, some of them are wrong. What a stupid argument to make. If we aren't here to discuss our views and opinions then why are we on a forum?

I would've assumed it's because we're fans of the team, but apparently it's to demonstrate how much we know about how to run a football team, if not to whine about people not making the decisions that (in * ahem* hindsight) we claim we would have. 

1 hour ago, wyote said:

I would've assumed it's because we're fans of the team, but apparently it's to demonstrate how much we know about how to run a football team, if not to whine about people not making the decisions that (in * ahem* hindsight) we claim we would have. 

We discuss our thoughts and views surely? We are fans of the team but there are plenty of fans out there that don't contribute on forums. I mean are you saying you don't have any views on what is going wrong? On what the team needs to do better? On what the future looks like for this team?

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We discuss our thoughts and views surely? We are fans of the team but there are plenty of fans out there that don't contribute on forums. I mean are you saying you don't have any views on what is going wrong? On what the team needs to do better? On what the future looks like for this team?

I'm an enlisted man here, not a general.