What is the point of winning?

wyote

On 11/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, birdman#12 said:

That is a fan and media question.  But owners, GMs and coaches don't look at things that way.  They WANT to make the playoffs regardless of how they do it or the odds of them winning it all.  Fans and media in philly should realize, nobody picked the eagles to win it all in 2017.....ESPECIALLY when Wentz got hurt.  Top seed home underdogs?  2nd round home underdogs?

Super bowl underdogs?  I can guaranteed you, Lurie, Roseman or Pedersen doesn't give a f---- about their "chances" in playoffs, they WANT to be there.

Of course players, owners, GMs and coaches don't look at things that way...as they shouldn't.  But, we as fans can look at it however we want.  Objectively, looking at this team and the way they've played thus far, they not only would stand no chance in the playoffs, they wouldn't even deserve to be there.  I'm basing that on how they've look through 9 games.  Now, if they turn things around and start to play better and are actually competitive over the next 5 games against quality opponents, then we might have something.

But, as of right now and the way they look, give me the losing season and the higher draft pick.  That doesn't mean I'm actively rooting for them to lose, it's just an objective choice I would make right now with the information I have.  

On 11/17/2020 at 1:26 AM, wyote said:

If you could absolutely guarantee that the top 5-10 pick would actually turn out to be a much better player than 19, and that the "real" changes would be improvements, then maybe I'd consider taking some losses. 

But there are no guarantees, so you're trading losses for dreams. I'm not going to do that. 

I wrestled in high school. I wasn't great but a guy in my weight class and grade was 2x state champion, so I got to go against him day after day in practice. I never beat him, but I got close a few times. That guy was a champion for several reasons, but one was that he just never quit. It didn't matter if he was down on points and exhausted and just about to be pinned, he just seemed to fight harder and harder. There was no quit in him. 

Why not be like him? 

We have enough skinny little computer programmer types with big heads trying to figure out the hacks. Why not be a man with a heart who fights? 

I can't get over the irony of this pathetic whiney little fan base identifying with Rocky. Makes me sick. 

Absolutely no guarantees.  Nothing is ever guaranteed in anything.  The team shouldn't quit, absolutely not.  But, as an objective fan basing an opinion on what I've seen so far with this team, I would rather suck it up now with the losses and get the higher draft pick.  Doesn't guarantee a better player, but it improves our chances of landing one.  Howie Roseman is much better drafting earlier than later (Danny Watkins, Marcus Smith, Nelson Agholor, Andre Dillard - all drafted in the range we'd be drafting in if we make the playoffs vs. Lane Johnson, Brandon Graham, Fletcher Cox when drafting earlier).

If we turn it around and are competitive/pull out some wins again more than 1 of the next 5 opponents (would the Browns really count? lol), maybe the outlook will change.  But if we continue to play like utter garbage and get crushed by Seattle, Green Bay, Saints and Cards...what's the point of making the playoffs?  We'd have literally no shot and it would just worsen our draft position.  

56 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Of course players, owners, GMs and coaches don't look at things that way...as they shouldn't.  But, we as fans can look at it however we want.  Objectively, looking at this team and the way they've played thus far, they not only would stand no chance in the playoffs, they wouldn't even deserve to be there.  I'm basing that on how they've look through 9 games.  Now, if they turn things around and start to play better and are actually competitive over the next 5 games against quality opponents, then we might have something.

But, as of right now and the way they look, give me the losing season and the higher draft pick.  That doesn't mean I'm actively rooting for them to lose, it's just an objective choice I would make right now with the information I have.  

As a fan, I just can't get my head around embracing a losing season for a higher f------ draft pick. It's not a choice, it's a result of performance.

No, they don't look like they can turn it around.....but it can turn around in a game or two.  And these next 5 games will prove if they can. 

How can you embrace a losing season for higher draft pick but claim you don't want them to lose?  

And BTW, they deserve to make the playoffs if they win that division, lousy as it is. That't the structure that the NFL set up and they did that along with wild card teams so that teams who struggle in the first half of the year for whatever reason, can turn it around and get a shot at the playoffs.  Nobody in the NFCE is getting a WC slot.  Agree with it or not, doesn't matter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

As a fan, I just can't get my head around embracing a losing season for a higher f------ draft pick. It's not a choice, it's a result of performance.

No, they don't look like they can turn it around.....but it can turn around in a game or two.  And these next 5 games will prove if they can. 

How can you embrace a losing season for higher draft pick but claim you don't want them to lose?  

And BTW, they deserve to make the playoffs if they win that division, lousy as it is. That't the structure that the NFL set up and they did that along with wild card teams so that teams who struggle in the first half of the year for whatever reason, can turn it around and get a shot at the playoffs.  Nobody in the NFCE is getting a WC slot.  Agree with it or not, doesn't matter.

My heart wants them to win, my head says "just lose, it'll be better for us in the long run".  I get that people don't want to "give up" and hope for losses, but what will it accomplish to win a crap division at 5-10-1 or, at best 6-9-1, then lose in Round 1?  The only thing that accomplishes is a lower draft slot, that's it.  This team, as it has looked thus far, stands absolutely 0 chance to legitimately compete in the playoffs.   They're completely dysfunctional in all 3 phases of the game.  I mean, they're terrible, point blank.  If the rest of the division wasn't just as bad, we'd already be talking draft at this point.

It's cool to be an eternal optimist and hope they win every week, even if they're 0-15 heading into Week 17.  When Sunday comes, I always revert to my heart, which wants them to win.  Then after the dust settles, my head takes over and applies rationale based on what I saw happen on Sunday.

I don't know if they can turn it around. Every now and then weird things happen. 

But I know they're not going to turn it around if the fan base's attitude infects them.