Reports: Jalen Hurts getting 1st team reps, Lurie pushing to see Hurts

D-Shiznit

Rookie Jalen Hurts has been getting first team reps at quarterback ahead of the Philadelphia Eagles' Monday Night Football game against the Seattle Seahawks, sources told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30412550/sources-philadelphia-eagles-rookie-jalen-hurts-getting-first-team-reps-qb

Wentz is still expected to start, but this coupled with Doug's PC the other day makes you wonder how long of a leash Carson has.

• Like 2

Maybe this is just Doug's most recent tactic, taking the next step trying to light a fire under Wentz's arse.  Unless Doug is receiving a directive from above that he needs to sit Wentz if he continues to crap the bed.  It would be interesting to see if Hurts would have any success but honestly between the sub par play of the OL due to the injuries and continual shuffling and the crap play calling (on top of being a rookie who has never started an NFL game), I wouldn't hold my breath.  

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Maybe this is just Doug's most recent tactic, taking the next step trying to light a fire under Wentz's arse.  Unless Doug is receiving a directive from above that he needs to sit Wentz if he continues to crap the bed.  It would be interesting to see if Hurts would have any success but honestly between the sub par play of the OL due to the injuries and continual shuffling and the crap play calling (on top of being a rookie who has never started an NFL game), I wouldn't hold my breath.  

If anything Doug he being told he must play Wentz due to the contract.  That's how Howie thinks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weko said:

If anything Doug he being told he must play Wentz due to the contract.  That's how Howie thinks.

Just because Howie paid Wentz a fortune does not mean that Wentz is in any shape to play football yet along win. Enough is enough. Wentz has been shell shocked and any healthy QB who can at least run for his life is better than comatose scarecrow with a 100 miles stare. I personally would like to see what Hurtz can do throwing the ball. Maybe then defenses will not zero on him running the ball so much, and he will be more effective running the ball.

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

One more thought...Philly Voice had an interesting article saying how Doug is ready to move on and is actively doing things to get fired.  Maybe he's sees the bleak future with no young talent, Howie's league worst drafting and the salary cap issues.  Howie and Lurie want Wentz to play due to the contract.  Howie always demands players with huge contracts play.  That's out of Doug's hands, who plays and who doesn't.  It's controlled from upstairs.  I think Pederson is ready to leave for another job. Maybe the reason he's giving Hurts 1st team reps.  He'd get hired right away somewhere else.  The Jets?  This house of cards is coming down hard.

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

Just because Howie paid Wentz a fortune does not mean that Wentz is in any shape to play football yet along win. Enough is enough. Wentz has been shell shocked and any healthy QB who can at least run for his life is better than comatose scarecrow with a 100 miles stare. I personally would like to see what Hurtz can do throwing the ball. Maybe then defenses will not zero on him running the ball so much.

Very rare to sit a player making huge money

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weko said:

IF there was a message being sent down to Doug, maybe this is coming from even further above.  Maybe Lurie is growing more frustrated watching what is unfolding and could be sending the directive.  He think he'd care less about about the contract situation (like Howie would) and more about winning.  Anyway, this could all just be Doug getting Hurts ready to play should the need arise.    

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

IF there was a message being sent down to Doug, maybe this is coming from even further above.  Maybe Lurie is growing more frustrated watching what is unfolding and could be sending the directive.  He think he'd care less about about the contract situation (like Howie would) and more about winning.  Anyway, this could all just be Doug getting Hurts ready to play should the need arise.    

Absolutely if Lurie makes a demand who plays, Howie will oblige him.  No doubt.  Howie is a true Dilbert survivor with no talent.  He knows to kiss Jeff's butt every time he gets the chance.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weko said:

Very rare to sit a player making huge money

Even more rarer when an overhyped, overpaid player is the worst QB in the league, and is holding records for the most interceptions.

On the side note. I totally agree with you the DP sees no future with this team and is trying to find a way out.

8 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Even more rarer when an overhyped, overpaid player is the worst QB in the league, and is holding records for the most interceptions.

The shoe fits:

Wentz is in the midst of his worst season as a pro. He is first among all players in interceptions (14), fumbles (10) and sacks (40), ranks 32nd in completion percentage (58.4), 31st in yards per attempt (6.2) and has the worst off-target percentage (23%) among all qualifiers, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

• Like 2

Personally, I think if Doug is doing this against orders to help facilitate his firing, I would find it funny, and smart. Obviously Doug is not without his own issues, but it’s not like a benching isn’t justified. What would Lurie and Howie do? Publically try and defend themselves against him being sat down? They would not look good in the public eye IMO if they fired Doug and used that defense. 

19 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Personally, I think if Doug is doing this against orders to help facilitate his firing, I would find it funny, and smart. Obviously Doug is not without his own issues, but it’s not like a benching isn’t justified. What would Lurie and Howie do? Publically try and defend themselves against him being sat down? They would not look good in the public eye IMO if they fired Doug and used that defense. 

There's a lot of angst between Doug and Howie/Jeff.  They over ruled him on keeping his lousy OC and QB coach, which was the right thing to do.  But then they installed this absurd Dilbert structure with 29 offensive coaches and no one in charge.  Just a horrible football decision.  But why would you expect anything else from Howie?  They tell Doug who plays and who doesn't.  They control personnel and he doesn't.  I think Doug wants out.  We have no young talent, Howie can't draft and he's screwed up the cap, we're looking at a long re build and more 4-12, 5-11 seasons to come. He can't choose his own staff.  Why would he want to stay in this horrible situation when he'd get multiple offers to coach somewhere else?

I find it hard to believe Howie and Lurie told Doug he is not allowed to bench Carson. If that was the case I don’t think they would have drafted Hurts in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

I've had four diagnosed concussions, including one in a major rollover accident and another where a clock 20 feet high in a middle school gymnasium was knocked off the wall and hit me in the head. I probably should have been dead from those two incidents alone.

My vision suffered for it. My memory sucks. I cannot remember my wife's favorite candy. Or what color tie I wore in our wedding without the aid of pictures. Or relatives' birthdates.

I'll be 30 in February.

Concussions have real consequences and, though the NFL didn't think so, the one he took last year by Clowney was dirty and extremely damaging.

I'm telling you guys, he literally isn't processing the game as fast as an NFL QB needs to. A lot of his big plays this year up the sidelines were decided without even reading. They were just chucked and good timing let it work out.

He cannot see the field and it's been such a dramatic change because of the concussion.

2 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

I've had four diagnosed concussions, including one in a major rollover accident and another where a clock 20 feet high in a middle school gymnasium was knocked off the wall and hit me in the head. I probably should have been dead from those two incidents alone.

My vision suffered for it. My memory sucks. I cannot remember my wife's favorite candy. Or what color tie I wore in our wedding without the aid of pictures. Or relatives' birthdates.

I'll be 30 in February.

Concussions have real consequences and, though the NFL didn't think so, the one he took last year by Clowney was dirty and extremely damaging.

I'm telling you guys, he literally isn't processing the game as fast as an NFL QB needs to. A lot of his big plays this year up the sidelines were decided without even reading. They were just chucked and good timing let it work out.

He cannot see the field and it's been such a dramatic change because of the concussion.

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  You're a young man.  Hopefully in time you'll heal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goeagles5039 said:

I find it hard to believe Howie and Lurie told Doug he is not allowed to bench Carson. If that was the case I don’t think they would have drafted Hurts in the 2nd round.

It's not hard to believe at all.  Jeff and Howie control who plays and who doesn't, at least in the big decisions like Carson And Peters.  Howie drafted Hurts because he is an idiot.  After what happened with Foles and the issues of loyalty to him in the locker room, the last thing you do as a GM after signing Carson to a huge long term deal is bring in competition in the form of a 2nd round pick.  2nd round picks should be excellent starters not long term back ups.  You can't flip a 2nd round QB for a higher pick with the wealth of QBs coming out of college ready to play.  There has never been this depth of QBs league wide with more coming out every year.  Howie has no clue...at all.

• Like 2

none of you and I mean none, has a clue about whats going on in this organization, its all spittballin at this point

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, weko said:

There's a lot of angst between Doug and Howie/Jeff.  They over ruled him on keeping his lousy OC and QB coach, which was the right thing to do.  But then they installed this absurd Dilbert structure with 29 offensive coaches and no one in charge.  Just a horrible football decision.  But why would you expect anything else from Howie?  They tell Doug who plays and who doesn't.  They control personnel and he doesn't.  I think Doug wants out.  We have no young talent, Howie can't draft and he's screwed up the cap, we're looking at a long re build and more 4-12, 5-11 seasons to come. He can't choose his own staff.  Why would he want to stay in this horrible situation when he'd get multiple offers to coach somewhere else?

That’s what I’m saying. Doug could pretty much use this method of openly defying those two, and he comes out of it looking right if it were to lead to his firing. 

12 minutes ago, weko said:

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  You're a young man.  Hopefully in time you'll heal.

Fun fact: probably not. But, life insurance policy should take care of the kids and hold the wife over until she finds another man... hopefully he is rich 🤣🤣.

7 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

Fun fact: probably not. But, life insurance policy should take care of the kids and hold the wife over until she finds another man... hopefully he is rich 🤣🤣.

You're young and alive.  You're rich.  There are places and environments with natural healers that could probably help you.  Maui is one of them.  I moved here in 1999.  Amazing how healthy everyone is. Do you get regular massages for the headaches?  They'd help release the pressure on your brain.  I get deep tissue massages on a regular basis and they've greatly improved how I feel, both physically and mentally.  Don't feel bad putting your needs first.  You can get better.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

I'll be 30 in February.

I’ve never had a concussion, but I’ve been thinking this angle hasn’t been discussed enough all season. He hasn’t been the same since that happened.

• Like 1

My prediction. Hurts will look good. Not great but good. People will go crazy and call for him to start which within a few weeks he will. Hurts and the offense will play good for 1 week then fall flat on their faces and back to the same struggles. 

Backups usually play well there first game or two cause teams dont really have any tape to go off. Once a game or two is in the books, it goes back to the same struggles and people then call for Dougs head yet again and figure out how we go back to Wentz once Doug is gone. 

I'm not sure a nationally televised game against the Seahawks, behind a decimated O-line is really the best time to start this kid.  It's not going to do a lot for his confidence to get ass raped back there all night long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1