Reports: Jalen Hurts getting 1st team reps, Lurie pushing to see Hurts

D-Shiznit

44 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yeah, really killing it

image.thumb.png.1042c162923fb273f6cc6a66fabe2b9f.png

Wow, the Wentz bandwagon is really reaching now. You literally picked Murray’s worst game of the season to make it seem like he’s not having a good year. This shows the reality of it: 

5E8DCEF0-7A05-4DA5-B7F5-6BC88E608D9A.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I do have sympathy with Wentz. Both the Foles and Hurts thing must have been tough and regardless of the fact that he's got a huge contract and is a professional sportsman, he can still have hurt feelings and professional pride.

I felt terribly sorry for him in 2017. He was odds on to be MVP that year and to then see Foles do what he did must have hurt.

The following year I sympathised because he struggled at times but that was perhaps injury related. Then he goes down again and Foles rallies the team. 

Then the following year he takes a nasty hit and misses pretty much all of his first play off game. But at that point I think you start to see that maybe this organisation does need either to look at an alternative future or at the very least have a very good back up. 

13 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

could there be an undisclosed injury?

We were talking about this a few pages ago.  He had a pretty nasty concussion at the end of last season, because of that dirty hit by Clowney.  Concussions like that can impact both vision and decision making.  I think there's a really good chance he is still suffering some lingering affects from that hit.  

13 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

could there be an undisclosed injury?

No. He’s just playing like garbage. 

Think about it, if there was an injury Hurts would be getting the start and would have probably taken over before even now. It seems pretty clear to me that between Howie and Doug, one of them wants Wentz to keep starting and the other wants Hurts. Which would explain Doug’s hesitation this past week answering questions about who starts tonight and Hurts now getting first team reps. I think there’s a power struggle going on, and the "compromise” they came to is to start getting Hurts more snaps during this game as a traditional QB, but with Wentz still keeping the starting job (for now). 

Anyway, if Wentz had an injury, it would be a perfect excuse to go with Hurts. 

4 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

We were talking about this a few pages ago.  He had a pretty nasty concussion at the end of last season, because of that dirty hit by Clowney.  Concussions like that can impact both vision and decision making.  I think there's a really good chance he is still suffering some lingering affects from that hit.  

Honestly Wentz struggling with making more than 1-2 reads on a play is nothing new. Nor is holding the ball for far too long. It’s an issue he has always had, it’s just even worse this year. He’s regressing, and I really doubt it has anything to do with the concussion. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I do, actually.....I seriously doubt that anyone in the league intends to use their own head to tackle somebody. I think its just the way he fell on him that makes it look worse than it is....I have seen a whole lot worse in the NFL that has not gotten called.....

He led with his helmet AND leaned in with his helmet right before the hit, hitting the other player's helmet.   Of course it was a "dirty" illegal tackle. It broke at least 2 rules.  Leading with your helmet/head down AND helmet to helmet hit.  At least 2 rules broken on that play...which could have also lead to a 3rd "unnecessary roughing" penalty.  

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/11/30/21752174/jalen-hurts-carson-wentz-eagles-struggles-jeffrey-lurie-nfl-news-quarterback-controversy-seahawks-qb

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie appears to be the driving force behind Jalen Hurts seeing an increased role as a quarterback in the Philadelphia Eagles’ offense. At least, that’s what this report from Adam Caplan of Inside The Birds indicates:

But that the Eagles are taking away some of Wentz’s snaps indicates a full-time change is closer than not.

More discussion on the Eagles’ quarterback situation via this pregame report from NFL insider Mike Garafolo:

And as Ian Rapoport reported on Sunday, that will be the case: Hurts on the field while Wentz is not on the field. They’ve had those two together on the field [previously]. But now you’re going to see Hurts come in and be a quarterback. And a quarterback who’s a dual threat. Right now, when he’s in the game, he’s pretty much run the ball. It’s been some kind of wildcat-type thing.

The point here for the Eagles doing this, according sources I have spoken to, is to keep the defense guessing. To open up the possibility of him throwing the ball and not takign away one of those receiver spots by having Wentz out there. They are ADAMANT that Carson Wentz is not getting benched.

But, look, if Wentz plays well, then we’ll see more of Wentz. And he’ll continue to have a hold on his job. But if Hurts plays well, we’ll probably see more of Hurts.

The question of how much Carson Wentz we’re going to see lies, for the most part, in Carson Wentz’s hands.

Lol. Look, I know people are frustrated with the coaching staff, and rightfully so. But I have a hard time believing they’re so dumb that they didn’t think Hurts was allowed to throw more often. Or that having Wentz lined up out wide was a waste.

Methinks this purported reasoning is being used to deflect from the real reason that Hurts is in line to see playing time ... because Wentz is really struggling.

For a game that lacks intrigue in the sense that the Eagles are expected to lose, it’ll be very interesting to see how the Eagles handle their quarterback position on Monday night. If Wentz plays poorly against the NFL’s worst passing defense, apparently the green light is on for him to be replaced.

This report makes sense in the wake of Lurie reportedly being frustrated with the team. He clearly wants to see some changes.

The report also makes sense from a power perspective. We’ve previously talked about how Carson Wentz has a lot of control and we’ve wondered if Doug Pederson truly has the authority to bench the Eagles’ starting quarterback. Assuming this report is true, it appears he was not able to make that call without the owner’s blessing.

To be clear, this report isn’t claiming that Wentz has been benched. He’s fully expected to start against the Seattle Seahawks on Monday Night Football.

3 hours ago, nipples said:

Honestly Wentz struggling with making more than 1-2 reads on a play is nothing new. Nor is holding the ball for far too long. It’s an issue he has always had, it’s just even worse this year. He’s regressing, and I really doubt it has anything to do with the concussion. 

Yet people are using that as the current excuse...when he has been doing these things his entire career....the O line this year is just exposing it alot more.....

I am with you...it has nothing to do with that concussion....

7 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Lurie has never been the type to micro manage so no im not getting this hot take.   

at the end of the day, if you dont work for yourself, your a puppet of sorts.  In other words... there are 32 puppet masters in the league.  

No, there are head coaches all over the league who are not puppets, and have actual power in decision making. They put Doug in place knowing they could do whatever they wanted, with Doug having no real power. I would ax Howie before I would ax the head coach. Howie has this org tied up in knots right now. Doug hates it and is miserable and ready to say "Screw your Howie control" and move on.

5 minutes ago, phil77 said:

Doug just said that he is all in on Wentz and Hurts recieved the same amount of reps this week as he normally does....

I’m not calling Doug a liar but... I think he’s lying. 

I didn’t hear what he said exactly, but did he say he received the same amount of reps as usual, or specifically that he received the same amount of reps with the first team as usual? He very well could have had the same total reps, but more with first team and fewer with second team. 

Regardless, I’ll go on the record saying I think tonight is the night Wentz is benched. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

I didn’t hear what he said exactly, but did he say he received the same amount of reps as usual, or specifically that he received the same amount of reps with the first team as usual? He very well could have had the same total reps, but more with first team and fewer with second team. 

Regardless, I’ll go on the record saying tonight is the night Wentz is benched. 

I think the idea is to take some of the "pressure" off of Pederson if he feels that Hurts can give the team a better chance to win at some point...either tonight or in the near future...if Wentz continues to struggle.  Basically, Lurie doesn't want Pederson to feel that his hands are "tied" and that he's forced to stick with Wentz.

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

Regardless, I’ll go on the record saying I think tonight is the night Wentz is benched. 

He said Hurts recieved the normal of reps with the first team as he needed to be prepared as the back-up QB.  Something along those lines.  He for sure said Hurts prepared as teh back-up QB

Willie McGinest throwing out some truth bombs on Wentz on Total Access. 

Just now, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Willie McGinest throwing out some truth bombs on Wentz on Total Access. 

Bullet points?

Spadaro on Wentz: Missing open receivers. Not letting it fly. Has to be held accountable. That’s all the confirmation I need of the Lurie story. 

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Bullet points?

You know what a quarterback is after 5 years

Wentz has flashed but has lacked consistency. 

The Eagles have injuries but regardless Wentz is not performing to his contract 

Wentz QB rating is lower than guys like Minshew and Trubisky and nobody would bat an eye if a coach brought in Hurts to play on the Jags or Bears. 

Kept Fricken saying it over and over again to trade Wentz after the Superbowl year... Couldve got a great return and saved a lot of money, big loss for Howie....

9 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

Kept Fricken saying it over and over again to trade Wentz after the Superbowl year... Couldve got a great return and saved a lot of money, big loss for Howie....

0 teams trade a QB with what we saw from Wentz in 2017.

6 minutes ago, Swoop said:

0 teams trade a QB with what we saw from Wentz in 2017.

I bet the Patriots wouldve and tried to squeeze another superbowl with Foles and a plethora of draft picks.. BIG MISS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, waste of practice reps for Wentz. Lol they had no intention of giving him a fair shake.