Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

25 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Don't bother.  He's run out of the blog all the time for his trolling.  He has a personal agenda against Wentz, for whatever reason.  He lacks the ability to have a serious discussion.  

Run out of the blog?  I leave there when I can’t take the lies, deceit, whitewashing, and outright gaslighting by you and your Washer brigade.  

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

The photo is just part of the tweet I was posting. I posted a video of Lane's injury which has absolutely nothing to do with being "injury-prone." Here it is again (en espanol):

You said we [made the mistake] of relying on these guys to stay healthy last year. I mean ... that's what you do when you build a team --- you hope everybody can stay healthy. But if you want to use history to base your prediction on next year, you have to look at all the players in the history of sports that have returned from injury to play the following year. For some reason, you believe that it's very unlikely that can happen, while reality suggests it happens way more times than it doesn't. 

But you want to be prepared for that "worst case scenario" and there's nothing wrong with that. So we have:

Herbig will backup Brooks at RG and Driscoll will be the primary backup to Lane. Mailata took a lot of practice reps at RT this year before being needed at LT and can play ither side if Dillard steps in at LT. All I am saying is that not only am I confident that Johnson and Brooks will be healthy and dependable next year, but that we already have very capable guys that can step up if needed as a result of the 2020 season. Guys like Mailata, Herbig and Driscoll needed experience to get better and they all got that this year. The only real disappointment was Pryor --- but I'm not going to invest a lot of resources trying to find someone to replace a 3rd string OG. TBH, Driscoll has the versatility to play OG and OT anyway. 

Lane's had injuries before as well.  In 2019 and earlier in his career.  Brooks has had 2 season ending injuries.  Both are older.  This started with a post full of optimism for the O line next year.  My point is that you can't hang your hopes on Brooks and Johnson being healthy, you have to prepare for injury.  So yes they have some backups there.  Dillard is a question mark as well.  It's a glass half full/half empty type argument.  My point was we said the exact same thing 3 years in a row about injuries.  People said it was a tough year with injuries, when these guys are healthy next year the team is gonna be great!  Then they get injured again.  Going into 2019 people said they had a stacked roster and were going to the Super Bowl.  DeSean Jackson!  Alshon Jeffrey!  2 TEs!  Pro Bowl O line!  Bam, injuries and Carson had scrubs around him.  Heading into 2020 people said hey these guys are back healthy it's gonna be great!  Bam, injuries again.

yes injuries happen to every team, yes guys can recover from injury.  But look at THIS team and their recent injury struggles.  It's unusual.  

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Lane's had injuries before as well.  In 2019 and earlier in his career.  Brooks has had 2 season ending injuries.  Both are older.  This started with a post full of optimism for the O line next year.  My point is that you can't hang your hopes on Brooks and Johnson being healthy, you have to prepare for injury.  So yes they have some backups there.  Dillard is a question mark as well.  It's a glass half full/half empty type argument.  My point was we said the exact same thing 3 years in a row about injuries.  People said it was a tough year with injuries, when these guys are healthy next year the team is gonna be great!  Then they get injured again.  Going into 2019 people said they had a stacked roster and were going to the Super Bowl.  DeSean Jackson!  Alshon Jeffrey!  2 TEs!  Pro Bowl O line!  Bam, injuries and Carson had scrubs around him.  Heading into 2020 people said hey these guys are back healthy it's gonna be great!  Bam, injuries again.

yes injuries happen to every team, yes guys can recover from injury.  But look at THIS team and their recent injury struggles.  It's unusual.  

I agree with you. The Eagles need to approach this draft as if Lane and Brooks will never be the same. If they end up being 100% and back to form, then you have a pleasant problem on your hands...a really deep OL.  People forget the main reason we won the SB in 2017 was our OL. It was the best in football. Washington, and somewhat the Giants, have a really good DL and it figures to be that way for a while as they are young up front. The Eagles need to counter that with a really good OL.  The Eagles need to draft at least 2 OL within the first 4 rounds, IMO.  I think we need a G/C (ideally a player who can play both) and another Guard or tackle.  Also, I think we need someone to challenge Seumalo. I think the Eagles severely overrate him. He plays well at times, but he tends to half-arse it when the goes against a really good DT.

59 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I agree with you. The Eagles need to approach this draft as if Lane and Brooks will never be the same. If they end up being 100% and back to form, then you have a pleasant problem on your hands...a really deep OL. 

The OL will likely get better, youngsters played a lot and that experience will most likely equate to better play in the future.

Concerning the pleasant problem, what about the horrible problem that you'll live with for another season in the secondary if it's not addressed?

I don't care how great your OL is, when your opponent can pick any DB to burn all game long you're not likely to win many games 

Just now, EagleVA said:

The OL will likely get better, youngsters played a lot and that experience will most likely equate to better play in the future.

Concerning the pleasant problem, what about the horrible problem that you'll live with for another season in the secondary if it's not addressed?

I don't care how great your OL is, when your opponent can pick any DB to burn all game long you're not likely to win many games 

You're preaching to the choir. I want at least 5 picks in this draft put towards the combo of OL and DB.

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

You're preaching to the choir. I want at least 5 picks in this draft put towards the combo of OL and DB.

If I were running the draft I'd leave the OL as is, ditto for the DL, there are too many other areas that need addressing like DB, LB, WR and RB and you can put those in any order you want, all would be valid.

7 hours ago, greend said:

It's "too" and you forgot an "a" in there. But since you're not a "flat out idiot" you probably already know that. And it's hilarious when people that post on a message board somehow conclude things like that.

There is good discussion between posters happening in this thread and then someone of your intelligence interacts by making statements inspired by nothing other than hate. 

You got the point didn't you? Only thing you could argue was the Grammer. How did your comment contribute to the thread, other than being grammar police?

5 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pin by Faith Jamason on j@de | Jacksepticeye, Jacksepticeye memes,  Markiplier

The irony is the only ones high fiving and laughing are you circle jerkers over grammar...

39 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pin on ELA

Not worth fighting with people BeLOW ME. See if you can correct that word too grammar police.

1k0xzc.jpg

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

I just want to clarify that the video of Lane's injury was the 2019 injury. That never healed right and they tried to address it with surgery right before this season and then he played on it before it could heal properly knowing that it would need surgery again. He went as far as he could this year. We've got to give him credit for toughing it out as much as he did. He probably wouldn't have played until it was 100% if we hadn't been so desperate for offensive linemen that could play.

I agree that we've had terrible luck when it comes to injuries the last several seasons. I believe in the law of averages and keep expecting our luck to turn around. So far, it hasn't. The team has tried a lot of different ideas and nothing has helped. The reason for that is because you simply can't control them no matter how hard you try. Our long list of injuries, contrary to popular myth, is filled with young players. Sure, a few of the older players made those lists too, but guys like Jenkins (when he was here), Graham, Kelce manage to always be available. 

Anyway, regarding the OL, I think we have a good mix of quality starters and young upstarts already. If we draft someone of value that slips or some project late, that's expected. I just feel we have more glaring needs to address with our higher draft picks. 

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I just want to clarify that the video of Lane's injury was the 2019 injury. That never healed right and they tried to address it with surgery right before this season and then he played on it before it could heal properly knowing that it would need surgery again. He went as far as he could this year. We've got to give him credit for toughing it out as much as he did. He probably wouldn't have played until it was 100% if we hadn't been so desperate for offensive linemen that could play.

You can give Lane credit for that absolutely. But at the same time why wasn't he told that he should get surgery earlier in the off season? See to me there's definitely a degree of bad luck but there's also a degree of mismanagement injuries. 

21 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So his arm will get considerably stronger than it's been up until now?  You see how long the ball takes to get to the sideline, on the 10 yard outs?  I like Hurts.  Love his attitude and his ability to get out of the pocket.  But his arm strength concerns me.  

There are things he can do to make up for the lack of arm strength. There are plenty of great QBs that didn't have great arms that were very successful. Doesn't mean Hurts will be and it comes with experience and time but, it can be managed

15 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Really?  I didn’t know.  Wow.  

I’m saying it’s a concern.  He’s not a great passer.  He’s a running QB.  It can be improved.   But right now, it’s a weakness.   

When has his arm particularly looked weak? Seems like he can make every throw once he sets his feet a bit. Like any QB I saw his mechanics break down when pressured.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You can give Lane credit for that absolutely. But at the same time why wasn't he told that he should get surgery earlier in the off season? See to me there's definitely a degree of bad luck but there's also a degree of mismanagement injuries. 

With high ankle sprains, they rarely resort to surgery unless there is visible separation of the tibia and fibula. Basically, it's standard to just treat it with rest, ice, bracing, elevation and standard physical therapy as it heals. It can be up to a 4-month process without any setbacks. We honestly don't know if he stumbled on anything in his house or stepped out of his vehicle funny (or whatever) during that 4 months that could have set things back. Regardless, something created a setback and they tried to buy time with a "clean-up" surgery in late August to get him ready and through the season. 

If you're looking to pin this on the Eagles for some narrative, there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. Your mind will already be made up. The fact is, whether a player has surgery or not, what happens during the recovery / rehab phase is going to be the most critical part of returning to health. I'm not sure a team can just pay someone to baby-sit a grown man and tell him what he can and can't do every moment of his life during the offseason. 

38 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Really?  I didn’t know.  Wow.  

I’m saying it’s a concern.  He’s not a great passer.  He’s a running QB.  It can be improved.   But right now, it’s a weakness.   

I hate you sometimes lol. 

And I agree

On 1/5/2021 at 11:46 AM, nipples said:

Depends. I wouldn’t take anyone but Fields, but if the Jets pass on him and he’s sitting there at #3? You bet your ass I’d be calling Miami about a trade. 

With the historical data surrounding OSU QB’s, I’d stay far far away from Fields. 

On 1/5/2021 at 12:18 PM, RastaPasta said:

I didn't say how he will end up. I think the likelihood of him ending up as good as Wentz can be is not great. Was Wentz terrible in 2019? Yes. Did Hurts flash some interesting talent? Sure. 

Still, I simply believe that Hurts doesn't have the ceiling Wentz does. Agree or disagree, I really don't care. We've seen Wentz operate at one of the highest levels imaginable for an NFL QB, so that's it. I think he can still be that guy.

It’s been FOUR years since Wentz operated at that level. Not saying he can’t get back to it, just that the odds are low IMO. 

Just now, Outlaw said:

With the historical data surrounding OSU QB’s, I’d stay far far away from Fields. 

It’s been FOUR years since Wentz operated at that level. Not saying he can’t get back to it, just that the odds are low IMO. 

What he did just last season with what he had to work with was pretty top-level, but I'm not saying Wentz comes without any concerns. There's valid concerns regarding Wentz because the dude was clearly broken mentally. His 2020 season was atrocious, and I'd but 60% of the blame on him alone for this season

Still, I think the Eagles invested heavily in him because they believed -- and still believe -- that with better circumstances he will be what they hope he'll be. 

18 minutes ago, RastaPasta said:

What he did just last season with what he had to work with was pretty top-level, but I'm not saying Wentz comes without any concerns. There's valid concerns regarding Wentz because the dude was clearly broken mentally. His 2020 season was atrocious, and I'd but 60% of the blame on him alone for this season

Still, I think the Eagles invested heavily in him because they believed -- and still believe -- that with better circumstances he will be what they hope he'll be. 

I understand last year’s run. Was actually at the Dallas game and it was awesome!  But that wasn’t against the cream of the crop either. Look, I WANT Wentz to be the guy. The team invested tons of time and money into that fact, and it would be great for him to live up to it. I just sadly don’t see it happening. I truly hope I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

What data is that? Tell me the last time an OSU quarterback was taken in the top ten... I’ll help, it hasn’t happened since 1982. And Haskins was the only other QB even taken in the first round since then. 

It’s not like they have had a bunch of highly touted first round QBs that have busted. Fields is the first they’ve had in nearly 40 years that was an elite NFL prospect. 

Why should we care how their mid-round quarterbacks have done in the nfl?

2 hours ago, RastaPasta said:

Recency bias makes people forget that he carried the team on his back into the playoffs last year.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I have said it numerous times, but will again.  Watch the 10 yard out pattern.  Which is pretty much the measuring stick for all NFL Qb's.  It takes a while to get there.  He does not have a strong NFL arm.  I know he's wearing an Eagle uniform, I get it.  We all want him to be great.  But it's ok to point out faults.  

Imagine him trying to make that pass in heavy wind. I'm not sure how much stronger his arm can get, unless it is a throwing mechanics issue.

My other concern is his inability to read defenses and reliance on running before looking to his second/third WRs. We all know that QBs can't run forever and they will all have to learn some degree of pocket passing. Couple his late reads with a weak arm does not make for a comforting outlook on the position.

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Fields was a UGA qb  first, so... does that mean he is still cursed?

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

If you're looking to pin this on the Eagles for some narrative, there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. Your mind will already be made up. The fact is, whether a player has surgery or not, what happens during the recovery / rehab phase is going to be the most critical part of returning to health. I'm not sure a team can just pay someone to baby-sit a grown man and tell him what he can and can't do every moment of his life during the offseason. 

I'm not trying to pin it on the Eagles. Look injuries do happen there's no doubt about that and some there is nothing anyone can do about. But I do think the Eagles over the last few years have suffered a lot more than other teams in that respect and that can't just be a coincidence or bad luck?

wentz isnt getting any younger and with the injuries he sustained,  i would just rather start fresh with a younger healthy qb whether it's hurts or someone that way we dont have to stuck with a bad contract and letting it drag this team down if he doesnt improve.

59 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

Fields was a UGA qb  first, so... does that mean he is still cursed?

That is a good point! 😁  It’s no knock on Fields...I just feel OSU QBs are cursed. I still take Lawrence or Wilson before him. 

Archived