Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Just now, KINGnabb said:

LOL @  hating on a Rookie who was thrown into the fire.   Jalen did what he had to do.   So many people were hating on the kid before he even took a single snap from Draft day till now.   Jalen showed his skills.     

Yup 1 look and run like hell.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, joboggi said:

Lets get OL, WR, OL first, they are typically better getting lineman.

Personally I'd stand pat at OL with the idea that Brooks and Johnson will be good to go, infuse new OL talent beginning in 2022.

1 minute ago, greend said:

Yup 1 look and run like hell.

In curtain situations?  Sure you have to run.  But he did throw the 3rd Longest pass in the NFL.  He also had the Eagles Offense put the 2nd Most yards in the NFL over his 1st 3 starts.   He's  a rookie, of course there was mistakes.   That "Running like Hell" got us 14 points on the board by the way.   

1 minute ago, KINGnabb said:

In curtain situations?  Sure you have to run.  But he did throw the 3rd Longest pass in the NFL.  He also had the Eagles Offense put the 2nd Most yards in the NFL over his 1st 3 starts.   He's  a rookie, of course there was mistakes.   That "Running like Hell" got us 14 points on the board by the way.   

And is not sustainable. But thanks for playing

19 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

Wentz also has a higher completion percentage at 57% to Hurts at 56%, but nearly identical.

I don't personally think a PR of 85.7 is "way better" than 72.8.  Both numbers are horrible.

I'll be anxious to check Hurts' numbers after tonight's game, when he faces a much better defense than Dallas showed and they have more tape on him and his tendencies.  I expect his TD/INT ratio to move more in the direction of Wentz's numbers as well as his passer rating.

It's really an impossible decision moving into next year with these two.  You almost have to just throw this whole year in the trash due to all the problems on the line.  It makes honest evaluation unrealistic.  That goes for the receivers too.

And there you go. 
Passer rating down to 77.6.  (better than Wentz 72.8)
QBR of 41.1  (worse than Wentz 49.7)
Completion percentage of 52.0%. (worse than Wentz 57.4%)
TD/INT of 6/4 or 1.5 TD to int ratio  (Better than Wentz 16/15 or 1.07 td to int ratio)

Every game his passing numbers get closer and closer to Carson's.  If you take out that game against the Saints, he's really pretty bad as a passer.  The only thing that's elevating him above Wentz right now is his running game.  At lease he didn't fumble this week, I guess.

34 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

LOL @  hating on a Rookie who was thrown into the fire.   Jalen did what he had to do under these circumstances.   So many people were hating on the kid before he even took a single snap from Draft day till now.   Jalen showed his skills.   

Yup, he showed he doesn’t have an nfl arm. Can barely complete screen passes at a hair above 50%. 

5 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Yup, he showed he doesn’t have an nfl arm. Can barely complete screen passes at a hair above 50%. 

Is that REALLY the criticism you want to make? Because Hurts throws a far better screen pass than Wentz. 

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Where's the outrage!!! ESPN? Schefter?

Here's plenty

24 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

And there you go. 
Passer rating down to 77.6.  (better than Wentz 72.8)
QBR of 41.1  (worse than Wentz 49.7)
Completion percentage of 52.0%. (worse than Wentz 57.4%)
TD/INT of 6/4 or 1.5 TD to int ratio  (Better than Wentz 16/15 or 1.07 td to int ratio)

Every game his passing numbers get closer and closer to Carson's.  If you take out that game against the Saints, he's really pretty bad as a passer.  The only thing that's elevating him above Wentz right now is his running game.  At lease he didn't fumble this week, I guess.

Nobody seems to be talking about the 5TDs Wentz had rushing this year either. 

10 hours ago, joboggi said:

Wentz for Fields. 

I look at it this way, Hurts is better than Foles. Lets get OL, WR, OL first, they are typically better getting lineman. 

\On the draft order, this morning the Eagles were at number five. They must have a tie breaker over Cinn. It needs to be said that the team that the Eagles tied also ended up with the same record. 

Gross.

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Nobody seems to be talking about the 5TDs Wentz had rushing this year either. 

Doesn't fit the narrative.

24 minutes ago, nipples said:

Is that REALLY the criticism you want to make? Because Hurts throws a far better screen pass than Wentz. 

You missed the point...terrible Wentz this year was still better throwing the ball than Hurts has been.  So next you're gonna say Wentz has been in the league 5 years.  Rookie Wentz, 4 games in had a completion percentage 15% higher (give or take a few).  Playing for a first year coach in a brand new system.  Could hit every throw with his arm.  The point is Hurts barely has the arm to complete a swing pass or a screen.  Combined with his blunderbuss for an arm. IDK what promise he's shown?

41 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

You missed the point...terrible Wentz this year was still better throwing the ball than Hurts has been.  So next you're gonna say Wentz has been in the league 5 years.  Rookie Wentz, 4 games in had a completion percentage 15% higher (give or take a few).  Playing for a first year coach in a brand new system.  Could hit every throw with his arm.  The point is Hurts barely has the arm to complete a swing pass or a screen.  Combined with his blunderbuss for an arm. IDK what promise he's shown?

How was Wentz better throwing the ball than Hurts? Hurts had the higher passer rating, better TD:Int ratio. I think people are forgetting how awful Wentz was since we haven’t seen him play in a month. 

7 minutes ago, nipples said:

How was Wentz better throwing the ball than Hurts? Hurts had the higher passer rating, better TD:Int ratio. I think people are forgetting how awful Wentz was since we haven’t seen him play in a month. 

If you take out the Saints game, he was not better than Wentz.  Even with that game included, Wentz has a higher completion percentage and a higher QBR and every game he has played his passer rating has dropped (it dropped from 85 to 77 just after this last game).  They both have 9 fumbles and Hurts did that on a much much lower number of touches.  Seriously, as a passer, he's very similar to Wentz numbers wise in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

If you take out the Saints game, he was not better than Wentz.  Even with that game included, Wentz has a higher completion percentage and a higher QBR and every game he has played his passer rating has dropped (it dropped from 85 to 77 just after this last game).  They both have 9 fumbles and Hurts did that on a much much lower number of touches.  Seriously, as a passer, he's very similar to Wentz numbers wise in 2020.

Just wait until they get a little more film on Hurts in the pass game.  He better keep those RB skills polished up....or we have major issues.

19 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah I mean the fact that a 5th year QB is even comparable to a rookie QB with no offseason who is considered mainly a running threat is basically all you need to know about Wentz. Right now they both aren't good enough. One is a kid and one is going into his 6th year. 

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think we can stop pretending this team is better with Hurts 

They played better with Hurts because Wentz was historically bad. I think it goes underappreciated how bad Wentz really was. Not only was Wentz the worst QB in the NFL, he was statistically the worst starting QB in the NFL in the last 35 years this season. So really anything remotely resembling even average QB play made the team better. That said I would be very nervous about going in to next season with Hurts as the starting QB. Ideally we should bring Wentz back and let them compete for the job. However, if Wentz is demanding a trade, we will have to rethink this thing. Either drafting a QB or bringing in a veteran.

11 minutes ago, Gannan said:

They played better with Hurts because Wentz was historically bad. I think it goes underappreciated how bad Wentz really was. Not only was Wentz the worst QB in the NFL, he was statistically the worst starting QB in the NFL in the last 35 years this season. So really anything remotely resembling even average QB play made the team better. That said I would be very nervous about going in to next season with Hurts as the starting QB. Ideally we should bring Wentz back and let them compete for the job. However, if Wentz is demanding a trade, we will have to rethink this thing. Either drafting a QB or bringing in a veteran.

I agree for the most part. Hurts ability to run made the offense better. As a passer though? They were both pretty pathetic. Especially in the second half of games for Hurts. Now that's not to say he can't get better and he is a rookie. Wentz agreed he was putrid all around. 

11 minutes ago, Gannan said:

He was historically bad and still had an better QBR and completion percentage.  Look, I'm not saying Hurts doesn't have potential, but lets be realistic about what he's showed us.  He played well in his first game and as teams have gotten tape on him and learn his tendencies, his passing numbers have gotten progressively worse each game.  They really didn't play better with Hurts aside from that first game.

1 hour ago, Dweedlebug said:

Here's plenty

Good stuff here, completely agree.  

I still don't understand what we learned by watching Suds for a quarter.  It's really only 2 possible reasons:

1. Doug is delusional and honestly thought that Suds would look pretty good and would be a legitimate contender to start next season.  

2. We were tanking

I still don't think there's any question that starting Hurts was the right call.  Carson looked bad and we got a chance to see what we had in Hurts.  With a terrible patchwork line and a sub-par receiving corps we needed his running ability.   

Next year - we get Dillard, Brooks, Lane back.  We may have an offense line.  We may have an upgraded receiving corps.  If you put Hurts & Wentz into a competition to win the starting job, I think Wentz will win.  

57 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

If you just take out one of his best games... what a dumb argument.  How about we take out Wentz first Giants game and see how his numbers look. 

Archived