Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

What do you do if Doug tells you that he feels Zach Wilson is a franchise QB?  Or what if Fields drops to 6?   Would you draft a player like that to compete with Hurts?  Seems like a lot of draft capital to waste at that position but I guess it would depend how strongly they feel about Wilson? 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, phil77 said:

What do you do if Doug tells you that he feels Zach Wilson is a franchise QB?  Or what if Fields drops to 6?   Would you draft a player like that to compete with Hurts?  Seems like a lot of draft capital to waste at that position but I guess it would depend how strongly they feel about Wilson? 

That's probably an easy Yes provided that the plan is to move on from Wentz. QB Factory man.

6 minutes ago, phil77 said:

In the NFL you never know when you will be in a position to draft a franchise QB again. They are at 6, if they think Fields is worth trading up for or Wilson is the real deal and he is there at 6 you absolutely pull the trigger.

6 minutes ago, phil77 said:

After Fields' performance on Friday, there's no shot he lasts until 6. If he does, you sprint to the podium to tell Goodell he's the pick.

Was very interesting to hear Hurts today talk about the offense's future identity. Could go a few different directions with that one.

23 minutes ago, judunno said:

QB competition against someone other than Wentz I presume. Wentz is done here. I can't see him recovering. The prospect of him reverting to this when it counts in the playoffs scares the hell out of me and should everyone. I just don't think he has that confidence and it factor for Philly. Perhaps he can find it somewhere else but he's toast here.

I'll take QB competition with any/all that are here. 

I'd be fine with Wentz as I've seen him carry this team to the playoffs in previous years. Similar to Hurts, we've seen him have decent/good games, but we've also seen him play really poorly. 

Any other QB that comes in will have major flaws that would be concerning, besides with the current cap situation, they won't be able to bring in high level QBs. Drafting one might be the only way to get a high potential QB that they can afford. 

To win, I think they'll need to evaluate as many QBs as possible. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

If afterwards he’s demanding to be traded then he is a crybaby. Here’s the thing. I think that kid uses it for fuel to get better, and not cry and want to take his ball and go home. When Sam Bradford did this after they drafted Wentz everyone wanted him gone. Wentz does it and all we hear is excuses. 

Just use the same scale for Hurts because we  will most likely bring in another QB this off-season.  Stop making excuses for Hurts.

And I hope he gets better, because he's proven to be inaccurate when under pressure (missed open Watkins on 4th and goal) and he's not very clutch when the game is on the line (3 games in a row of a failed comeback) not to mention the alarming fumble to touches rate.

3 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Hurts complained ("This isn't right, BS!"), after being pulled out of the game.  

Wait, what??

5 hours ago, Gannan said:

Yeah after the sample size we've seen on Hurts, the prospect of turning the keys over to him seems downright frightening. Hurts had his shot, now it's probably best if he sits back and learns for a little while. 

Just an honest observation here- Hurts had a lower QB rating last night than Wentz had all year. This is the future? I think he needs time.

Just now, Talonblood said:

Just an honest observation here- Hurts had a lower QB rating last night than Wentz had all year. This is the future? I think he needs time.

I'm worried Hurts doesn't have an NFL arm, not one that could put him in the top 5 at his position. Too early to call him a bust, but I certainly don't want to designate him as the franchise QB yet based on what I've seen. 

Hurts gets 2021.  If a stud is available then draft him and let them compete.  Otherwise try to land a reclamation project (Darnold?  Mariota?) to compete with him.

49 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

Was very interesting to hear Hurts today talk about the offense's future identity. Could go a few different directions with that one.

I noticed that.  He said we still haven't found our identity yet.

Not sure what you guys watch but Hurts looks good enough to get us 10+ wins next year. Get the kid a WR, sure up the O line, and commit to the run and we’re in the playoffs in 2021. The idea of drafting another QB this year with so many other holes and a capable passer of the football already in Hurts is ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, Br3 said:

Not sure what you guys watch but Hurts looks good enough to get us 10+ wins next year. Get the kid a WR, sure up the O line, and commit to the run and we’re in the playoffs in 2021. The idea of drafting another QB this year with so many other holes and a capable passer of the football in Hurts is ridiculous 

If Hurts is the guy we need a Ravens like attack. Bring in some more RBs!

40 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Just use the same scale for Hurts because we  will most likely bring in another QB this off-season.  Stop making excuses for Hurts.

And I hope he gets better, because he's proven to be inaccurate when under pressure (missed open Watkins on 4th and goal) and he's not very clutch when the game is on the line (3 games in a row of a failed comeback) not to mention the alarming fumble to touches rate.

No one is making excuses for Hurts, but you guys do seem like apologetic crybabies trying to compare Carson’s 12 games of trash with his big contract and bigger ego to a rookie with three starts under his belt. 

18 minutes ago, Br3 said:

Not sure what you guys watch but Hurts looks good enough to get us 10+ wins next year. Get the kid a WR, sure up the O line, and commit to the run and we’re in the playoffs in 2021. The idea of drafting another QB this year with so many other holes and a capable passer of the football in Hurts is ridiculous 

With Brooks and Johnson returning I'd leave the OL as is for 2021. 

Play Seumalo at C, Mailata at LT, and BPA at LG.  

I'd reserve two picks (2nd and 3rd) on WR and RB, all other picks would be on the defensive side of the ball.  

4 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I'd reserve two picks (2nd and 3rd) on WR and RB, all other picks would be on the defensive side of the ball.  

Looks good to me. We also have some quality backups on the o line and as long as we have stoutland, we’re fine there. Hopefully our draft board looks something like this: 

(1) WR

(2) Defense

(3) Defense

(5) Defense

(5) RB

(6) Defense

(7) Defense

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Wentz played poorly and many people blamed the O line and his lack of weapons.

Hurts had guys no one heard of playing last night and half the team sitting out and the team was tanking on purpose and he gets ripped for sucking?  Gotta be consistent.  Hurts played well in NO against the best defense with backup O lineman and receivers as well.

He's a rookie learning and thrown into a bad situation at the end.  Foles had that as a rookie, thrown into a 4-12 team and throwing to backups and running for his life on a team that had quit.

We don't know how his future will go but too early to really declare anything.

I don't think you can take anything from the Washington game. Season was over. The fact they played Whiteside and Sudfield to me shows they were evaluating players. Nothing more.

8 hours ago, greend said:

What a sulker. 

Hurts wanted to win and believe he would have with another quarter. Doug wanted to throw it for a pick. Just like playing for a tie.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Given the age and injury history. Probably not a good idea to think these OL will hold up. Time to draft some youth if available.

45 minutes ago, XoqTionR said:

Hurts wanted to win and believe he would have with another quarter. Doug wanted to throw it for a pick. Just like playing for a tie.

Yeah the tie thing hurt. Could have had the #3 pick lol.

2 hours ago, Arsenal79 said:

Hurts gets 2021.  If a stud is available then draft him and let them compete.  Otherwise try to land a reclamation project (Darnold?  Mariota?) to compete with him.

It’s not every year you pick 6th and potential franchise-changing QB’s are available.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

No one is making excuses for Hurts, but you guys do seem like apologetic crybabies trying to compare Carson’s 12 games of trash with his big contract and bigger ego to a rookie with three starts under his belt. 

No apologies here, I am very aware of the 12 games of trash resume.  But you guys seem like complete dummies when Hurts fumbles and you say "he's being Wentz-like" when in fact the truth is he is being very Hurts-like.  Like your joke is going to hide the fact that you want to hand the keys to the franchise to a rookie who loses the ball at an alarming rate.

2 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Wait, what??

Apparently his lips could be read on the sideline

15 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

It’s not every year you pick 6th and potential franchise-changing QB’s are available.

True.  That's why I have no problem w/them taking one if there's one available that they love.  But absolutely no to forcing a pick at the position just because they "need" a QB.

Archived