Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

11 minutes ago, nipples said:

If you just take out one of his best games... what a dumb argument.  How about we take out Wentz first Giants game and see how his numbers look. 

Go ahead.

The point is, his best game was the one where nobody had any tape on him at all and every game since, he has played worse and worse as teams build a file on him and his tendencies.  It's not an unusual happening.  The only stat that is really better is his td/int ratio at 1.5 vs Wentz at 1.07.  Otherwise their passing numbers are very similar.  His ball security other than interceptions is dreadful.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People just see what they want to see.  Carson Wentz was awful this year, but even at times made some good throws and got going with scrambles and running for 1st downs.  

Hurts made some good throws, showed accuracy and toughness. He's not just a running QB, he made throws from the pocket, made deep throws as well.  He was a rookie QB thrown into a bad situation on a bad team with a porous O line running for his life.  He was able to make plays with his legs.  Teams always figure out running QBs and force them to throw, and Hurts will have to continue to work on his passing.  

Can Wentz learn from this situation and come back strong and focused?  Will Hurts continue to develop or fizzle out as teams start to take away the run?  Will either of them be anything more than an average starting QB or will either of them step up to be a starter to lead them to playoff wins?

So many questions.  But both have played well and poorly in games.  So the QB situation is a real problem now with no clear answer.  But to have blinders on and only see the bad in the guy you don't like and puff up the guy you do like is disingenous.

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

The PC sounds like Hurts wont be the starter going forward

Which PC?  What was said and by who?

45 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

He was historically bad and still had an better QBR and completion percentage.  Look, I'm not saying Hurts doesn't have potential, but lets be realistic about what he's showed us.  He played well in his first game and as teams have gotten tape on him and learn his tendencies, his passing numbers have gotten progressively worse each game.  They really didn't play better with Hurts aside from that first game.

Right, which is why I said we might need to bring in a veteran or draft a guy. Hurts degenerated as he went, and if there were games I probably would have gone back to Wentz. It's scary that we went from having potentially 2 franchise QBs to potentially none in short order.

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

The PC sounds like Hurts wont be the starter going forward

Yeah after the sample size we've seen on Hurts, the prospect of turning the keys over to him seems downright frightening. Hurts had his shot, now it's probably best if he sits back and learns for a little while. 

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Which PC?  What was said and by who?

Howie and Doug are having a PC right now

They are praising Wentz a lot

Wentz played poorly and many people blamed the O line and his lack of weapons.

Hurts had guys no one heard of playing last night and half the team sitting out and the team was tanking on purpose and he gets ripped for sucking?  Gotta be consistent.  Hurts played well in NO against the best defense with backup O lineman and receivers as well.

He's a rookie learning and thrown into a bad situation at the end.  Foles had that as a rookie, thrown into a 4-12 team and throwing to backups and running for his life on a team that had quit.

We don't know how his future will go but too early to really declare anything.

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah agreed. This was basically a pre-season game going against a really good D playing for their playoff lives. We had 3rd string tackles out there and basically sat all our best weapons.

Generally the offense has looked better, but not significantly better with Hurts.

Personally unless we get blown away with a Wentz offer, I’m bringing them both back for an open competition.

The problem is Wentz has no desire to be in a QB competition. He thinks he’s done enough to just be given everything and that’s why he wants out. He can’t handle the pressure of a backup quarterback who is competition for his job. We also know that even if Carson wins the job (his contract will decide that) his leash for benching is much shorter now than it ever was. The best thing for both parties at this point is to get Carson out of here. Bring him back and you instantly divide the locker room. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Hurts had guys no one heard of playing last night and half the team sitting out and the team was tanking on purpose and he gets ripped for sucking?  Gotta be consistent.  Hurts played well in NO against the best defense with backup O lineman and receivers as well.

He's a rookie learning and thrown into a bad situation at the end.  Foles had that as a rookie, thrown into a 4-12 team and throwing to backups and running for his life on a team that had quit.

Agreed. I’d rather they give Hurts at least a full season to decide if he is or isn’t the guy. I think he does a lot of things well, but there are things he needs to improve. They need to build this roster up again. The Eagles need to find out how good Hurts really is. 

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The problem is Wentz has no desire to be in a QB competition. He thinks he’s done enough to just be given everything and that’s why he wants out. He can’t handle the pressure of a backup quarterback who is competition for his job. We also know that even if Carson wins the job (his contract will decide that) his leash for benching is much shorter now than it ever was. The best thing for both parties at this point is to get Carson out of here. Bring him back and you instantly divide the locker room. 

I'd like to see carson back but at this point it's beyond fixing with this team and him. They both need to move on. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'd like to see carson back but at this point it's beyond fixing with this team and him. They both need to move on. 

The guy doesn’t want to be here. Nothing good will come from him staying even if they traded Hurts away. The questions about how this season went will not stop. The first signs of Wentz struggling he will be met with a cascade of boos. It’s like a marriage that just needs to end. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I tend to agree with this, but Hurts' throws and his arm are a concern bad o line or not. Wentz was so bad this year he couldn't even hit a 5 yard screen pass. Ideally they should bring them both back and let them compete for the job. I don't feel great about the prospects of either one, but let's see how it plays out. 

Hurts complained ("This isn't right, BS!"), after being pulled out of the game.  Is his relationship with his coaches fractured?  Is he a cry baby?

41 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Hurts complained ("This isn't right, BS!"), after being pulled out of the game.  Is his relationship with his coaches fractured?  Is he a cry baby?

You play to win the game!

Except when there's a #6 overall pick on the line.

48 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The guy doesn’t want to be here. Nothing good will come from him staying even if they traded Hurts away. The questions about how this season went will not stop. The first signs of Wentz struggling he will be met with a cascade of boos. It’s like a marriage that just needs to end. 

Exactly what I meant

4 minutes ago, judunno said:

You play to win the game!

Except when there's a #6 overall pick on the line.

Lol true. 

47 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

If afterwards he’s demanding to be traded then he is a crybaby. Here’s the thing. I think that kid uses it for fuel to get better, and not cry and want to take his ball and go home. When Sam Bradford did this after they drafted Wentz everyone wanted him gone. Wentz does it and all we hear is excuses. 

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Howie and Doug are having a PC right now

They are praising Wentz a lot

Have to up his trade value ;) 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

The folks that are crapping on Hurts are the ones who dont want to see him succeed as this has turned into Wentz vs Hurts - clearly theyre just fanboys of Carson. As an Eagles fan myself, may the best man lead the franchise. 

6 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

The folks that are crapping on Hurts are the ones who dont want to see him succeed

I just don't see it.  His completion % is bad, he is one read and run, and he has led the Eagles to points on 2 of 21 second half drives.

He put up 250 more yards against the Cowboys than Wentz did.  Net result, 2 points, 1 loss.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

I just don't see it.  His completion % is bad, he is one read and run, and he has led the Eagles to points on 2 of 21 second half drives.

He put up 250 more yards against the Cowboys than Wentz did.  Net result, 2 points, 1 loss.

Pretty much the same as he did coming out of college. 

People say that missing training camp hindered his progress, but he also had 13 weeks on being on the team to learn the system. 

I was hoping to see continued growth in the last game, but it looked even worse. 

Next year, a true QB competition to see:

Can Hurts avoid running from perceived pressure, read defenses through more than one receiver, have the arm strength to make all the throws, reach the draft potential people have seen in him?

Can Wentz improve his mechanics, reset his brain to avoid "jittery" feet, avoid perceived pressure and forcing the ball, reclaim the production he put up in the past three years? 

2 minutes ago, kentwo said:

Pretty much the same as he did coming out of college. 

People say that missing training camp hindered his progress, but he also had 13 weeks on being on the team to learn the system. 

I was hoping to see continued growth in the last game, but it looked even worse. 

Next year, a true QB competition to see:

Can Hurts avoid running from perceived pressure, read defenses through more than one receiver, have the arm strength to make all the throws, reach the draft potential people have seen in him?

Can Wentz improve his mechanics, reset his brain to avoid "jittery" feet, avoid perceived pressure and forcing the ball, reclaim the production he put up in the past three years? 

QB competition against someone other than Wentz I presume. Wentz is done here. I can't see him recovering. The prospect of him reverting to this when it counts in the playoffs scares the hell out of me and should everyone. I just don't think he has that confidence and it factor for Philly. Perhaps he can find it somewhere else but he's toast here.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

I'm not sold on Hurts one way or the other. He is a rookie though and he can get better. Either way, and I'm not saying you but there are people who want to keep Wentz who say ''how can you be sold on Hurts.'' My whole perspective is that moving on from Wentz is about Wentz not being the answer and not that Hurts definitely is.

Just now, judunno said:

QB competition against someone other than Wentz I presume. Wentz is done here. I can't see him recovering. The prospect of him reverting to this when it counts in the playoffs scares the hell out of me and should everyone. I just don't think he has that confidence and it factor for Philly. Perhaps he can find it somewhere else but he's toast here.

I agree. I think they will bring in a QB to compete with him. Winston, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Trubisky, Brissett, etc. Maybe Foles becomes available.

Archived