ManchesterEagle

Do you want Schwartz to stay in 2021  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Schwartz

• I want him to stay - does a good job with limited talent
    • Not sure - can we get better?
    • I want him to go

40 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Although I am not as against Schwartz as most I think it’s time to move on, but I do remember the years of Juan and Billy Davis. I absolutely know it could be a lot worse.

This is an interesting article, particularly point 8.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/8-reasons-eagles-2020-defense-has-been-better-you-think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey @ Bat said:

We pay as much as any team for Dline. We rush 4 mostly. Yet we never confuse or disrupt a decent offense. We consistently have 7 in coverage yet can’t cover. We develop no one in the back 7. 
He now has a stud corner in Slay. We beat a 2nd string backup TE playing QB yesterday. 

He’s gotta go. 

Who did Schwartz have at linebacker and at secondary in the 4th? How many games had Hill lost this season before yesterday?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

How many games had Hill lost this season before yesterday?

Lets not get crazy.  He beat the 4-8 Falcons twice, and a Denver team with a practice squad WR at QB.

I think he's a very good DC in terms of scheme and preparation, but he's a horrible talent evaluator.

It feels like when one player falls out of favor with him,  it doesn't matter how good or bad he is, he won't see the field much in the future. It happened with Jones, Douglas, Fort, Parks and several others that just didn't receive a fair chance. 

So, I guess I'm curious to see if there's someone better available, but it's something that I think we could regret. 

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I have defended Schwartz since he has been in Philadelphia. He has done solid work with limited talent. Yes, he does have some mental lapses that cause people to scratch their head but he doesn't get much help in the back 7. if Doug Pederson can't get who he wants what make yall think Schwartz can. They helped with with Slay but thats it. They continue to neglect the back 7 on defense.

Look at the games this season, how many games has the defense actually cost us a win? Washington (maybe), Rams, Steelers, Packers (maybe). Those maybes are because the offense couldnt sustain drives and kept turning the ball over.

This. 

Somebody created a false rumour once that Schwartz has control of defensive personnel. He doesn’t. You could tell he didn’t want to let Jenkins go. They also neglect the D in the draft.

Yeah D was bad against the Rams and Steelers.

Not great against Washington or Pack but did enough - those games were more on the O.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Who did Schwartz have at linebacker and at secondary in the 4th? How many games had Hill lost this season before yesterday?

So we’re going off of just yesterday’s game? Hell extend him Doug and Howie then. 

Since 2018 Ive had the same Xmas list for Santa every year. Jim to get replaced and Doug to get a real OC. Come on Santa, Ive been good this year. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I was actually surprised to find out they were leading the league in sacks from the defensive line last game. The offense sure does help them out when they aren’t putting them in short fields cause of stupid turnovers and going 3 and out for two quarters of football. I would like to see them do a better job of not giving up big plays, bad penalties, and poor tackling though. 

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Since 2018 Ive had the same Xmas list for Santa every year. Jim to get replaced and Doug to get a real OC. Come on Santa, Ive been good this year. 

I’d be happy with a quarterback who doesn’t keep giving the ball to the other team so much. I’m not too picky. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I’d be happy with a quarterback who doesn’t keep giving the ball to the other team so much. I’m not too picky. 

Man you want to get rid of Hurts now too? He only played 1 1/2 games and He only threw 1 pick and lost one fumble. It could get better, lol. 

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Man you want to get rid of Hurts now too? He only played 1 1/2 games and He only threw 1 pick and lost one fumble. It could get better, lol. 

One per game so far. Not great, but far better than the three per game I’m used to seeing. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

One per game so far. Not great, but far better than the three per game I’m used to seeing. 

Your math is not so great is it, lol.

Wentz 14 turnovers in 13 games= 1.07 

Hurts 2 turnovers in 1.5 games= 1.33 

So you must be watching a different team if your watching a Qb turn it over 3 times every game :) 

38 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Your math is not so great is it, lol.

Wentz 14 turnovers in 13 games= 1.07 

Hurts 2 turnovers in 1.5 games= 1.33 

So you must be watching a different team if your watching a Qb turn it over 3 times every game 🙂

Carson has 15 interceptions in 12 games alone. 😂🤣😂 What are you talking about? He also has 10 fumbles. Maybe stop watching those 2017 games?

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings on Schwartz, I hate the scheme its boring and predictable and having said that Schwartz still gets them to play well and keeps the points down 

I think the lack of turnovers over the last few years is an Indictment of him and his scheme.

41 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Carson has 15 interceptions in 12 games alone. 😂🤣😂 What are you talking about? He also has 10 fumbles. Maybe stop watching those 2017 games?

My bad 15 ints plus 4 fumbles lost. Cant count fumbles that were not turnovers. So corrected at 1.46. Still not an avg of 3 per game. Less then half that. 

6 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

I'm pretty much done with Schwartz and I voted for him to go, sometimes a change is needed just to keep things fresh. I wonder if Jeff Stoutland can take over the DC position if we move on from Schwartz, lol.

Yeah this takes my back. Quite the sense of humor this dude has. Lol.

Schwarz, even though nobody likes the wide nine, has been incredibly good considering the sea of injuries last years. Time and again he took some random guys in and got them to get it done. Team clearly loves this coach, too.

If anything Schwarz deserves some praise, despite the way the season went. Still, if this **** year played a part in keeping him here over leaving to be a HC I am happy.

I can imagine what happens if he got the boot and a new guy came to do that job.. People would miss this man in no time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Infam said:

Schwarz, even though nobody likes the wide nine, has been incredibly good considering the sea of injuries last years. Time and again he took some random guys in and got them to get it done. Team clearly loves this coach, too.

If anything Schwarz deserves some praise, despite the way the season went. Still, if this **** year played a part in keeping him here over leaving to be a HC I am happy.

I can imagine what happens if he got the boot and a new guy came to do that job.. People would miss this man in no time.

If it was up to Schwartz Jenkins would still be here and we’d have drafted Chinn in april. Just saying...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

My bad 15 ints plus 4 fumbles lost. Cant count fumbles that were not turnovers. So corrected at 1.46. Still not an avg of 3 per game. Less then half that. 

Ok so he’s averaging more turnovers per game than Hurts (a second round rookie with one start), as a 5 year vet. 

5 hours ago, Infam said:

I’ve not seen many on this board own up when they are wrong. They will probably blame new guy/Howie etc rather than admit Schwartz was good.

I think Schwartz leaves, but to go and be a DC in a better situation, where they actually draft some defensive players.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Do you want him to stay or go?

People know how I feel. He does a good job with very little investment and scrubs everywhere apart from the D-Line

He's not under contract, so maybe a better question is:  Does he even want to stay?

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He's not under contract, so maybe a better question is:  Does he even want to stay?

Agreed. I suspect he doesn’t and will leave for a better situation. 

Most people on this board will celebrate and then be confused when we end up with a bottom 5 D next year.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed. I suspect he doesn’t and will leave for a better situation. 

Most people on this board will celebrate and then be confused when we end up with a bottom 5 D next year.

All depends on who they bring in.   They certainly could do worse than Schwartz, but it's possible they could do better.    Eagles fired Buddy Ryan after the 1990 season and a lot of folks thought the defense would fold because they wouldn't have Buddy running things (though Jeff Fisher was technically the DC).  They promoted Kotite to HC and brought in Bud Carson as DC.  And he formed that 1991 defense into the greatest defense I have ever seen... far better than the 1985 Bears, and imo better than the Steelers of the 70s.  The only team that could rival them was the 2000 Ravens.  The Eagles defense was so great, they managed to win 10 games with the carousel of QBs including the broken down Jim MacMahon, Brad Goebel, Pat Ryan, Jeff Kemp, etc.  The Ravens at least had Jamal Lewis to lean on for some TOP.  The Eagles' top rusher that year was rookie James Joseph.   

BTW... I have no idea who they should bring in.  And all this really depends on who the GM and HC are.  Hopefully there's a whole new set of minds in the Eagles NovaCare Complex come February.

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

All depends on who they bring in.   They certainly could do worse than Schwartz, but it's possible they could do better.    Eagles fired Buddy Ryan after the 1990 season and a lot of folks thought the defense would fold because they wouldn't have Buddy running things (though Jeff Fisher was technically the DC).  They promoted Kotite to HC and brought in Bud Carson as DC.  And he formed that 1991 defense into the greatest defense I have ever seen... far better than the 1985 Bears, and imo better than the Steelers of the 70s.  The only team that could rival them was the 2000 Ravens.  The Eagles defense was so great, they managed to win 10 games with the carousel of QBs including the broken down Jim MacMahon, Brad Goebel, Pat Ryan, Jeff Kemp, etc.  The Ravens at least had Jamal Lewis to lean on for some TOP.  The Eagles' top rusher that year was rookie James Joseph.   

BTW... I have no idea who they should bring in.  And all this really depends on who the GM and HC are.  Hopefully there's a whole new set of minds in the Eagles NovaCare Complex come February.

Yeah that’s true. I’m not saying Schwartz is the best in the league but he’s certainly top 10 IMO and chances are that who they bring in will be worse.

Also that early 90s Eagles team was absolutely loaded with talent on D. This one really isn’t. 

• Like 1

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah that’s true. I’m not saying Schwartz is the best in the league but he’s certainly top 10 IMO and chances are that who they bring in will be worse.

Also that early 90s Eagles team was absolutely loaded with talent on D. This one really isn’t. 

All true.  Although, I'm not sure about the top 10 part of Schwartz.  The lack of ability to develop any of the early round draft choices at CB is an issue, but then again, maybe that's on Howie for selecting them.