Schwartz 2021

ManchesterEagle

Do you want Schwartz to stay in 2021  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Schwartz

• I want him to stay - does a good job with limited talent
    • Not sure - can we get better?
    • I want him to go

Kyle Whittingham is the best developmental coach in college football when it comes to defense. He takes crumbs and turns them into NFL players and is making 4 million a year at Utah. Offer him the 6 million Schwartz is making and get him on the sidelines.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Kyle Whittingham is the best developmental coach in college football when it comes to defense. He takes crumbs and turns them into NFL players and is making 4 million a year at Utah. Offer him the 6 million Schwartz is making and get him on the sidelines.

I'm not sure he gets crumbs I mean it's not like he's at utah st in some po dunk conference he's in the pac 12, which isn't exactly known for its defense but yeah wittingham does a good job with defense at utah even before they were pac 12

Not sure he'd leave utah. He's pretty entrenched and hasn't shown or expressed any desire to leave, he's a lifer at Utah much like Lavell was at BYU imo

44 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I'm not sure he gets crumbs I mean it's not like he's at utah st in some po dunk conference he's in the pac 12, which isn't exactly known for its defense but yeah wittingham does a good job with defense at utah even before they were pac 12

Not sure he'd leave utah. He's pretty entrenched and hasn't shown or expressed any desire to leave, he's a lifer at Utah much like Lavell was at BYU imo

We agree he isn't at Utah State, but compare his recruits each year to the teams who regularly compete for the PAC 12 title or Alabama and the like...he gets crumbs compared to big schools. Point is he continually develops talent and is probably the best in the NCAA at it. Not sure he'd leave either, but I'd sure as heck give it a run. He is exactly what this team could use. When was the last time we had a consistent talent developer on that side of the ball? There have been some good d coordinators, but maybe Buddy?

• Like 1

I dont know. We have corners that are crap here and then perform elsewhere. He kept Gerry out there who's just BAD.. Dline typically does well but with that talent its to be expected.

I wouldn't be upset if a new direction is on the horizon with regards to DC. 

DC HC OC replacement would be refreshing.

21 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

The defense finally played with a lead and they were doiminating the Saints until the entire secondary got wiped out.

Just for the record... who was the QB for the Saints during this domination? 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Just for the record... who was the QB for the Saints during this domination? 

They've been scoring without Brees.  Had to stop Kamara and Thomas.  My only point is that the eagles have been playing like a slightly above average defense for about a month now.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:22 PM, Iggles_Phan said:

Not necessarily.  They should all be tossed aside and pushed out.

I'd like that but let's face it.  

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

They've been scoring without Brees.  Had to stop Kamara and Thomas.  My only point is that the eagles have been playing like a slightly above average defense for about a month now.

Against the Falcons in Game 1 - Taysom Hill at 10 rushes for 49 yards and 2 TDs. - 

Against the Broncos in Game 2 - Taysom Hill at 10 rushes for 44 yards and 2 TDs (only attempted 16 passes)  - 292 yards of total offense for the Saints

Against the Falcons - game 3 - Taysom Hill at 14 rushes for 83 yards and actually tossed 2 TD passes.

Against the Eagles, who have been gashed by QB runs all year, misdirection, etc.   Taysom Hill had only 5 rushes for 33 yards.   The Eagles won that game, because Sean Peyton had the brilliant idea to make Taysom Hill into a pocket passer, instead of exploiting the Eagles' terrible tendency to give huge chunk plays to QBs keeping the ball... or running misdirection.   That game was a case of Peyton trying to get cute.

This game came down to a bad game plan by Sean Peyton more than it did stellar defense.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Against the Falcons in Game 1 - Taysom Hill at 10 rushes for 49 yards and 2 TDs. - 

Against the Broncos in Game 2 - Taysom Hill at 10 rushes for 44 yards and 2 TDs (only attempted 16 passes)  - 292 yards of total offense for the Saints

Against the Falcons - game 3 - Taysom Hill at 14 rushes for 83 yards and actually tossed 2 TD passes.

Against the Eagles, who have been gashed by QB runs all year, misdirection, etc.   Taysom Hill had only 5 rushes for 33 yards.   The Eagles won that game, because Sean Peyton had the brilliant idea to make Taysom Hill into a pocket passer, instead of exploiting the Eagles' terrible tendency to give huge chunk plays to QBs keeping the ball... or running misdirection.   That game was a case of Peyton trying to get cute.

This game came down to a bad game plan by Sean Peyton more than it did stellar defense.

If you say so.  I saw a DLine that flat out won the battle in the trenches against a very good OLine and the rest of the game flowed down from there.

2 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

If you say so.  I saw a DLine that flat out won the battle in the trenches against a very good OLine and the rest of the game flowed down from there.

Sure.   And I saw a team that looked flat and disinterested playing a game because they had to and not very well game planned.

My opinion in Schwartz hasn't changed at all in 4 years.  He is a borderline top 10 defensive coordinator.  In a bad year he can be below average, in a good year he can be knocking on top 5 and getting HC buzz.  The goods thing about a DC that is good but not THAT good is that they rarely actually get poached for a HC gig and continuity matters on defense.

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure.   And I saw a team that looked flat and disinterested playing a game because they had to and not very well game planned.

I don't know how to argue against your feelings about the Saints' feelings.  

4 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I don't know how to argue against your feelings about the Saints' feelings.  

You don't need to.  

If we reversed the situations and that was the Eagles playing with their backup QB who is a better runner than passer (which isn't even debatable) against a defense that has routinely been gashed by QBs on read option plays... what do you think Eagles fans would have been saying about the Eagles' game plan and execution in that game?   

Personally, I saw very little in that game that would be an encouragement for the future.  They beat a good team, with a terrible QB... mind you, not a mediocre QB, a bad QB.  The only teams this team has beaten has been teams with bad to terrible QBs.  The only possible exception would be the Giants with Daniel Jones, who is likely just a mediocre QB, rather than a bad one. 

The Eagles' offense produced more, primarily because they had more scripted runs from Hurts than they'd ever consider with Wentz.  And frankly, an offense designed around a QB running the ball as a primary feature (Hurts had at least a dozen called runs, not just scrambles) is a way to get short term success, but is never sustainable for the long term.  So, that game was rather depressing when looking at the long view.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 11:21 AM, pallidrone said:

Maybe it would be better for him to blitz on the final play of the game. No way anything bad can happen there.

10 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 are unacceptable

1 hour ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

10 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 are unacceptable

OK but that is not sticks defense.

Tired of Schwartz. Absolutely agree that the talent on D is limited but his slow adjustments — when he does adjust, are maddening. If the other team counters his game plan 9 times out of 10 we’re screwed ..

On 12/14/2020 at 2:12 PM, EagleVA said:

Schwartz doesn't put his best players on the field, a perfect example of that right now is this guy Michael Jacquet, dude is a good sized, hard hitting, sure tackling,  ball hawk that can play either safety or corner and he's on the bench in favor Maddox and Mills......I'm like here we go again with this BS.

This aged well. 

• Haha 3

Jacquet this year is like Mailata as a rookie. He's raw and needs some time to develop. The upside is there. The size and athleticism are great.   Last week he showed flashes. He also had a couple bad plays last week and a very rough day today. Give him a year or two more as a backup and he could develop into a very good starter. He clearly isn't the guy you want to go all in on at this time. 

On 12/26/2020 at 5:54 PM, pallidrone said:

OK but that is not sticks defense.

Maybe not, but it sure is Stupid Defense. 

• Like 1

I want an aggressive Defensive coach like Jim Johnson or Buddy Ryan. Schwartz is not aggressive at all. He plays soft coverage and tries to get pressure with the front four. If they don’t get pressure, it’s just pitch and catch. 

• Like 1

Schwartz needs to not return just on basis of not adjusting in 2nd half until it was too late alone. A great DC would have put someone else (like Mills) on Gallup after halftime at latest.

I'm willing to cut him some slack for a number of reasons, but the last two games still aren't acceptable any way you slice it.  We're talking about over 1,000 total yards surrendered against two pretty pedestrian offenses - NFL defenses should not be giving up that kind of yardage no matter how banged up they may be (and other teams have had it far worse).

But I still think his body of work is a lot stronger than people give him credit for.  His defenses have generally held up well in the biggest games against the toughest opponents - this despite being amongst the oldest, slowest units in the league for a while now and the front office spending most of its resources on the other side of the ball.  It would be ill-advised to make him the fall guy when his struggles are clearly a direct result of Howie's incompetence.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Outlaw said:

This aged well. 

I don't think his play was a bad as the commentators portrayed it, he had good coverage on most passes thrown his way, I mean it's not like he got beat like Roby-Coleman and he was wiped out by an offensive lineman on that long run along the left sideline.

Moreover, looking at the pass rush yesterday, there are very few DB's that can hold up when the QB has forever and a day to find open receivers, that's why everyone got beat. 

Also, he just started playing DB in 2018 and this was his first start in the NFL, all of his prior experience came as a WR,  given time he'll develop into a good DB. 

Lastly, from my perspective, just like Douglas, he's probably better suited to play the safety position although he'll hold up much better than Douglas at the CD position.