ManchesterEagle

Do you want Schwartz to stay in 2021  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Schwartz

• I want him to stay - does a good job with limited talent
    • Not sure - can we get better?
    • I want him to go

11 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

How many DCs in the league are better than Schwartz? Maybe 5? What are the odds we get one? 

We're in the bottom half or third of the league in both pass defense and rush defense, gotta be more than 5 better DCs. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

How many DCs in the league are better than Schwartz? Maybe 5? What are the odds we get one? 

43 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

We're in the bottom half or third of the league in both pass defense and rush defense, gotta be more than 5 better DCs. 

This D is genuinely about to fall off a cliff. The talent level just isn't high enough. No good D invests so little in terms of salary cap and high draft picks as us. 

Personally I suspect Schwartz will leave, but we may struggle to get a decent replacement given the lack of young talent on this D.

• Like 1

Completely torn on this as with what to do with Doug. Excuses shouldn't be used BUT the talent level on this team is down right pathetic. I mean we were so desperate last year at corner we picked up Orlando Scandrick off the street. And yes injuries has a lot to do with it but we lack talent. Fans can only wonder what Schwartz would do with a young above average player at each of the three levels of defense (DL, LB Secondary). Ever since the SB our players just keep getting injured and old, then the new young players just fall flat on their face or get injured. 

I do think that Lurie has some hard decisions to make because we do lack talent. We have some really bad players that are NOT showing any signs of life, whether through FA or the draft. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Completely torn on this as with what to do with Doug. Excuses shouldn't be used BUT the talent level on this team is down right pathetic. I mean we were so desperate last year at corner we picked up Orlando Scandrick off the street. And yes injuries has a lot to do with it but we lack talent. Fans can only wonder what Schwartz would do with a young above average player at each of the three levels of defense (DL, LB Secondary). Ever since the SB our players just keep getting injured and old, then the new young players just fall flat on their face or get injured. 

I do think that Lurie has some hard decisions to make because we do lack talent. We have some really bad players that are NOT showing any signs of life, whether through FA or the draft. 

As far as I know Schwartz is out of contract and to be honest, even if the Eagles do want him back, I'm not sure he will want to come back given the lack of talent on this D.

The one time the Eagles did have reasonable talent across all levels was 2007 and the D (Super Bowl apart) was great that season. 

I think that most  people are wrong about Schwartz. He did a decent job with what he was given. His secondary literaly was working at Wall Mart, before asked to cover some of the best WRs in the league.

My priorities:

1) Howie's head on the stick. AND finding a NEW great upcoming GM.

2) Fix our drafting department.

3) Fire DP...because he is just average, outside of 2017, and once again look for an upcoming head coach.

4) Trade our 1st round pick for a 4-6 second round picks. Because we have so many needs, that fixing a single position is less important than shoring up multiple spots such as Safety, offensive line T and G, Cornerbacks, LBs, everything also.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

As far as I know Schwartz is out of contract and to be honest, even if the Eagles do want him back, I'm not sure he will want to come back given the lack of talent on this D.

The one time the Eagles did have reasonable talent across all levels was 2007 and the D (Super Bowl apart) was great that season. 

The funny thing is people are screaming for a corner off the board in the first, well in 2017 our starting corners were Jalen Mills, Darby and P-Rob who played the slot. With a little Malcom Jenkins mixed in all over the place.

Defensive line was feasting that year and our LB's were way better than what we have now. 

Let's also remind ourselves how many times the offense stalled and stalled this year, so the unexperienced defense has to drag their butts back out on the field.

I think Schwartz has proved that given the talent we can have a Top 10 defense, which is good enough to keep you competitive each and every year. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 1:00 PM, wtfcares said:

Keep in mind:  the same people who decided they should have 14 different offensive coaches are going to make the decision on the next DC.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 2:00 PM, wtfcares said:

Really? Top 5? I can list way more than that including other available guys

Marvin Lewis

Leslie Frazier

Todd Bowles

Dan Quinn

Gus Bradley 

Robert Saleh

Matt Eberflus

Patrick Graham

Brandon Staley

Wink Martindale

Keith Butler

Mike Pettine

Chuck Pagano

Jack DelRio

Raheem Morris

25 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Really? Top 5? I can list way more than that including other available guys

Marvin Lewis 

Leslie Frazier

Todd Bowles

Dan Quinn

Gus Bradley 

Robert Saleh

Matt Eberflus

Patrick Graham

Brandon Staley

Wink Martindale

Keith Butler

Mike Pettine

Chuck Pagano

Jack DelRio

Raheem Morris

That’s your list? Really? Let’s go through them 1 by 1.

Marvin Lewis - ? The guy is currently unemployed in the NFL and for good reason. Bengals also havent had a good defense while he was there for a long time  

Leslie Frazier - He’s better

Todd Bowles - Do you remember what our defense was like when he was here? 

Dan Quinn - Same as Lewis. 5 years with Atlanta, never had a good defense.

Gus Bradley - his defenses have been ranked about on par with Schwartz 

Robert Saleh - He’s better 

Matt Eberflus - He’s better 

Patrick Graham - his defenses in Miami and NY have been mediocre at best 

Brandon Staley - another consistently mediocre team

Wink Martindale - he’s better 

Keith Butler - he’s better

Mike Pettine - his defenses have been better lately but not very good in past

Chuck Pagano - he’s better 

Jack DelRio - again mediocre at best 

Raheem Morris - this guy is probably going to get fired at the end of the year given how bad Atlanta defense has been. 

So there’s 6-7 guys who are better than Schwartz. Almost all those guys’ teams have invested much more on D than we have given Schwartz. 

Frankly I'm ready to give some of the college coaches another try.

I don't know names because I don't follow college football, but I know that the offenses are more pro oriented. QBs come out of college and light it up in the NFL more frequently, and though we had a disastrous run with Chip, I believe the concept was valid. That being: find fresh, young, hungry college coaching talent but hire a good GM to keep them from getting too power hungry like Chip did. Then let them run the O or D as they like.

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

That’s your list? Really? Let’s go through them 1 by 1.

Marvin Lewis - ? The guy is currently unemployed in the NFL and for good reason. Bengals also havent had a good defense while he was there for a long time  

Leslie Frazier - He’s better

Todd Bowles - Do you remember what our defense was like when he was here? 

Dan Quinn - Same as Lewis. 5 years with Atlanta, never had a good defense.

Gus Bradley - his defenses have been ranked about on par with Schwartz 

Robert Saleh - He’s better 

Matt Eberflus - He’s better 

Patrick Graham - his defenses in Miami and NY have been mediocre at best 

Brandon Staley - another consistently mediocre team

Wink Martindale - he’s better 

Keith Butler - he’s better

Mike Pettine - his defenses have been better lately but not very good in past

Chuck Pagano - he’s better 

Jack DelRio - again mediocre at best 

Raheem Morris - this guy is probably going to get fired at the end of the year given how bad Atlanta defense has been. 

So there’s 6-7 guys who are better than Schwartz. Almost all those guys’ teams have invested much more on D than we have given Schwartz. 

You are cherry picking a bit here, no?

Bill Belichick is one of the best DC’s ever but he’s had some poor defenses in NE. So, with that being said, guys like Marvin Lewis and Dan Quinn fall into the same category. Both those guys had all time great defenses but failed as Head Coaches on defense. Same can be said for a guy like Mike Zimmer. Jack DelRio, Todd Bowles and Gus Bradley are much better than Schwartz. Bowles took over a disaster in Philly. I mean we he took over for an OL coach. 

Graham and Staley are up and comers. Look what Graham did for the Giants defense. They’re ranked in the top 10 this year and Staley has one of the best defenses in the league. 

• Like 1