EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

The cap is not an issue going forward, because you don't add significant free agents until the end of the rebuild, so their first three years correspond to the team's new competitive window.

That means moving some money into 2022, when the cap rises and more veterans leave, is not a big issue. They'll be able to add a few second tier FAs to patch during the rebuild.

In 2023, they should have a huge amount of cap room, because the new contracts for the 2021 and 2022 draft classes don't get signed until 2024 to 2026. So they can eat the remaining dead money and sign a number of top tier FAs.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

i agree, the secondary needs to be a focus. problem for me is after the second round i feel like safety falls off a cliff.

I think there will be value at both S and CB into the third. Of course, the deeper they go, the more flawed the talent.  To succeed they need a FS and the real talent there probably goes in second round.  I haven’t studied other teams and their needs well enough to project at this point.  

HOA combine live stream. Seems to be a lot of interviews so far. Only some broad and vertical jumps mixed in. At some point they will be doing other running drills

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

I think there will be value at both S and CB into the third. Of course, the deeper they go, the more flawed the talent.  To succeed they need a FS and the real talent there probably goes in second round.  I haven’t studied other teams and their needs well enough to project at this point.  

corner is definitely deeper. lots of guys i like in various rounds. i am on team Kary Vincent Jr.

here's a thought - Landon Dickerson will likely go later than he should due to injury. but with Kelce back he wouldnt need to be rushed. could stash him.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

He declared the gender of his child at birth.  :o

17 minutes ago, RLC said:

This might be a hot take, but this team should not use a top 100 pick on an OL in the draft.

I think this is called a horrible take.  Counting on Lane, Brandon, and even Seumalo is the same as counting on DeSean and Jeffrey the past two seasons.  Get young and talented at the most important position group outside of QB.

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

He declared the gender of his child at birth.  :o

Also must have been a Star Wars fan with the middle name 

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m having a side effect.   I didn’t drink my normal 4 cups of coffee because I was afraid I was going to have to piss while waiting in line. So now I am waiting for my noon coffee to kick in.  

I had my shot on Wednesday and I feel fine.  Mind control device is also working like a charm.  

51 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Why do you assume Mailata starts over Dillard?  Why would a team offer good value for Dillard in a trade?

BPA should be the target and defensive secondary deserves attention in this draft.  

I'm just a huge Mailata fan.  I think what he did last year was incredible and I think folks sometimes forget the jump he made.  He never wore a helmet and shoulder pads until the summer of 2018 and in 2020 he's putting Calais Campbell on his back.   He still has a ways to go but he wasn't out there getting abused.  He got beat a few times but I saw enough dominance out of him to tell me that once he learns all the nuances of the game, he's going to be special.

Every single player in the draft is a risk.  We have no idea how any of them will translate in to the NFL.  I'm a huge Kyle Pitts guy but there's that chance he could be Kellen Winslow II.  The same goes with Sewell.  His tape is nice I agree but there's still a chance he could bust.  Mailata has shown he can hang with the best in the NFL.  I'm good with that.  Dillard looked OK when he played LT briefly, never once showed the dominance that Mailata showed.  

I don't think a team is going to offer good value for Dillard, I'm just looking at the numbers game along the line.  Driscoll could potentially play 4 positions across the line compared to Dillard being a LT only.  What's one of the best traits a backup can offer?  Versatility.  

There's a good chance that Miles Sanders is the lone player left from the 2019 draft come week 1.  I'm not happy about that but I think it's realistic to think it's possible.

Jordan Mailata was one of the lone bright spots, possibly the only bright spot on offense and people want to replace him already.  I think and will continue to think he's going to be a special player.

Chazz Surratt - 4.71 

Brandon Smith - 4.56

Eric Stokes Jr - 4.25!!!

47 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

i'm willing to give Kvon a shot. McLeod is hurt and old. i'd like them try try Maddox back there

Yeah, I mean they don't really have much of a choice but to throw Kvon in there. I'd be fine with a pair of safety's in this draft in the first 4 rounds. Just so many needs. 

9 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I had my shot on Wednesday and I feel fine.  Mind control device is also working like a charm.  

I heard it turns people into Cowboys fans.

15 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

I think this is called a horrible take.  Counting on Lane, Brandon, and even Seumalo is the same as counting on DeSean and Jeffrey the past two seasons.  Get young and talented at the most important position group outside of QB.

It's not quite that bad, but the point is valid that we need to get younger and add depth.

1 minute ago, ToastJenkins said:

but i dont buy that Stokes is a sub 4.3 guy

They are using the same third party timers the combine uses. Hand start, laser finish. 

41 minutes ago, RLC said:

This might be a hot take, but this team should not use a top 100 pick on an OL in the draft.

False.  If Wyatt Davis is available at 37 you sprint to the podium to make the pick.  Brooks is breaking down, Kelce will be here another year and then Isaac will probably move to center, so you are going to need 2 guards relatively quickly.

12 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I'm just a huge Mailata fan.  I think what he did last year was incredible and I think folks sometimes forget the jump he made.  He never wore a helmet and shoulder pads until the summer of 2018 and in 2020 he's putting Calais Campbell on his back.   He still has a ways to go but he wasn't out there getting abused.  He got beat a few times but I saw enough dominance out of him to tell me that once he learns all the nuances of the game, he's going to be special.

Every single player in the draft is a risk.  We have no idea how any of them will translate in to the NFL.  I'm a huge Kyle Pitts guy but there's that chance he could be Kellen Winslow II.  The same goes with Sewell.  His tape is nice I agree but there's still a chance he could bust.  Mailata has shown he can hang with the best in the NFL.  I'm good with that.  Dillard looked OK when he played LT briefly, never once showed the dominance that Mailata showed.  

I don't think a team is going to offer good value for Dillard, I'm just looking at the numbers game along the line.  Driscoll could potentially play 4 positions across the line compared to Dillard being a LT only.  What's one of the best traits a backup can offer?  Versatility.  

There's a good chance that Miles Sanders is the lone player left from the 2019 draft come week 1.  I'm not happy about that but I think it's realistic to think it's possible.

Jordan Mailata was one of the lone bright spots, possibly the only bright spot on offense and people want to replace him already.  I think and will continue to think he's going to be a special player.

I would not complain with Sewell at 6 and kicking him to LG or RG if Brooks has issues, which he seems to have every year now. 

I’ve been touting Eric Stokes but don’t buy that 4.25. He’s fast but not that fast. He’s a sub 4.4 guy.  

40 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

HOA combine live stream. Seems to be a lot of interviews so far. Only some broad and vertical jumps mixed in. At some point they will be doing other running drills

I thought they said there wasn't going to be a combine? They change their mind?

Just now, Mike030270 said:

I thought they said there wasn't going to be a combine? They change their mind?

This is a third party combine with a select few prospects. Its being held by the company training these guys for the draft.

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

@Mike31mt

Tell me about Tony Fields. 

He was awesome for us, a transfer but our most impactful defensive player from day 1. 

Its a shame we had some opt outs and some injuries, because our defense could have been historically good instead of just really good.  

But that is one reason Im a little concerned about him in the NFL.  Our DL ate up a lot of the blocking so he could fly around and make plays.  He is like a missile, a playmaker, good nose for the football, but Id be worried he would turn into an Ernie Sims type where he relies on his athleticism to run around blocks instead of just doing his job. 

I really really liked him at WVU though

1 minute ago, jwill2420 said:

I’ve been touting Eric Stokes but don’t buy that 4.25. He’s fast but not that fast. He’s a sub 4.4 guy.  

I'll post it when I find it in a tweet. He may not play that fast but he flew in the 40

Archived