EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Who knows. You're rebuilding, you stock up on young athletes with upside and see how many you can coach up.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Howie... Howie... Howie.    Continuing to make bad decisions worse.  Yay!!!

What's the big deal? We knew we weren't shopping for FAs this year. In 2022, with the cap rising and some money off the table, we can add a couple.

In 2023, time to get the NFL Plus Account.

9 hours ago, uncphillyfan said:

Where are we know as far as cap?

Have you heard of salary cap hell?   The Eagles are in the 5th circle.  

Yeah, it's easy to pile on Howie right now, but these restructures just make sense and are largely necessary to get under the cap this year. His hand is forced a bit right now, and it could work out anyway with the roster being so young in the coming years and little upcoming contract extensions. 

44 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Think that was Grant from UCF.

That also would be a great pick.

Yeah #27, that's him.  

Just now, austinfan said:

What's the big deal? We knew we weren't shopping for FAs this year. In 2022, with the cap rising and some money off the table, we can add a couple.

In 2023, time to get the NFL Plus Account.

The big deal is that Slay should have never been traded for in the first place... but if he was... then you don't give him an extension for market value.   And now they have to deal with the big cap hit, by keeping him around longer.    This isn't news, just the falling of the dominoes that Howie has set up long ago, and I balked at at the time they happened.   

Smart GMs don't trade for a 29 year old CB... for a 3rd round pick, and then give them an extension at market value... and then kick the can of that mistake down the down even further... forcing you to keep that player around another year past his cost valuation.  Had they only traded for him, they'd be able to dump the salary or even trade him with no cost to the cap this year, free up the future cap money and recoup some of the draft capital they wasted.  But, nope, they trade for him, then sign him on top, forcing their hand into a deeper level of stupid.  

Of course, Howie knew all along that a rebuild was necessary, which is why he was giving away draft capital AND cap space for these short terms fixes.   It's air tight logic.

10 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Yeah, it's easy to pile on Howie right now, but these restructures just make sense and are largely necessary to get under the cap this year. His hand is forced a bit right now, and it could work out anyway with the roster being so young in the coming years and little upcoming contract extensions. 

Howie is showing little to no creativity and plays the same card over and over. Hopefully he surprises us once the league year starts. 

It makes sense to do with vets because we’re in such an awful predicament, but Slay was different. We could have traded him. He’s all but wasted here for the next two years. 

12 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Well, Ive been piling on him for over a year.  So, I'm not going to stop now while the things that I warned against at the time come to fruition.

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The big deal is that Slay should have never been traded for in the first place... but if he was... then you don't give him an extension for market value.   And now they have to deal with the big cap hit, by keeping him around longer.    This isn't news, just the falling of the dominoes that Howie has set up long ago, and I balked at at the time they happened.   

Smart GMs don't trade for a 29 year old CB... for a 3rd round pick, and then give them an extension at market value... and then kick the can of that mistake down the down even further... forcing you to keep that player around another year past his cost valuation.  Had they only traded for him, they'd be able to dump the salary or even trade him with no cost to the cap this year, free up the future cap money and recoup some of the draft capital they wasted.  But, nope, they trade for him, then sign him on top, forcing their hand into a deeper level of stupid.  

Of course, Howie knew all along that a rebuild was necessary, which is why he was giving away draft capital AND cap space for these short terms fixes.   It's air tight logic.

My thoughts exactly. Now no matter what we are paying Slay until he’s 35.  Awesome. 

7 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Howie is showing little to no creativity and plays the same card over and over. Hopefully he surprises us once the league year starts. 

It makes sense to do with vets because we’re in such an awful predicament, but Slay was different. We could have traded him. He’s all but wasted here for the next two years. 

Yeah, there's only so much you can do though, you know? One thing Howie has working for him is a cap that will be significantly higher in a couple years. To not use that resource when you're beginning the offseason over $40M over the cap would be a mistake. You have to use that resource. And we know they have done some little creative things with the Alshon and Malik moves.

Slay was traded for a 3. After getting a big contract when we acquired him and having a somewhat down season (still think he's very good, but definitely overpaid), Slay's value is only declining. Maybe we could get a 5 for him. I'd rather have him for the next couple years, and use his contract to help get us under the cap this year.

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

It should teach you since we would have had to cut him just like the Ravens did because we couldnt afford his contract. 

So would I rather have Hurts and Taylor who will at least be on the team or nothing? Thats a tough one there. 

Actually, my suggestion to acquire Ngakoue goes back to the old board before the 2019 season — when it was already clear he wanted out of JAX prior to his holdout, and prior to the Eagles bringing back Desean Jackson.  If I wanted to cherry pick I would easily argue the Eagles had the cap room when I suggested acquiring him.

1 hour ago, Iggles25 said:

Think that was Grant from UCF.

That also would be a great pick.

Andre Cisco is pretty special

15 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Andre Cisco is pretty special

Absolutely! He was such a ball hawk at Syracuse. 13 INTs in his career.

Between Moehrig, Grant, Holland, Cisco, and Ford, not to mention Washington, Nasilirdeen, Sterns, LeCounte, and Blankenship, it would be downright criminal not to address the safety position this year.

In fact, I'd take one from each group if possible.

Rebuild that back end of the D. Let Wallace compete at SS and slot CB.

11 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Absolutely! He was such a ball hawk at Syracuse. 13 INTs in his career.

Between Moehrig, Grant, Holland, Cisco, and Ford, not to mention Washington, Nasilirdeen, Sterns, LeCounte, and Blankenship, it would be downright criminal not to address the safety position this year.

In fact, I'd take one from each group if possible.

Rebuild that back end of the D. Let Wallace compete at SS and slot CB.

If Shaun Wade is there in the third round, he's an auto pick in my mind. He might be the best slot corner in the draft, and he can also play safety. His stock has fallen since he was so bad at the outside, but he is a plug and play member of the secondary from day one.

54 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Yeah, there's only so much you can do though, you know? One thing Howie has working for him is a cap that will be significantly higher in a couple years. To not use that resource when you're beginning the offseason over $40M over the cap would be a mistake. You have to use that resource. And we know they have done some little creative things with the Alshon and Malik moves.

Slay was traded for a 3. After getting a big contract when we acquired him and having a somewhat down season (still think he's very good, but definitely overpaid), Slay's value is only declining. Maybe we could get a 5 for him. I'd rather have him for the next couple years, and use his contract to help get us under the cap this year.

The issue is that HOWIE is the one doing it.  Howie created this mess, and now we watch him 'fix' it.  

Creative with the Alshon and Malik moves?   You mean like signing Malik in the first place, or restructuring Alshon after they drafted the guy they wanted to replace him?   Nothing 'creative' about anything Howie is currently doing.  It's sad to watch, especially as we knew this was what he was going to do.

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

If Shaun Wade is there in the third round, he's an auto pick in my mind. He might be the best slot corner in the draft, and he can also play safety. His stock has fallen since he was so bad at the outside, but he is a plug and play member of the secondary from day one.

Good call. Forgot that he projects as a potential safety in the NFL. Would be a welcome upgrade there or at slot CB. After watching this atrocious secondary the last few years, and with a new D Coordinator, looking forward to an overhaul of that group.

5 hours ago, Mike31mt said:

I got the Moderna vaccine, and got my 2nd shot at about 730am.  That night, around 10 or so, I felt a little off, like a cold was coming. Woke up the next morning fine.

Some people said they got very sore, had chills, mild fever, etc lasting for like 12-18 hours.  Thats the worst Ive heard.

Ive heard many rumors about how blood type, age, physical condition, etc. relate to side effects but Im not sure any of it is true

My wife after her 2nd dose was in pretty bad shape, body aches chills, fever, pretty miserable for about 24 hours, then my parents in their old age not best of health were fine after 2nd dose so who knows.

14 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Ugh Wade is off my board he got abused 

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

My wife after her 2nd dose was in pretty bad shape, body aches chills, fever, pretty miserable for about 24 hours, then my parents in their old age not best of health were fine after 2nd dose so who knows.

My wife had the Moderna one and the second one kicked her butt for about 24 hours — the same symptoms you described  

I had the Pfizer one and only had a sore arm. 

14 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The issue is that HOWIE is the one doing it.  Howie created this mess, and now we watch him 'fix' it.  

Creative with the Alshon and Malik moves?   You mean like signing Malik in the first place, or restructuring Alshon after they drafted the guy they wanted to replace him?   Nothing 'creative' about anything Howie is currently doing.  It's sad to watch, especially as we knew this was what he was going to do.

No, I don't mean the initial Alshon and Malik signings. I'm talking about designating them or post June-1 cuts and making cap space for '21.

7 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

No, I don't mean the initial Alshon and Malik signings. I'm talking about designating them or post June-1 cuts and making cap space for '21.

I know you didn't.  My point is, that's not that creative... That's like using a magazine as a dustpan after you broke the lamp, because you can't afford a dustpan.  You make do with what you have.  But, it's hardly creative.  June 1 cuts have been built into the CBA for a long time to free up cap space, and even in the CBA to cut players early and designate them June 1.   Nothing 'creative' about it.  Now it's pretty much SOP.

Howie tried to outsmart everyone with these bad contracts... being creative with void years and pushing signing bonus costs well beyond the end of the actual contract.  And now his 'creativity' is coming back to bite the Eagles in the backside.  Sorry, I'm not seeing anything positive out of anything Howie is currently doing.  Not one thing he's done has been 'good'. 

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I know you didn't.  My point is, that's not that creative... That's like using a magazine as a dustpan after you broke the lamp, because you can't afford a dustpan.  You make do with what you have.  But, it's hardly creative.  June 1 cuts have been built into the CBA for a long time to free up cap space, and even in the CBA to cut players early and designate them June 1.   Nothing 'creative' about it.  Now it's pretty much SOP.

Howie tried to outsmart everyone with these bad contracts... being creative with void years and pushing signing bonus costs well beyond the end of the actual contract.  And now his 'creativity' is coming back to bite the Eagles in the backside.  Sorry, I'm not seeing anything positive out of anything Howie is currently doing.  Not one thing he's done has been 'good'. 

Of course it's not that creative. That was sort of my point to Manu. His criticism was that Howie hasn't been doing anything creative with the cap. Well, there isn't a lot of creativity there to begin with. It's mostly straight forward. It is what is is. 

I'm not Howie's biggest fan by any means. I just think the criticism for the restructures announced today are unfair. It's necessary to be cap compliant, and aren't detrimental like previous contract restructures because we don't have anyone to pay over the next couple years anyway.

To clean up your cap mess, you have to make it a little messier first. It's step 1.

3 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

To clean up your cap mess, you have to make it a little messier first. It's step 1.

To clean up the cap mess, you need to hire a new manager.  The current one created the issue, and shouldn't be trusted to fix what he broke.    

When you hire a plumber to get your sink in working order, you don't bring him back after he's flooded the kitchen.  You bring in someone competent.  Howie is just a consensus builder after all, from what I've heard from his defenders, who surrounds himself with 'good people'... five future GMs answer to Howie, after all.   Well, promote one of them, and kick Howie back into the closet, where he belongs.

30 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

To clean up the cap mess, you need to hire a new manager.  The current one created the issue, and shouldn't be trusted to fix what he broke.    

When you hire a plumber to get your sink in working order, you don't bring him back after he's flooded the kitchen.  You bring in someone competent.  Howie is just a consensus builder after all, from what I've heard from his defenders, who surrounds himself with 'good people'... five future GMs answer to Howie, after all.   Well, promote one of them, and kick Howie back into the closet, where he belongs.

You had me up until the end. Just fire Howie

Archived