EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Think that was Grant from UCF.

That also would be a great pick.

There's some good Ss in this class that could help this team moving forward.  If Howie doesn't take one, especially if we do trade back and acquire more picks, then his drafting should be indefensible even to his last remaining supporters.

In fact, should some other team offer to trade up and give us more picks then I'd like to see us double dip (or go double bubble to use a UK phrase) at S in this draft.  We didn't get to see much of Wallace so who knows what he really is, but even if he can be a decent starter in today's passing NFL having 3 Ss of good quality is something that can only help.  How many snaps/game do teams employ 3 Ss now?  We're in a rebuild so let them grow into their roles together and form a strong partnership that could last a handful or more seasons.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

You had me up until the end. Just fire Howie

Lol. Lurie will never do that.  So, he gets promoted to where he can do no harm.

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Lol. Lurie will never do that.  So, he gets promoted to where he can do no harm.

Swerve, he sells the team to Howie 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Of course, Howie knew all along that a rebuild was necessary, which is why he was giving away draft capital AND cap space for these short terms fixes.   It's air tight logic.

Game.  Set.  Match.

EMB hit nail on head.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

image.png.3e7babe30f186dedcf7e08109f481a6e.png

Agree or disagree?(Not mine)

I like Calvin a hair ahead of Moss. Moss just dogged it too much for me and his last couple years you forgot he was even in the league. 

Also I don’t know how the bracket was determined but I don’t think Julio is top 4 all time. He’s definitely not better than TO or Fitz in their prime. 

3 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I like Calvin a hair ahead of Moss. Moss just dogged it too much for me and his last couple years you forgot he was even in the league. 

I'm not sure Owns is better than Fitz

2 hours ago, Iggles25 said:

Absolutely! He was such a ball hawk at Syracuse. 13 INTs in his career.

Between Moehrig, Grant, Holland, Cisco, and Ford, not to mention Washington, Nasilirdeen, Sterns, LeCounte, and Blankenship, it would be downright criminal not to address the safety position this year.

In fact, I'd take one from each group if possible.

Rebuild that back end of the D. Let Wallace compete at SS and slot CB.

You're forgetting who's running the show.  The mindset will be that with so much talent available some will get pushed back further and we can look at some high quality UDFA who could have been drafted!  

Give me at least 1 if not 2 safeties and a corner in the middle rounds.  Epps might very well be our 2nd best player behind Slay in the backfield right now.  We need talent in the worst way.

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

My wife had the Moderna one and the second one kicked her butt for about 24 hours — the same symptoms you described  

I had the Pfizer one and only had a sore arm. 

Hmmm. Interesting my wife got the moderna as well.🤔

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Howie is showing little to no creativity and plays the same card over and over. Hopefully he surprises us once the league year starts. 

It makes sense to do with vets because we’re in such an awful predicament, but Slay was different. We could have traded him. He’s all but wasted here for the next two years. 

To trade Slay, the Eagles would need to account for his $14 million salary.  Rebuild to Howie and Lurie doesn’t mean tank.  It means compete but understand we need serious retooling throughout the team. 

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

To trade Slay, the Eagles would need to account for his $14 million salary.  Rebuild to Howie and Lurie doesn’t mean tank.  It means compete but understand we need serious retooling throughout the team. 

They would have saved $6M on the cap by trading Slay vs $9M by agreeing to owe him a bunch of dead money in the future. Give me the asset and future cap space.

A team with a serious need of retooling has minimal need for a 30 year old CB, especially if we’re moving to a zone-based scheme. 

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

If Shaun Wade is there in the third round, he's an auto pick in my mind. He might be the best slot corner in the draft, and he can also play safety. His stock has fallen since he was so bad at the outside, but he is a plug and play member of the secondary from day one.

Nah.  Lots better choices at S.  If I took a S/CB, it would be Holland.  He is a decent nickel but that seems a bit high for a nickel corner to me.  But that is all he is.  He was awful outside.

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Owens over Fitzgerald?  That is nuts.  Swan made the list but not Stallworth?  What was the criteria to be on the brackets?  Disagree.

15 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

They would have saved $6M on the cap by trading Slay vs $9M by agreeing to owe him a bunch of dead money in the future. Give me the asset and future cap space.

A team with a serious need of retooling has minimal need for a 30 year old CB, especially if we’re moving to a zone-based scheme. 

That $6 million doesn’t happen until after the new league year.  Eagles have to be under the cap before any trade can go through. Math just doesn’t work the way you want it to.

BTW, fact they left $6 million in salary could mean a trade happens after the new league year begins.  Unlikely, but possible.  Slay’s greatest value may be before the trading deadline.  In the hunt for a playoff berth but your star CB just went out and the cupboard is bare, have I got a deal for you.  

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

You would need a trade partner to pull that off. At this point not many teams are buying right now, esp with all the cuts about to be made. There will be better and cheaper options for teams in FA. Takes two to tango. 

10 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

That $6 million doesn’t happen until after the new league year.  Eagles have to be under the cap before any trade can go through. Math just doesn’t work the way you want it to.

BTW, fact they left $6 million in salary could mean a trade happens after the new league year begins.  Unlikely, but possible.  Slay’s greatest value may be before the trading deadline.  In the hunt for a playoff berth but your star CB just went out and the cupboard is bare, have I got a deal for you.  

Highly unlikely as they just kicked some down the road... that all comes due when traded.

5 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

BTW, fact they left $6 million in salary could mean a trade happens after the new league year begins.  

Trading him after restructuring him would be even more disastrous. It would amount to roughly $21M in dead cap space in 2021. After June 1 it would be $6M dead for 2021 and $15M for 2022. 

9 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

You would need a trade partner to pull that off. At this point not many teams are buying right now, esp with all the cuts about to be made. There will be better and cheaper options for teams in FA. Takes two to tango. 

Perhaps no one wanted Slay. That certainly doesn’t make me feel better. 

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

The seeding on this is so lazy. In what world is Owens/Fitz a first round matchup?

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The seeding on this is so lazy. In what world is Owens/Fitz a first round matchup? And why is Shannon Sharpe on a best WR of all time? 

Sterling Sharpe. 

Not sure how Marques Colston didn't at least make the list. Don't think he'd get out of RD 1, but he was a baller for the good part of a decade.

12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Sterling Sharpe. 

Yea I realized after the fact. Looking on my phone I didn’t notice there was a team logo on each. I managed to delete my confusion of Chad Johnson for Calvin Johnson :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Highly unlikely as they just kicked some down the road... that all comes due when traded.

True.  But it is possible with less of a hit this year at the trade deadline. 

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Is that Derrick Mason going against Don Hutson? Wtf is Derrick Mason doing anywhere near this list?

4 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

Is that Derrick Mason going against Don Hutson? Wtf is Derrick Mason doing anywhere near this list?

Well JJAW couldn’t be on it cause he is too great and then would be just a dumb bracket as he would cakewalk to championship. So mason became the choice 

Archived