EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'm going to spoil picks.

Pick #1 Trevor Lawrence.

Suck it. 

Funny thing is on NFL network just 10 mins ago they said the Jags FO said they have not made there choice and still decisding between Lawrence, Wilson and Fields, lol.

OK, Sure they are. :)

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few predictions for Thursday night:

— Sewell and Slater both get drafted top 10.  OT is a premium position now, even more than CB and WR

— Surtain will be the first defensive player off the board, either to DEN at #9 or DAL at 10

– CIN takes Chase at #5

— QB goes at 1, 2, 3, and 7 (I think ATL might grab Pitts, DET trades back or takes Fields).  That 5th QB will be sitting there after pick #10 

— CHI is a prime suspect to make a big trade up; perhaps #20 to 11 to grab the 5th QB.  They’re desperate.

3 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Funny thing is on NFL network just 10 mins ago they said the Jags FO said they have not made there choice and still decisding between Lawrence, Wilson and Fields, lol.

OK, Sure they are. 🙂

Yea they just gave Lawrence their playbook for funnsies 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't like the lack of production. 11 career sacks in college?

I haven’t even watched him, I don’t think. The scouting reports I’ve read are underwhelming compared to others were talking about picking. 

28 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

I'm really really starting to like doubling up on the Jr's at CB. Whether Surtain/Horn plus Samuel. Samuel could play inside or outside, swiss army knife for Gannon's secondary. And he doesn't play the run like his old man either, which is a positive. 

I was in support of back to back corners if Farley fell and had a better health report but that looks bleak right now.

We have to look at this as a 2-year draft almost.  Don't blow your load on one position this year unless it's clear cut BPA.  Next year, we might be in position to get Derek Stingley.  You draft Horn/Surtain and Stingley next year and CB is no longer a problem, it's a strength.  There are A LOT of corners next year.  Going to be a stacked class.

I'd rather a Tier 2 WR at 37 instead of Samuel and then get the blue chipper next year.

:sleep:

Beyond boring. Half of his 11 sacks look like he was playing against 2020 Carson Wentz

Kwitty Paye is steady but not dynamic.  Waddle, Horn, Surtain and yes even Smith are all dynamic, impact players.  I don't understand Howie's love affair with drafting steady players rather than dynamic playmakers.

Watching Paye highlights and Chase Winovich flashes just as much if not more than Paye at times.  Winovich was drafted at pick 77 in round 3.  Not saying Paye is a 3rd rounder but my goodness if we take him at 12...

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Absolutely nothing impressive about his highlights.  QB's holding the ball to long and blown assignments by the OL.  He doesn't beat anyone with the upper echelon moves that stud DE's use.  He is another Barnett.

42 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

What if Pitts and Chase are sitting there and he trades up for Paye?  That would be the even MORE Howie thing to do.

I'm preparing myself for the absolute worst.

My reaction to this scenario would be much worse than if I stared directly at the Ark after the Notseez opened it.  

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Beyond boring. Half of his 11 sacks look like he was playing against 2020 Carson Wentz

I remember watching that game against Minnesota and posting about Paye in the Blog. He was incredible that night. I don’t think I watched a Michigan game after that. 

Per pff

Jamar Johnson: 31.7 passer rating allowed since 2019

1st among draft-eligible safeties 

What cracks me up is this draft (and the next one) Howie is almost certainly going to follow the board put together by the scouts with input but not control by the coaches.

So people are preparing to criticize him for doing what they criticized him for not doing. Which is why fans are generally a-holes.

If Paye is their player, it's going to be because the scouts and Rucker lobbied hard for him over an offensive player.

And it'll be because they studied the film and combined with his athleticism, see him as a better pro than college player.

And yes, Graham was a fine pick at #12, after overcoming injuries he's put together an excellent career, he's not an elite sack guy but a better player than many DEs who have more sacks b/c he's a plus run defense who plays a disciplined game (controls the edge) and gets a lot of pressure, not just sacks.

7 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Kind of odd timing after last night. It’s the hitting.  Or lack there of.   

I have no idea about the Phillies overall season, other than the constant carping about pitching and how much Moniak sucks.

49 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Here's a real nightmare scenario. What if Howie trades ahead of the Giants because he is afraid that the Giants will get Paye and he burns up an additional 3rd rounder to do it?  That would be the ultimate  Howie screw up and not out of the realm of possibility.

He did trade two 3rd round picks in 2010 to move from 26 to 13 so he can beat the Giants to Brandon Graham. Giants ended up taking Jason Pierre-Paul anyways so it's not like they missed out on much. I'm assuming the Eagles take Paye until Howie proves me wrong. Can't be disappointed if you've already kept your expectations low 😎

From a resource management perspective I'd hate using the 1st round pick on a DE. He does have an interesting backstory though, and if we do end up taking him in the 1st round maybe we shouldn't be quick to write him off just yet.

NFL.com posted an interesting video on their Facebook page about how his mother fled a Civil War in Liberia twice and immigrated to the US. Seems like a likeable guy, one who could potentially live up to the hype, although I'm sure we wish he was a top WR or CB prospect instead of another DE.

https://fb.watch/58c5DKjmkx/

40 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Here's a real nightmare scenario. What if Howie trades ahead of the Giants because he is afraid that the Giants will get Paye and he burns up an additional 3rd rounder to do it?  That would be the ultimate  Howie screw up and not out of the realm of possibility.

giphy.gif.7829f4d63d0bcdee1ecc201c859a4c94.gif

8 minutes ago, hputenis said:

My reaction to this scenario would be much worse than if I stared directly at the Ark after the Notseez opened it.  

BFB1A192-8019-403A-A63B-A1E35B91EE4B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

What cracks me up is this draft (and the next one) Howie is almost certainly going to follow the board put together by the scouts with input but not control by the coaches.

So people are preparing to criticize him for doing what they criticized him for not doing. Which is why fans are generally a-holes.

If Paye is their player, it's going to be because the scouts and Rucker lobbied hard for him over an offensive player.

And it'll be because they studied the film and combined with his athleticism, see him as a better pro than college player.

And yes, Graham was a fine pick at #12, after overcoming injuries he's put together an excellent career, he's not an elite sack guy but a better player than many DEs who have more sacks b/c he's a plus run defense who plays a disciplined game (controls the edge) and gets a lot of pressure, not just sacks.

Howie’s bad picks are always the coaches’ fault and the good ones are his.

We get it. 

As for Graham at 12, I agree. Fans have a warped sense of what a top 15 pick is expected to be. 

11 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Yes, because Roseman has never overridden his scouts or coaches.

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that league "chatter" is swirling around Stanford QB Davis Mills as a potential first-round selection.

Mills (6'4/212) has been "massively rising up boards" according to Pauline, who hears that the New England Patriots could be the team to watch for a relatively early selection of the Stanford signal-caller. Just not at the No. 15 pick. Two scenarios to watch for with this one -- either New England could trade down in the first round and take Mills (trading down is very much motus operandi for the outfit) late on Day 1, or they could trade up from the second round with the same result. Chicago and Washington have also been linked to Mills, though Pauline does not believe either club would pony up a first-round selection for the quarterback.

Paye is far from my first choice of realistic options at 12 but at least he has upside.  He needs work on his pass rush moves and counters but has good athleticism.  One can be taught and one can't.

10 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Yes, because Roseman has never overridden his scouts or coaches.

Only when those nefarious coaches threatened to give him a swirlie. 

Archived