EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I care about all of it, because all of it matters. 

Of course the process impacts the bottom line.  But he has been the gm for a decade.  If the process is still a problem, then Howie is the problem.  

For a job at that pay grade, the bottom line is what counts.  Dissecting the minutiae of how he does his bad job is water under the bridge at this point.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

To both the FO haters and the FO huggers...this isn’t elementary school algebra.

All that matters are results.  I don’t care who Howie deferred to or who he overruled.  No one cares about the process.

Hes the GM.  I don’t care that he has his own board and overrules the scouts.  That’s what GMs are supposed to do.  I care that his picks suck.

My favorite argument is that when Joe Douglas was here, it was all his fault, and Howie is dissolved of all blame.  Howie apparently had nothing to do with the draft during those years.  As the GM.  Of the football team.  It was all Joe Douglas.   Howie just needs some more chances to prove himself as a football guy.    

53 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Doug couldn’t put his own coaching staff together and you’re trying to spin this nonsense that he had say over our top picks?

Stop. 

Doug did put his own coaching staff together, it was so bad they had to do an intervention before last season.

16 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Per Bob McGinnis

Surprised Jabril Cox is that far down on the list.  

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Of course the process impacts the bottom line.  But he has been the gm for a decade.  If the process is still a problem, then Howie is the problem.  

For a job at that pay grade, the bottom line is what counts.  Dissecting the minutiae of how he does his bad job is water under the bridge at this point.

And what's his track record?  A SB, and something like 9th or 10th in winning % and playoff appearances.

Good luck finding a better GM, since the better ones are unlikely to become available.

Just win baby.

My preference at 12.

1. Chase

2. Pitts

3. Horn

4. Smith

5. Waddle

6. Surtain

7. Slater

8. Parsons

9. JOK

10. Paye

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

And what's his track record?  A SB, and something like 9th or 10th in winning % and playoff appearances.

Good luck finding a better GM, since the better ones are unlikely to become available.

Just win baby.

4-11-1

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Paye is the exact opposite of Derek Barnett.  Athletic traits over college production.  

Paye’s athleticism is pretty overrated.  If you want to go off pure explosive traits over production, there are better athletes who will be available later.

Thats not to say that Paye is a bad athlete; he’s a good one.  He’s just not enough of one to go #12 overall because of athleticism.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Are we going with true preference?  If so, you can take Pitts and Chase off your list.  No chance.  Otherwise I'll go with Lawrence and Sewell as my top 2.  

I was taking the top 4 QBs off my list. Anyone else I feel like has some sort of chance to be there. 

Just now, eagle45 said:

Paye’s athleticism is pretty overrated.  If you want to go off pure explosive traits over production, there are better athletes who will be available later.

Thats not to say that Paye is a bad athlete; he’s a good one.  He’s just not enough of one to go #12 overall because of athleticism.

I get Marcus Smith vibes from Paye.

Of the options it seems there is gonna be at 12, I’m thinking the pick might be Devonta Smith, and I’m ok with that. 

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So you listed those 10 guys all above Sewell?

Correct. Because I don’t want to draft a T that high this year. We gotta see what our guys can do. It’s already a throw away year. Make sure T is a need first. 

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I am not saying he's LT.  I am just saying he is the opposite of DB.  Dude had 2 sacks last season.  2!!!!!!  Good luck selling that to the fan base.  

Hard Pass!

I agree, but I do think their final nfl production will be similar.

Howie offered a 1st for Jalen Ramsey. He traded a 3 for Slay. He would have used his 2017 first rounder on Conley had he not had legal issues. 

I feel pretty confident that Howie will prefer Horn/Surtain over Paye, especially in *this* climate.

I think Lowie have learned their lesson:

AR was the Peter Principle, great HC who got the idea he could handle personnel, now in KC he defers to his GM

Chip, who thought he knew everything, as both 2015 and 2016 in SF showed, without someone to restrain him, a total disaster

Doug, who was happy to get a job, then won a SB, and Schwartz, who thought he should be the HC.

Lesson - make sure your HC is just the HC, you want someone who'll give input but doesn't expect to have a veto or a weighted vote in discussions. Belichick and Carroll are the exception to the rule.

Lean on your personnel group, give the coaches input but not decision making authority, build your draft board then follow your board.

If that doesn't work, fire your personnel guys and try to hire better ones.

Eagles don't win a SB without the 2016 draft, 2017 was a bad draft, 2018 a great draft (no 1st rd yet Goedert, Sweat and Mailata), 2019 remains to be seen, i.e. Dillard, 2020 could produce 4-5 starters (Reagor, Hurts, Wallace, Driscoll, maybe Bradley or Watkins).

Realistic big board for me at 12 

1. Patrick Surtain

2. Rashawn Slater

3. Kwity Paye

4. Jaycee Horn

5. Devonta Smith

6. Jaylen Waddle

7. Alijah Vera-Tucker

Slater and Paye would be boring picks but games are won and lost in the trenches and in my opinion they are better prospects than Horn and the two Alabama WR's. I would stay FAR away from guys with injury red flags like Farley and Phillips.

15 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I get Marcus Smith vibes from Paye.

He couldn't be any different than Marcus Smith. Smith was essentially a 3-4 OLB without the ability to cover or play in space who got most of his sacks in college standing up. Paye is a hand in the dirt DE who is good against the run who can also line up inside on passing downs. Beyond the Michigan connection, Brandon Graham is a really good comparable.

3 hours ago, Original Sin said:

You let him play edge the majority of time and he will produce , he never had a home , lined up everywhere 

It's that versatility that intrigues.

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think Lowie have learned their lesson:

AR was the Peter Principle, great HC who got the idea he could handle personnel, now in KC he defers to his GM

Chip, who thought he knew everything, as both 2015 and 2016 in SF showed, without someone to restrain him, a total disaster

Doug, who was happy to get a job, then won a SB, and Schwartz, who thought he should be the HC.

Lesson - make sure your HC is just the HC, you want someone who'll give input but doesn't expect to have a veto or a weighted vote in discussions. Belichick and Carroll are the exception to the rule.

Lean on your personnel group, give the coaches input but not decision making authority, build your draft board then follow your board.

If that doesn't work, fire your personnel guys and try to hire better ones.

Eagles don't win a SB without the 2016 draft, 2017 was a bad draft, 2018 a great draft (no 1st rd yet Goedert, Sweat and Mailata), 2019 remains to be seen, i.e. Dillard, 2020 could produce 4-5 starters (Reagor, Hurts, Wallace, Driscoll, maybe Bradley or Watkins).

The Eagles don't win a Super Bowl without:

Nick Foles, who the FO shipped out of town;

Carson Wentz, who the FO shipped out of town;

Frank Reich, who the FO tried to remove before the SB season;

Doug Pederson, who the FO fired.

Exactly how did Dillard become a flop? Because he tore his bicep? Before the injury Stoutland had him as his starting LT in 2020.

I have no real opinion on prospects in this draft, truth is, due to the strange season, players sitting out, no combine, dubious pro day testing, inability to do in-depth research on a lot of these guys, none of us have a clue how good most of these players are. Is Lance a top 10 or 2nd rd QB - had he played a full season we might have a clue. Is Parsons smart enough to play MLB in the NFL or is he one of these uber-athletic but scheme limited edge rusher LBs?

I just hope the Eagles don't screw up the first two days, and find some steals on the third day. I'd be picking up more picks and gambling on every player with top talent who fell due to injury, lack of game film, etc. Guys are going to fall through the cracks, and other guys will get over drafted (Alabama players, etc) because there's more film and they're safe picks.

14 minutes ago, blindside said:

Of the options it seems there is gonna be at 12, I’m thinking the pick might be Devonta Smith, and I’m ok with that. 

I don't think he'll be on the board, and even if he is, I don't think he's the type of player Lowie would like. I would be pumped if he's the pick though.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

Exactly how did Dillard become a flop? Because he tore his bicep? Before the injury Stoutland had him as his starting LT in 2020.

I have no real opinion on prospects in this draft, truth is, due to the strange season, players sitting out, no combine, dubious pro day testing, inability to do in-depth research on a lot of these guys, none of us have a clue how good most of these players are. Is Lance a top 10 or 2nd rd QB - had he played a full season we might have a clue. Is Parsons smart enough to play MLB in the NFL or is he one of these uber-athletic but scheme limited edge rusher LBs?

I just hope the Eagles don't screw up the first two days, and find some steals on the third day. I'd be picking up more picks and gambling on every player with top talent who fell due to injury, lack of game film, etc. Guys are going to fall through the cracks, and other guys will get over drafted (Alabama players, etc) because there's more film and they're safe picks.

Because he was complete ass his rookie year.  Got tossed around like a child when any defender tried to come at him with a power move.  Got blown up by linebackers when he went to block on a screen.  Displayed a complete lack of the mentality necessary to play the position at a pro level. 

Haven't seen it discussed yet, but has anyone stopped to think that maybe Smith and Waddle are not the type of WR's the Eagles need. Other than kicking Reagor into the slot it's not going to work. Despite what Siri said, guys like Smith and Waddle aren't going to play the X position. They need an X or slot guy unless they plan to move Reagor to the slot and obviously they aren't going to take a slot guy in round 1. I'm thinking Marshall or Bateman at 37, or someone like Tylan Wallace, Nico Collins as an X or Amon-Ra St. Brown, Amari Rodgers as a slot in rounds 3 or 4 would make a lot more sense. Nobody seems to be talking about it but as much as Greg Ward is a nice story they really should be looking to upgrade him so maybe they do take a Waddle or Smith to play the Z and move Reagor to slot.

3 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

The Eagles don't win a Super Bowl without:

Nick Foles, who the FO shipped out of town;

Carson Wentz, who the FO shipped out of town;

Frank Reich, who the FO tried to remove before the SB season;

Doug Pederson, who the FO fired.

Foles was shipped out b/c he was too expensive to keep as a backup and not talented enough to start

Wentz was given every chance in the world to make that job his own for a decade.

Reich was a funny situation, before Philly he was OC in SD for two seasons, 18/17 yards/points, and 9/26. Not exactly a stellar resume. What got the FO upset was that Wentz clearly regressed after a strong start in 2016, now talent was an issue, Matthews, Sproles, Agholor, Matthews, DGB, Ertz, Burton, Celek but also an OL with Peters, Kelce, Brooks, Lane (6g). So it wasn't something out of thin air, 7-1 TD/Int his first four games, 9-13 his next 12 with a big drop in Y/A. You've just spent all these assets, told he was ready to start, and he goes backwards.

Doug was fired on merit, kept saying he could turn it around, Howie gave him what he asked for, and he couldn't deliver. Time to move on.

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Because he was complete ass his rookie year.  Got tossed around like a child when any defender tried to come at him with a power move.  Got blown up by linebackers when he went to block on a screen.  Displayed a complete lack of the mentality necessary to play the position at a pro level. 

Maybe you didn't read the scouting report? He was a project, coming out of a scheme where they didn't run the ball. Stoutland made it clear he needed to get stronger and work on his run blocking technique. That's why he fell in the draft. Reason Eagles drafted him was they could sit him behind Peters for a year, then let him start.

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You listed a T in Slater.  You think Slater is a better prospect than Sewell?  Or would rather have Kwity Paye or JOK than Sewell?  OL is a need.  Assuming Lane and Dillard are good long term solutions at Tackle is the same mindset that had us watch Jason Peters get beat up the past 4 years.  

I look at the current landscape of this team, and we have 2 fairly unknowns in Mailata and Dillard at T.  I thought Mailata proved he can play in the league, and he's only gonna get better.  I also can't see how they'd give up on Dillard after what they invested in him, and he wasn't bad at LT his rookie year.  As pathetic as this landscape is, the T position is a little bit of an unknown, which is actually better than where we stand almost everywhere else on the roster.  Unknown at corner, LB, WR, and even QB would be an upgrade from where they're currently at.

Outside of drafting Sewell or Slater at 12 (definitely not trading up), there looks to be a good amount of talent available on the interior at 37, maybe even 70.  I'd rather they use one those picks for someone like Dickerson or Wyatt Davis, or even wait until the 3rd to draft your boy Trey Smith.  Between Kelce retiring soon, a potential Seumalo upgrade, and another Brandon Brooks season ending injury, the interior of this OL will be a disaster sooner rather than later.  

Archived