Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Please give me the broad strokes of how that will happen.  They currently have 7 million in cap space with 49 players under contract if this entire rookie class is on the roster, and will need 10 + million to sign the three first round picks if they get and use all 3 of those picks.

Mike - I'm not a capologist.  I go by the various articles written by the pundits on the cap situation.  There are too many variables for us to be able to accurately calculate the cap for a team.  We don't know Ertz' situation.  We don't know if the higher paid veterans will restructure.  One thing we do know - the front office is more adept at managing the cap than you or i.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-nflpa-agree-2022-salary-cap-208-million-miles-sanders-dallas-goedert/

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/increased-salary-cap-in-2022-is-great-news-for-eagles

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Well, we started this offseason being the team in the worst cap shape some $75M over the cap.  Yet managed to get under and still be able to make some solid signings (Harris, Kerrigan, etc).  I get the disdain in borrowing from future years but it the end it works so ... 

First, we were 43.187 million over the cap, not 75 million.  And when we started, we had 73.3 million in 2022 cap space, and 136.8 million in 2023 cap space.  As we stand today, we have 20.6 million in 2022 cap space, and 91.9 million in 2023 cap space.  We removed 97.491 million in 2022/2023 cap space doing all the restructures and signings.

Wilson, Harris, Flacco and Kerrigan have a combined cap hit in 2022 of 6.8 million and they will not even be on the roster.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

First, we were 43.187 million over the cap, not 75 million.  And when we started, we had 73.3 million in 2022 cap space, and 136.8 million in 2023 cap space.  As we stand today, we have 20.6 million in 2022 cap space, and 91.9 million in 2023 cap space.  We removed 97.491 million in 2022/2023 cap space doing all the restructures and signings.

Wilson, Harris, Flacco and Kerrigan have a combined cap hit in 2022 of 6.8 million and they will not even be on the roster.

That's inaccurate.  Check the link in the very first post (copied and pasted for your convenence):

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-reportedly-restructure-2-contracts-begin-process-get-under-2021-cap

Regarding those players you listed, I have a feeling 2021 is more of a "let's see how the fit in before we give thought to extending them" process with both Wilson and Harris.  

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

That's inaccurate.  Check the link in the very first post (copied and pasted for your convenence):

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-reportedly-restructure-2-contracts-begin-process-get-under-2021-cap

Regarding those players you listed, I have a feeling 2021 is more of a "let's see how the fit in before we give thought to extending them" process with both Wilson and Harris.  

That is also inaccurate.  

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/philadelphia-eagles-salary-cap-situation-2021/

After a poor season for the Philadelphia Eagles, they enter the 2021 NFL offseason with several concerns regarding their cap space. As of January 19th, the Eagles are $53 million over the projected salary cap in 2021. What options do the Eagles have as they look to get under the projected $175 million salary cap before the new league year begins on March 17th?

I started tracking March 4th when the cap was projected to be set at 182.5 million, which it was set at March 10th.  Based on that 182.5 million number, the Eagles were 43.187 million over the cap on March 4th,.

17 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That is also inaccurate.  

I had seen other sources claiming we were $70-75 over the projected cap but don't really care enough to go digging to find them.  Either way, we were waaaaaaaaayyyyy over and managed to get under and still make some decent moves.  It's a shame Howie made such a mess out of the cap in the first place ... he was misguided thinking our window remained wide open after the championship year hoping to win another.  So even though I didn't think we were still going to be able to compete among the elite, I understand his reasoning for getting us into cap hell.  And he worked his way out of it.  This was going to be a multi year fix (just as the roster is).    

On 5/26/2021 at 10:37 PM, MillerTime said:

We can do the same thing with Cox, Brooks, or Slay that we did with Alshon and Jackson this year. Restructure and june 1st cut. 2 of the 3. The other we will cut or trade straight up. It will take us up to around 30 million in cap space. With that we can sign around 3-4 good players, 2-3 stop gaps, and sign our rookies (3-4 top 50). And @downundermike will hate all of it.

If true, sounds good to me.

We are currently at a little of 8 million in cap space.

cut/trade Ertz and save 8.5

We may sign Wright or Nelson but we should carry over at least 12 million of cap space to 2022 if we don’t. Rookies should take 3.7 million. 

With @downundermike projection of 8 million under the cap for next year that should give us 20 million.

That’s before we cut or trade players for next year and the rookies for next year but 2022 shouldn’t be a problem.

This could change if we sign or trade for any more players this year though.

3 hours ago, MillerTime said:

We are currently at a little of 8 million in cap space.

cut/trade Ertz and save 8.5

We may sign Wright or Nelson but we should carry over at least 12 million of cap space to 2022 if we don’t. Rookies should take 3.7 million. 

With @downundermike projection of 8 million under the cap for next year that should give us 20 million.

That’s before we cut or trade players for next year and the rookies for next year but 2022 shouldn’t be a problem.

This could change if we sign or trade for any more players this year though.

I am seeing current cap space as 6.02 million.  Deduct 3.6 million to sign pick, makes it 2.42 million.  add 8.5 if they do something with Ertz, that is 11 million.

Once the season starts, the top 51 formula no longer applies, and all players under contract apply to the cap.

So deduct 1.7 million for players 52 and 53, 9.3 million.  They will need some of that if players go on IR and have to be replaced.  

So at the very most, they are rolling over 3-5 million into 2022, giving you a possible 25 million in cap space.

Then if they sign a Steven Nelson or KJ Wright, that contract will be spread across 2021 and 2022 just like they did for Wilson, Flacco, Harris and Kerrigan.  I would guess right now if they sign one of those two players, they are going to end the season, with rollover, at just under 20 million in 2022 cap space.

Also worth noting that after this season as it stands Goedert, Mailata, Barnett and Sweat are all Free agents, based on last year there's no way the team can afford to lose all 4, and if Mailata and Sweat play at the same level or if Mailata kicks on again after taking 1st teams reps from the start of pre season, they aren't going to be on cheap deals.

Is Cox a restructure candidate or did we already? We are losing leverage in any getting compensation for Ertz by not having enough money to sign our final rookie.

12 hours ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Is Cox a restructure candidate or did we already? We are losing leverage in any getting compensation for Ertz by not having enough money to sign our final rookie.

We have the money to sign our final rookie. The hold up is most likely the injury language.

12 hours ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

He's only got this year and next under contract, so to make any real savings you'd have to extend him and give him more guaranteed money and I don't think you do that at this point in the teams trajectory with a 31 year old DT with a decade on the clock, if at the end of the season you thought we were close and he had a couple of years in him you might do it.

Rookie contracts updated on OTC.

On March 4th when I started tracking this, all I heard was don't worry, the Eagles have 73 million in cap space for 2022.

Today, June 11th, the Eagles have 12.84 million in 2022 cap space.

On that same day March 4th, the Eagles had 136.8 million in 2023 cap space.

Today, June 11th, the Eagles have 79.9 million in 2023 cap space.

Taking out the rookie contracts, Howie's restructuring has had a negative cap impact for 2022-2023 of 97.5 million.

• 3 months later...

Cap situation after the Cox restructure, and the Mailata and Sweat extensions.

Eagles are now locked in with Cox through the end of the 2023 season.  Could have gotten out of his contract after this year with some pretty good cap savings ( 10+ million ), now no out until after 2023.

https://overthecap.com/player/fletcher-cox/1824/

For the total cap picture, starting March 4 when I began tracking, cap space was

2022 - 73.3 million

2023 - 136.8 million

Today, with all the kicking the can down the road

2022 - 8.9 million ( 38 players under contract )

2023 - 52.8 million ( 27 players under contract )

And before anyone says the cap is going to explode with the new TV deals, 2022 is based on the 208.2 million cap ceiling that was announced earlier this year, and 2023 is based on the expected 225 million cap.

The massive explosion is expected in 2024 with a jump to 256 million.  Eagles only have 124 million, just under half the cap space available, with only 13 players under contract.

Here is my google spreadsheet showing the changes since March 4th.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tF3yanEJI265hP5FH6PVCZDmTt5QQxDye3gmz2wRy5s/edit?usp=sharing